Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 782499 times)

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #350 on: September 11, 2015, 05:48:04 pm »
NEW Fluke 28II on eBay - $200.00 US with free freight.  :-+

Like an 87V with gigantic balls!

Offline TorqueRanger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #351 on: September 11, 2015, 06:57:14 pm »
I got a Brand New  Rigol DS1054Z for the Price of FREE...
Will post pics if necessary

:wtf:
I got a Brand New  Rigol DS1054Z for the Price of FREE...
How did you manage that?

I entered a Giveway a while back and got a E-mail stating I won and a couple days later I got my scope .. Yay me lol

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #352 on: September 11, 2015, 09:05:36 pm »
I will end up selling my cs-152 current falibrator+ ancient manual. It is just way to big, 4U takes up my whole shelf.
Bummer :(.

I'm already having trouble making space for my three rack-mount instruments (HP 6332b PSU/Load, Phillips PM5192 Func Gen, and EDC 521). The HP745 is going to put me over the top. I'm sure I'll end up selling most of them, but that was kind of the plan in the first place. I'll use the EDC 521 and HP745a to help calibrate and demonstrate the Keithley 197a's I'm refurbishing and then sell the DMMs and AC calibrator off.

The EDC 521 I'll probably hold on to, at least until I stumble across a deal on something smaller with equal or better specs.  Either that, or I may try and implement a similar design using more modern components. If I do, I'll use the EDC to validate it, then find another good home for it.

I'm not sure what someone would do with 4 x HP 745's, but I do appreciate the collection of gear. Hopefully it works well for you.
If all are in working shape, I suppose its possible he used them as stable precision AC power supplies for other projects. Someone selling a Fluke 5200 recently indicated that's how they used it. With my own limited experience, I can't guess what those projects would be though.

NEW Fluke 28II on eBay - $200.00 US with free freight.  :-+

Like an 87V with gigantic balls!

I really don't get why people desire to own trucks and tools with any genitalia, much less genitalia of unusual size...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:17:41 pm by eas »

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #353 on: September 11, 2015, 09:31:04 pm »
After fighting off the urge the urge to step up from a DMMCheck+, I succumbed when I found a deal on an EDC 521.

The anticipation of the 521 unlocked a new urge, the urge to have a way to check multiple points on multiple AC voltage ranges. And now, for just $29.90 + more than twice that in shipping, I will soon have 65 pounds of vintage AC calibration equipment.

If I'm lucky, this compulsion ends with this 44-year-old HP 745a, and without dropping it on my foot and taking a detour to the hospital along the way.

FFS, the seller just cancelled my order for vague reasons.

We're sorry to let you know that [the seller] canceled your order and mentioned the reason as I'm out of stock or can't fulfill the order for another reason.

Update: I wrote the seller to see what happened. He replied that once he had it packed well, the parcel weighed 77lbs and that neither FedEx nor USPS would deliver it. I'm going to see if delivering it to a business address (my rented mailbox) will work.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:46:17 am by eas »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #354 on: September 12, 2015, 03:10:15 pm »
Lets hope so..
Keep us posted.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline TorqueRanger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #355 on: September 12, 2015, 07:36:18 pm »
After fighting off the urge the urge to step up from a DMMCheck+, I succumbed when I found a deal on an EDC 521.

The anticipation of the 521 unlocked a new urge, the urge to have a way to check multiple points on multiple AC voltage ranges. And now, for just $29.90 + more than twice that in shipping, I will soon have 65 pounds of vintage AC calibration equipment.

If I'm lucky, this compulsion ends with this 44-year-old HP 745a, and without dropping it on my foot and taking a detour to the hospital along the way.

We're sorry to let you know that [the seller] canceled your order and mentioned the reason as I'm out of stock or can't fulfill the order for another reason.

Update: I wrote the seller to see what happened. He replied that once he had it packed well, the parcel weighed 77lbs and that neither FedEx nor USPS would deliver it. I'm going to see if delivering it to a business address (my rented mailbox) will work.
Good luck cause he is lying to you straight up.. I know cause I build offroad trucks and I have no problems sending giant offroad tires threw the mail or an offroad parts and they weight alot more than 77lbs ..

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #356 on: September 12, 2015, 09:12:18 pm »

Good luck cause he is lying to you straight up.. I know cause I build offroad trucks and I have no problems sending giant offroad tires threw the mail or an offroad parts and they weight alot more than 77lbs ..

Perhaps, but there are other possible explanations. I'm inclined to cut the seller some slack, particularly since others in this thread have had good experiences dealing with him. Did you consider any of that before calling someone who isn't around to defend themselves a straight-up liar?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:16:21 pm by eas »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #357 on: September 13, 2015, 08:00:13 am »

Sounds a bit fishy to me.  I just shipped an old HP spec an, a DMM and an attenuator home from CA (I really need to stay away from the TRW swap meet!); by the time it was all boxed up it was 27 x 27 x 17" and weighed 107 lbs.  FedEx ground was quite happy to ship it, and whacked me about $90 to do so.  They arrived unscathed in about five days.

Edit to add: dropped off at a FedEx location in CA and shipped to my home (residential) address.

-Pat
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:05:20 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #358 on: September 13, 2015, 12:59:29 pm »

Sounds a bit fishy to me.  I just shipped an old HP spec an, a DMM and an attenuator home from CA (I really need to stay away from the TRW swap meet!); by the time it was all boxed up it was 27 x 27 x 17" and weighed 107 lbs.  FedEx ground was quite happy to ship it, and whacked me about $90 to do so.  They arrived unscathed in about five days.

Edit to add: dropped off at a FedEx location in CA and shipped to my home (residential) address.

-Pat
TRW can become an expensive habit.
Haven't been in decades.........
I need to go again.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline TorqueRanger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #359 on: September 13, 2015, 01:11:08 pm »

Perhaps, but there are other possible explanations. I'm inclined to cut the seller some slack, particularly since others in this thread have had good experiences dealing with him. Did you consider any of that before calling someone who isn't around to defend themselves a straight-up liar?
I mean no disrespect but if I get motors,trans ,and 4 44" Boggers that there weight and size make the test equipment look small and they deliver it right to my house no problems then something is wrong and is not being translated to you ... Oh how do you think TireRack.Com  get the tires tor you ???? Crap my buddy order a Ford 9" with a third member to his house for his CJ-5 Rock Crawler ..

Here is his truck at Paragon before it closed

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2015, 03:28:40 pm »
Possible pricing error here, £7.48 for Pamona 5510, but on back order until 5 September.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rf-connectors-kits/1685157

Delighted to report that the three of these that I ordered finally arrived today, and that I was charged the quoted price. Indeed, the price remains the same online, but they're now backordered to 20 Nov 2015.

Offline TorqueRanger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2015, 04:58:09 pm »

Oh I am not sure if this helps you out at all.. But Fastenal does store to store shipping for big and heavy items . So you might want to check them out .. Hope it helps

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #362 on: September 17, 2015, 05:17:35 pm »
We had an RF equipment division of HP locally for many years. Many of my fellow Engineers worked there. When they closed it down and consolidated its operations to the Bay Area, they "let go" a bunch of test equipment including products they had manufactured there. One of my friends snagged a few things, and gave me and my techie son an HP 8921A Cell Site Test Set. Here's a photo I found:

1 GHz all-in-one integrated instrument: Scope, spectrum analyzer, signal generator w/ sweep, the works. Refurb'd today they cost $5K, new I think they were in the $30K range.

For free.

And it works.

We've used it a lot, especially for building and tuning amateur radio antenna traps made from coax and PVC pipe.

Value vs. cost ratio will be hard to beat!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:20:40 pm by IDEngineer »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #363 on: September 17, 2015, 07:07:51 pm »
We had an RF equipment division of HP locally for many years. Many of my fellow Engineers worked there. When they closed it down and consolidated its operations to the Bay Area, they "let go" a bunch of test equipment including products they had manufactured there. One of my friends snagged a few things, and gave me and my techie son an HP 8921A Cell Site Test Set. Here's a photo I found:
For free.

And it works. We've used it a lot, especially for building and tuning amateur radio antenna traps made from coax and PVC pipe. Value vs. cost ratio will be hard to beat!

Wow! I wish I had one.  :(

But for today, I just got this delivered - an HP 3457A DMM. Works very well, but needs the usual TLC cleanup, and removal of old gooey cal sticker goop.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline TorqueRanger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #364 on: September 17, 2015, 07:14:52 pm »
For free.

And it works. We've used it a lot, especially for building and tuning amateur radio antenna traps made from coax and PVC pipe. Value vs. cost ratio will be hard to beat!

Wow! I wish I had one.  :(

But for today, I just got this delivered - an HP 3457A DMM. Works very well, but needs the usual TLC cleanup, and removal of old gooey cal sticker goop.
Pretty cool and how much did that cost you??

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #365 on: September 17, 2015, 07:15:02 pm »

1 GHz all-in-one integrated instrument: Scope, spectrum analyzer, signal generator w/ sweep, the works. Refurb'd today they cost $5K, new I think they were in the $30K range.

For free.

And it works.

We've used it a lot, especially for building and tuning amateur radio antenna traps made from coax and PVC pipe.

Value vs. cost ratio will be hard to beat!

Those are nice, and you got a better deal than I got on my IFR FM/AM 1000S.
I paid a hundred dollars for the IFR not working and fixed it for an additional $280.00 Lots of parts on E-Bay but they are noit cheap.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #366 on: September 17, 2015, 10:38:57 pm »

Nice score, looks to be in pretty good condition! Just make sure you change the AC inlet filter ASAP, the ones in the 3457A's are known to blow up in flames, expelling really smelly gas.

Mine shot flames 6 inches onto a freshly painted wall...and I swear I can still smell a hint of it a few months on.  :-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2015, 10:39:22 pm »
Pretty cool and how much did that cost you??

I gave $182 for that. It's a pretty nice DMM and available most of the time on Ebay.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2015, 10:40:23 pm »
Nice score, looks to be in pretty good condition! Just make sure you change the AC inlet filter ASAP, the ones in the 3457A's are known to blow up in flames, expelling really smelly gas.

Mine shot flames 6 inches onto a freshly painted wall...and I swear I can still smell a hint of it a few months on.  :-DD

Oh wow - is there a replacement aftermarket one that you can recommend?

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2015, 10:50:14 pm »
Oh wow - is there a replacement aftermarket one that you can recommend?

Any standard filtered one will do, just make sure you get the ones with the fast-on connectors IIRC. You can find some more details in this thread.

I think most of the failures was because they lived cosy lives on 100V AC, before being subject to the full wrath of 230V mains. Ah well, it's only a <$10 replacement so you might as well do it just to be on the safe side, and perhaps it's also a chance for you to replace the backup battery inside.

Offline R_G_B_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2015, 02:23:27 pm »
Don't you guys think that by listing your test equipment scores you are unintentionally driving up the cost of used test equipment?

My apologies if I'm sounding sinicle I have notice the price of test equipment go quite a bit. This is a very popular forum the clue is in this part.

R_G_B
R_G_B

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2015, 02:28:49 pm »
Don't you guys think that by listing your test equipment scores you are unintentionally driving up the cost of used test equipment?

My apologies if I'm sounding sinicle I have notice the price of test equipment go quite a bit. This is a very popular forum the clue is in this part.

R_G_B

I've seen that happen with hi-end vintage hi-fi stereo equipment, mostly from the 70s. One could often fine these at good prices on E-bay but as the 'hobby' got more and more exposure (they made some great equipment in that era, and not much other electronics toys to buy with discretionary money) the prices just exploded over time.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2015, 02:35:36 pm »

R_G_B

it happens with amateur radio gear all the time.
I have done several Rehab threads over on a popular amateur radio forum and you could see the price of the gear go up by as much as 20% on E-Bay.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline rastro

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #373 on: September 19, 2015, 08:23:17 pm »

R_G_B

I have done several Rehab threads over on a popular amateur radio forum and you could see the price of the gear go up by as much as 20% on E-Bay.
I'll have to remember that next time I get ready to sell something... ;D

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #374 on: September 19, 2015, 09:07:25 pm »

R_G_B

I'll have to remember that next time I get ready to sell something... ;D
Do a teardown of it before you sell it.  :D
Sue AF6LJ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf