Author Topic: Licensing problem with Agilent/Keysight 9000 series scope upgrade  (Read 2384 times)

Offline CluelessTopic starter

• Contributor
I have a properly licensed MSO9404A that runs Windows XP. It would be attractive to upgrade the scope to run Windows 7 like the current models. Under Win 7, the newest Infiniium software can be installed and it supports some attractive new features. For an experiment I tried a clean install of my own copy of Win7 Ultimate, which is all that I had. Almost everything seemed to work properly and the scope runs. However, all the features are turned off since the license is no good. It is no good because in the Win 7 environment, the hostid comes out wrong, so the license file does not work. The hardware, including motherboard, and the disk serial number are still the same. So there must be something else that is leading to the change in the hostid that the license manager is coming up with. Or possibly the license manager uses a different algorithm, and the old license file could never work with any Win7 software. Does anyone know, or have some experience to share in this regard ?

I might also add that it would be tempting to buy the new motherboard and Win 7 package from Keysight. However, the part alone costs $3400 and has to be installed by Keysight. If one could use the original license with Win7 then there would be a path to much lower cost upgrade.

Clueless

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Re: Licensing problem with Agilent/Keysight 9000 series scope upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:49:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I'll run this by the team here and see what they say.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 10:21:13 pm »
Hi Clueless,

Can you verify if your scope is online and not running in offline mode? What model does it say under Help->About Infiniium...  ?

Disclaimer: Win7 Ultimate is not and will not be officially supported - all of our QA is for Win7 Embedded.

Offline CluelessTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:00:08 am »
Thanks for your help Daniel. The scope is definitely on-line with software 05.75.00214. I was able to run through the calibration with it. The about screen shows it as DSO9404A, and nothing in the option list. I was expecting MSO and three more options. The serial number is correct and the option ID number matches the hostid in the license file. The hostid shown in the about screen is completely different. It starts with PCSERNO. The license file that works under XP says HOSTID=VDH=<...>.

I understand Win 7 embedded; that is obviously more appropriate. I actually downloaded a trial version from MS for my first go at it. However, I was not sure about what to include in the OS installation. Also I mistakenly installed the 32b version before learning that the scope software required the 64b version. The 64b version of Win 7 Ultimate addressed those two things for the experiment. I would not hesitate to switch back to Win 7 embedded if that would further the cause.

CL

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:12 am »
Can you send me a PM with your e-mail address? it'll be easier to work things out that way.

Thanks!

Offline ua4yhz

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 11:49:31 am »
Also faced with such a problem in DSO9404A.
But everything was solved quite simply.
It is enough to manually enter the license keys into the license file.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 11:52:06 am by ua4yhz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf