Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 777280 times)

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2500 on: July 02, 2019, 04:56:02 pm »
Since I must have acquired a really bad case of TEA, I placed a bid on a governmental sales of a TDS8000 sampling oscilloscope that supposedly had been used in a scientific research facility and was offered non-functional...whatever that means. I was quite surprised when I received a letter (yes, by snail-mail  :o) from the sales organization with an invoice, confirming that I got the deal! 300EUR plus tax.

I picked up the instrument which came with all the documentation, software CDs and one 50GHz sampling module included (this alone will outweigh the spendings substantially if I should decide to sell), and was clean as a whiste, not even "real" dust on the fans or inside, and as expected, found all of the three memory backup batteries to be flat. Batteries replaced, instrument calibrated, and still after power cycling I get the error of faulty NVRAM data integrity and another message that relates to calibration data incoherency. So probably I've got to replace that crappy Dallas / Maxim NVRAM module on the acquisition board which seems to fail just too frequently to be coincidence. Anyway, after calibration and without power cycling the instrument, it performs quite well.

Do I really need this monster? Surely not! But it's quite some fun to be able to enter these frequency ranges to actually qualify and quantify fast edges and high frequency signals. Since my version still came with the Windows 98 operating system, and there seems to be improved system software available for an XP O/S equipped version, this update will be next. Fortunately, the instrument came with the latest PC motherboard that should permit this update without too much hassle (I hope...).

Anyway, who can claim that he can measure rise times of 30ps... ?  8)

Cheers,
Thomas

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, TheNewLab, Neomys Sapiens

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2501 on: July 02, 2019, 05:46:38 pm »
Now that is an impressive deal for 300 bucks.

I had to pay that much just for the plugin module on my HP sampling scope.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2502 on: July 02, 2019, 07:12:10 pm »
Do I really need this monster?

Yes.

Yes you do need it. If you don't believe me ask us here -

TEA Group
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2503 on: July 03, 2019, 12:42:25 am »
Since I must have acquired a really bad case of TEA

Yeah, it happens. You'll live.

I placed a bid on a governmental sales of a TDS8000 sampling oscilloscope that supposedly had been used in a scientific research facility and was offered non-functional...whatever that means. I was quite surprised when I received a letter (yes, by snail-mail  :o) from the sales organization with an invoice, confirming that I got the deal! 300EUR plus tax.

Quite a deal, indeed! Nice one, Tom.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2504 on: July 17, 2019, 01:20:24 am »
So I rolled the dice and seems I need to do a little repair job or two. :-- $400 USD landed on my door from the USA and only $40 of that with evilbay global for freight instead of $120 cost (seller screwup) :-+ So off to the 'shelf' until I find it some time for a little loving and some power.

Valhalla 2500-EP Current Amplifier.

Relay Daughter board has broken stand offs and seems to have relied on the wire and tracks for one of the mounts regardless :horse: :palm:

Shipping hit to the side frame to be taken up with the seller or just suck it up but worst case some gentle heat and clamping will likely take it out. Much less work than my 740B Handle welding job.

786978-0
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 01:24:05 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2505 on: July 17, 2019, 10:30:07 pm »
So I rolled the dice and seems I need to do a little repair job or two. :-- $400 USD landed on my door from the USA and only $40 of that with evilbay global for freight instead of $120 cost (seller screwup) :-+ So off to the 'shelf' until I find it some time for a little loving and some power.

Relay Daughter board has broken stand offs and seems to have relied on the wire and tracks for one of the mounts regardless :horse: :palm:

Shipping hit to the side frame to be taken up with the seller or just suck it up but worst case some gentle heat and clamping will likely take it out. Much less work than my 740B Handle welding job.

Does this mean that you have set your sights on a Valhalla multipurpose calibrator? Or is it already underway?

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2506 on: July 18, 2019, 11:59:35 am »
Another DMM (a GMC rebrand): LEM Unigor 350 with silicone sleeve, AC current clamp adapter, test leads, carry case and manual for 41€ posted. (+much much patience and determination!)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2507 on: July 18, 2019, 12:06:45 pm »

Does this mean that you have set your sights on a Valhalla multipurpose calibrator? Or is it already underway?

At 'this stage' the Fluke 335D and Valhalla 2703 with this one will do me to AC/DC and I calibration gear. In reality for anything I do now or am planning to make over the next few years is covered but a 3458A later in the year might be in my sights ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #2508 on: July 18, 2019, 08:39:22 pm »
Got this Toellner Lab power supply from the evil bay. Description said "untested and for parts only", picture showed a pretty much beaten up unit.
Made a lowball offer, and got this:

It's a dual channel 32V / 5A (each channel) supply - and yes it worked out of the box. Needs some slaps with a hammer to make the covers fit again, and new encoders. Will have to figure out how to remove the front panel PCB to see what type they are and then order some new ones.

From my experience, Toellner makes pretty good lab supplies, and some other interesting stuff, so I'm quite happy with it.

What I don't like - they mount a lot of parts using blind rivets. Hope I don't encounter one when removing the front PCB.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:43:23 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2509 on: July 18, 2019, 10:03:53 pm »
Lucky you, I like the build of this supply. I hadn't heard of Toellner until recently when I stumbled on a F.G. looking for something else.
Would you say they're a kind of Bang & Olufsen of T.E?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2510 on: July 18, 2019, 10:31:05 pm »
Lucky you, I like the build of this supply. I hadn't heard of Toellner until recently when I stumbled on a F.G. looking for something else.
No. Ok, I have no idea what Bang&Olufsen mean to you and I know only they do premium Hifi stuff.
If you mean 'gold standard' or high end - definitely not. They build solid gear, that did also appear under SIEMENS branding. You seem to think about Rohde & Schwarz (their real stuff, not the HAMEG line). Where Power Supplies are concerned, I would rate them along with Zentro, but not with Heinzinger, delta elektronika or R&S.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2511 on: July 18, 2019, 10:33:57 pm »
Another DMM (a GMC rebrand): LEM Unigor 350 with silicone sleeve, AC current clamp adapter, test leads, carry case and manual for 41€ posted. (+much much patience and determination!)
Good grab. The Gossen Mavo30 will leave me again into a lady engineer's hands, as I shot myself a TekMeter THM560 for 100.-

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2512 on: July 18, 2019, 11:05:09 pm »
Good grab. The Gossen Mavo30 will leave me again into a lady engineer's hands, as I shot myself a TekMeter THM560 for 100.-
That was a good deal.
I bought the THM565 a while back a little more.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2513 on: July 18, 2019, 11:45:03 pm »
Got this Toellner Lab power supply from the evil bay. Description said "untested and for parts only", picture showed a pretty much beaten up unit.
Made a lowball offer, and got this:

It's a dual channel 32V / 5A (each channel) supply - and yes it worked out of the box. Needs some slaps with a hammer to make the covers fit again, and new encoders. Will have to figure out how to remove the front panel PCB to see what type they are and then order some new ones.

From my experience, Toellner makes pretty good lab supplies, and some other interesting stuff, so I'm quite happy with it.

What I don't like - they mount a lot of parts using blind rivets. Hope I don't encounter one when removing the front PCB.
This reminds me of a few years ago, when I saw a pair of Toellner PSUs (one AC, one DC) on a local classifieds, which I agreed to buy. But then the seller never showed up at the agreed upon time, and never replied back again.  >:(

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2514 on: July 19, 2019, 12:17:20 am »
That was a good deal.
See what I wrote in the TEA section....

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2515 on: July 19, 2019, 07:55:55 am »
That was a good deal.
You got lucky it was misspelled!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #2516 on: July 19, 2019, 08:41:22 am »
No. Ok, I have no idea what Bang&Olufsen mean to you and I know only they do premium Hifi stuff.
If you mean 'gold standard' or high end - definitely not. They build solid gear, that did also appear under SIEMENS branding. You seem to think about Rohde & Schwarz (their real stuff, not the HAMEG line). Where Power Supplies are concerned, I would rate them along with Zentro, but not with Heinzinger, delta elektronika or R&S.

Toellner has for most units a really clear, simple and intuitive user interface. This particular one has digital encoders for the settings (older ones have 10-Turn pots), and a button to select the digit to adjust. It keeps all the settings when you turn it off and on, emulating the behaviour of an pure analog supply. Way much better UI than the Keysight E36312A, though I like the display and high accuracy of the Keysight.
Regarding other brands, I'd prefer this (or a similar) Toellner over Heinzinger or Delta Elektronica (of similar vintage) in that output voltage / power range.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2517 on: July 19, 2019, 04:55:46 pm »

:o Where did you find the lady engineer? I think I've seen even less of those around than Toellner T.E.

Offline yo0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2518 on: July 19, 2019, 06:10:22 pm »
2 pieces hp 3478a  $29usd each, free shipping, one with u.c. rom fail but even with the reported error it works perfectly and still on calibration :)

best regards

Pio
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:00:20 pm by yo0 »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2519 on: July 19, 2019, 11:54:15 pm »
Wow, $29 each. Nice score!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2520 on: July 20, 2019, 05:19:01 am »
That was a good deal.
You got lucky it was misspelled!
Sorry. I don't get it. What was misspelled?

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #2521 on: July 20, 2019, 05:43:20 am »
Nice score on the 3478a!

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2522 on: July 20, 2019, 08:42:55 am »

In the listing for your Tektronix THM560, it was spelled Tektronik , might be one reason why you got it so cheap.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2523 on: July 20, 2019, 08:44:45 am »

In the listing for your Tektronix THM560, it was spelled Tektronik , might be one reason why you got it so cheap.

Hint ... textronix ... tektronik ... tektronics ... and so on ... scored few quality Tek cheap stuff while ago.  >:D

Offline Kinkless Tetrode

• Regular Contributor
  • Tubes, Test & Measurement, Audio, and RF
« Reply #2524 on: July 20, 2019, 12:10:59 pm »
Just scored an HP 3456A parts only on eBay for $36 USD. I just could not resist, TEA...  I powered it up and the self test brightly glowed the infamous -3 error.  Opening the lid, I found some ICs with green copper corrosion on the leads, so let the fixing begin... :-/O
Whilst others count beans, I count electrons, and photons too.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, elecdonia

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf