Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 781384 times)

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #2550 on: August 23, 2019, 10:31:00 pm »
Just scored this nice Thermo Hygrograph für a whopping 20€. It was "defective" and according to the seller the motor was "not working".
So, after I received it, I replaced the old, leaky battery and... well.. suprise suprise, it works. Needs to be calibrated though. I don't think that I have 15%rh inside here (and 70% after completely soaking the horse hair...).

Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline L_Euler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2551 on: August 28, 2019, 01:33:37 am »
Tek TM502A w/toolbox insert
Tek AM503B in perfect condition
Tek A6302 current probe

All functioning correctly and in really nice condition $225 shipped. Initially I just wanted the two slot chassis for calibration of other TM modules. With the outer cover removed the module internals are accessible without extender cards.
There's no point to getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2552 on: September 20, 2019, 11:30:51 am »
I just pulled the trigger on oscilloscope number 15 (if I got the count right)... this time it is a Lecroy Wavepro 7200A in 'for parts' condition for $400 on Ebay. Looks complete from the pictures but the front bezel is broken. See what the mailman drags in. This would be my first real (not rebadged) Lecroy oscilloscope.

839870-0

The display doesn't work so I hope the VGA output on the rear shows some signs of life.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:34:31 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Commander_Spock

• Contributor
« Reply #2553 on: September 20, 2019, 12:00:02 pm »
Received this old 100 Ohms precision resistor bought on ebay (50usd + shipping).
This had been built by Rivlin Instrument Ltd and i found on the internet they closed in 1973.
Looking at the serial number appearing on the top i see it end with /70 so i guess this had been build in 1970.
I know that resistor precision evolve around time and saw somewhere that NIST consider that after 25 years their characteristics start to be very stable... if all this is true as this baby is now 48 years old it should be very stable and reliable over time...

If you look one of the screw is masked by somekind of red something that bear the initial of the company proving nobody ever opened it...
I tried to test it with a brymen bm869s give 100.86 ohms and a unit-t 61e shows 100.95 ohms (both measured made using the same wires) and even if this is not 4 wires measurement it looks good so far... will need to find somebody owning a better multimeter to try a 4 wire measurement... or will have to wait i buy one..

If anybody know more about this equipment or own one will be happy to get comments...

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:35:00 pm by Commander_Spock »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #2554 on: September 20, 2019, 12:35:47 pm »
I just pulled the trigger on oscilloscope number 15 (if I got the count right)... this time it is a Lecroy Wavepro 7200A in 'for parts' condition for $400 on Ebay. Looks complete from the pictures but the front bezel is broken. See what the mailman drags in. This would be my first real (not rebadged) Lecroy oscilloscope.

(Attachment Link)

The display doesn't work so I hope the VGA output on the rear shows some signs of life.

I'm interested in that bezel, regardless of the state.

Display: got two of them (kinda) a while a go, both with bad CCFL tubes. Should have VGA in that case.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2555 on: September 20, 2019, 01:30:00 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I'm interested in that bezel, regardless of the state.

Display: got two of them (kinda) a while a go, both with bad CCFL tubes. Should have VGA in that case.
If it is just the CCFL then it will be a simple fix. I have a few CCFL to LED conversion kits somewhere so I could put these to good use. Fingers crossed. I'm not looking for a big fixer-upper project right now but could use the bandwidth for an ongoing project.

Can't help with the bezel though; I'd like to keep it. I can probably glue it together.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:32:50 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #2556 on: September 20, 2019, 02:04:13 pm »

Congrats! Recently I've also scored similar scope (DDA-3000 - essentially WP7300A), although not that cheap :) It came without the bezel entirely, so I had to go through the ordeal of 3D printing, gluing, poly putty, sanding, painting etc. Worked out, but not very pretty - my poor manual skills. (Big thanks to Mechatrommer for providing the 3D model).

I wouldn't worry about the display - you will probably want to upgrade the PC parts and put new XGA panel (like I did) or even iPad Retina panel anyway (see the big DDA3000 modding thread).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2557 on: September 20, 2019, 10:45:50 pm »
Why do I suddenly get the idea to mill a new bezel from wood?  >:D

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2558 on: September 20, 2019, 11:31:51 pm »

LOL!! Deluxe edition...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #2559 on: September 21, 2019, 12:03:56 am »

LOL!! Deluxe edition...

Add some harvest gold tassels to frame the display, and you can go full-on 70s era pimped-out scope!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2560 on: September 21, 2019, 02:34:16 am »
That bezel is easily repairable, get some fine wire mesh (https://www.twpinc.com/80-mesh-t316-stainless-0037), cut small strips with scissors, put them to red glow with a small torch, and quickly apply the srip at the back of the bezel with tweezers just where the crack is. If you do it properly the heat melts the plastic and embeds the mesh inside, giving you a durable and strong bond, unlike glues

The following users thanked this post: Berni, nctnico

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2561 on: September 21, 2019, 10:35:09 am »

I actually had the idea to have a batch of these bezels run and sell them for, say, 100€/pop. Might still do that some day..

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2562 on: September 21, 2019, 10:42:30 am »

I actually had the idea to have a batch of these bezels run and sell them for, say, 100€/pop. Might still do that some day..
For that price I expect a chrome trim  8)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2563 on: September 21, 2019, 10:45:56 am »

A brave move after all your comments over the years about LeCroy's lack of Peak detect.
I'm sure it will serve you well.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2564 on: September 21, 2019, 11:27:00 am »

A brave move after all your comments over the years about LeCroy's lack of Peak detect.
I'm sure it will serve you well.  :)
Well.. I didn't buy it as a general purpose oscilloscope but purely for the bandwidth / signal analysis capabilities. I don't expect to use it often. The price was just too good to let it pass.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:29:21 am by nctnico »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2565 on: September 21, 2019, 11:48:07 am »

For that price I expect a chrome trim  8)

I payed more for one some time ago. 3D printing one is more expensive if you have it done and looks worse. What you have there is a machine of a few k€. If you want to sell it, you can probably up the price a few hundred 100€ with a decent bezel. Eh, well, don't have the cash for it right now. And maybe I'll add chrome trim  :-DD

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #2566 on: September 21, 2019, 12:59:18 pm »
I payed more for one some time ago. 3D printing one is more expensive if you have it done and looks worse. What you have there is a machine of a few k€. If you want to sell it, you can probably up the price a few hundred 100€ with a decent bezel. Eh, well, don't have the cash for it right now. And maybe I'll add chrome trim  :-DD

After I made mine I found this auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273985841170

So that might be an option for you, no messy work needed and 48h of 3D printing.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2567 on: September 21, 2019, 01:02:33 pm »
Sorry but I wouldn't pay $70 for that. Does anyone have a 3D model for the bezel? I can ask the company I outsource 3D design & printing to if they can print it in one piece and see how much it will cost.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #2568 on: September 21, 2019, 03:43:03 pm »
P6042, for a handshake.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #2569 on: September 21, 2019, 09:11:09 pm »
Sorry but I wouldn't pay $70 for that. Does anyone have a 3D model for the bezel? I can ask the company I outsource 3D design & printing to if they can print it in one piece and see how much it will cost.

Courtesy of Mechatrommer:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/upgrading-mainboard-in-lecroy-dda-3000-(aka-wavepro-7300a)/msg2060719/#msg2060719

I also wouldn't pay $70, that's why I printed it myself with PLA, but had to do in 6 parts, so then gluing, putty, sanding, painting, mess etc. I thought about "outsourcing" it as you say, it would be nice to have it SLS printed in one piece, but these outsource 3D printing shops charge min 40 GBP and probably much more for such big model and that's probably not even SLS, just FDM for that price.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2570 on: September 21, 2019, 09:43:53 pm »

Courtesy of Mechatrommer:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/upgrading-mainboard-in-lecroy-dda-3000-(aka-wavepro-7300a)/msg2060719/#msg2060719

I also wouldn't pay $70, that's why I printed it myself with PLA, but had to do in 6 parts, so then gluing, putty, sanding, painting, mess etc. I thought about "outsourcing" it as you say, it would be nice to have it SLS printed in one piece, but these outsource 3D printing shops charge min 40 GBP and probably much more for such big model and that's probably not even SLS, just FDM for that price.
Thanks for linking to the 3D models. I just mailed the model to my '3D printing guy'. See what he comes up with...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2571 on: September 24, 2019, 04:04:22 pm »
Well the 7200A has arrived!
There is output on the VGA port at the rear but during boot it gives a blue screen and then resets. I'm going to try a fresh install on an SSD first.

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #2572 on: September 24, 2019, 06:26:02 pm »
There is output on the VGA port at the rear but during boot it gives a blue screen and then resets. I'm going to try a fresh install on an SSD first.

Remember to preserve D:\Calibration directory from the original HDD!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2573 on: September 24, 2019, 08:49:51 pm »

Remember to preserve D:\Calibration directory from the original HDD!
That is going to be a problem... Meanwhile I managed to re-install Windows XP on an SSD and start the oscilloscope software but I have found some issues:

1a) The factory calibration data is missing. It seems there is an extra partition on the original drive but Windows XP says it is not formatted; I guess the calibration data is stored here. I have not made any attempts to restore the partition.
1b) I ran the self calibration routine. Is this enough to have some basic calibration or are the factory calibrations mandatory?
2) The oscilloscope keeps clicking relays and the waveform update is really slow. A new trace every few seconds.
3) Channel 2 seems to have a problem with the attenuation. Channels 1, 3 and 4 seem consistent
4) The traces appear to be very noisy (full bandwidth) coupled 1MOhm from the aux output (1kHz 1V)
5) I tried to run the self tests from the service menu but it says failed immediately without a message

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #2574 on: September 24, 2019, 09:19:31 pm »
1a) The factory calibration data is missing. It seems there is an extra partition on the original drive but Windows XP says it is not formatted; I guess the calibration data is stored here. I have not made any attempts to restore the partition.

Try some file/partition recovery with your favourite tool of choice. The directory is normally hidden.

1b) I ran the self calibration routine. Is this enough to have some basic calibration or are the factory calibrations mandatory?

Yes and no. In theory there is, on some scopes, a backup of these files in some EEPROM memory on the acquisition board. See more in this great thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/lecroy-x-stream-calibration-data-and-storage/

2) The oscilloscope keeps clicking relays and the waveform update is really slow. A new trace every few seconds.
3) Channel 2 seems to have a problem with the attenuation. Channels 1, 3 and 4 seem consistent
4) The traces appear to be very noisy (full bandwidth) coupled 1MOhm from the aux output (1kHz 1V)

Without calibration files all bets are off - I had for example bad trigger threshold levels on one of my scopes when I forgot about Calibration.

In the service menu open the log viewer and inspect all the types of logs for errors, maybe some clue will be there. Maybe it is both messed up calibration and real HW faults.

5) I tried to run the self tests from the service menu but it says failed immediately without a message

I'm not aware of any tests in the service menu apart from FP tests - be very careful there anyway. AFAIR all self tests happen at app startup.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf