Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 499334 times)

Online Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #900 on: September 07, 2016, 07:06:13 pm »
This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282148473438?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

An Agilent DSO-X 2014A for $460. It's still under factory warranty till 2018!  :-DD :-+

And you would have paid much less if I wasn't bidding against you! :)
I also noticed it should be under warranty - as long as it is a standard failure and not as a result of someone trying to hack it. I assume it is flash corruption though.

Damn you! (Of course you know, this means war!)  ;)
I didn't even want to post this one till it was in my hot little hands. It just arrived today, and I've already got an RMA # from Keysight. Ships out tomorrow.

I bet the seller would sh*t if he only knew.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz
« Reply #901 on: September 07, 2016, 07:24:06 pm »
This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282148473438?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

An Agilent DSO-X 2014A for $460. It's still under factory warranty till 2018!  :-DD :-+

And you would have paid much less if I wasn't bidding against you! :)
I also noticed it should be under warranty - as long as it is a standard failure and not as a result of someone trying to hack it. I assume it is flash corruption though.

Damn you! (Of course you know, this means war!)  ;)
I didn't even want to post this one till it was in my hot little hands. It just arrived today, and I've already got an RMA # from Keysight. Ships out tomorrow.

I bet the seller would sh*t if he only knew.

Of course it means war, lol. I had big plans for that scope. I wanted to use it to experiment with jtag and the uboot boot loader in the 2000/3000 series scopes so we could fix them ourselves. Then it would have been time to try to up the sample rate and expand bandwidth to 500 MHz. So should Keysight refuse to fix it let me know.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:34:31 pm by TheSteve »
VE7FM

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #902 on: September 07, 2016, 09:41:54 pm »

MY52....
Is that a 2012 model ?
Does Agilent offer 6Y warranty , or where do you check for a valid warranty ?

/Bingo

https://service.keysight.com/infoline/public/details.aspx?pn=DSOX2014A&sn=MY52492187&i=COV&from=details&BTN_QUERY_MODEL_SERIAL=Next

5 Years on this one. It's a 2013 unit. Add 52 to 61. I forget what the significance of 1961 is, I'm sure someone remembers.

I had always understood (based on what I've seen online, and of course can't find anything while searching now) that the serial number prefix indicated the year and production run. The first digit (3 number prefix) or two digits (4 number prefix) denoted the year when added to 1960 - three digit prefixes ran up to 1969, then they became four digit, and the latter two digits indicated either the week or production run number (there are some that are higher than 52) which would make your 5249XXX numbered instrument a late 2012 production (49th run, or 49th week) unit.  The warranty beginning in spring of 2013 would make sense as it may have taken a few months to go through distribution and make it to the customer, at which point the warranty clock started ticking.

My understanding is that 1960 is when they switched to the 'new' two part serial numbering system.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Jwalling

Offline Blastcap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #903 on: September 07, 2016, 10:50:49 pm »
Just picked this up from the local fleaBay.
A 1984 Fluke 8050A, newest part was the chipset form week 11, 1984.
Just 11 years past calibration.

Now to clean it up, and give it the LED display mod.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #904 on: September 07, 2016, 11:29:59 pm »
I had always understood (based on what I've seen online, and of course can't find anything while searching now) that the serial number prefix indicated the year and production run. The first digit (3 number prefix) or two digits (4 number prefix) denoted the year when added to 1960

Correct, you add 1960 to the first two of four digits in the serial number. The scheme is described in many of the HP user guides or operating manuals.
I TEA.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #905 on: September 19, 2016, 09:55:29 am »
Wooohooo

Picked up Royel Soldering station RE900-4 for $42 Aus, fleabay.   Used to use these in Avionics repair F18 and F111.   OS members might not know "Royel" but they were one of the few "MIL Spec" systems made back in mid 80's.  When Australian F111s went to dumps (~2013) they were selling for around $800 on fleabay...thus this is a bargain.  Their new units cost...way too much for me.   I had 3 Royel Irons and even a Royel de-solder iron that fit this perfectly.  Just had to re-configure the pins as I was using them on a an old Adcola dual station and had modified the plugs to DIN...as everyone else had.

The de-solder pump...way over spec'd as well as resistance tweezers and dual concurrent irons... :-+ Winning!

I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #906 on: September 19, 2016, 10:43:03 am »
@wasyoungonce    that is one hell-of-a air-vacuum pump in that, presume meant to run all day/night. :-+
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline rastro

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #907 on: September 19, 2016, 02:56:42 pm »
Did I read 3Amps to the vacuum motor? !!! That could probably suck start a Harley!

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #908 on: September 19, 2016, 04:51:40 pm »
Wow - that's definitely a serious vacuum pump for a solder sucker!  Looks like you could evacuate a refrigeration system with it if you're not desoldering!

-Pat

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #909 on: September 19, 2016, 10:31:41 pm »
Yes...me thinks they seriously over spec'd the pump.  You only tun it with the foot switch for short bursts...seconds at best.  I did have my own vac de-solder set-up with a 12V fleabay motor, which worked ok, but is now consigned to the parts locker. 

I'm keen to get some resistance tweezers.   I'd make my own but I think I need something like titanium tips.  Not sure, need to research this.

Amazing what you can get from fleabay but it was probably useless without the irons....although there's no stopping someone making their own iron controller using their own irons.  The station uses a 30V transformer thru an SCR.

Online CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #910 on: September 29, 2016, 07:58:49 pm »
I've been trying to 'score' something for a while now, the target was a spectrum analyser and I had been chatting to someone about trading some gear for one and had also considered building my own but eBay came to the rescue with a sold as seen, faulty CMU200 for £154...

One flex of the credit card later and it was on its way.

https://s19.postimg.org/zd55dzrcz/2016_09_29_18_11_45.jpg

The reported faults were disk error, no boot and dim screen. Unfortunately it's arrived with a bit of transit damage, one corner of the front has taken a knock, but it's in good condition otherwise.

Repair consisted of reseating the IDE cable (after buying a replacement disk that wasn't needed) and the dim display I think needs a CCFL tube or and LED replacement, the CMOS backup battery also needs replacing.
M0UAW

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz
« Reply #911 on: September 29, 2016, 08:03:20 pm »
Very nice score. There are tons of LED backlighting options on ebay etc. I used a generic one to change an LCD screen to LED backlighting with excellent results.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Online CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #912 on: September 29, 2016, 08:47:48 pm »
Very nice score. There are tons of LED backlighting options on ebay etc. I used a generic one to change an LCD screen to LED backlighting with excellent results.

Nice, thank you, I was thinking about using one recycled from a laptop (I have been harvesting them whenever I replace a smashed screen) but they're all rather long, I will have a look into modifying one.

M0UAW

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz
« Reply #913 on: September 29, 2016, 09:33:26 pm »

Nice, thank you, I was thinking about using one recycled from a laptop (I have been harvesting them whenever I replace a smashed screen) but they're all rather long, I will have a look into modifying one.

The ones I used had three LED's wired in series, then each set is connected in parallel. They could be snapped apart at the end of each series string to adjust length.
VE7FM

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #914 on: October 03, 2016, 03:06:36 am »
I picked up a nice HP3312 function generator at the SD hamfest yesterday.

Well I already turned it on, now we shall take it apart.

Nicely built as one would expect, seems the parts are from 1988-1989 And except for a a few dirty fingerprints on the outside it is very clean and none of the controls are scratchy.
Continued...
Sue AF6LJ
Test Equipment Addict, And Proud Of It.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #915 on: October 03, 2016, 03:11:27 am »

The topside. I haven't had time to read the manual yet so I am guessing this is the output board. The other board should have all the generator, timing and trigger circuitry on it.

Underside of the output board.

Well thought out mechanical design..
Continued..
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #916 on: October 03, 2016, 03:16:58 am »

Rear panel view...

If I didn't know better I would have thought these boards were hand laid out. They have the look... but I could be wrong...

The rest of the power supply nice looking The electrolydics look to be in good shape,
Ya gotta love all that gold. :)

And here is the Money Shot. :)

Sue AF6LJ

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #917 on: October 03, 2016, 04:56:02 am »
Damn thats one nicely built piece of equipment! :-+

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #918 on: October 03, 2016, 06:25:44 am »
That's in beautiful condition, especially considering that it's about 25 years old.  HP made some really nice test gear back in the day. 

Tough call on the board layout, though I think I'd lean more towards computer generated (by this I mean that though the arrangement and layout may have been done manually, the traces were then drawn on the computer with a layout tool) as they are very uniform and the angles look quite precise.  My older HP stuff that I'm certain was done with vellum and tape or something similarly manual have flowing traces that show slight width variations and don't always hit the lands precisely - they definitely look hand made. 

FWIW

-Pat

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #919 on: October 03, 2016, 06:55:03 am »
It deserves its own thread for the teardown. ;)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #920 on: October 03, 2016, 06:56:18 am »
Good gear haul Sue!
I would put a vote in for computer generated on the 3312, I looked in the background photo of your  haul, your 5245L reminded me my repair, the heater oscillator board in the 5245L was definitely hand drawn.
Gear like that will last a very long time, good manuals, no crazy ICs. Often the specs are fantastic as well.  :-+
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #921 on: October 03, 2016, 07:20:42 am »
Here's a board from my 3440A that definitely looks like a 'hand job'.  Note the width variances and slight crookedness in the three traces from the edge connector running along the left bottom edge of the board.

-Pat

Offline nfmax

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #922 on: October 03, 2016, 08:08:07 am »
Heh! The first thing I saw when opening the thread today was your picture with the two regulators, and I immediately thought "that's a 3312A!". They are very nice generators, and the triggered burst with variable phase capability is something even most AWGs have difficulty with. Problems I had with mine were a failed PNP in the burst circuit (can't remember the exact reference designator) and the infamous exploding mains inlet filter - fortunately no harm done. Mine was also missing the power on pilot LED, suggesting it had spent part of its life in an optics lab. Enjoy!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #923 on: October 03, 2016, 08:16:58 am »
Heh! The first thing I saw when opening the thread today was your picture with the two regulators, and I immediately thought "that's a 3312A!". They are very nice generators, and the triggered burst with variable phase capability is something even most AWGs have difficulty with. Problems I had with mine were a failed PNP in the burst circuit (can't remember the exact reference designator) and the infamous exploding mains inlet filter - fortunately no harm done. Mine was also missing the power on pilot LED, suggesting it had spent part of its life in an optics lab. Enjoy!
::)
You really need to look at some of the modern AWG's, for them this is bread and butter stuff.   :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nfmax

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #924 on: October 03, 2016, 09:39:28 am »
A modern AWG may very well be able to do triggered burst with adjustable phase - if you can figure out the UI

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf