Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 785173 times)

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #1225 on: February 27, 2017, 10:38:11 pm »
That looks like an old Tek scope. I never knew such machines had a spool of spare solder inside. Cool  :-+
It's high silver content solder for use on their ceramic terminal strips. Apparently normal tin/lead damages the bond to the ceramic. I think all their scopes came with a bit.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #1226 on: February 27, 2017, 10:38:41 pm »
Tek 556 ?? . All the old TEK space heaters of this vintage were supplied with a small spool of this silver loaded solder for the inevitable repair not involving a bottle swap :D.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1227 on: February 27, 2017, 10:41:12 pm »
Well, I know it's not a Tek 545 or 575, so that eliminates two possibilities...

Nice to see that the solder spool wasn't pilfered from it.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1228 on: February 27, 2017, 10:46:33 pm »
Not a 506, 515A or 531A either....   :-//

(nor a 310)

-Pat

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #1229 on: February 28, 2017, 02:25:31 am »
Got a pair of Symmetricom TimeSource 3500s off ebay in unknown condition but local enough for me to pick up.  Took 'em apart and the specs were right... I've struck rubidium!

Will be a few days until I have a -48V supply to actually turn them on, but the boards look like they're in good shape, and since they are GPS disciplined rubidium sources, the datasheet says the 10MHz out is good down to 5ppt.  Provided they both work, the price was good, even for parts it may be ok given two rubidium oscillator modules (though they're mounted annoyingly enough that it's really difficult to see what brand they are).

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1230 on: February 28, 2017, 02:35:54 am »
Won a GPD-3303s power supply today on ebay for $114 plus $30 shipping.  Hope this was a "score".  It's the version without overshoot problem.  Also, allegedly it is in good condition, cosmetic and otherwise.
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1231 on: February 28, 2017, 03:05:33 am »
Got a pair of Symmetricom TimeSource 3500s off ebay in unknown condition but local enough for me to pick up.
Nice I was watching them, wondering when they would sell. Most likely an lpro-101.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #1232 on: February 28, 2017, 03:36:06 am »
Nice I was watching them, wondering when they would sell. Most likely an lpro-101.
[/quote]

There's a chance, but I don't see any images that match up.  The module looks surprisingly like a PRS10, slightly off square and with the same connector in the same orientation, but I'm not sure the mounting holes match, and of course the phase noise spec is like 20-30dB too high for it to be a genuine PRS10  :)

For some reason (probably thermals), the module is wedged in between two thick aluminum plates and the front panel which seem to be permanently connected - no mounting screws but definitely solid in place.  Then there's thermal pads on both sides and the front plate and a cage of screws holding the thing in a cutout in the board.... and at least one of the screws needed to remove the board from the front plate is covered by one of those aluminum brackets sticking off the front.  There's got to be a trick to it, but at least for today it's beyond me.

Also had a loose screw from one of them blocking the sliding out of the second unit, so I had to take the back off, fish around, and eventually finagle the screw out just to open it... the chassis shell is all just riveted aluminum.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1233 on: February 28, 2017, 04:16:31 am »
I know the 2700 used a prs-10. Google images says that the newer ones used a x72 or its variants.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline VE7FIM

• Contributor
« Reply #1234 on: February 28, 2017, 04:32:19 am »
Nice score on those TimeSource 3500 units!

The Timesource 2700 CDMA units also come with a Rubidium module, and can be had for $150. I have one from a few years back, so I took it down off the shelf and opened it up. 30 screws and one (time) nut later, here's what you get if you buy one of these units:

The Rubidium module itself is a Stanford Research PRS-10, which is a NICE unit. These usually sell for $200, so this is a great deal, just for the module.

The RF front-end is also re-usable, depending on your frequency needs.

Not much else of (easily extractable) value, though.

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1235 on: February 28, 2017, 07:33:19 am »
Tek 556 ??

Nope, I guess SWMBO would kill me if I would get one of those :S

Well, I know it's not a Tek 545 or 575, so that eliminates two possibilities...

Nice to see that the solder spool wasn't pilfered from it.
Not a 506, 515A or 531A either....   :-//

(nor a 310)

-Pat

You were correct, it's none of the mentioned. It's actually a 502A. Thought It could have been guessable as the picture shows no plug-in unit, and there weren't that many Tek tube scopes without plugins iirc :)

Whopping 1MHz at lowest resolution and down to 100kHz at full resolution of .1mV/Div - dual beam with blue phosphor! I like that thing. Sadly, it's not working right now, somehow the timebase is not basing its time, so just two dots are visible. But that sould be fixable.

Just a little overview of the technological progress:

Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1236 on: February 28, 2017, 07:42:10 am »
Sweet!  The ones I listed are all I currently have on hand to directly compare it to.  P-11 phosphor, huh?  Nice.  I've got my eye out for one with that, too, but am not holding my breath.  Good luck getting its time base sweeping again.  My fingers are crossed that it's something minor.

-Pat

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1237 on: February 28, 2017, 11:04:55 pm »
Just a little overview of the technological progress:

Nice visual history. Quite the size comparison, too.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1238 on: March 01, 2017, 12:03:01 am »
I hadn't noticed that.  LOL - screen size is inversely proportional to cabinet size!  Amazing how things have progressed down through the years.  Imagine the exploded heads that would result if you could bring the top one back in time and show it to the guys working with the bottom one!

-Pat

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1239 on: March 01, 2017, 12:11:45 am »
I hadn't noticed that.  LOL - screen size is inversely proportional to cabinet size!  Amazing how things have progressed down through the years.  Imagine the exploded heads that would result if you could bring the top one back in time and show it to the guys working with the bottom one!

-Pat

Imagine if I showed my current PC to myself 25 years ago, I'd have needed new underwear. I never would have believed that I'd have 16 gigabytes of RAM and several terabytes of HD space, nevermind the fact that the CPU is thousands of times more powerful and it cost less than half what the PC my family had at the time did. It's actually a much bigger difference than the scopes if you consider the amount of processing power and storage space per unit of volume.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #1240 on: March 01, 2017, 12:39:56 am »
Imagine if I showed my current PC to myself 25 years ago, I'd have needed new underwear. I never would have believed that I'd have 16 gigabytes of RAM and several terabytes of HD space, nevermind the fact that the CPU is thousands of times more powerful and it cost less than half what the PC my family had at the time did. It's actually a much bigger difference than the scopes if you consider the amount of processing power and storage space per unit of volume.

That is quite true.  I remember about ten or fifteen years ago finding a computer magazine from the early 80s (whenever it was that the IBM PC came out and could be had with a hard drive - 84ish??) and reading about the then current systems - IBM PC, whatever the current top Rat Shack TRS-80 was, probably a Commodore something-or-other, and perhaps an Apple II.  I believe at the time I found and read it, HDDs were getting into the 1-2G neighborhood size-wise.  I was amazed at the progress then, in that you could get a 5-1/4" half height drive that held north of a gig for a few hundred bucks, when less than 20 years earlier the option was a 5-1/4" full height unit that held 10 MEGAbytes of storage, and it was $3 or $4k for the drive alone.   :o :o  1/100 of the storage for 10x the price (without compensating for inflation - with inflation it would be what, probably about 20x the price)!

Computers have certainly improved by leaps and bounds over the years.

-Pat

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1241 on: March 01, 2017, 01:16:14 am »
IIRC the XT came out in 1983 and it was a big deal that it came standard with a 10MB hard drive, 5.25" FH. In the next couple of years the 20MB ST-225 became very popular and by the late 80s 40MB was becoming fairly common while 120MB was about as big as they got. I remember drooling over 1.2GB drives, must have been around 1995, they were around $1400 plus a few hundred bucks for the required SCSI interface. I remember thinking if I had 1.2GB I could install every game I'd ever want and I'd never run out of space.

Now on the topic of test equipment, my 1980 Tek 465B is still quite usable. It offers superior performance to many of the lower end scopes that are currently on the market, albeit at much lower prices than the $2500 (1980 dollars) that the 465 originally cost. The dimensions are similar to a modern scope though about 4x as deep by necessity of the CRT.

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1242 on: March 01, 2017, 01:41:14 am »
IIRC the XT came out in 1983 and it was a big deal that it came standard with a 10MB hard drive, 5.25" FH. In the next couple of years the 20MB ST-225 became very popular and by the late 80s 40MB was becoming fairly common while 120MB was about as big as they got. I remember drooling over 1.2GB drives, must have been around 1995, they were around $1400 plus a few hundred bucks for the required SCSI interface. I remember thinking if I had 1.2GB I could install every game I'd ever want and I'd never run out of space.

I remember my first PC.  It was in 1988.  A used Pinecom XT clone.  It had a 5.25" floppy drive as well as an RLL 13MB full height hard drive.  Wow was that thing a heavy giant loud beast :)  But it was my first hard drive.  Don't know how thrilled I was to graduate to a hard drive.. from a floppy.  Lol I used to use tape on my old TI 99/4A.

debug g=c800:5
fdisk
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:44:53 am by JenniferG »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1243 on: March 01, 2017, 01:44:45 am »

Uhg, that's a memory I could do without. Seems like about half the time the system would just lock up.

The following users thanked this post: JenniferG

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1244 on: March 01, 2017, 01:55:45 am »

Ah, the good ol' days of hard disk controllers. Of course, can't forget g=c800:ccc either.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1245 on: March 01, 2017, 01:58:31 am »
Imagine the exploded heads that would result if you could bring the top one back in time and show it to the guys working with the bottom one!

They'd probably think it was a new-fangled panel or plugin for that bottom scope. ;D

"It looks like an airplane, without wings." -- Otis Peabody, Back to the Future

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1246 on: March 01, 2017, 06:14:58 am »
Well we do still make boatanchor scopes today.

http://www.keysight.com/en/pcx-x205195/infiniium-90000a-series-oscilloscopes?cc=RS&lc=eng

Just that they are a 'bit' higher performance, use even more power to run and make a lot of noise while doing so. Still costing a fortune to buy new tho.

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1247 on: March 01, 2017, 06:49:13 am »
Looks like a fancy toaster oven :)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1248 on: March 01, 2017, 03:31:44 pm »

http://www.keysight.com/en/pcx-x205195/infiniium-90000a-series-oscilloscopes?cc=RS&lc=eng

Just that they are a 'bit' higher performance, use even more power to run and make a lot of noise while doing so. Still costing a fortune to buy new tho.
That would look nice on my bench. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1249 on: March 01, 2017, 03:51:10 pm »

That would look nice on my bench. :)

Sure wouldn't look bad on mine ether. Tho probes for it would quickly get expensive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf