Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 783855 times)

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2700 on: May 06, 2020, 07:57:56 pm »
I'm not sure this qualifies as a score, but I just picked up a Tektronix 555 dual beam scope, complete, for free.  I'm not a big fan of the 500 series and stay away from vacuum tube equipment, but this was something special.

I don't know of any other scope that had to separate the power supply from the main unit to keep the pieces to a reasonable weight.  It also consumes > 1KW so I can use it to heat my shop in the winter.  And it has all that lovely ceramic strip construction.  Now I'll have to see if I can find one of those SA plugins for it.  Clearly a project for next winter

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2701 on: May 06, 2020, 08:04:30 pm »
I'm not sure this qualifies as a score, but I just picked up a Tektronix 555 dual beam scope, complete, for free.  I'm not a big fan of the 500 series and stay away from vacuum tube equipment, but this was something special.

I don't know of any other scope that had to separate the power supply from the main unit to keep the pieces to a reasonable weight.  It also consumes > 1KW so I can use it to heat my shop in the winter.  And it has all that lovely ceramic strip construction.  Now I'll have to see if I can find one of those SA plugins for it.  Clearly a project for next winter

Nice score - that's one on my list for some day.  There were a few Teks of that era that had separate power supplies - the 551 is another just off the top of my head.  Congrats on your new beast; take good care of it!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2702 on: May 06, 2020, 10:51:05 pm »
OMG, thats a hell of a good deal for that!

I had to pay a princely 250 rupees ($3.45) for this gem. Just needed going over with isopropyl to make it gleam. Perfect!

Please stay safe!
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #2703 on: May 07, 2020, 01:25:44 am »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, wolfy007, beanflying, Simon_RL

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2704 on: May 07, 2020, 06:35:42 pm »
I am NOT hauling it out to take a pic of the insides  :-DD

This thing has something like 110 vacuum tubes.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2705 on: May 07, 2020, 08:20:49 pm »

THAT was a hell of a score!  I am jealous!  Beautiful piece of kit!  (And we will eventually want pictures of the innards, too, but you've sated us for the moment.)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline newto

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2706 on: May 13, 2020, 09:35:07 pm »
Not quite as extreme as some of the scores on here, but:

Rigol MSO1074Z for 540 CAD delivered from the Rigol clearance section.

Came with all the probes, the 16 channel digital adapter, and all the software options enabled (no need to hack it!)

Considering it was 7$ more before tax than the DS1054 I was already looking at, I'd say it's at least a little bit of a "score"

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #2707 on: May 13, 2020, 10:49:35 pm »
Didn't realize there was a separate topic. Already posted in TEA (with pics). A Topward TPS-4000 dual tracking DC power supply for US$40. Seems to be 100% functional.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3055068/#msg3055068

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2708 on: May 25, 2020, 08:31:54 pm »
Ive been told I need help, possibly true, been trying to forget I saw this a few weeks ago, but I caved....

There's somebody over in buy/sell offering an AC upgrade for those 192s, if they haven't already got one.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2709 on: May 25, 2020, 08:34:11 pm »

Given how awful they are when they let go, one wonders how Schaffner parts still get designed into anything by engineers who have experienced it.

Maybe they do it for the adrenaline ? It's like Russian roulette.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2710 on: May 27, 2020, 08:13:10 pm »
From the local gumtree, something more GAS related. All from the same seller, got to make the trip count >:D
2 used kife edge squares 100x70mm, 1 new square 100x70mm and 4 Hirschmann grab probes.
All for 50€, not dirt cheap but no bad I reckon

Offline yo0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2711 on: June 28, 2020, 09:30:33 pm »
Four Fluke 87v dmms for the equivalent to  about 304.00usd free shipping. All four near mint.

Best regards

Pio
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:50:30 pm by yo0 »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, wolfy007

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2712 on: June 29, 2020, 01:20:45 pm »
Now that is a great deal!
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2713 on: June 30, 2020, 01:53:26 am »
Agreed. Well done, yo0.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #2714 on: June 30, 2020, 04:20:57 pm »
Nice score yo0

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2715 on: July 23, 2020, 04:20:23 pm »
SCORE!!!!!

A crt for my HP 8591E spec/an that doesn't appear to have any burn in for less than a hundo shipped!

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2716 on: August 01, 2020, 07:52:22 pm »
Might not be the coolest stuff, but I got a like new Philips PM 6302 RCL bridge for less than 5 bucks from the local thrift store. Seems to work, only tried a few ranges. Not the most handy piece of kit, but I still wanted one for years  :-+

Update: Everything I threw at it (10pF up to 100uF) was withing 0,5% limits of our U1733C on 1kHz! Just one (10nF) range was a few % off. So much better than I thought. The "search" function is great too. Just connect a capacitor, set it to "search" and turn the range multiplier until you reach the range where the needle goes between min and max (too high, and the needle maxes out, too low and the needle returns to zero). It is actually quite fast using this thing. I guess a measurement from an totally unknown capacitor should take no more than 10 sec. Probably much less if used more frequently
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:46:24 pm by Smith »
Trying is the first step towards failure

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, tonyalbus

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2717 on: August 05, 2020, 03:21:25 pm »
Latest old stuff (the two little HP 721A were just to cute)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2718 on: August 05, 2020, 07:24:18 pm »
Ah, so those 721As are the precedessor series to the 6214A and related models. First time I see one of them. But the case seems to be compatible with the 466A amplifier.

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2719 on: August 06, 2020, 01:49:44 am »
Ah, so those 721As are the precedessor series to the 6214A and related models. First time I see one of them. But the case seems to be compatible with the 466A amplifier.

I must admit I havent seen the 466A nor the 6214A till you just mentioned them. The 721A I stumbled across while buying some equipment from a deceased estate, and the guy had hardcore TEA, it was an eye opener, literally a house chock full of equipment (and a shed in his back yard).

The internal layout of the 721A is almost a cross between a tube layout and circuit board. That is, most of it is on a circuit board but the power transistor, one of the adjustment potentiometers, a large capacitor, the fuse and a couple other components are all mounted on internal panels and connected via a couple tagboards like in valve based equipment. I think a nice example of crossover equipment from valve era to transistor era.

Offline eevcandies

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2720 on: August 09, 2020, 02:57:29 am »
Got a couple of these 400 Watt four-quadrant (source/sink) beastly heavy supplies (so unfortunately, including the one I previously had ,now I have 3 total.  At least they are different 400W models).  For about $95 each, was hard to resist!

What made this impossible to resist, was the 55 pounder shipping was only $30  (I've seen others at shipping cost of $120--$170)...so I was forced to bite.
These include the optional RS-232 /488 interface, which allows some form of waveform "programming" (don't yet know any details).
Channel Programming resolution is 16-bits, positive and negative.

Looks like these guys sold 4 or 5 units recently...there is one left (they seem to be listing one per week):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Measurements-Inc-The-BOS-S-Bipolar-Operational-Source-Sink/184372807091?hash=item2aed79c5b3:g:m7EAAOSwODZfGD07

info
https://us.lambda.tdk.com/products/legacy-products/pdf/bos-s.pdf

A Bipolar Operational Source/Sink power supply that provides a dozen functions in addition to delivering DC voltage and current
Four modes of operation: A bipolar power supply, delivering a positive or negative voltage. An operational power supply A sourcing  power supply, delivering positive and negative current.  More than a dozen functions.DC power supply... Electronic load......Voltage source....Power-pulse generator...Current source...Power-function generator...Direct-coupled amplifier....Variable-gain amplifier...Fast-slewing power supply....DC amplifier...AC power supply...Differential amplifier...Signal-inverting amplifier

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:14:10 am by eevcandies »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Neomys Sapiens

Offline JonM

• Supporter
« Reply #2721 on: August 10, 2020, 05:18:33 am »

I have been trying to stay away from this thread but was lured back...

In 1980-1983 I was working in a university building built in the 1800's that could get a bit cold when the steam heat was not doing the business. Luckily a Tektronix 555 on its original cart was available to use as an office heater whenever we needed it. It worked quite well for that purpose.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2722 on: August 10, 2020, 05:58:40 am »
Got a couple of these 400 Watt four-quadrant (source/sink) beastly heavy supplies (so unfortunately, including the one I previously had ,now I have 3 total.  At least they are different 400W models).  For about $95 each, was hard to resist!

What made this impossible to resist, was the 55 pounder shipping was only $30  (I've seen others at shipping cost of $120--$170)...so I was forced to bite.
These include the optional RS-232 /488 interface, which allows some form of waveform "programming" (don't yet know any details).
Channel Programming resolution is 16-bits, positive and negative.

I would have totally picked one up too if the cost of shipping it over to Europe was not so huge.
... Then again i did buy things before where the shipping cost more than the actual item.

Offline tchiwam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2723 on: August 10, 2020, 08:41:19 pm »
HAMEG 20MHz , free, all working, still using it.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2724 on: August 10, 2020, 09:26:36 pm »
HP 8642a, needs a new battery and the LCD backlight needs new bulbs. It will get white LEDs for obvious reasons. This is the 2nd unit I own.

HP8657a, fully functional afaict.

The bottom HP PSU I rescued from the scrap, a colleague of mine brought it into the office, it was private property, to have it join our regular scrap removal. Never hit the scrap pallet, straight into my car booth.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf