Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 782490 times)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #950 on: October 27, 2016, 04:33:02 am »
Cool find, THz.  My fingers are crossed that you score som more goodies tonight!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #951 on: October 27, 2016, 04:54:52 am »
Some of those tools might still be salvageable. Pliers(good chance) , hexes/files/clamps(yes) screw drivers might still be good, unless the phillips head is mushed.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #952 on: October 27, 2016, 05:19:44 am »
Cool find, THz.  My fingers are crossed that you score som more goodies tonight!

Thanks. I'm considering it unlikely - probably that was just something the resident had acquired and didn't know what it was. Mostly I'm just curious to find out the history of how it came to be there. At the time I was speaking to an old Asian lady with no English, via a young girl with not-so-great Vietnamese Cantonese. The guy who knew stuff wasn't there.
But you never know.

Some of those tools might still be salvageable. Pliers(good chance) , hexes/files/clamps(yes) screw drivers might still be good, unless the phillips head is mushed.

No really, when I said "light surface rust" I meant it. All clean now, see pic. Only the two feeler gauge sets were far gone, and even they will do as car-kit.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:59:31 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #953 on: October 27, 2016, 05:32:08 am »
Those cleaned up really well. How did you do it?
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #954 on: October 27, 2016, 06:06:07 am »

Large diameter steel wire wheel in a bench grinder for most of it. Some concave bits with stainless steel wool hand scrubbing. The files and delicate things like the teeth of the taps, with fine brass wire brush and running water. Then a light coat of oil on everything.

Mainly I wanted the chisels, of which I don't have many already. Everything else was just 'well since I'm doing this, why not?'
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #955 on: October 27, 2016, 07:45:22 am »

Large diameter steel wire wheel in a bench grinder for most of it. Some concave bits with stainless steel wool hand scrubbing. The files and delicate things like the teeth of the taps, with fine brass wire brush and running water. Then a light coat of oil on everything.

Mainly I wanted the chisels, of which I don't have many already. Everything else was just 'well since I'm doing this, why not?'

A nice haul, especially considering the price.   :-+

And you can never have too many clamps, so one more is always a good thing.

-Pat

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #956 on: October 27, 2016, 10:07:29 am »
 :-+Those look nice chisels, they are hard to find . Some 6 years ago my father died and I inherited his tools, I used a cone wire brush on an angle grinder then Lanolin (Inox Lanox) or recently gun oil.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #957 on: October 27, 2016, 02:49:04 pm »
Can you guys get anything like this "down under"?

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

I tried some out a few years ago and was impressed by its performance; unfortunately I don't have photos.

-Pat

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #958 on: October 30, 2016, 11:38:32 am »
Pat re evapo-rust I've not seen that stuff before, a quick look on eBay Our local car+ Supercheap auto has some, I have a mate who has shockingly rusted tools, I might buy him some as a Christmas present. Not cheap 5 litres AUD $85 .

Bought a HP 8903A Audio Analyzer, posted working but arrived with no working display despite being reasonably well packed, "grace03us" sent a good sized part refund on my word alone!
Opened the lid and after a bit of digging around fixing the 1980s HP "clacky button problem" found a loose cable- plugged it back in and she lives.  :-+
The seller seemed such a decent fellow I resent most of the refund!

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #959 on: October 31, 2016, 03:14:30 am »
Found this beast listed on Ebay AU and it actually got a bid, it's not mine and nor will it be but check out the question mark in the display, a meter with an "I dunno" feature could be handy for some I suppose.  :-BROKE   

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #960 on: October 31, 2016, 12:22:54 pm »
That's a vintage tube tester! I am looking for simmilar devices for years but wasn't lucky at all, since they always end at a (at least for me) unaffordable price... The questionmark in the meter was to show the transit area in which a tube would work as expected but eventually with reduced power, since theose things most of the time measure just the current going through the tube at the standard datasheet values. You could say that a "?" tube is most of the time perfectly useable, as long as you don't try to squeeze every last µA out of the cathode.
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

The following users thanked this post: Muttley Snickers

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #961 on: October 31, 2016, 12:37:45 pm »
That particular one looks a bit sad and is currently at $20 AUD, they pop up occasionally and there was a really nice tube tester listed only a few weeks back that got 1 bid at $30, I was tempted but passed on it as I'm currently putting a valve radio back together otherwise I would have no other use for these and most are fairly big units.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #962 on: October 31, 2016, 01:00:29 pm »
That particular one looks a bit sad and is currently at $20 AUD, they pop up occasionally and there was a really nice tube tester listed only a few weeks back that got 1 bid at $30, I was tempted but passed on it as I'm currently putting a valve radio back together otherwise I would have no other use for these and most are fairly big units.

Valve testers are handy if you have a lot of valves/tubes to test or have unskilled labour that needs to qualify them as good/bad but it's not particularly difficult to test valves without a custom tester, just needs some fairly basic lab gear and some common sense regarding electrical safety.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #963 on: October 31, 2016, 05:49:54 pm »
Tube testers are reasonably good at determining if a tube is dead or shorted.  Whether the tube is actually good or usable is another story.  They were also not laboratory instruments and their primary role was to help service techs sell tubes.  The best way to determine the actual characteristics of a tube is to use a curve tracer.  Tektronix actually made one, the 570, but the audiofools have priced these into the stratosphere (one sold for $2K on ebay back in Sept).

There's at least one modern computer controlled tube curve tracer available and it's fairly easy to use a Tek 576 with some additional setup.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #964 on: November 01, 2016, 08:11:34 am »

:-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #965 on: November 01, 2016, 11:08:21 am »
Re tubes and testing, when I was restoring my Tek 545 (all 107 tubes I recall!) i got a uTracer3+ from DOS 4 ever, it is a proper tube tracer but has some nice features in that it doesn't test the tube for long at each voltage so you don't have to get too excited re power limits etc. As the HV is only around for a short time (I recall some milliseconds) your chances of 'exciting' yourself also goes down. The biggest issue is you have to build it and get the tube sockets you want. It is basically a computer controlled 3 power supply (2HV,  one for filaments) and 2 voltmeter 2 ammeter unit with a nice PC interface to drive it all.
PS No interest other than a happy customer.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #966 on: November 01, 2016, 11:58:54 am »

I'd feel similar, it's always nice to find a seller who is so fair and makes no fuss about resolving problems.

I guess you can always send a bit back if you feel like it?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #967 on: November 02, 2016, 09:57:25 am »
I always feel I should pay the price agreed at the deal unless it is not as promised, I was a little bit upset when it arrived and it didn't work and sent off a polite  email and he was nice about it. The postage to return it would have been a killer , the seller was happy to strike a fair part refund and when it turned out to be a simple cable issue, perhaps it spent a lot of the trip upside down. I too want to encourage the good sellers with a fair deal.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #968 on: November 03, 2016, 10:12:29 pm »
Agreed. Good sellers are few and far between.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #969 on: November 04, 2016, 10:14:51 am »
Is it worth taking the rust off files? I always assumed it would round the teeth and they wouldn't cut. My father has a box of rusty files, I wonder if I should take a brass brush to them.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #970 on: November 04, 2016, 10:46:42 am »
Is it worth taking the rust off files? I always assumed it would round the teeth and they wouldn't cut. My father has a box of rusty files, I wonder if I should take a brass brush to them.

I seen someone take a wire wheel to files and then dunk them in acid for a bit to restore and "sharpen" them. But im not sure why would that work, but if anything it would get the crap out of the groves so it can dig in properly. Etching it should round and dull the teeth if you ask me.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #971 on: November 04, 2016, 11:08:12 am »
I am almost certain that acid "sharpening" is a myth.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #972 on: November 04, 2016, 04:23:48 pm »
I am almost certain that acid "sharpening" is a myth.

That's my thought as well - it would seem that the 'finer' features (such as sharp cutting edges) would be the FIRST thing that the acid would etch away, rounding and dulling them as the post above yours suggests.  Seems like a good way to TRASH a file, rather than sharpening it.  If you can put it into something that would dissolve whatever swarf is trapped in the grooves and NOT the file, that could clean it out well and potentially make it cut better if it's clogged up, but I fail to see how something like that could sharpen it at all.

-Pat

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #973 on: November 04, 2016, 07:19:24 pm »
To derust simply use a wire brush, hand held, and brush parallel to the teeth. On a crosscut file you need 2 passes, to get both angles of the teeth, then wash with some kerosene ( paraffin in the rest of the world) to clean the debris out. Then after that use a cloth dampened with light mineral oil to rub off all the remaining rust, and store where it will be dry. A wooden drawer that has bare wood, oiled with furniture oil, works best as a rust preventer, as the volatile oil compounds evaporate over the tools with time. You can buy corrosion protector tabs that are basically an oil soaked sponge that do the same.

The following users thanked this post: krivx, bitseeker

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #974 on: November 04, 2016, 11:32:29 pm »
... kerosene ( paraffin in the rest of the world)
kerosene here (kero)

The brush to use on files is called a card brush

The following users thanked this post: rx8pilot

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf