Author Topic: Looking for a good LCR meter under $300  (Read 1377 times)

Offline adauphinTopic starter

• Supporter
Looking for a good LCR meter under $300
« on: January 23, 2019, 11:59:40 am »
Just curious if the DE-5000 is still a nice beginner LCR meter for the price. I would like to measure speaker inductor coils, resistors, etc and I'm after accuracy as I will need to wind down inductors.

For the price the DE5000 seems to fit the bill, but not sure what's out there that's worth spending $$ on.

Any input appreciated.

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
Re: Looking for a good LCR meter under $300
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 02:24:20 pm »
Hi,

You may have a look at ebay for XJW01 (2017 or better 2018 version).
A very precise meter, easy to use and very good value for Your money.
I´d suggest to buy the offers including the Kelvin Clips, Kelvin-Tweezer and foldable stand for ~80-90€.

regards
Calvin
..... it builds character!

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, Jacon

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:34:37 pm »
Just curious if the DE-5000 is still a nice beginner LCR meter for the price. I would like to measure speaker inductor coils, resistors, etc and I'm after accuracy as I will need to wind down inductors.

For the price the DE5000 seems to fit the bill, but not sure what's out there that's worth spending $$ on.

Any input appreciated.

Having owned the DE-5000 for several years now, it will easily handle what you mention and still is one of the value leaders. It has precise selectable frequencies for testing (100Hz, 120Hz, 1kHz, 10kHz, 100kHz) and has very good precision and accuracy. While not common, the 100kHz setting is really useful when diagnosing capacitors in a switching supply and reading low value inductors.

Additionally, I like that the manual breaks down the exact accuracy and precision for all of the combinations of range, frequency, measurement type; unlike the no-name instruments. This is really useful for knowing your error bars on any measurement you make.

The only other value leader are the $20 transistor component testers. They are accurate enough for most hobbyists, though you don't necessarily know HOW accurate. They are also cheap as dirt (most run well less than $20 now) and provide a number of extra functions.

I actually have both and use each in specific situations.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:37:02 pm by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline adauphinTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 10:12:52 pm »
Thank you for the replies.

This is what I went with:

DE-5000 Handheld LCR Meter with accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S298KJO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SyosCbDRVXEXC

Any other options/accessories you feel I could use, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks again.

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 08:45:50 am »
Depending on the level of interest, you could google for "DE-5000 kelvin clips" (or similar), quite a few hobby projects for making such with one of those accessory boxes, clips, BNC connectors (or without connectors).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf