Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 775015 times)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #900 on: September 19, 2016, 04:51:40 pm »
Wow - that's definitely a serious vacuum pump for a solder sucker!  Looks like you could evacuate a refrigeration system with it if you're not desoldering!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #901 on: September 19, 2016, 10:31:41 pm »
Yes...me thinks they seriously over spec'd the pump.  You only tun it with the foot switch for short bursts...seconds at best.  I did have my own vac de-solder set-up with a 12V fleabay motor, which worked ok, but is now consigned to the parts locker. 

I'm keen to get some resistance tweezers.   I'd make my own but I think I need something like titanium tips.  Not sure, need to research this.

Amazing what you can get from fleabay but it was probably useless without the irons....although there's no stopping someone making their own iron controller using their own irons.  The station uses a 30V transformer thru an SCR.
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #902 on: September 29, 2016, 07:58:49 pm »
I've been trying to 'score' something for a while now, the target was a spectrum analyser and I had been chatting to someone about trading some gear for one and had also considered building my own but eBay came to the rescue with a sold as seen, faulty CMU200 for £154...

One flex of the credit card later and it was on its way.

https://s19.postimg.org/zd55dzrcz/2016_09_29_18_11_45.jpg

The reported faults were disk error, no boot and dim screen. Unfortunately it's arrived with a bit of transit damage, one corner of the front has taken a knock, but it's in good condition otherwise.

Repair consisted of reseating the IDE cable (after buying a replacement disk that wasn't needed) and the dim display I think needs a CCFL tube or and LED replacement, the CMOS backup battery also needs replacing.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #903 on: September 29, 2016, 08:03:20 pm »
Very nice score. There are tons of LED backlighting options on ebay etc. I used a generic one to change an LCD screen to LED backlighting with excellent results.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #904 on: September 29, 2016, 08:47:48 pm »
Very nice score. There are tons of LED backlighting options on ebay etc. I used a generic one to change an LCD screen to LED backlighting with excellent results.

Nice, thank you, I was thinking about using one recycled from a laptop (I have been harvesting them whenever I replace a smashed screen) but they're all rather long, I will have a look into modifying one.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #905 on: September 29, 2016, 09:33:26 pm »

Nice, thank you, I was thinking about using one recycled from a laptop (I have been harvesting them whenever I replace a smashed screen) but they're all rather long, I will have a look into modifying one.

The ones I used had three LED's wired in series, then each set is connected in parallel. They could be snapped apart at the end of each series string to adjust length.
VE7FM

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #906 on: October 03, 2016, 03:06:36 am »
I picked up a nice HP3312 function generator at the SD hamfest yesterday.

Well I already turned it on, now we shall take it apart.

Nicely built as one would expect, seems the parts are from 1988-1989 And except for a a few dirty fingerprints on the outside it is very clean and none of the controls are scratchy.
Continued...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #907 on: October 03, 2016, 03:11:27 am »

The topside. I haven't had time to read the manual yet so I am guessing this is the output board. The other board should have all the generator, timing and trigger circuitry on it.

Underside of the output board.

Well thought out mechanical design..
Continued..
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #908 on: October 03, 2016, 03:16:58 am »

Rear panel view...

If I didn't know better I would have thought these boards were hand laid out. They have the look... but I could be wrong...

The rest of the power supply nice looking The electrolydics look to be in good shape,
Ya gotta love all that gold. :)

And here is the Money Shot. :)

Sue AF6LJ

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #909 on: October 03, 2016, 04:56:02 am »
Damn thats one nicely built piece of equipment! :-+
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #910 on: October 03, 2016, 06:25:44 am »
That's in beautiful condition, especially considering that it's about 25 years old.  HP made some really nice test gear back in the day. 

Tough call on the board layout, though I think I'd lean more towards computer generated (by this I mean that though the arrangement and layout may have been done manually, the traces were then drawn on the computer with a layout tool) as they are very uniform and the angles look quite precise.  My older HP stuff that I'm certain was done with vellum and tape or something similarly manual have flowing traces that show slight width variations and don't always hit the lands precisely - they definitely look hand made. 

FWIW

-Pat

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #911 on: October 03, 2016, 06:55:03 am »
It deserves its own thread for the teardown. ;)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #912 on: October 03, 2016, 06:56:18 am »
Good gear haul Sue!
I would put a vote in for computer generated on the 3312, I looked in the background photo of your  haul, your 5245L reminded me my repair, the heater oscillator board in the 5245L was definitely hand drawn.
Gear like that will last a very long time, good manuals, no crazy ICs. Often the specs are fantastic as well.  :-+
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #913 on: October 03, 2016, 07:20:42 am »
Here's a board from my 3440A that definitely looks like a 'hand job'.  Note the width variances and slight crookedness in the three traces from the edge connector running along the left bottom edge of the board.

-Pat

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #914 on: October 03, 2016, 08:08:07 am »
Heh! The first thing I saw when opening the thread today was your picture with the two regulators, and I immediately thought "that's a 3312A!". They are very nice generators, and the triggered burst with variable phase capability is something even most AWGs have difficulty with. Problems I had with mine were a failed PNP in the burst circuit (can't remember the exact reference designator) and the infamous exploding mains inlet filter - fortunately no harm done. Mine was also missing the power on pilot LED, suggesting it had spent part of its life in an optics lab. Enjoy!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #915 on: October 03, 2016, 08:16:58 am »
Heh! The first thing I saw when opening the thread today was your picture with the two regulators, and I immediately thought "that's a 3312A!". They are very nice generators, and the triggered burst with variable phase capability is something even most AWGs have difficulty with. Problems I had with mine were a failed PNP in the burst circuit (can't remember the exact reference designator) and the infamous exploding mains inlet filter - fortunately no harm done. Mine was also missing the power on pilot LED, suggesting it had spent part of its life in an optics lab. Enjoy!
::)
You really need to look at some of the modern AWG's, for them this is bread and butter stuff.   :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #916 on: October 03, 2016, 09:39:28 am »
A modern AWG may very well be able to do triggered burst with adjustable phase - if you can figure out the UI

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #917 on: October 03, 2016, 01:06:42 pm »
It deserves its own thread for the teardown. ;)
I thought seriously about that, but since this is a quickie and I had not familiarized myself with the instrument yet I went for the mini teardown...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #918 on: October 03, 2016, 01:12:16 pm »
Thanks for the reminder about the exploding line filter...
I'll have to look for a replacement.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #919 on: October 03, 2016, 10:32:14 pm »
I thought seriously about that, but since this is a quickie and I had not familiarized myself with the instrument yet I went for the mini teardown...

Thanks for the preview, Sue. Looking forward to the post-familiarization teardown thread.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline scopeman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #920 on: October 04, 2016, 02:46:28 am »

Next up is a Panasonic VP-7722A audio analyzer. I'm kinda sorta into audiophoolery and I had no idea Panasonic used to make these things until recently! It's actually quite a respectable performer too, 0.00025% THD+N 2.5V @ 1kHz, 30kHz BW. It weighs a bloody ton at 17kg, might need to start a new thread for a proper teardown if anyone is interested.

I'm super impressed by the unit, because while it won't spit out pretty FFT's which are all the rage these days, I think it will be very handy for quick and dirty production line testing since you don't need a computer to operate it. It will happily dance with 'entry level' Audio-Precision analysers, I think you need an AP 2722 ($10k+ used) to better it in terms of THD+N anyway.

Any chance you have a manual or a link for the manual for the VP-7722A?

Sam
W3OHM
W3OHM

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #921 on: October 05, 2016, 09:01:53 am »
Well it took awhile, but I finally got an original HP 8698B RF plug in manual for a reasonable price.

Those clowns on that auction site are pretty proud of their manuals.

In any case, the 8690B sweep oscillator manual doesn't disclose the various disabled functions when certain plug-ins are used, i.e., the "standby/RF" switching in the oscillator doesn't apply with the 8698B plug in. Good to know because I was worried that there was something that needed to be fixed.

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #922 on: October 07, 2016, 06:47:41 pm »
Last week I got a nice Hameg HM1507-3 Combiscope from a friend of mine. Just seems to be a bit dirty from the inside, at least the pots , switches and rotary encoders are a bit quirky. From the outside... Well, it's like new I would say. Since it was sitting in an shelf for years i think it didnt see many waveforms in his life till now. Time to change that!
I guess I will try to fix it in the next time.  :-+
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline AutomationGuy

• Contributor
« Reply #923 on: October 08, 2016, 09:11:16 am »
Got brand new LeCroy ZS1500 active voltage probes from ebay for 1/4 of the new price. The calibration certificate is from 2013.
Now I need a bandwidth upgrade for my WS3024.

Offline tzok

• Contributor
« Reply #924 on: October 09, 2016, 04:14:54 pm »
GW Instek GFG-8015G : 2MHz Function Generator (analog) - with a missing handle/stand and with replaced output connectors to Jacks instead of BNCs : ~$20 + $2 for BNC connectors.
Velleman HPS-40 : 40MSa/s 1CH Handheld Scope - non operational on internal batteries (corroded contacts) : ~$80 (contacts cleaned, 5 new AA Ni-MH batteries inserted and it works ok).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 04:18:38 pm by tzok »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf