Author Topic: Logic analyzer to make a board  (Read 724 times)

Offline amadeokTopic starter

• Contributor
Logic analyzer to make a board
« on: April 15, 2021, 07:44:05 am »
Hello
I was thinking on trying to design a custom pcb controller board to drive eink displays based on other projects i've seen. That would probably also involve programming fpgas, and devices such as the lt1945    , diodes, ect . Something similar to this https://github.com/vroland/epdiy/blob/master/hardware/epaper-breakout/schematic.pdf
I'm on a tight budget and i need something that can handle at least 60mhz, they are selling la1016 logic analyzers on aliexpress for 50€ but i couldn't find any oscilloscope at that price that can actually handle that frequency.
So i was wondering if a logic analyzer makes sense for this or if an oscilloscope would be a must.
thanks
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 07:59:29 am by amadeok »

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
Re: Logic analyzer to make a board
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 09:12:17 am »
[..]handle at least 60mhz [..]50€[..]

I am afraid they don't match, however I have a Zeroplus LAP-C 16032 logic analyser, it's a 16 channels @  100 MSa/s LA, the bandwidth is 100Mhz, using 16 channels works up to 10Mhz which is ok for my 1Mhz digital signals (SPI + glue logic, but also a couple of 8 parallel bus devices), paid 100 euro for it, it's not too bad.

I haven't hacked it yet, I don't know if it also works on Linux somehow, I don't know about its USB protocol, I am using its program on a Windows laptop, it works just fine.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline KrudyZ

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Logic analyzer to make a board
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 04:22:19 pm »
If you will be using an FPGA then you can skip the logic analyzer as you can add it internally. In any case logic errors can and should be caught in simulation rather than in hardware.
For external stuff a scope is MUCH more useful. However to catch the tough problems, which for digital design are signal and power integrity, you would need a much faster scope than your clock frequency.
If the design is not complex with clean wiring and ground returns, then you might just need a meter to check for opens and shorts.
I suggest to simply get started with the FPGA design, since you can do this without shelling out any money by running the free tools and simulation.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf