Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 777053 times)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #450 on: October 16, 2015, 11:33:14 pm »
I don't know if they still track such things now, but back in the day HP used to publish the serial numbers of stolen equipment (theirs and other manufacturer's as well) in their "Bench Briefs" newsletter.

http://hparchive.com/Bench_Briefs/HP-Bench-Briefs-1968-05-07.pdf

(See the second page for an example)  It's possible that high value stuff like this might still get reported and tracked; I have no idea.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #451 on: October 16, 2015, 11:49:08 pm »
I don't know if they still track such things now, but back in the day HP used to publish the serial numbers of stolen equipment (theirs and other manufacturer's as well) in their "Bench Briefs" newsletter.

http://hparchive.com/Bench_Briefs/HP-Bench-Briefs-1968-05-07.pdf

(See the second page for an example)  It's possible that high value stuff like this might still get reported and tracked; I have no idea.

-Pat

That was great idea.

@HighVoltage
If the only thing that you suspect is the price, don't worry. Could just be some great deal, it happen regularly.... :D

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #452 on: October 17, 2015, 07:38:10 am »
It is a good thing to worry, yes.

I am not worried that the police will knock on my door and that a good score turns in to a nightmare.
And I don't think there is a way that I could get punished in Germany for buying something that could have been stolen.
But there is still a bad feeling attached to the deal.

May be I can get a replacement serial sticker from Keysight, LOL!

The police must have proof that it’s stolen before they knock at your door. They also have more serious things to do.

Nice buy.  :-+  If you are worried, sell it to me.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:41:17 am by sotos »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #453 on: October 17, 2015, 02:54:39 pm »
Nice buy.  :-+  If you are worried, sell it to me.

No, I am not worried, I am happy to have it.
To the contrary, if they come and knock it will be something new.
I will be using this generator mainly for pulse applications and it works very well, down do 40 ns
Not comparable to the newer 33522A models but more than good enough for most pulse applications in the us range.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #454 on: October 19, 2015, 05:55:21 am »
Thanks to stiffman (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/list-your-test-equipment-score-here!/msg774280/#msg774280 ) for $15 postage, these:
* Philips PM 5519 Colour TV (PAL) pattern generator
* Black star 1410 video monitor tester

The PM 5519 works fine, see pics.
The 1410 I don't know yet, may need a manual. It seems to be outputting standard PAL video freq signals on PC VGA style connectors. So the LCD monitor I tried just says 'out of range'. But there are setups on the back panel, that change things.

Many people would consider PAL video gear obsolete. But I have some PAL composite cameras and monitors and other stuff, that serve perfectly in a long term project. Nice to have a good test pattern generator. I have one already but it isn't so good.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline tmbinc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #455 on: October 19, 2015, 02:32:59 pm »
I am not worried that the police will knock on my door and that a good score turns in to a nightmare.
And I don't think there is a way that I could get punished in Germany for buying something that could have been stolen.
Not trying to de-rail this thread, but in Germany, buying stolen goods ("Hehlerei") will be roughly be punished as hard as stealing the good. (It sounds excessive, but that's the historical goal). However, there needs to be proof that you knew about the fact that it was stolen; a price that's off by an order of magnitude is considered to be a strong indicator.

That said, while you got a very good deal, it's not not totally uncommon on eBay. I wouldn't be too concerned in this case, especially since you posted the serial number (so if the device should end up stolen, the owner can talk to you and resolve the issue), but it's a good thing to keep in mind.

Offline stiffman

• Contributor
« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:06 pm »
Thanks to stiffman (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/list-your-test-equipment-score-here!/msg774280/#msg774280 ) for $15 postage, these:
* Philips PM 5519 Colour TV (PAL) pattern generator
* Black star 1410 video monitor tester

The PM 5519 works fine, see pics.
The 1410 I don't know yet, may need a manual. It seems to be outputting standard PAL video freq signals on PC VGA style connectors. So the LCD monitor I tried just says 'out of range'. But there are setups on the back panel, that change things.

Many people would consider PAL video gear obsolete. But I have some PAL composite cameras and monitors and other stuff, that serve perfectly in a long term project. Nice to have a good test pattern generator. I have one already but it isn't so good.

I'm glad they went to someone who could find a use for them, I suspect they would have ended up in E-waste otherwise.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #457 on: October 20, 2015, 12:09:12 am »
Good for you guys;
There is no reason those should end up in E-Waste...
 :-+ :-+
Sue AF6LJ

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #458 on: October 22, 2015, 02:52:23 am »
HP 8714C .3 MHz - 3 GHz network analyzer advertised as not powering on and sold for parts. Received it today, it didn't turn on as expected. Checked the power supply diag LEDs on the back, the HP troubleshooting guide suggested to check the 115/230 volt selector switch based on the lights. I flipped it back and forth a few times and tried again - it now boots fine. Fingers crossed that is all it was and that it keeps working. It needs a good cleaning and I plan to try "enabling" a few options. The green screen is still plenty bright and isn't burnt in, and unlike the higher end units from the same time period this unit has VGA out - color even. What a fantastic toy to have on the bench. Connected is an HP 3db attenuator and a length of coax cable - it all looks good.

edit - best $500.00 I have spent in a long time.

Added a pic checking out a "home made" precision 50 ohm SMA load I've been using with my spectrum analyzer - looks not too bad at all.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:42:47 am by TheSteve »
VE7FM

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #459 on: October 22, 2015, 02:56:24 am »
What A Deal  :-+ :-+
Sue AF6LJ

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #460 on: October 22, 2015, 03:41:52 am »
Yeah, what a great deal. I have yet to get one of those "twiddle it a bit and it works" kinds of "scores".
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #461 on: October 22, 2015, 03:46:53 am »
Congrats!!  You got a heck of a deal there!   :-+  Nice when it's something simple.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: October 22, 2015, 08:35:37 am »
HP 8714C .3 MHz - 3 GHz network analyzer

edit - best $500.00 I have spent in a long time.
What a great deal you got.
They are usually very expensive!
Congratulations.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline dkozel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #463 on: October 28, 2015, 04:04:21 pm »
Big thanks (or was it bitter bitter remonstrations?) to Dave for sharing the UK NVIDIA auction. I now have an R&S SMIQ 03B with OCXO, data generator, modulation coder, and arbitrary waveform generator. Also pinched a "Kewithley" 427 Current Amplifier and Perkens Elmer (now Signal Recovery) 5184 voltage preamplifier.

With pickup, tax, and auction cut I should probably be remorseful, but it's my birthday tomorrow...  ::) So that's a pretty good excuse!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #464 on: October 28, 2015, 05:11:26 pm »
Wow, quite a haul. Happy birthday!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #465 on: October 28, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »
DMM Mastech MS8260 - Free from DealExtreme, using some points and gift card.

A Keysight DSO1072B (2 ch, 70Mhz oscilloscope): US$ 260, from Farnel Newark. Not exactly a steal, but they are often sold for over US$ 800. Since Farnel Newark is closing its operations in Brazil, they're having a huge clearance sale. That's also how I got a Fluke 17B+ and a 117.

OTOH, I've given away computers, printers, monitors (CRT and LCD), Arduino boards...
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline AmbientSix

« Reply #466 on: October 28, 2015, 05:41:13 pm »
A co-worker of mine just scored a Matsusada RK series benchtop supply from the scrap bin.  Another subsidiary of our parent company in our building tossed it.  Turns out the only thing wrong was that some idiot set the config on it to limit to below 1V...  A quick parameter reset using a PC and he now has an awesome bench supply.  I managed to score 3 Agilent turbomolecular vac pumps that still spin freely so who knows what is "wrong" with those!

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #467 on: October 28, 2015, 09:52:48 pm »
I managed to score 3 Agilent turbomolecular vac pumps that still spin freely so who knows what is "wrong" with those!
Interesting! Do you plan to use them in a project?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #468 on: October 29, 2015, 07:32:47 am »
I managed to score 3 Agilent turbomolecular vac pumps that still spin freely so who knows what is "wrong" with those!

With or without controller units?
I've been looking for a turbomolecular pump (that works, ie with controller, that I can afford) for sooooo long. You lucky bastard.

Invariably the turbo pumps on ebay are without controller. The same seller may or may not also be selling some controllers, that may or may not be compatible or broken. All at stupid prices, How many of these things ever sell?
It seems incredibly stupid for sellers to separate the two parts, which are completely useless independently.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #469 on: October 29, 2015, 10:16:35 am »
Wow, quite a haul. Happy birthday!

+1  :-+ Have a good one!

Offline TSL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #470 on: October 29, 2015, 09:07:31 pm »

I've been looking for a turbomolecular pump (that works, ie with controller, that I can afford) for sooooo long. You lucky bastard.

Invariably the turbo pumps on ebay are without controller. The same seller may or may not also be selling some controllers, that may or may not be compatible or broken. All at stupid prices, How many of these things ever sell?
It seems incredibly stupid for sellers to separate the two parts, which are completely useless independently.

So... what are you guys using those for ?
VK2XAX :: QF56if :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSATVK

Offline AmbientSix

« Reply #471 on: October 30, 2015, 01:23:33 am »

They were in the "scrap" bin but they are perfectly clean (class 2 ISO clean room IIRC) with freely spinning rotors.  ONE has the controller.  I don't have any way to test them, really, since spinning them up (if the controller even works) in atmosphere would end badly :)  I have no use for them and grabbed them because A) cool as hell and B) I have a "problem" lol.  I have a lot of industrial parts in boxes and getting rid of stuff will make the wife happy :)  I will have to post what I have in the classifieds.  Intrinsically safe barrier modules (ATEX),ATEX 3-phase stainless food grade pumps (used for PURE IPA pumping), Turck parts, WAGO parts, Omron PLCs, VFDs, Galil motion controllers, sensors, etc.  When the company moved they scrapped all kinds of equipment.  I missed my chance to grab some pure copper "targets" from our PVD tools, unfortunately...they were 80lbs each.  But I do have some Gold test wafers which are cool:)  Every now and again I see a 2 or 10KV power supply in there so if anyone wanted one I would gladly grab it and ask postage.  I never grabbed one since I have to draw the line somewhere before I end up on Hoarders...

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #472 on: October 30, 2015, 03:25:54 am »
They were in the "scrap" bin but they are perfectly clean (class 2 ISO clean room IIRC) with freely spinning rotors.  ONE has the controller.  I don't have any way to test them, really, since spinning them up (if the controller even works) in atmosphere would end badly :)  I have no use for them and grabbed them because A) cool as hell and B) I have a "problem" lol.  I have a lot of industrial parts in boxes and getting rid of stuff will make the wife happy :)  I will have to post what I have in the classifieds.  Intrinsically safe barrier modules (ATEX),ATEX 3-phase stainless food grade pumps (used for PURE IPA pumping), Turck parts, WAGO parts, Omron PLCs, VFDs, Galil motion controllers, sensors, etc.  When the company moved they scrapped all kinds of equipment.  I missed my chance to grab some pure copper "targets" from our PVD tools, unfortunately...they were 80lbs each.  But I do have some Gold test wafers which are cool:)  Every now and again I see a 2 or 10KV power supply in there so if anyone wanted one I would gladly grab it and ask postage.  I never grabbed one since I have to draw the line somewhere before I end up on Hoarders...

Hey, post some of that stuff in market place here. Doesn't cost you anything and I guess quite a few guys here would be happy to get cheap/free HV-PSU. Including me, if it's a nice one and shipping isn't too much.

Would have also grabbed those turbo pumps. If you want to test them, you have to close the big end and attach a rotary vane pump on the bottom flange of the pump. Since you probably don't have big flanges to shut the big end, you can also bolt two pumps together and seal the small port of second pump with small flange. Then evacuate the pump and start the controller and see whether the pump runs smoothly.

If it does so, you can list it on ebay as working replacement. Since those pumps occasionally crash, and OEM replacements cost $$$$, you can sometimes get quite good money from them, especially if someone needs replacement quickly.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #473 on: October 30, 2015, 09:26:02 pm »

Hmm... should I take that as saying you're prepared to sell them to me cheaply? I have a US re-shipper account, so you'd only have to post them to CA USA. But pack for international shipping. I can advise if needed.
Are the three pumps all the same? And the controller has the cable to the pump, and the plug fits?
What are the model numbers? If you're interested in selling, can you show pictures?
If they are all the same, or different but the controller is compatible with more than one, I'd like to get them all. Better chance of getting one working, and also having spares is good.

I have a project I've been working towards for years, part of which is a large vacuum chamber. I'm at the stage where I have to decide whether I'm going to give up on ever finding an affordable turbo pump, and just go with the big oil diffusion pump I have. I'd rather not, since oil diffusion pumps seem like they are a major pain in the butt. Backstreaming, oil everywhere, potential for oil mist explosion, cleaning, nasty oils, power hungry, lots of heat in the room, water cooling needs, slow cycle time, etc.

There are some peripheral bits of the project online:
  http://everist.org/NobLog/20121017_the_last_rack_bender.htm
  http://everist.org/NobLog/20141212_racked_serendipity.htm
But overall I don't talk about the intended purpose, so sorry, no point asking. It's a very worthy cause though.

The chief problem is, I'm very poor. Retired, extremely tiny income. So if you want market rates for them, I probably can't afford.

You don't happen to also have any vacuum sensors and their controllers? Especially of the cold cathode type (not so easily destroyed by vacuum mishaps.)

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #474 on: October 30, 2015, 09:42:44 pm »
Is a refurbished Keithley 2110 at $250.00 a good deal ?

Recently I bought one, but don't know if it was a good deal.

David.d

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf