Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 774953 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2175 on: December 06, 2018, 03:29:32 am »
Its also possible they have been part of the "recall" of the U127x meters that had common mode issues on the amps range. Instead of doing the classical recall they just instead gave you a meter that doesn't have the issue. This sort of support is the reason why you pay a premium for Keysight gear versus say Rigol.

I still haven't found the perfect handheld meter yet but im pretty happy with Keysights ones so far. Calibration on all of them is still spot on to the last digit after years.
Of course, they were fairly reluctant to do anything at first. When the community here started making a fuss Keysight decided handing out new meters was cheaper than damaging the brand name.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2176 on: December 06, 2018, 08:10:09 am »
Daves video from yesterday fits right in:

Yeah i did such a stupid thing too, but in that case all that blew was a glass fuse.

Oh and the Multimeter fiasco well yeah they will try to sweep it under the rug at first and just hope everyone forgets, but it instead got worse so they quickly had to do something about it. Keysight is a very valuable brand after all.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2177 on: December 06, 2018, 10:19:33 am »
Not so much a score but because of magic smoke potential and the posts above / Dave's pepcac I brought a 240V-100V 'fixed' 500W transformer to go with my Advantest above. No more worry about my Variac getting a stray tweak while in use :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2178 on: December 06, 2018, 12:35:09 pm »
Its also possible they have been part of the "recall" of the U127x meters that had common mode issues on the amps range. Instead of doing the classical recall they just instead gave you a meter that doesn't have the issue. This sort of support is the reason why you pay a premium for Keysight gear versus say Rigol.

I still haven't found the perfect handheld meter yet but im pretty happy with Keysights ones so far. Calibration on all of them is still spot on to the last digit after years.
Er... so what is a “classic recall” to you, then? Replacement seems to be how everyone handles recalls with small gadgets.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2179 on: December 06, 2018, 01:42:09 pm »
I think he is meaning they didn’t even ask for the faulty ones back like in a “classic recall”

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #2180 on: December 06, 2018, 02:18:27 pm »
Picked up a new power supply for half-price because people don't seem to understand how voltage input selection switches work.  I saw the auction picture and knew this was going to be a score!   :-DD
This mistake doesn't normally end as well in 230V land!
All the Siglents that use a linear supply are set to 230 ex factory (Shenzhen is 230VAC) and are shipped with a warning tape over the IEC socket so to warn the user to set the correct voltage.
Like Bill says, someone couldn't read.....and that's a real worry in electronics !  :scared:

That's one plus for having the 120V system here!  This isn't the first item I've seen from some liquidator on eBay selling a "not-working" item with the selectors set for 220V/230V!

Is is wrong of me to not tell them that they could probably just change the switches?  What about if I try to negotiate even more off the price because it's a non-working item?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:21:07 pm by BillB »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2181 on: December 06, 2018, 04:13:27 pm »
Picked up a new power supply for half-price because people don't seem to understand how voltage input selection switches work.  I saw the auction picture and knew this was going to be a score!   :-DD
All the Siglents that use a linear supply are set to 230 ex factory (Shenzhen is 230VAC) and are shipped with a warning tape over the IEC socket so to warn the user to set the correct voltage.
Like Bill says, someone couldn't read.....and that's a real worry in electronics !  :scared:

That's one plus for having the 120V system here!  This isn't the first item I've seen from some liquidator on eBay selling a "not-working" item with the selectors set for 220V/230V!

Is is wrong of me to not tell them that they could probably just change the switches?  What about if I try to negotiate even more off the price because it's a non-working item?  ;D
No.
Yes.  >:D

Or there's some staff member having set this up hoping to get it cheap......beat them to it !  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rastro

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2182 on: December 06, 2018, 07:06:58 pm »

No.
Yes.  >:D

Or there's some staff member having set this up hoping to get it cheap......beat them to it !  ;D

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.  (Hanlon's razor)  ;D

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2183 on: December 07, 2018, 01:03:12 am »
Hanlon's razor is very good for shaving prices. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: rastro

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2184 on: December 07, 2018, 01:07:30 am »

Er... so what is a “classic recall” to you, then? Replacement seems to be how everyone handles recalls with small gadgets.

So we can expect a flood of secondhand slightly non working cheap U127x series meter coming to an Ebay near you soon :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2185 on: December 07, 2018, 01:27:38 am »

Hmm, interesting that they photographed it working though, or is that photo of the front one that you took?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #2186 on: December 07, 2018, 02:08:10 am »

Hmm, interesting that they photographed it working though, or is that photo of the front one that you took?

No, the working photo was mine after it took me 1 minute to unbox and "fix" it.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2187 on: December 07, 2018, 02:29:18 am »
That kind of distortion may be removable via an adjustment somewhere. It was normal for CRT equipment to develop that kind of distortion to some degree - as components aged, even when it was rotated/moved. So there are usually adjustments to cancel all those kinds of distortion out.

I can safely say there is nothing magnetic nearby.  Just more TE.  I have to get up the energy to open it up--wait, should probably do some reading in the service manual first.  I was on vacation last week and am happy to be back to work to get a vacation from my vacation. |O  I am playing with it in between doing things for work.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline mikron

• Contributor
« Reply #2188 on: December 07, 2018, 12:56:55 pm »
What about an Agilent N9010A Analyzer for 5 EUR on EBAY?
Unfortunately I will never receive it, since the seller cancelled the deal after I sent him the money.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:58:45 pm by mikron »

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2189 on: December 07, 2018, 01:03:22 pm »

So we can expect a flood of secondhand slightly non working cheap U127x series meter coming to an Ebay near you soon :palm:

Well its not ideal, but you do take a risk in buying a used meter and its your own responsibility to make sure it works. The problem is patched with a firmware update for older units.

I think the eaby wave is well over by now, but i certainly wouldn't mind another U1273A on the cheap. I really like that meter.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2190 on: December 07, 2018, 01:04:06 pm »
What about an Agilent N9010A Analyzer for 5 EUR on EBAY?
Unfortunately I will never receive it, since the seller cancelled the deal after I sent him the money.

Now that would have been the deal of a lifetime

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2191 on: December 07, 2018, 04:34:23 pm »
That kind of distortion may be removable via an adjustment somewhere. It was normal for CRT equipment to develop that kind of distortion to some degree - as components aged, even when it was rotated/moved. So there are usually adjustments to cancel all those kinds of distortion out.

I can safely say there is nothing magnetic nearby.  Just more TE.  I have to get up the energy to open it up--wait, should probably do some reading in the service manual first.  I was on vacation last week and am happy to be back to work to get a vacation from my vacation. |O  I am playing with it in between doing things for work.

I do have the service manual downloaded so I can see if there is anything in the manual about it.  That will be fun, moving it around to open it up.  It surely qualifies as a boat anchor.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2192 on: December 07, 2018, 10:07:09 pm »
Pretty good score considering they go for roughly $7K new, or $1500 - $2500 used.

https://prostudioconnection.com/collections/ntp-network-time-servers/products/spectracom-securesync-gps-10mhz-tcxo-ntp-network-time-server-w-triple-gigabit-new-other-see-details

Found one on the "dock of the bay" for $499 parts only, but did a best offer, and got a sizable discount, nearly half off. It was a risk, but...
Since it boots from the 1MB CF Card, and it wasn't booting, I popped in a good booting one, with the latest firmware onboard, and shazzaaam. Like new.

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #2193 on: December 07, 2018, 11:16:44 pm »
Haven't been posting but you guys know I have a soft spot for old HP gear.  But what kicked-off this spate of spending was the recent Frequency Measuring Test.  I brought up my Cesium beam and had a problem which Corby (great time-nut, everyone should have a Corby) helped me fix quickly by sending me a -2500V power supply for $30.  Well in the process I started thinking about building a Dual Mixer Time Difference test set for doing ADEV work on oscillators.  So in looking around I found 2 x HP 10811 Oscillators for $65 per with shipping.  That's an OK price but they have to have good stability to be a deal...

So then on scanning Craig's list for old HP equipment to pull the 10811's out of, I found an HP 8770S/A 120Mhz arbitrary wave generator for $45.  This has an 10811 in it standard whereas a lot of HP equipment needs option 01 or 001 to signify that it has a high-stability generator.  Brought the 8770 home with the intention of gutting it for the oscillator and attenuator but tested it and it works great!  So now I might keep it for a while as I could use a net 50Mhz or so arbitrary generator.  I did some VB code to generate the waves and they are pretty cool for the age.

Then in looking for another 10811 as I need three for the test set (not mandatory) I found an HP 8350B with an 83525A .01 - 8.0 Ghz sweeper for $135 plus shipping.  Not wanting it to get away and fully expecting the price to take off in the next day or so, I offered $150 with local pickup and no returns and the gentleman took it!  I think it's a deal.  I brought it home, picture attached, and it is beautiful, works great, calibration was good to 2017, etc.  Love it.  I wanted one for a while to be able to test higher frequencies with my 8566B.  This is my new darling.  Nice and quiet as well.

Anyway, that's all for now.  Best of luck bin-diving as we go through the holidays.

Jerry

Anyway, Every time I say I am now "fully configured" I think of something else I "need."

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2194 on: December 08, 2018, 12:53:00 am »
Then in looking for another 10811 as I need three for the test set (not mandatory) I found an HP 8350B with an 83525A .01 - 8.0 Ghz sweeper for $135 plus shipping.  Not wanting it to get away and fully expecting the price to take off in the next day or so, I offered $150 with local pickup and no returns and the gentleman took it!  I think it's a deal.  I brought it home, picture attached, and it is beautiful, works great, calibration was good to 2017, etc.  Love it.  I wanted one for a while to be able to test higher frequencies with my 8566B.  This is my new darling.  Nice and quiet as well.

You lucky dog! Congrats!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #2195 on: December 08, 2018, 04:05:20 am »
What I "need" now is a power meter, like a 436 or 437 with cable and sensor.  So I'll put that out there if anyone has one that is surplus to their needs or knows a source.  I've been hesitant to purchase one off eBay as I hear that the sensors are generally bad, burned out, stressed, etc.  I'm sure that person who told me this is painting with a broad brush though.  The 8350 setup can use an external meter for leveling to .1dBm accuracy. So not that I need that level of accuracy just that if it can be done, why the heck not?    I've seen the meters for less than $75, actually have a local here with a 436 for $15 that powers on so I might pick that up a scrounge for a sensor and cable.

Now that I have el sweeper, I can test all these filters and amplifiers I've acquired to a new level of precision.  I'll have to figure out how to use it with my 8566B if possible as a tracking generator.  I have external mixers, directional couplers, etc so worst case I could just put the spectrum analyzer in peak hold mode.

Anyway, lots of fun.

Jerry

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2196 on: December 08, 2018, 04:20:34 pm »
With a start like that, I thought there will be ANOTHER story of paleo-instrumentation, but WTF?

Haven't been posting but you guys know I have a soft spot for old HP gear.

..... I found an HP 8770S/A 120Mhz arbitrary wave generator for $45. .....

Then in looking for another 10811 as I need three for the test set (not mandatory) I found an HP 8350B with an 83525A .01 - 8.0 Ghz sweeper for $135 plus shipping. ...

Tales from a mythical country.  :'(

Offline rastro

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2197 on: December 08, 2018, 04:26:43 pm »
What I "need" now is a power meter, like a 436 or 437 with cable and sensor. 
...I've been hesitant to purchase one off eBay as I hear that the sensors are generally bad, burned out, stressed, etc.  I'm sure that person who told me this is painting with a broad brush though. ...
Jerry

I've had close to a dozen HP 8484A sensors from eBay over the last 5 years pass over my workbench and have had pretty good luck.  I can't remember receiving any from eBay's "used" category being bad.  I've also bought a few listed under "parts/repair" as unknown that also checked out OK.  In fact one was listed as "parts/repair - would not zero".  After fixing the cracked plastic clip that holds the sensor cartage cartridge wires to the PCB it zeroed and calibrated fine.  Yes you would need to have it re-characterized if you move or mess with the sensor cartage cartridge. 

I like the 8484's because they go down to -70dBm and you can use an18Ghz 30dB attenuator to bring it up from it's max -20dBm to +10dBm when needed.  You would also need to purchase the 50Mhz calibrated 30dB attenuator to perform meter calibration.  You can't use the 50Mhz for other frequencies so you would need a separate broadband 30dB attenuator for power levels up to +10dBm across the sensors frequency range.

When purchasing one of the 84XX series I would look under the 'used' category for one with the calibration chart attached.  You should be able to pick up a working 8484A for around $100.00.  I've run power level tests from the same signal source on several 8484A (from eBay) against their respective calibration correction charts an found they all tracked pretty close across their frequency range when using their correction coefficients.  So it seems like if it is working the calibration chart is still relevant. 

You may also lean toward the 437 since you can store the calibration coefficients in a frequency lookup table - some added convenience.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 08:12:35 pm by rastro »

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #2198 on: December 08, 2018, 05:29:46 pm »
I found a 437 last night with cable and sensor and after two offers that I've been turned down, I might just bite the bullet and buy the efing thing now.  I mean come on, why would someone put BO if they're only going to take the buy it now price?  Don't they know there are bottom feeders out there that need to be fed too?

The other question I have is how does one of these meters compare to a RYO using some of the AD chips?  If you use a good ADC to read the DC output and calibrate it against a table, I would think some of the AD5513 and the others, can't remember the number(s), would also give them a run for the money.  Wouldn't calibrating an AD5513 board with a scope and 50ohm standard be pretty accurate? Would also need multiple frequency tables I guess.   The output signal would have to be amplified to the correct scale to feed the 8350 system so maybe that's a lot of work for so-so results.

Another question here, and this might not be the place, is how do these meters compare to an 8566B SA which is good to .2dBm, I think?  I'll have to pull the datasheets.  I think the 8566B goes to +30dBm, I know my Advantest SA does which is a little higher than most of the sensors on the 437 system.  So do I really "need" the 437?  ha, maybe I should move this to the TEA forum...

Darn, I guess I will try one more offer on the 437...

Jerry

Offline rastro

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2199 on: December 08, 2018, 09:27:39 pm »
...  I mean come on, why would someone put BO if they're only going to take the buy it now price?
Jerry
eBay has recently changed their selling interface & structure.  As in the past they always have specials where you can 'list' for free but are required to pay a percentage when the item is sold.  Now when you choose to list, you must choose to accept Best Offer solicitations or else there is an additional opt out charge  (i.e. sell with a firm price).  It doesn't mean you have to accept these BO's - you just have to be open to these offers.  So if you want to 'list' for 'free' you have to take the BO option.  It's a stupid and petty requirement from eBay - they still make plenty with their seller fee. 

The other question I have is how does one of these meters compare to a RYO using some of the AD chips?  ...

Another question here, and this might not be the place, is how do these meters compare to an 8566B SA which is good to .2dBm, I think? 
Jerry

I think the AD chips may be limited on frequency range and repeatability.  They are a good value proposition for the price.  There are rf power meters modules/units sold on ebay utilizing these chips.  If I was going to rely on one I would characterize it against an HP power meter and then resell the HP if you are happy with the performance of the AD based measurements.

On the HP 8566/8 you may be confusing power resolution with its accuracy/repeatability.  The HP 436/7 with its power sensors are significantly more accurate and repeatable.  The RF path through an SA goes through RF switches and variable RF attenuators which creates mechanical repeatability issues that are not present in the 437 power meter.  The SA is more a 'qualitative' instrument like an o-scope.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:31:53 pm by rastro »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf