Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 459180 times)

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2125 on: September 05, 2018, 04:14:38 am »
May well be. I'll send you a PM anyways. Should give you a chuckle at least ;)
eBay shop with all the gear you need!
FS: Agilent 54815A, 54825A, R&S CMU200, CRTU, SFU, SMIQ06L, SFU, HP8714B, 8595E, Marconi 6201B, Lecroy WP 960,950, 9354TM, THS720P, Anritsu MG3671A 2.75G I/Q RF gen, MS8604A 8.5GHz SA, Keithley 238 SMU

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2126 on: September 24, 2018, 07:37:48 am »
Scored a new Analog Discovery 2  on eBay for $100.  It was listed for $150 but thought I'd put in an offer of $100 and it was accepted.  :-+

I already own an AD1 but I like it so much and am afraid it I will eventually kill it - so I couldn't pass up the chance to get a second one for a good price. 

Hmm - I wonder if the software will let me run 2 instances on the same computer? A 4 channel AD?  Probably not. But I do have 2 laptops I could run side by side... :)

Online bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2127 on: September 24, 2018, 02:34:31 pm »
Nice score, mtdoc! That's the kind of price I see used AD1 sell for.

Yes, you can run multiple instances of the Wave software. Just choose the AD1 on one instance and the AD2 on the other. Then, utilize the external trigger input(s) to sync them up.
EEVblog is the place to be for TEA.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2128 on: September 24, 2018, 02:55:07 pm »
Nice score, mtdoc! That's the kind of price I see used AD1 sell for.
Thanks. Yeah, the funny thing is I offered $100 for this used AD1 (still available for $130) and was rejected.  That is still a reasonable price for a AD1 but I'm a stingy bastard - especially when I really don't *need* something.

Yes, you can run multiple instances of the Wave software. Just choose the AD1 on one instance and the AD2 on the other. Then, utilize the external trigger input(s) to sync them up.
  Cool! Thanks. :-+

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2129 on: October 10, 2018, 11:46:38 am »
A couple more recent scores from bottom-feeding on eBay.

An HP 8662A RF generator sold as "working", and it basically was, but a couple of the synthesizer loops were intermittently losing lock. A few adjustments cleared it up, and now working fine. $300.

A Tektronix 492 spectrum analyzer. Sold as "needs work", needs new PSU caps and has a touchy rotary encoder.  CRT nice and bright without phosphor burns, and mixer/attenuator working OK. $250.
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz or bust
« Reply #2130 on: October 17, 2018, 01:49:09 pm »
Late night ebay shopping again. Had to reload the listing 5 times, just kept reading it over and over wondering what I was missing. The listing used a "stock" image and not the real product but the price was crazy low. I figured what the heck and clicked the buy it now button.

I was very pleased when this arrived today:

Agilent 85093C 300 kHz to 9 GHz 2 port E-Cal unit with male and female 3.5 mm connectors, the box, USB cable and both torque wrenches. Last cal was in 2016(not bad at all). All for the whopping price of $100 USD + $16.81 for shipping. I can only assume it was a pricing error as they are usually listed for 15 to 20 times that. I figured maybe they would just issue a refund but instead it was shipped. Not my best ebay deal, but it sure rates up there.

Once everything was warmed up I performed a cal using it and then connected my mechanical cal kit to both ports - the return loss looks excellent!
Now if only I can find a cheap one that happens to go to 26.5 GHz to match the full range of the VNA. :)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 05:23:57 pm by TheSteve »
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Online rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #2131 on: October 17, 2018, 02:05:25 pm »

Now if only I can find a cheap one that happens to go to 26.5 GHz to match the full range of the VNA. :)

That is awesome....those little gems are $$$$$$

What VNA do you have?
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2132 on: October 17, 2018, 04:03:05 pm »
Now that's not a brain that's a steal!

Also curious about the VNA since the things are expensive even at a few Ghz and rapidly go up from there

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2133 on: October 17, 2018, 07:45:30 pm »
Late night ebay shopping again.
You have been lucky many times.
Great catch!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline utopiated

• Contributor
« Reply #2134 on: October 18, 2018, 08:25:35 pm »
I'm rather new to the field having only a bit over a year at community college as an electronics technician, so I've been trying to collect some basic pieces for my home setup. I have a few pieces of older equipment that I got pretty cheap from my sister's university to fix up and resell to pay for some newer gear to keep.  I'll have to double check the model numbers in the morning for some, but I have
a tektronix logic analyzer for $40,
a nicolet 3091 oscilloscope for $35, but the CRT doesn't work in it and it's only 500khz,
a HP 4329A high resistance meter for $10 that only needed the glass reglued (it was sold because someone grabbed it, pushed the glass in and wedged the meter in place but otherwise works fine),
two Tektronix CFG250 2mhz function generators for $10/ea,
and a tektronix CDM250 multimeter for $10.  These will be listed on ebay soon to fund the gear I bought that I plan to keep for myself.

So far for myself I've purchased
an Extech EX623 handheld DMM for $70,
a Bitscope BS310 USB Oscilloscope ("BS310 combines a dual channel digital storage oscilloscope and 8 channel logic analyzer with an arbitrary waveform generator, real-time spectrum analyzer and data recorder in a virtually indestructible package") for $150 + a free raspberry pi,
a GW Instek GDM-8251A multimeter for $170,
a Siglent SDS1202X-E oscilloscope for $150,
a GW INSTEK GPS-3303 power supply for $100

Not amazing deals, but so far I'm still able to make profit off the sales I think lol

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz or bust
« Reply #2135 on: October 19, 2018, 04:36:46 am »

What VNA do you have?

The VNA is actually the subject of a story for another day - hopefully coming soon.  >:D
VE7FM

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2136 on: October 19, 2018, 11:22:52 am »
Oh, it's only a cable.

But at 1.99+4.99€, I consider it a good grab.

Luckily, the seller did not mention 'triax' in the headline.

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2137 on: October 19, 2018, 02:46:40 pm »
Oh, it's only a cable.

Sweet!!!  That was a steal!  Congrats!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2138 on: October 19, 2018, 04:04:53 pm »
Now that's a score! The connector on the end of that cable is worth more than the price and shipping combined.

How did you manage to find it then? Just happened to come across it while looking for some other cable?

Online bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2139 on: October 20, 2018, 02:50:27 pm »
Oh, it's only a cable.

Sweet!!!  That was a steal!  Congrats!

Yeah, no kidding. Nice catch, NS!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2140 on: October 21, 2018, 08:34:09 am »
Now that's a score! The connector on the end of that cable is worth more than the price and shipping combined.

How did you manage to find it then? Just happened to come across it while looking for some other cable?
By foot, so to say. While I use various searches, I go through the T&M section manually after selecting either 'auctions' or just 'anything except new'. In that way, I got a box full of PLCC clips for 1.- ('alte Pruefklammern' + blurry pic), besides other nice grabs.

Offline elecdonia

• Contributor
« Reply #2141 on: November 10, 2018, 04:34:04 am »
For all the people who work with audio/stereo gear:

For many years I've wanted a Sound Technology ST1701A oscillator/distortion analyzer unit.
Finally found one priced right ( < $150 USD) on ebay. Was listed as "not working/for parts or repair only"
It arrived yesterday.
Awesome piece of gear. Really well constructed. Nothing appears to be missing or damaged except for AC mains fuseholder cap
I will be giving it a thorough inspection and will replace electrolytic caps which have high ESR before I start using it.
I'm 100% positive that I can get this unit to perform perfectly.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Online bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2142 on: November 10, 2018, 06:48:54 am »
Nice one, elecdonia. They're also known to have switch issues. So, you'll want to check all of them (there sure are a lot).

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Online GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2143 on: November 10, 2018, 08:25:55 am »

For many years I've wanted a Sound Technology ST1701A oscillator/distortion analyzer unit.

Where's the "drool" emoji?   ;D

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2144 on: November 10, 2018, 11:52:36 am »

Finally found one priced right ( < $150 USD) on ebay. Was listed as "not working/for parts or repair only"
It arrived yesterday.
Awesome piece of gear. Really well constructed. Nothing appears to be missing or damaged except for AC mains fuseholder cap
I will be giving it a thorough inspection and will replace electrolytic caps which have high ESR before I start using it.
I'm 100% positive that I can get this unit to perform perfectly.

The price was certainly right, if you can restore it into prime working condition.
Can I ask what is the draw to this particular unit? It seems to be a stand-out model, I am curious to know why.
I had been using a HP 8903B, and upgraded to a Panasonic VP-7722A about 1 year ago (or was it two?). I sold the HP on the forum here just weeks ago. The Panny is quite capable, with a residual of 0.00023% THD+N or 0.00008% (0.8 ppm) THD only, first 20 harmonics.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2145 on: November 13, 2018, 08:12:34 am »
Well, couldn't keep my fingers still, so I snagged an assorted lot of RF T&M modules,
comprising of 2 schottky detectors from Aertech and 3 tunnel detectors from TRW, a Wiltron modulator, a PIN attenuator and a DC block by Americon.

And I finally aquired a Anritsu Sitemaster S251B, with the main purpose to loan it to the company where I work. They will pay for calibration, new battery and will be responsible for repair/replacement when used, plus I get something for any usage, which means that it will have paid for itself in roughly a year.
Then I will have a Sitemaster with Opt.5A+Opt.10, current calibration etc. which was essentially free.

And no, I will not let the filthy paws of our field techies touch the Sucoflex leader that comes with it, but substitute something else which I will procure on the company.

BTW, the Philips PM9355 current probe, which I mentioned in July here, is working condition!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:31:03 am by Neomys Sapiens »

Online GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2146 on: November 13, 2018, 10:04:07 am »

The price was certainly right, if you can restore it into prime working condition.
Can I ask what is the draw to this particular unit? It seems to be a stand-out model, I am curious to know why.
I had been using a HP 8903B, and upgraded to a Panasonic VP-7722A about 1 year ago (or was it two?). I sold the HP on the forum here just weeks ago. The Panny is quite capable, with a residual of 0.00023% THD+N or 0.00008% (0.8 ppm) THD only, first 20 harmonics.

The ST-17xx series was the go-to distortion measuring setup for audio magazines for literally decades; it was the first widely available meter to provide wideband measurements much better than 0.01% IIRC and was popular because it wasn't horribly expensive and could be used as a de facto standard for audio measurements.  You knew that if everyone was using a ST then you could compare numbers with confidence.  I'm sure there were other good meters, but the ST seemed to hit the sweet spot of cost, reliability and functionality.

Offline elecdonia

• Contributor
« Reply #2147 on: November 21, 2018, 08:25:24 am »
I had been using a HP 8903B, and upgraded to a Panasonic VP-7722A

I would love to have either of those!

My current THD analyzer is a HP 334A. In my opinion the ST1701A unit will be a big improvement.
I keep watching for HP 339A and 8903B on ebay, but haven't run across anything in my low-budget price range yet. I prefer buying gear in the "for parts or repair only" category because I'm pretty good at troubleshooting.

Offline elecdonia

• Contributor
« Reply #2148 on: November 21, 2018, 08:28:58 am »
Nice one, elecdonia. They're also known to have switch issues. So, you'll want to check all of them (there sure are a lot).

I agree it has way too many buttons to select frequency. Hopefully enough of them will work that I can generate/test at the frequencies I find most useful. In practice I tend to measure THD for most audio amplifiers at 2kHz rather than 1kHz.

Curious detail: There are 3 stickers inside my ST1701A that all say "DO NOT clean or lubricate the pushbutton switches"

Offline wkt

• Contributor
« Reply #2149 on: November 22, 2018, 08:22:33 am »
Salvaged two DSO8064A from being trashed, both with power supply issues.
One of them I have managed to repair and get it to boot, second still ongoing.
Will post pictures and updates!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf