Author Topic: Searching for a HP 1630 HP 1631 inverse assembler files.  (Read 20800 times)

Offline mmcgraw74

• Regular Contributor
Re: Searching for a HP 1630 HP 1631 inverse assembler files.
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2019, 11:58:49 am »
I believe the HP 1630 tape file is slightly different than the GPIB file.  Certainly the "Header" is different.
Yes, the formats are different.  There's clearly another layer of encapsulation in the tape files.

What I'm after is the yummy insides of any of these files, which is the data starting with the XX to the end of that data as indicated by the length field (immediately following the XX).  That long binary string is the actual inverse assembler and can be pushed directly from the PC to the analyzer via the GPIB port in the same way as a "learn string".  There's no tape, disk, or other peripheral emulation needed.

If I understand, I think you're trying to take a more indirect route of emulating a tape drive on HP-IL, putting the files in the emulator in the right format, and letting the analyzer initiate the load.

Yes, I have a National Instruments USB to GPIB adapter that I have used to capture the print output from my HP 1630A, but it does not work with the HPDISK software (unsupported) as a GPIB drive emulator.  My 1630A ROMs only support HP-IL tape as a storage device to save configurations or load IA files.

The PIL-BOX ilper utility is able to emulate an HP-IL tape drive, but the HP 1630A only supports one tape drive at a time - and the IA tape COPYFILE utility only copies files to other tapes on the same tape drive.

So I have captured (with the PIL-BOX 'scope') each of the IA file contents during a copy of the entire IA file to another tape.  Those IA file captures are on my zip file - edited from the PIL-BOX captures and converted from ASCII Hex characters to binary data files. 

Since each of those file captures includes the entire file including the header - I'm hoping to just use the lifput utility to poke those files into the PIL-BOX LIF contents of an emulated tape, along with editing in the filename into the FILEX directory file - and see if I can use the result in my HP 1630A.

If it works - I think anyone with the 1630A or 1630D with the "tape" ROMs will be able to use a PIL-BOX to load their IA files, instead of having to buy (and possibly fix) an HP GPIB floppy drive AND upgrade their ROMs to the GPIB storage version.

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2019, 03:30:47 pm »
Yes, I have a National Instruments USB to GPIB adapter that I have used to capture the print output from my HP 1630A, but it does not work with the HPDISK software (unsupported) as a GPIB drive emulator.  My 1630A ROMs only support HP-IL tape as a storage device to save configurations or load IA files.

You can load IAs and save/restore configurations via the GPIB port, provided the 1630A's dip switches are set for external GPIB controller (positions 7 8 set to 0 1),   And *without* HPDISK or other emulation.  In this mode the 1630A is just another GPIB instrument which can accept and reply to GPIB commands.  For example, the "ID" command will return the string "HP1630A".

The undocumented "XX" command loads IAs is just like any other GPIB command.  "TC" (transmit configuration) returns the configuration of the unit.  And "RC" (receive configuration) loads a configuration (as was returned by TC).

Perhaps you already know all this and you're just interested in getting HP-IL storage working.  If so, my apologies.  If not, the operations you want can be done without the additional, and complicated, layer of storage emulation.

Offline mmcgraw74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2019, 06:41:36 pm »

You can load IAs and save/restore configurations via the GPIB port, provided the 1630A's dip switches are set for external GPIB controller (positions 7 8 set to 0 1),   And *without* HPDISK or other emulation.  In this mode the 1630A is just another GPIB instrument which can accept and reply to GPIB commands.  For example, the "ID" command will return the string "HP1630A".

The undocumented "XX" command loads IAs is just like any other GPIB command.  "TC" (transmit configuration) returns the configuration of the unit.  And "RC" (receive configuration) loads a configuration (as was returned by TC).

Perhaps you already know all this and you're just interested in getting HP-IL storage working.  If so, my apologies.  If not, the operations you want can be done without the additional, and complicated, layer of storage emulation.

Thanks for the tip.

I've just started using the National Instrument USB to GPIB adapter with a simple capture utility. 

I haven't experimented with the utilities - or tried to change my 1630A to use an external controller.

I think I'll try that command.

Thanks!

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2020, 11:35:35 am »
I'm an utter noob here, both to this forum and to HP analyzers (I'm a Tek refugee), but I wonder if I could ask a question.

This manual from Natsemi http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/components/national/_appNotes/AN-0688.pdf specifically mentions the "HP 10391A Inverse Assembler Development Package", i.e. complete with the -A suffix rather than identifying it by an unqualified number.

I find myself wondering whether that indicates that the -A and -B variants of the software existed simultaneously, and whether the -A variant explicitly supported the 1630 as well as the 1650 while the -B was the one that was used for the 1650 and later instruments.

Mark Morgan Lloyd

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2020, 09:09:02 pm »
I'm an utter noob here, both to this forum and to HP analyzers (I'm a Tek refugee), but I wonder if I could ask a question.

This manual from Natsemi http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/components/national/_appNotes/AN-0688.pdf specifically mentions the "HP 10391A Inverse Assembler Development Package", i.e. complete with the -A suffix rather than identifying it by an unqualified number.

I find myself wondering whether that indicates that the -A and -B variants of the software existed simultaneously, and whether the -A variant explicitly supported the 1630 as well as the 1650 while the -B was the one that was used for the 1650 and later instruments.

Mark Morgan Lloyd
That datasheet only refers to the 165x and 165xx analyzers, so their reference to 10391A I would expect is also limited to those models.

You've piqued my curiosity on this again, and I was able to find the first mention of the 10391A in the 1988 HP catalog.  Below is what it has to say.  There's no mention of compatibility with the 163x series even though the 163x is included in the same section.

I'll put forth again my unsubstantiated theory that the IA development package for the 163x series was only used internally at HP, and also probably at HP developer partners.

Further diligent digging by users in this thread have finally worked out a method to produce IAs for the 163x, without access to the original package, whatever it was called.

Trove of catalogs here:

http://hparchive.com/hp_catalogs

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2020, 09:43:04 pm »
That datasheet only refers to the 165x and 165xx analyzers, so their reference to 10391A I would expect is also limited to those models.

Agreed, but the -B suffix is also described as being applicable to the 165x and later. I presume that the -A was in effect the older 10391 (no suffix).

You've piqued my curiosity on this again, and I was able to find the first mention of the 10391A in the 1988 HP catalog.  Below is what it has to say.  There's no mention of compatibility with the 163x series even though the 163x is included in the same section.

Yes, I've also found the same text in the 1990 catalogue.

I'll put forth again my unsubstantiated theory that the IA development package for the 163x series was only used internally at HP, and also probably at HP developer partners.

Which might possibly include Natsemi.

Further diligent digging by users in this thread have finally worked out a method to produce IAs for the 163x, without access to the original package, whatever it was called.

Which I'm very much looking forward to playing with.

Trove of catalogs here:

http://hparchive.com/hp_catalogs

I've also found this today http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/bits/HP/1650/hp_1650/dos_utils.tar.gz which contains a 1650 access program written in Pascal.

MarkMLl

Offline garrettm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2022, 03:05:46 pm »
For anyone who is still interested in acquiring inverse assembler files for the HP 1630 and 1631 logic analyzers, I have extracted the contents of two inv. asm disks that came with my HP 8175A for the 1630G and 1631D LAs.

The files have been converted from LIF to DOS format using the hpdir tool provided by hp9845.net.

Code: [Select]
I8088Ii
I8086Ii
I80286Ii
I80188Ii
I80188IEi
I80186Ii
I80186IEi
I6809Pi
I6809Ii
I6809Ic
I6809EPi
I6800Pi
I6800Ii
I68008Pi
I68008Ii
I68000P8i
I68000P3i
I68000I8i
I68000I3i

The original disks have been archived in the following thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-computing/archiving-lif-formatted-3-5-inch-disk/msg4039306/#msg4039306

The following users thanked this post: harrimansat

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2022, 05:16:32 pm »
Thanks for that. I was trying to work through the documentation for connecting a 1630 to an 8088 (actually a V20) a few days ago and without some form of detail about how the instrument channels were mapped to the target it was... hard work.

MarkMLl

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2022, 06:42:49 pm »
I made a quick pass at unassembling the inverse assembler files posted in the "HP163xx Logic Analyzer Inv ASM.zip" collection above.

Attached below is what I got. I haven't tried feeding these source files back through 10391B yet to double check that it would produce identical inverse assembler binary results.

I68000I3i.S
I68000I8i.S
I68000P3i.S
I68000P8i.S
I68008Ii.S
I68008Pi.S
I6800Ii.S
I6800Pi.S
I6809EPi.S
I6809Ii.S
I6809Pi.S
I80186IEi.S