Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 775034 times)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2125 on: October 18, 2018, 05:36:46 pm »
I was very pleased when this arrived today:

Now if only I can find a cheap one that happens to go to 26.5 GHz to match the full range of the VNA. :)

What VNA do you have?

The VNA is actually the subject of a story for another day - hopefully coming soon.  >:D
VE7FM

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2126 on: October 19, 2018, 12:22:52 am »
Oh, it's only a cable.

But at 1.99+4.99€, I consider it a good grab.

Luckily, the seller did not mention 'triax' in the headline.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2127 on: October 19, 2018, 03:46:40 am »
Oh, it's only a cable.

Sweet!!!  That was a steal!  Congrats!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2128 on: October 19, 2018, 05:04:53 am »
Now that's a score! The connector on the end of that cable is worth more than the price and shipping combined.

How did you manage to find it then? Just happened to come across it while looking for some other cable?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2129 on: October 20, 2018, 03:50:27 am »
Oh, it's only a cable.

Sweet!!!  That was a steal!  Congrats!

Yeah, no kidding. Nice catch, NS!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2130 on: October 20, 2018, 09:34:09 pm »
Now that's a score! The connector on the end of that cable is worth more than the price and shipping combined.

How did you manage to find it then? Just happened to come across it while looking for some other cable?
By foot, so to say. While I use various searches, I go through the T&M section manually after selecting either 'auctions' or just 'anything except new'. In that way, I got a box full of PLCC clips for 1.- ('alte Pruefklammern' + blurry pic), besides other nice grabs.

Offline elecdonia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2131 on: November 09, 2018, 05:34:04 pm »
For all the people who work with audio/stereo gear:

For many years I've wanted a Sound Technology ST1701A oscillator/distortion analyzer unit.
Finally found one priced right ( < $150 USD) on ebay. Was listed as "not working/for parts or repair only"
It arrived yesterday.
Awesome piece of gear. Really well constructed. Nothing appears to be missing or damaged except for AC mains fuseholder cap
I will be giving it a thorough inspection and will replace electrolytic caps which have high ESR before I start using it.
I'm 100% positive that I can get this unit to perform perfectly.

I’m learning to be a leading-edge designer of trailing-edge technology.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2132 on: November 09, 2018, 07:48:54 pm »
Nice one, elecdonia. They're also known to have switch issues. So, you'll want to check all of them (there sure are a lot).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2133 on: November 09, 2018, 09:25:55 pm »

For many years I've wanted a Sound Technology ST1701A oscillator/distortion analyzer unit.

Where's the "drool" emoji?   ;D

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2134 on: November 10, 2018, 12:52:36 am »

Finally found one priced right ( < $150 USD) on ebay. Was listed as "not working/for parts or repair only"
It arrived yesterday.
Awesome piece of gear. Really well constructed. Nothing appears to be missing or damaged except for AC mains fuseholder cap
I will be giving it a thorough inspection and will replace electrolytic caps which have high ESR before I start using it.
I'm 100% positive that I can get this unit to perform perfectly.

The price was certainly right, if you can restore it into prime working condition.
Can I ask what is the draw to this particular unit? It seems to be a stand-out model, I am curious to know why.
I had been using a HP 8903B, and upgraded to a Panasonic VP-7722A about 1 year ago (or was it two?). I sold the HP on the forum here just weeks ago. The Panny is quite capable, with a residual of 0.00023% THD+N or 0.00008% (0.8 ppm) THD only, first 20 harmonics.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2135 on: November 12, 2018, 09:12:34 pm »
Well, couldn't keep my fingers still, so I snagged an assorted lot of RF T&M modules,
comprising of 2 schottky detectors from Aertech and 3 tunnel detectors from TRW, a Wiltron modulator, a PIN attenuator and a DC block by Americon.

And I finally aquired a Anritsu Sitemaster S251B, with the main purpose to loan it to the company where I work. They will pay for calibration, new battery and will be responsible for repair/replacement when used, plus I get something for any usage, which means that it will have paid for itself in roughly a year.
Then I will have a Sitemaster with Opt.5A+Opt.10, current calibration etc. which was essentially free.

And no, I will not let the filthy paws of our field techies touch the Sucoflex leader that comes with it, but substitute something else which I will procure on the company.

BTW, the Philips PM9355 current probe, which I mentioned in July here, is working condition!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:31:03 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2136 on: November 12, 2018, 11:04:07 pm »

The price was certainly right, if you can restore it into prime working condition.
Can I ask what is the draw to this particular unit? It seems to be a stand-out model, I am curious to know why.
I had been using a HP 8903B, and upgraded to a Panasonic VP-7722A about 1 year ago (or was it two?). I sold the HP on the forum here just weeks ago. The Panny is quite capable, with a residual of 0.00023% THD+N or 0.00008% (0.8 ppm) THD only, first 20 harmonics.

The ST-17xx series was the go-to distortion measuring setup for audio magazines for literally decades; it was the first widely available meter to provide wideband measurements much better than 0.01% IIRC and was popular because it wasn't horribly expensive and could be used as a de facto standard for audio measurements.  You knew that if everyone was using a ST then you could compare numbers with confidence.  I'm sure there were other good meters, but the ST seemed to hit the sweet spot of cost, reliability and functionality.

Offline elecdonia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2137 on: November 20, 2018, 09:25:24 pm »
I had been using a HP 8903B, and upgraded to a Panasonic VP-7722A

I would love to have either of those!

My current THD analyzer is a HP 334A. In my opinion the ST1701A unit will be a big improvement.
I keep watching for HP 339A and 8903B on ebay, but haven't run across anything in my low-budget price range yet. I prefer buying gear in the "for parts or repair only" category because I'm pretty good at troubleshooting.

Offline elecdonia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2138 on: November 20, 2018, 09:28:58 pm »
Nice one, elecdonia. They're also known to have switch issues. So, you'll want to check all of them (there sure are a lot).

I agree it has way too many buttons to select frequency. Hopefully enough of them will work that I can generate/test at the frequencies I find most useful. In practice I tend to measure THD for most audio amplifiers at 2kHz rather than 1kHz.

Curious detail: There are 3 stickers inside my ST1701A that all say "DO NOT clean or lubricate the pushbutton switches"

Offline wkt

« Reply #2139 on: November 21, 2018, 09:22:33 pm »
Salvaged two DSO8064A from being trashed, both with power supply issues.
One of them I have managed to repair and get it to boot, second still ongoing.
Will post pictures and updates!

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #2140 on: November 26, 2018, 05:09:11 pm »
Gambled and got a Keithley 614 broken from America. Turned out to be a broken power supply. I changed the 2lug triax to this 3lug triax: https://www.mouser.at/ProductDetail/Pomona-Electronics/5219?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhz5J4cFT4TO4O8VWthzn%252b3qNg4X6resj0=. I had to enlarge the mounting hole on the 614 to fit it in. For the new cable I made, I used RG316 coax and I put teflon tape under the heatshrink. I had gloves on all the time and cleaned the cable itself with isoprop. Tomorrow I will clean the board with some flux remover, because there is some flux left at the teflon solderpoints from the factory. Just for good measure. I also will calibrate it.
Also the unit was quite dirty. After veryfing that it worked, I took some time to really clean it up. Unfortunately some irreparable damage was done to the front panel.

PSU repair: LM317 and 7805 changed and batteries removed since the were completely discharged. Heatsink added to the 7805, becuase thermal stress might have been the cause of its failure. As recommended in the manual R147 was removed, since the 32V read below 29V. Around 28.5V. Removing that resistor brought it back up to 32V. Also the -32V is around that value. Before it was -29V. -5V lowered to -5.3V, but that should be fine.
http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2141 on: November 26, 2018, 08:26:33 pm »
I finally decided to take a picture of my $5 oscilloscope, the HP 54201D.  I was told that it wasn't working but it was money to my ham club.  Along with that, I got a Wavetek 186 5 MHz phase lock generator that was supposed to be working but isn't.  Trying to work with Erik at Wavetek to find a service manual for it.

I am displaying an approximately 13 MHz sine wave from my not warmed up HP 3312A FG.  The UI is.....................interesting.  I am starting to get the hang of it.  Quirky, like me.  My first thought was to see if I could sell it on and maybe make a bit of cash on it but the more I read the manual and play with it, the more I like it.  I think, for now, that I will keep it.  It also has the 3 10271A state data probes but no grabbers and only 1 connector with wires.  So far it has cleaned up well on the outside.  I do need to replace the velcro that holds the pouch closed.  I haven't peeked under her skirt yet.  If/when I do, I will post additional pics.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:29:27 pm by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2142 on: November 26, 2018, 08:32:02 pm »
Certainly can't argue with that for 5 bucks.

Looks in nice condition tho you may want to have a look at the CRT cirucitry a bit. That image looks a bit weirdly bent. Maybe its just some trimmers that need a tweak or there is something magnetic near the CRT screwing it up, or it could be a component on its way out.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2143 on: November 26, 2018, 08:41:00 pm »
I can safely say there is nothing magnetic nearby.  Just more TE.  I have to get up the energy to open it up--wait, should probably do some reading in the service manual first.  I was on vacation last week and am happy to be back to work to get a vacation from my vacation. |O  I am playing with it in between doing things for work.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2144 on: November 26, 2018, 09:33:37 pm »
Some little accessories for my Marcony power  meter ;)
Not exceed my budget 250EUR ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:35:09 pm by BFX »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #2145 on: November 28, 2018, 03:16:03 pm »
Sweet deal, that. Payed more for it some time ago.

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #2146 on: November 28, 2018, 04:11:36 pm »
Just scored a HP 5350B, it was going to be ewasted

Seen in attached photo with a 5315A I scored last year free, saved from ewaste

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2147 on: November 28, 2018, 06:51:13 pm »
I finally decided to take a picture of my $5 oscilloscope, the HP 54201D.  I was told that it wasn't working but it was money to my ham club.  Along with that, I got a Wavetek 186 5 MHz phase lock generator that was supposed to be working but isn't.  Trying to work with Erik at Wavetek to find a service manual for it.

I am displaying an approximately 13 MHz sine wave from my not warmed up HP 3312A FG.  The UI is.....................interesting.  I am starting to get the hang of it.  Quirky, like me.  My first thought was to see if I could sell it on and maybe make a bit of cash on it but the more I read the manual and play with it, the more I like it.  I think, for now, that I will keep it.  It also has the 3 10271A state data probes but no grabbers and only 1 connector with wires.  So far it has cleaned up well on the outside.  I do need to replace the velcro that holds the pouch closed.  I haven't peeked under her skirt yet.  If/when I do, I will post additional pics.

I owned one of those a decade ago, didn't keep it long though.
6 bit ADC's I could just about live with but the UI was just too much to handle.

Offline rastro

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2148 on: November 28, 2018, 10:15:41 pm »
Just scored a HP 5350B, it was going to be ewasted

Seen in attached photo with a 5315A I scored last year free, saved from ewaste

NICE!!  Looks like a pristine unit - very clean.  I just wish I had a dumpster like that.  :-+
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:19:28 pm by rastro »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2149 on: November 28, 2018, 11:23:00 pm »

I owned one of those a decade ago, didn't keep it long though.
6 bit ADC's I could just about live with but the UI was just too much to handle.

I have been known to have an appreciation for the odd.  The UI is nothing else if odd and it simply tickles my funny bone.  I would love to know what the HP engineers were thinking smoking when they came with that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf