Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 469853 times)

thals and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2025 on: May 22, 2018, 04:06:51 pm »

Actually these CRTs are a bit of an achilles heel of them. Something in the electron gun slowly degrades as its operating, so the units that have had lots of use behind them start developing a blurry image. They don't seam to get any burn in tho. Not that you should worry about it too much since the degradation is very slow, just that these things are old and some have racked up a lot of service hours.

Similar displays are used in some other gear so someone has created a LCD retrofit kit for it that they sell. It taps into the "graphics card" and pulls digital data from it to give you a pixel perfect image, even with separate colors for the traces.

I have one of these SAs and i thought about upgrading it to LCD but the CRT in mine is still in pretty good condition and the upgrade kit does cost a bit.

Those LCD's do look nice, no doubt about it.

I did do a lite version of the KE5FX 'rejuvenation' process on on an 8753B VNA not long ago - which has the similar XYZ type display and it came up quite nicely. It had a few faulty pots as well which I fixed first.

So I'm thinking I'll try and fix any faults, and then, if needed, try the CRT recovery process on this. If it goes bad, or if the CRT dies quickly afterwards then I'll have no choice but to fork out for the LCD :)

Offline Oldtestgear

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2026 on: May 29, 2018, 08:38:37 pm »
Not sure if this really counts as a "score" but I was very pleased with the price paid.

Keysight were running a 30% (max.) trade in offer on their scopes until the end of March this year.  With a few days to go  I asked about trading in my Kenwood 5MHz two channel scope that I bought many years ago for a few £s.  After their initial reaction ( disbelief & possibly horror at such a thing being offered) they finally agreed to a 30% discount on a nice shiny new DSO4024A. I think there may have wanted to see IF I would actually splash the cash or was a time waster.

Anyway it arrived last week & I am very pleased with my new toy as well as the substantial sum I saved.

Score?

I think so but others may disagree. This does show that I bit of cheek can go along way though.

Phil

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2027 on: May 29, 2018, 08:42:08 pm »
Oh very nice trick you pulled there :-+

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tinkertubes Lab
« Reply #2028 on: June 01, 2018, 05:51:35 am »
Today I picked up those two beauties for a reasonable price of 150€ each, including a nice car trip with beautiful sights from Frankfurt to Stuttgart  :-+. Both seem to work, they just need some cleaning and adjusting. Now I should start hunting down a "tripple nickel" 555 to complete the collection of the "big ones"...
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir
Ysjoelfir @ Tinkertubes Lab

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, GerryBags

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2029 on: June 01, 2018, 05:55:56 am »
That 3A5 plug-in looks interesting, could it be the first ever implementation of an 'Autoset' button (in a scope)?
Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
HP 54701A & HP 1143A
« Reply #2030 on: June 01, 2018, 06:03:43 am »
Active probe HP 54701A + the probe's power HP 1143A

Offline xwarp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2031 on: June 01, 2018, 06:18:00 pm »

So I'm thinking I'll try and fix any faults, and then, if needed, try the CRT recovery process on this. If it goes bad, or if the CRT dies quickly afterwards then I'll have no choice but to fork out for the LCD :)

Would be worth it in my opinion.

I picked up a nice 8568B for a low enough price a while back that if I had to do the LCD, I'd still be in the unit for less than $600.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2032 on: June 01, 2018, 06:56:11 pm »

Would be worth it in my opinion.

I picked up a nice 8568B for a low enough price a while back that if I had to do the LCD, I'd still be in the unit for less than $600.

Nicely done. I just love using mine, it does lack the modern digital features, but the usability and performance is of the highest order.

I paid about $1050 USD for mine. No shipping was needed though, which might have cost me $500 more, it was a decent deal.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2033 on: June 01, 2018, 10:26:47 pm »
Just pulled the trigger on this...
My Backman RMS-225 (pre production, beta issued for field testing. )
Took it;s last dive off the bench. 28+ years of reliable service, time for retirement.
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/372-U1241B

Note to Dave:
I would have bought one of your meters however, I need this NOW!, I want to get one of your meters for a spare.
Sue AF6LJ
Test Equipment Addict, And Proud Of It.

Online bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2034 on: June 02, 2018, 12:26:43 pm »
Keysight were running a 30% (max.) trade in offer on their scopes until the end of March this year.  With a few days to go  I asked about trading in my Kenwood 5MHz two channel scope that I bought many years ago for a few £s.  After their initial reaction ( disbelief & possibly horror at such a thing being offered) they finally agreed to a 30% discount on a nice shiny new DSO4024A. I think there may have wanted to see IF I would actually splash the cash or was a time waster.

Score?

I think so but others may disagree. This does show that I bit of cheek can go along way though.

I think that's a massive score on selling your 5 MHz scope! :-DD Well done.
I TEA.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2035 on: June 05, 2018, 10:38:13 pm »
Just acquired this from a friend in non working condition.
The +5V supply was repaired and in the process I managed to break the +40V supply.
Fixed. and all appears to be working.
Just a basic HP-8901A modulation analyzer.

No you don't get top see the repair. No smoke got let out, however I don't consider a transistor bodged to the back of a PCB to be up to my standard of quality.
But Hey!
The SOB works!
Sue AF6LJ

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #2036 on: June 06, 2018, 05:15:28 am »
Saved this stuff from beeing scrapped:

An ENI 13.56MHz / 300W RF generator, was probably used for some kind of plasma stuff,
Prema 2080 Scanners,
Some guts of another ENI 25kHz to 125kHz / 800W plasma generation power supply that someone else decided to take apart before. The controller board, containing some interesting ICs like the MPY634, the impedance matching output transformer and the driver amplifier stage.

The scanners appear to work, I haven't tested the RF generator yet, I don't have a suitable dummy load / attenuator. If it works, maybe one can build a plasma speaker driver from it? I've got little use for a 13.56 MHz CW source alone.

Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #2037 on: June 06, 2018, 08:09:06 pm »
A free 7603 non working mainframe.
A few hours of time found 3 dead electros (short)  had taken out two rectifiers and a PCB trace (hiding above the transformer). I had to buy the parts and the plug-ins. Those big electros aren't cheap.
She lives!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2038 on: June 06, 2018, 08:33:18 pm »
A few hours of time found 3 dead electros (short)  had taken out two rectifiers and a PCB trace (hiding above the transformer). I had to buy the parts and the plug-ins. Those big electros aren't cheap.
She lives!
Hell that looks tidy, congrats on your score.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2039 on: June 06, 2018, 10:04:46 pm »
Lots of good stuff, our members have scored lately.
:)

I have acquired more, we will roll it out as time permits, and gaps in current project's progress will allow.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2040 on: June 07, 2018, 12:28:08 am »
Saved this stuff from beeing scrapped:

An ENI 13.56MHz / 300W RF generator, was probably used for some kind of plasma stuff,
Prema 2080 Scanners,
Some guts of another ENI 25kHz to 125kHz / 800W plasma generation power supply that someone else decided to take apart before. The controller board, containing some interesting ICs like the MPY634, the impedance matching output transformer and the driver amplifier stage.

The scanners appear to work, I haven't tested the RF generator yet, I don't have a suitable dummy load / attenuator. If it works, maybe one can build a plasma speaker driver from it? I've got little use for a 13.56 MHz CW source alone.

You could power 6 Metcal/Thermaltronics soldering irons from the generator  :-//

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #2041 on: June 07, 2018, 01:49:52 am »
You could power 6 Metcal/Thermaltronics soldering irons from the generator  :-//
Yes, but this would require an appropriate power splitter.

Anyway, I've got three of the low frequency Metcal (MFR single tool) supplies sitting in my pile of stuff, they came from the same scrapyard, but neither irons nor stands ???

Safety devices hinder evolution

Online bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2042 on: June 07, 2018, 02:39:04 am »
She lives!

Looks great, Rob! Another one saved from the brink of destruction.
I TEA.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2043 on: June 19, 2018, 10:58:51 am »
HP 5340A - Nixie Version Option 003

$70USD + frt Score or just another millstone not sure yet. Internal oscillator works, Nixies light up :-+ Inputs non responsive  :--

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2044 on: June 19, 2018, 01:29:57 pm »
Hopefully a good cleaning and re-seating the cards may be all it needs (unconnected input looks grungy to me).  ;)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2045 on: June 19, 2018, 05:05:08 pm »
Don't be terribly surprised if it turns out to be the big hybrid at the upper right corner of the fourth crosswise board from the rear in your second photo.  In my (admittedly limited) experience, that seems to be a weak spot in these counters.  :-\

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2046 on: June 19, 2018, 05:50:56 pm »
Worst case with fault finding I could threaten to Clockise it's Nixies  >:D

This is mainly for fun as I don't do any RF stuff and the 5326A is working nicely. #becausenixie
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Online bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2047 on: June 20, 2018, 04:05:19 am »
I could threaten to Clockise it's Nixies  >:D

Woah! :o
I TEA.

Offline Haatveit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2048 on: June 20, 2018, 04:33:30 am »
Does it count as a score if the price is 4 digits? Well, it's a score for me... Or the seller. I'm not quite sure.

54642D with brand new accessories included. I think I may need to head over to the TEA thread sometime soon, I've got my hands on 4 new (old!) pieces of equipment in the last 30 days  :-[

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2049 on: June 20, 2018, 04:42:30 am »
Nice one, i always liked the MegaZoom ASIC scopes. Its digital yet still feels so analog with its nice speed, responsiveness and intensity gradation.

So what are the other 3 pieces of gear?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf