Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 775002 times)

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #1100 on: January 15, 2017, 11:52:24 am »
Here - as a certifiable TGAS sufferer (who am I kidding - I'm not suffering - I enjoy it!!) - let me flesh that ellipsis section out:

5. Buy op/service manuals for test gear on evilBay
6. Troubleshoot test gear
7. Seek out obsolete/discontinued components to repair test gear  |O
8. Read nixie thread and/or look at old HP Instrumentation catalogs   >:D >:D >:D >:D
9. Repeat steps 2 through 7, now searching for older, heavier, more expensive to ship things   :o 
12. Buy or build more shelves to hold test gear   :-+
13. (or later) - build first circuit   :-DD :-DD

-Pat

Today i just filled the last spot in my 42U high rack cabinet by adding in a Gigatronics 6100 8GHz synthesizer that managed to repair at 2 in the morning. :-+
but i also scored a Tektronix pattern generator for 40 bucks on ebay a few days ago. :-\

For me it mostly started as getting the test gear i needed for a better price since quality brand new gear costs a fortune. But in order to find a good deal on places like ebay means looking trough a lot of pages and keeping eyes open, as good deals go fast, but along the way one keeps coming across other gear that you perhaps don't need right now but it would be neat to have. But hey all this test gear is useful for doing work and you can always sell it (If done right for more than what you payed for it)... tho i only ever sold 1 piece of test equipment so far (And lost money on it cause i bought it new).

Still better than collecting stamps (Tho they are easier to ship overseas il give them that)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1101 on: January 15, 2017, 12:14:25 pm »
FLUKE Philips PM3380B

I bought this scope on ebay Germany for Euro 100, the seller lives in 5 min walking distance to me and the scope is like bran new.
Came with all original accessories, also like new and the original glossy datasheet.
Has even the original screen cover and BNC to 4 mm Banana plugs

Once in a while we can get very lucky, I think.
I have several of these scopes already, but this was the best score so far.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1102 on: January 15, 2017, 03:13:40 pm »
I'd say, "Welcome to TEA (Test Equipment Anonymous)." So glad you could join us. :-DMM

Thanks - the first step is to admit I have a probelm, I realize that now.  :palm:

If anyone wants some of the drug I got - here is the seller of the drug meter - they have more ... just look for the shady guy on the corner with the black trenchcoat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GW-Instek-120-000-Counts-Dual-Display-Multimeter-GDM-8251A/291980567514
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1103 on: January 16, 2017, 12:17:20 am »
14. Repeat steps 2 to 12 numerous times, either till the house is full ( then move to a bigger house) or the wife leaves.

Whereas the correct number of pieces of test gear is N+1 where N is the number you already have, I have been informed that one must also follow the S-1 rule where S is the number at which your spouse leaves...  Unfortunately S is highly variable and seems to be proportional to the number of visible items.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1104 on: January 16, 2017, 01:06:31 am »
14. Repeat steps 2 to 12 numerous times, either till the house is full ( then move to a bigger house) or the wife leaves.
You should (or actually shouldn't) hear my wife  :rant: when she sees I'm looking at pictures of test equipment on this forum or Ebay!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #1105 on: January 16, 2017, 01:53:16 am »
Hmm...
Avo 8
Up to 2500V DC/AC, calibrated in 2003 and still sealed, ex-military. I use it for battery tester and book stand.
Meets all safety regulations.  :P

Unigor 6e,
FET-VOM. 100 ticks, precision needle with mirror
1Meg/10Meg input AC/DC
ranges: 1mv to 1000V
ranges: 1uA to 3A
ranges: 0,2 ? to 50 M?.
ranges: 0,05 nF to 2000 µF
Burden voltage 1mV to 500mV

Meratester/Marconi-TF-2650/Convay 2x
FET-VOM
100MOhm AC/DC
BNC connection. This one shows the ghosts travelling around the house.
0 to 1 GHz (with prope that I do not have :(( )
Center Zero ability
Mirrored precision needle, 30 and (dang forget the higher scale) ticks
Resistance: 1 ohm to 10 Gohm.
Voltage: 1,5mV to 1500V
Current 0,15uA  :o to 1.5A

This is neat piece of equipment, made in Poland. I wish I could find the HF probe.

Fluke 8030A 3½ digit DMM.. Still in specks according the new Fluke I did measured it against when I had opportunity.

PicoScope 2204
FLUKE Philips PM3380A
Tex rebranded analog function gen. 0 to 11MHz
Some bit and pieces, soviet micrometers.  :-DD

FLUKE Philips PM3380B

I bought this scope on ebay Germany for Euro 100, the seller lives in 5 min walking distance to me and the scope is like bran new.
Came with all original accessories, also like new and the original glossy datasheet.
Has even the original screen cover and BNC to 4 mm Banana plugs

Once in a while we can get very lucky, I think.
I have several of these scopes already, but this was the best score so far.
Oh. I have the A-model 100MHz version of that with Fluke branding. I like that I have both analog and digital in same scope.  They have "defect" that they get really hot just behing of the CRT and burn out. So might want to check if the cooling is OK in yours.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:03:31 am by Vtile »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1106 on: January 16, 2017, 04:17:34 am »
Today i just filled the last spot in my 42U high rack cabinet by adding in a Gigatronics 6100 8GHz synthesizer that managed to repair at 2 in the morning. :-+
but i also scored a Tektronix pattern generator for 40 bucks on ebay a few days ago. :-\

For me it mostly started as getting the test gear i needed for a better price since quality brand new gear costs a fortune. But in order to find a good deal on places like ebay means looking trough a lot of pages and keeping eyes open, as good deals go fast, but along the way one keeps coming across other gear that you perhaps don't need right now but it would be neat to have. But hey all this test gear is useful for doing work and you can always sell it (If done right for more than what you payed for it)... tho i only ever sold 1 piece of test equipment so far (And lost money on it cause i bought it new).

Still better than collecting stamps (Tho they are easier to ship overseas il give them that)

Sounds like we should have a dedicated TEA thread. ;)

Here we go:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:24:07 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline lmester

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #1107 on: January 16, 2017, 06:28:09 am »
I couldn't help myself.  I snagged one of the GW Instek GDM 8251A bench meters on eBay. From the ITT auction I suspect. Many more listed. I was able to get it for $95 + $20 shipping.  It will be nice to have a dual display bench meter for simultaneous voltage and current measurements. Photo from the listing. Mine should arrive next week.

I just bought one of these meters. Likely from the same seller. The picture is the same. I sent a question to the seller asking if the cal key came with it. It does not. It's just the meter. I was also curious and asked if he got them from the ITT bankruptcy. He said yes, that's where they came from. I did some ebay searches and found a huge blast of GW Instek power supplies for sale. Most likely also from ITT. I wonder what other test equipment was in use at ITT? I probably don't want to know. It might just cost me another $120! or more! My existing bench meter is OK. I just couldn't pass up getting a much more modern unit for such a good price.

Ask an EE if he has too much test equipment in his home workshop and you get the same answer as asking an alcoholic if he has too much beer in the fridge :)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1108 on: January 16, 2017, 02:03:25 pm »
I just bought one of these meters. Likely from the same seller. The picture is the same. I sent a question to the seller asking if the cal key came with it. It does not.

As you may know - the cal key is part #GDM-01. They are available for ~ $8 - $10. For example -

8251A Cal Key GDM-01

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline NavyBOFH

• Contributor
« Reply #1109 on: January 16, 2017, 06:09:09 pm »
Not much of a personal score but I work for a state agency so we get to bid on surplus government lots. Boss ended up bidding (with myself and one other being the pick-up mules) on a HUGE DOD lot of "rejected" test equipment. Ended up with around:
~10 HP 8920 A/B Service Monitors
~12 HP 8562 Spectrum Analyzers
~12 Agilent 8563 Spectrum Analyzers
~20 IFR 1100/1500/1600 Service Monitors
12-14 IFR 2947 Service Monitors
Misc. HP signal generators/freq counters/power meters
3-4 HP VNAs with bridges (cannot remember models off-hand)
~10 Anritsu Spectrum Analyzers
2 Anritsu SiteMasters
2 HP 8935 Test Sets
and a crown Jewel - the Rohde & Schwarz VNC VNA that I am trying to repair (in the repair section of the forum)

We picked all this up across almost 10 pallets strewn with a ton of the HUGE pelican cases, some older networking gear, and some other bits and pieces.

The HP8935s have been repaired and put back to use (one calibrated and current), the power meters were all repaired and put back into service, along with a handful of the signal generators and freq counters. Both SiteMasters have been repaired, one with a cal and the other was rejected but close enough for field troubleshooting work, and a couple of the IFR 2947s have been repaired and put back into use (one of them being mine that I keep in my truck).

The Spectrum Analyzers I am vastly understating the number, and had to off-load them to another one of my transmitter sites to keep them all in one place. We repaired and use about half a dozen of them, and I am slowly trying to repair the rest and/or sell for parts. I hope to share some of the equipment and parts here as time goes on, mostly I need to 1) get all the exact model numbers and 2) get all the service manuals to really work on them all. HP/Agilent is great with offering service manuals online but all the other brands are terrible.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1110 on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:19 pm »
I just bought one of these meters. Likely from the same seller. The picture is the same. I sent a question to the seller asking if the cal key came with it. It does not.

As you may know - the cal key is part #GDM-01. They are available for ~ $8 - $10. For example -

8251A Cal Key GDM-01

I assume this is needed to do a calibration?   I can find no info in the  8255A user manual. A google search also returns no info.

Any more info appreciated.

EDIT:  Ah, just found This thread here
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:23:00 pm by mtdoc »

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1111 on: January 16, 2017, 09:40:13 pm »
I am so tempted to make an offer on one of those meters that I'd have to make up a reason to use one every 6 months....lol

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1112 on: January 16, 2017, 10:43:10 pm »
What is the purpose of the GW-Instek Calibration key? I checked at the website from GW-Instek, but there is no description available for this item, so for me the purpose is unclear :)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1113 on: January 16, 2017, 11:25:06 pm »
I am so tempted to make an offer on one of those meters that I'd have to make up a reason to use one every 6 months....lol

It's not that hard, but if you need any assistance, please feel free to ask for help here - we have rationalization experts standing by to assist 24/7/365.  :)

Offline lmester

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #1114 on: January 17, 2017, 06:51:31 am »
What is the purpose of the GW-Instek Calibration key? I checked at the website from GW-Instek, but there is no description available for this item, so for me the purpose is unclear :)

It unlocks the meter to allow calibration. Since these came from ITT I can understand why the cal keys are not with them. Some bright student might decide to try and calibrate it using his $20 generic meter as a reference :palm:   Also the documentation that I've read says it's needed to perform a firmware update.  Once I get my meter I'm going to check the firmware version. If it's not current and if there are any important bug fixes I may buy a cal key to allow the firmware update.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1115 on: January 17, 2017, 01:55:09 pm »
Also the documentation that I've read says it's needed to perform a firmware update.  Once I get my meter I'm going to check the firmware version. If it's not current and if there are any important bug fixes I may buy a cal key to allow the firmware update.

Hmmm, I'm looking for the firmware but can't find it. If you go to their site here -

GDM 8251A

You can find software for the 8251A (the unit is obsolete now), and you can find the firmware updater program, but there is no firmware at all. I even unpacked the firmware updater and installed it, but it doesn't include the .hex firmware file (no, the Download button in the program doesn't download it from the internet, it downloads the current version from the meter). I also searched a few other sites to no avail.

We'll have to find it!  :-//

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline lmester

• Regular Contributor
    • My page
« Reply #1116 on: January 17, 2017, 04:54:18 pm »
Also the documentation that I've read says it's needed to perform a firmware update.  Once I get my meter I'm going to check the firmware version. If it's not current and if there are any important bug fixes I may buy a cal key to allow the firmware update.

Hmmm, I'm looking for the firmware but can't find it. If you go to their site here -

GDM 8251A

You can find software for the 8251A (the unit is obsolete now), and you can find the firmware updater program, but there is no firmware at all. I even unpacked the firmware updater and installed it, but it doesn't include the .hex firmware file (no, the Download button in the program doesn't download it from the internet, it downloads the current version from the meter). I also searched a few other sites to no avail.

We'll have to find it!  :-//

:( I had already downloaded the updater program. I assumed the firmware was wit it. I just installed my copy. I don't see any firmware files. Definitely need to do some internet searching tonight.  Someone must have firmware for this meter. Or know if it's even needed. There may be no important bug fixes.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1117 on: January 17, 2017, 11:21:06 pm »
Well here it is - nice bright display, seems to be in good condition. The white faceplate on the right side is a little yellowed, typical of of something that has been close to a window, but I can easily fix it with some peroxide the next time the sun is shining.  :clap:

Edit: Firmware is v2.2
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:01:40 am by xrunner »

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1118 on: January 18, 2017, 12:48:41 am »
The latest firmware according to the mfgr is v2.30.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, lmester, gnavigator1007

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1119 on: January 18, 2017, 01:03:35 am »
The latest firmware according to the mfgr is v2.30.

Roger that, I sent tech support an email asking for the latest firmware file - so far no response.  :popcorn:

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1120 on: January 18, 2017, 03:24:22 am »
Well here it is - nice bright display, seems to be in good condition. The white faceplate on the right side is a little yellowed, typical of of something that has been close to a window, but I can easily fix it with some peroxide the next time the sun is shining.  :clap:

Quite nice, indeed. Looks so much like an HP 34401A. Tempting, very tempting. But I shall resist! ;D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1121 on: January 18, 2017, 04:15:48 am »
Quite nice, indeed. Looks so much like an HP 34401A. Tempting, very tempting. But I shall resist! ;D

You can resist ... I cannot, at least yet. I have seen your thread here -

Test Equipment Anonymous group therapy

I'm trying to gain the strength to post there. I know I need help - the doctors here ... they don't understand. I don't think they are taught about test equipment addiction in school. They have no idea of how to help me.  :palm:

Let me think about it tonight. I may try and post tomorrow. I'm afraid if I admit my problem people will laugh, but if this group has the same addiction ...  :-\

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1122 on: January 18, 2017, 04:57:48 am »

You don't need to. You already bought one. :-DD And a nice meter it is, too.

I'm trying to gain the strength to post there. I know I need help - the doctors here ... they don't understand. I don't think they are taught about test equipment addiction in school. They have no idea of how to help me.  :palm:

Let me think about it tonight. I may try and post tomorrow. I'm afraid if I admit my problem people will laugh, but if this group has the same addiction ...  :-\

The TEA thread is quite lively and friendly. And when we laugh, we all laugh together. :-+

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1123 on: January 18, 2017, 06:22:08 am »

You don't need to. You already bought one. :-DD And a nice meter it is, too.

The TEA thread is quite lively and friendly. And when we laugh, we all laugh together. :-+

...and when someone tries to get on the wagon, we grab them by the shirttails and pull them back off!   :-DD   :-+ :-DMM :-DMM

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #1124 on: January 18, 2017, 07:21:06 am »
A Simpson 360, which cosmetically looks bad at first glance, but is just dirty. The battery compartment has probably never had batteries in it, and it powers up (but doesn't measure properly).

Oh, the price; it was on the "by donation" table, and $10 took it.  Last swap meet I got a dead [now fixed] Philips scope for $10, and now this for $10.  Less than the can of deoxit I'll need to clean the contacts

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:23:28 am by boffin »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf