Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 776980 times)

Offline commie

• Frequent Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #275 on: August 19, 2015, 03:55:59 pm »
Possible pricing error here, £7.48 for Pamona 5510, but on back order until 5 September.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rf-connectors-kits/1685157

Yummie, nice find, I think I'll order a set of those, good quality make aswell. :-+

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2015, 08:57:21 pm »
In RS Australia the Pomona kit is going for AUD$116!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2015, 09:23:50 pm »
That is a good deal, 6x.00 here.
just won a hp 5335a for $44.44 plus about 30 i. S&h,  not sure if it works only has opt 40. :(
I only needed the display out of it.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #278 on: August 21, 2015, 04:37:36 am »
Last Friday I checked eBay and noticed that two different sellers had done big temporary price cuts on HP 6114a precision PSUs, and one was asking $75 + 19 shipping. I already have too many repair projects, but I was also intrigued at the chance to get one of these for a good price. So, I offered $55, and they accepted it.  It arrived yesterday.

The HP 6114A is in decent shape after some clean-up and body work. Now to put it back together and see how it works.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #279 on: August 21, 2015, 05:55:07 am »
HP 6114a precision PSU
Hmm... upper hemisphere of it's skull & face are gone... Looks like you walked away in the middle of brain surgery.  :o  :-DD

Seriously though, nice work.  :) Hope it goes well when you reassemble & give it ye olde power test.  :-+

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #280 on: August 21, 2015, 06:14:09 am »
Yeah, its a bit creepy, isn't it. I'm still mulling over whether to disassemble and clean the decade switches, though at this point, I'm leaning towards putting it together and power testing.

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #281 on: August 22, 2015, 10:46:35 pm »
Suggest taking the wheel switches apart and give them a good cleaning. When these switches are noisy, problems with the output can occur.
That entire area must be really clean as leakage paths can also result in problems.

Bernice

I'm still mulling over whether to disassemble and clean the decade switches, though at this point, I'm leaning towards putting it together and power testing.

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2015, 10:49:01 pm »
hewlett packard 3577B

20 Mhz Crystal on channel R.

Bernice

Offline unitedatoms

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #283 on: August 22, 2015, 10:54:23 pm »
From few years ago from ebay for $300. HP 3586A Selective Level Meter. Seller said that it is new never used, all its life spent in some storage of Canadian Navy.

On bad note: I saw it arriving in UPS truck (tall truck!) and 2 guys were unloading the box and it fell on the ground! Hate this guys
Interested in all design related projects no matter how simple, or complicated, slow going or fast, failures or successes

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #284 on: August 22, 2015, 11:11:41 pm »
 :scared:

Did the 3586A survive the shipping abuse?

Bernice

From few years ago from ebay for $300. HP 3586A Selective Level Meter. Seller said that it is new never used, all its life spent in some storage of Canadian Navy.

On bad note: I saw it arriving in UPS truck (tall truck!) and 2 guys were unloading the box and it fell on the ground! Hate this guys

Offline unitedatoms

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #285 on: August 22, 2015, 11:21:39 pm »
:scared:

Did the 3586A survive the shipping abuse?

Bernice

Yes it did survive. All functions work. The energy of hitting the ground was absorbed by one back corner zinc leg. It fell off with destroyed threading. So I am confident that rest of device is OK.

This overweight devices is part of the reason I want to use smaller lightweight benchtops. They are is just too heavy. Nice, accurate, but so heavy
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:23:20 pm by unitedatoms »
Interested in all design related projects no matter how simple, or complicated, slow going or fast, failures or successes

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #286 on: August 22, 2015, 11:50:02 pm »
Keithley 2000 - $100 - eBay (Some woman who had no history of test equipment purchases or sales, no idea where she got it, but aside from a yellowed front panel works perfectly.)

Tek TMO503 Three Slot Power Module with PG506 Cal Generator, TG501 Time Mark Generator and SG503 Leveled Sinewave Generator - $80 - eBay

The whole thing turned out to be in rough shape; the modules were all erratic, which turned out to be an issue with the power supply. I replaced a diode bridge and all the caps, added BNC connectors on the back and scrubbed the chassis clean. Works perfectly now.

I also disassembled all three modules and scrubbed them clean, reseated all the ICs and lubed all the pots and switches. The SG503 turned out to have two broken contacts on the cam switch, switch I found replacements for. I broke a BNC connector off the PG506's fast rise board, which I'm trying to find a replacement for; I also replaced all the 74-series ICs with new LS versions. As for the TG501, everything works perfect expect for the 2ns and 1ns modes. I'm currently trying to fix that.

Cosmetic wise, the modules look really beaten up; broken levers, chipped corners on the faceplates, etc. But considering these were all made in the mid-70's, still work and are all in-cal, I can live with it. :D

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #287 on: August 22, 2015, 11:54:40 pm »
I'm still mulling over whether to disassemble and clean the decade switches, though at this point, I'm leaning towards putting it together and power testing.
Suggest taking the wheel switches apart and give them a good cleaning. When these switches are noisy, problems with the output can occur.
That entire area must be really clean as leakage paths can also result in problems.

Bernice

Thanks.

It seems to be working Ok at first blush. I'm going to calibrate it and then check more closely. I'd rather not take the switches apart if I don't have to. They aren't made for disassembly, and even if they were, it brings a new risk of breaking something. I already have enough things to fix that don't work at all. :)

Offline Christe4nM

• Supporter
« Reply #288 on: August 23, 2015, 12:05:04 am »
After seeing a lot of scores here, some of which made me a bit jealous  ;) , I have scored some nice equipement yesterday.

At my uni they had some RF related test en measurement gear they want to get rid off. I've made them an offer and to my surprise they said 'Oke'  :-DD

Here is my score:

- HP 8590A Spectrum analyzer - 10kHz-1.5GHz
- HP 5315B Universal counter - up to 100MHz
- R&S AFG Function generator - 10mHz-20MHz
- R&S SMP02 Signal generator - 2GHz-20GHz

I've tested them all and as far as I can see they are all working as advertised and are within specs.

To make the story almost to good to believe...... I only paid €345,- for the lot.  :-DD

For all equipement I've found manuals except for the R&S AFG so if anyone has this as pdf, would you be so kind to share?
Those pictures are familiar. Does it happen to be HAN university of applied sciences in Arnhem, Netherlands?

If so: you lucky man. I thought of making an offer but they also said they already had a company buying the lot. That SA alone goes for more than twice on eBay than what you paid for the lot... <insert green face here> ;)

Still: congrats!

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #289 on: August 23, 2015, 02:19:24 am »
The R&S SMP02 is probably the most expensive unit in the score. Easily more than 2000$,if you find someone who needs it. US ebay has them listed between 5-17k$ and you get it for 350€, holy shit

I'm still looking for something comparable to realign the YIG input filters of some HP 8566s that I'm rebuilding. Wish I could get one for 350€

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #290 on: August 23, 2015, 07:05:01 am »

Bernice

Thanks.

It seems to be working Ok at first blush. I'm going to calibrate it and then check more closely. I'd rather not take the switches apart if I don't have to. They aren't made for disassembly, and even if they were, it brings a new risk of breaking something. I already have enough things to fix that don't work at all. :)

A few small adjustments and the 6114a is appropriately accurate on most settings. 10mv decade is a bit inconsistent and noisy though. Next step will be cleaning the board of any flux residue from when I removed and then reattached it. I'd really like a 10-turn pot for the low adjustment too, but that seems a tall order.

In other news, this weekends OMG buy is a EDC 521 programmable DC calibrator for $150 "from a working environment." The seller has some other EDC gear listed, though not at as low a price. It's all listed in the wrong category, and its kind of chance that I saw any of it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:07:18 am by eas »

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #291 on: August 23, 2015, 07:18:57 am »
Do check for possible residual paths that can be causing the observed noise. Use high purity (electronics grade or similar) Isopropyl alcohol. Lower purity solvents can leave residuals causing problems.

Been there done this, when those switches get noisy, the set low range accuracy suffers and the output can be noisy too. That 10 turn pot works when all is well. These are good precision power supplies.

Bernice

[/quote]

[/quote]

A few small adjustments and the 6114a is appropriately accurate on most settings. 10mv decade is a bit inconsistent and noisy though. Next step will be cleaning the board of any flux residue from when I removed and then reattached it. I'd really like a 10-turn pot for the low adjustment too, but that seems a tall order.

In other news, this weekends OMG buy is a EDC 521 programmable DC calibrator for $150 "from a working environment." The seller has some other EDC gear listed, though not at as low a price. It's all listed in the wrong category, and its kind of chance that I saw any of it.
[/quote]

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2015, 05:38:07 pm »

Do check for possible residual paths that can be causing the observed noise. Use high purity (electronics grade or similar) Isopropyl alcohol. Lower purity solvents can leave residuals causing problems.

Been there done this, when those switches get noisy, the set low range accuracy suffers and the output can be noisy too. That 10 turn pot works when all is well. These are good precision power supplies.

Bernice
I'll try cleaning it up. I know there was a drip of RMA flux that ran further than I'd like, but I forgot about it in my drive to actually get the thing powered up. Thanks for the benefit of your experience, without it, I'd probably put this supply in the good enough for now category.

As for the pot, I meant finding a small 10-turn 20 ohm precision pot to replace the small pot on the >=mv adjustment was probably too much to hope for. If you have a source though...

I plan to replace the current pot with a 10 turn, but I don't anticipate that will be a problem, and I've already ordered a black kilo turn counting knob for the upgrade.

Looks like someone gobbled up the EDC 1030 the seller had listed for $400. I guess I'm not surprised that one went next. I considered it, briefly, but an AC and/or higher DC standard is worth more to me than covering the 1000v DC range.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:40:31 pm by eas »

Offline blackbird

• Regular Contributor
  • Ooohhhh, what does this button do???
Re: List your test equipment &quot;scores&quot; here!
« Reply #293 on: August 23, 2015, 06:31:47 pm »
Those pictures are familiar. Does it happen to be HAN university of applied sciences in Arnhem, Netherlands?

If so: you lucky man. I thought of making an offer but they also said they already had a company buying the lot. That SA alone goes for more than twice on eBay than what you paid for the lot... <insert green face here> ;)

Still: congrats!

:-+

Yes, I bought it from the HAN ;) Funny how they refered to one of their students as 'a company'  :-DD

Offline blackbird

• Regular Contributor
  • Ooohhhh, what does this button do???
« Reply #294 on: August 23, 2015, 06:35:45 pm »
The R&S SMP02 is probably the most expensive unit in the score. Easily more than 2000$,if you find someone who needs it. US ebay has them listed between 5-17k$ and you get it for 350€, holy shit

I'm still looking for something comparable to realign the YIG input filters of some HP 8566s that I'm rebuilding. Wish I could get one for 350€

I offered just €100 for the SMP02 which they accepted.  :-DD The whole lot was just €350 in total.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2015, 07:03:31 pm »
Dunno if it is a score yet: A Yokogawa DL1740 4 channel 500MHz scope with some problems. Didn't received it yet but it could become my second worst equipment buy if I can't fix it. I also think I paid too much for it ($300) but I couldn't help myself.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2015, 07:41:47 pm »
That's an interesting looking scope.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #297 on: August 23, 2015, 08:21:31 pm »
That could be very useable, as it is compact. Just to tall for my bench.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline ketil b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #298 on: August 23, 2015, 10:07:34 pm »
Hi

Just got a Advantest R6243 SMU for $240. It looks like it has an over heating problem. Just have to wait for it to get on a container from Japan.

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #299 on: August 23, 2015, 11:19:37 pm »
I got this HP8116A function/pulse generator for a 230$ , yesterday cleaned up and seems to be work fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf