Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 469519 times)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2500 on: June 17, 2019, 06:51:54 pm »
Racal Dana 1998 Universal Counter, this one has the 04E option installed, the high-stability ocxo. It's not been calibrated in a while but I will use a friends gpsdo to adjust it.

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 6.1 mit Tapatalk

Mine hadn't been calibrated for well over a decade, when they say high stability, they mean it, it was millihertz off :)
M0UAW

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tinkertubes Lab
« Reply #2501 on: June 18, 2019, 06:36:36 pm »
Just scored a small Nicolet Scientific Corporation 444A "Mini-Ubiquitous Real-Time Spectrum Analyzer" for 35 Bucks. Doesn't switch on, so I hope for an easy repair.
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir
Ysjoelfir @ Tinkertubes Lab

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2502 on: June 18, 2019, 07:01:06 pm »
Funny how we now use the term "Real time spectrum analyzer" for todays expensive fancy spectrum analyzers that do FFT on the IF for providing crazy fast sweep speeds.

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #2503 on: June 19, 2019, 03:22:01 am »
Just scored a small Nicolet Scientific Corporation 444A "Mini-Ubiquitous Real-Time Spectrum Analyzer" for 35 Bucks. Doesn't switch on, so I hope for an easy repair.

Please post a photo when the device is on (if/when you fix it, you can use Russian flux :)). I'm curious to see what it can do.

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tinkertubes Lab
« Reply #2504 on: June 19, 2019, 06:18:29 pm »
I may post a repair log for that thing :) Right now I am waiting for it to arrive.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #2505 on: June 20, 2019, 09:52:51 pm »
Racal Dana 1998 Universal Counter, this one has the 04E option installed, the high-stability ocxo. It's not been calibrated in a while but I will use a friends gpsdo to adjust it.

Mine hadn't been calibrated for well over a decade, when they say high stability, they mean it, it was millihertz off :)
I introduced "Dana" to Lady Heather and the girls were quite in tune. Just a smidgen under on the last digit Only took Dana an hour or so to warm up to her new acquaintance.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #2506 on: June 21, 2019, 12:19:22 am »

I introduced "Dana" to Lady Heather and the girls were quite in tune. Just a smidgen under on the last digit Only took Dana an hour or so to warm up to her new acquaintance.

Yeah, I like mine, good, solid counters.

One thing it took me a little while to find, press and hold the up arrow key and it'll select the 20S gate time for the extra accuracy if that's something you need.
M0UAW

The following users thanked this post: thinkfat

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #2507 on: June 21, 2019, 12:29:44 am »

Yeah, I like mine, good, solid counters.

One thing it took me a little while to find, press and hold the up arrow key and it'll select the 20S gate time for the extra accuracy if that's something you need.

Ah, that is a good hint. I was already wondering how that would work. Thanks a ton!

The following users thanked this post: CJay

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tinkertubes Lab
« Reply #2508 on: June 28, 2019, 06:31:14 pm »
Please post a photo when the device is on (if/when you fix it, you can use Russian flux :)). I'm curious to see what it can do.

I may post a repair log for that thing :) Right now I am waiting for it to arrive.

Yesterday it arrived "safely" (was thrown over the fence by DPD and dug itself 15cm deep into the ground. Idiots!). Initial very short test (it's just to hot in the lab to do any real work) showed the fans working and the High voltage for the CRT being generated, but no sign of life other than that. Not even the Power LED turned on. I am strongly thinking it may be just a power supply issue. Wish me luck :)

And by the way: The russian flux is great, I especially like the honey-like orange one.

The following users thanked this post: exe

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #2509 on: June 30, 2019, 07:05:54 am »
And by the way: The russian flux is great, I especially like the honey-like orange one.

Ask-155-vc, the one that is water-soluble?? It's pure evil, must be thoroughly cleaned or it will destroy the board, wires, everything.

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tinkertubes Lab
« Reply #2510 on: June 30, 2019, 09:49:38 am »

Ask-155-vc, the one that is water-soluble?? It's pure evil, must be thoroughly cleaned or it will destroy the board, wires, everything.

No, I was talking about FN-255 PRO. I have no idea about the specs though, it just works for me and cleaning is always done afterwards.

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #2511 on: July 01, 2019, 06:58:09 am »
No, I was talking about FN-255 PRO. I have no idea about the specs though, it just works for me and cleaning is always done afterwards.

Cool, that one has the highest resistance, approved (by the manufacturer, no independent tests) for precision and high-voltage circuits. It's also the least active (=worst soldering), actually. E-700 Pro solders better. I mostly use fn-255 pro as it's sort of safe in all situations.

Online GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2512 on: July 01, 2019, 11:43:36 am »
Not really a score, but I did pick up a KKMOON 60 MHz function generator for $85 shipped from China.  That was cheap enough for me to try one.  Now I sit, thinking to myself, 'One must have patience, Grasshopper.'
That which doesn't kill you still requires a co-pay.

Online GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2513 on: July 01, 2019, 12:03:11 pm »
Is that the FY6800 based one?  I really like mine - it does enough things that my IG5218 and Wavetek don't, to find periodic use.

Online GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2514 on: July 02, 2019, 03:16:11 am »
Is that the FY6800 based one?  I really like mine - it does enough things that my IG5218 and Wavetek don't, to find periodic use.

It is. I am looking forward to playing with it.
That which doesn't kill you still requires a co-pay.

Online TurboTom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2515 on: July 03, 2019, 02:56:02 am »
Since I must have acquired a really bad case of TEA, I placed a bid on a governmental sales of a TDS8000 sampling oscilloscope that supposedly had been used in a scientific research facility and was offered non-functional...whatever that means. I was quite surprised when I received a letter (yes, by snail-mail  :o) from the sales organization with an invoice, confirming that I got the deal! 300EUR plus tax.

I picked up the instrument which came with all the documentation, software CDs and one 50GHz sampling module included (this alone will outweigh the spendings substantially if I should decide to sell), and was clean as a whiste, not even "real" dust on the fans or inside, and as expected, found all of the three memory backup batteries to be flat. Batteries replaced, instrument calibrated, and still after power cycling I get the error of faulty NVRAM data integrity and another message that relates to calibration data incoherency. So probably I've got to replace that crappy Dallas / Maxim NVRAM module on the acquisition board which seems to fail just too frequently to be coincidence. Anyway, after calibration and without power cycling the instrument, it performs quite well.

Do I really need this monster? Surely not! But it's quite some fun to be able to enter these frequency ranges to actually qualify and quantify fast edges and high frequency signals. Since my version still came with the Windows 98 operating system, and there seems to be improved system software available for an XP O/S equipped version, this update will be next. Fortunately, the instrument came with the latest PC motherboard that should permit this update without too much hassle (I hope...).

Anyway, who can claim that he can measure rise times of 30ps... ?  8)

Cheers,
Thomas

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2516 on: July 03, 2019, 03:46:38 am »
Now that is an impressive deal for 300 bucks.

I had to pay that much just for the plugin module on my HP sampling scope.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>?
« Reply #2517 on: July 03, 2019, 05:12:10 am »
Do I really need this monster?

Yes.

Yes you do need it. If you don't believe me ask us here -

TEA Group
I am a Test Equipment Addict (TEA) - by virtue of this forum signature, I have now faced my addiction

Online bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2518 on: July 03, 2019, 10:42:25 am »
Since I must have acquired a really bad case of TEA

Yeah, it happens. You'll live.

I placed a bid on a governmental sales of a TDS8000 sampling oscilloscope that supposedly had been used in a scientific research facility and was offered non-functional...whatever that means. I was quite surprised when I received a letter (yes, by snail-mail  :o) from the sales organization with an invoice, confirming that I got the deal! 300EUR plus tax.

Quite a deal, indeed! Nice one, Tom.
I TEA.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf