Author Topic: Looking for a replacement general purpose oscilloscope for home use  (Read 11178 times)

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a replacement general purpose oscilloscope for home use
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2024, 02:52:32 pm »
Joe, you should know better than asking this on here :o  :horse:  :box:  :rant:

Anyway, since you have a LeCroy, and maybe LeCroy Active Probes? Consider a replacement DSO/MSO that supports those expensive Active Probes or offers an adapter for such!!

Siglent has the LPA10 adapter for LeCroy active probes apparently that works with their SDS6000A and the 6000 has a Analysis Bundle Offer which includes some nice features/options.

If you decide to go Siglent's route, get Rob working for you ;)

And don't forget the EEVblog discount at Saelig :-+

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Antonio90

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2024, 03:05:30 pm »
Joe, you should know better than asking this on here :o  :horse:  :box:  :rant:

Anyway, since you have a LeCroy, and maybe LeCroy Active Probes? Consider a replacement DSO/MSO that supports those expensive Active Probes or offers an adapter for such!!

Siglent has the LPA10 adapter for LeCroy active probes apparently that works with their SDS6000A and the 6000 has a Analysis Bundle Offer which includes some nice features/options.

If you decide to go Siglent's route, get Rob working for you ;)

And don't forget the EEVblog discount at Saelig :-+

Best,
:-DD Well, for good or for ill (probably for good) there aren't that many of us that can talk about scopes with the features requested. I myself haven't even touched any piece of TE sold for over 3K in the last 15 years. I think the question is safe, and I'm actually quite curious. Hoping Joe gets a few on loan and we, in turn, get a few interesting videos.  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2024, 03:18:48 pm »
I've never heard of anybody refusing a test drive...for a car anyway. 😉

Scope manufacturers might have reservations in this particular case, if they happen to know how Joe test-drives multimeters.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2024, 03:20:14 pm »
eblastler? The grill starter?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 03:22:07 pm by Grandchuck »

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2024, 03:24:19 pm »
...the MHO3 has LAN with 1 Gb/s. I use this LAN. I had quite a few problems with the USB connection. The manual does not say how to do this. Finally I found that you have to use the USB-C socket, but that not every cable works.
Thanks for this bit of info.  If you have a running blog where you are posting about your experience with this scope, please provide a link. 

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2024, 03:34:25 pm »

Yes, I do have a few different probes and adapters.  I listed the active probes here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/12-ghz-active-probe-project/msg4988716/#msg4988716

I use these with the old WaveMaster and have no plans to retire that scope anytime soon.  Unlike the WavePro 7300a mentioned, the WaveMaster is 50ohm only, really for high speed (at the time) use.   So, really no need to worry about their proprietary interface.  This is why I specifically called out the standard BNC inputs. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2024, 03:44:25 pm »

Looking to replace my general purpose scope with something more modern.  After seeing the post:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/magnova-oscilloscope/   I thought I would toss out what I am looking for.

A few problem with my LeCroy is the poor quality mechanical packaging...

It's probably not what you are looking for, but know that your old Lecroy can probably be upgraded (CPU / RAM / Win7 / Screen / TouchScreen / Firmware). In the end, most of the PC parts are quite standard.

I'm in the middle of that process on a Lecroy WaveRunner 6100 and a WavePro 7300a. It's a lot of fiddling but not super expensive.

Normally I would say this is a valid point.  However, the scope I have is old.  I got it used.  It was damaged when I received it.  Factory attempted repairs but were not successful.   Problem resides in the acquisition system, not the PC.  I suspect the cause was two fold.  First, the case design is poor and allows for flexing of the boards.  Then it runs hot.  So the scope had a short life.   My attempts to repair it were somewhat successful.  I've used it for my daily driver for 8 years or so.  But it is starting to act up again and it's not the PC.   

I thought about getting another used, but newer version of the same scope and keeping this thing for parts.  You can find them under 3, in "working" condition with a 5-day warranty.   Problem is, I do not know if they addressed any of the mechanical issues with the newer packaging.  Looking at photos, I have my doubts. 

Rather than dealing with used, I'm looking at getting my second brand new scope in my entire life. 

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2024, 04:09:24 pm »
I've never heard of anybody refusing a test drive...for a car anyway. 😉

Scope manufacturers might have reservations in this particular case, if they happen to know how Joe test-drives multimeters.  ;)

eblastler? The grill starter?

You guys... :-DD :-DD 

Lets be fair,  while I did actually hit my 5GHz WaveMaster with the grill starter, I knew what I was doing.   

So yeah, maybe I'm not the typical user but consider I've been working as a EE for 40years and I have yet  to damage a scope's front end.   I'm a bit surprised by that myself....

I have seen people damage them on a frequent basis at work.  We do a fair bit with high voltages which certainly increases the risks. 

I recently did look at SJL's new scope.  Did a bit more than unbox it and give it a five gold star review.   
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/pocket-sized-6-ghz-1-tss-et-scope/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 04:14:21 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, ebastler, ch_scr, Grandchuck, KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2024, 05:37:06 pm »
Looking at the LeCroy HDO6054B-L and noticed they use Windows 10.   I normally wouldn't care but recently I upgraded my modem at home.  No big deal you would think.   Plugged the modem into my desktop PC, set the thing up.  Then connected it on the WAN and went to activate it. They required a direct connection to do this.  As soon as the PC I was using had direct internet connection, the PC was locked.  Locked meaning I could not even bring up task manager.   This went on for basically the entire day while Microsoft had their way with a computer that had not been touched in a few years..   

I run DDWRT and normally all the Windows PC sit behind it.  I wrote some software to parse the Wireshark files and create scripts for DDWRT that basically blocks all traffic to/from Microsoft.   This has allowed me to actually use the PCs.    So, this PC that I used to get the modem setup is only used to stream data to the TV set.   A few days go by and I had some time to relax and watch some TV.  I turn on the PC and Microsoft starts their next updates.  I had forgot to unplug the direct connection.   About a half hour goes by and they are done.  There went the time I was going to relax.   

So I wonder if I had a scope running 10, could I actually ever use it?  Would it be like my PC connected to the TV and spend more time upgrading than actually doing what it's intended use is?   The scope will be on the LAN and could possibly have access to the internet.  Last thing I want it MS messing with my test equipment!   

Not finding much out there.  Basically unboxing.  I do like that larger display.   Too bad LeCroy doesn't hang out here.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 05:52:05 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Grandchuck

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2024, 06:29:58 pm »
So I wonder if I had a scope running 10, could I actually ever use it?  Would it be like my PC connected to the TV and spend more time upgrading than actually doing what it's intended use is?   The scope will be on the LAN and could possibly have access to the internet.  Last thing I want it MS messing with my test equipment!   

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

Skip ahead to the regedit part.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: martinot

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2024, 07:38:30 pm »
Last thing I want it MS messing with my test equipment!   
FYI, Siglent gear uses Linux based OS.

I can certainly arrange for loaners to assess.
We don't have the SDS7000A models but do have a SDS6204A which we can give any feedback if you require any info.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2024, 08:06:25 pm »
This is where a PC based scope might be best for Joe's needs but the 15.6" display 3 GHz 12bit SDS7304A is some $20k ...

For a general purpose scope, I want something standalone.   I looked at the 7000 series.  It's a bit overkill and I would want many of the options added on.  Didn't total it up but I'm guessing 30 when it's all said and done.  After their business practice of going after their  customers and then playing with that Arb, I was turned off on the brand.   

I'll look around and see if I can find a decent review where someone actually shows something beyond taking it out of the box and showing the probes ....    I'll get back to you with any questions.

They have an option bundle promo until June 30th, and the options in the bundle are free. I dunno if it's all of them or not. I'm pretty sure you could get a loaner of that scope before you purchase to try it out.
https://siglentna.com/news-article/siglent-sds7000a-introduction-promotion/
Not all by quite some margin as many of the advanced analysis options and compliance tests are not in the promo.
SDS7000A-1GPTS
SDS7000A-EJ
SDS7000A-USB2
SDS7000A-CT-USB2
SDS7000A-CT-100BASE-T
SDS7000A-CT-1000BASE-T
SDS7000A-CT-100BASE-T1
SDS7000A-CT-1000BASE-T1
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2024, 08:15:17 pm »

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

Skip ahead to the regedit part.

Article was from 2022 and from my experience, MS does like to change things up.  From the article you linked:

If you experience more problems than benefits during updates, or if you have a good reason to use a device without updates, depending on your edition of Windows 10, you can disable automatic updates using the Settings app or permanently with Group Policy and Registry.

On Windows 10 Pro, the Local Group Policy Editor includes policies to permanently disable automatic updates or change the update settings to choose when patches should be installed on the device.

Now I don't know what version of Windows is supplied in which products, or if MS has changed how the registry works.  This is why I went the route of blocking ALL Microsoft traffic.  The last time I had a similar experience to my modem update, MS upgraded my PC and I noticed more traffic.  Running Wireshark for a few days, I noticed they had added a for more address blocks.  They must hard code this into their updates.   After patching my router scripts, the problem was once again solved.

FYI, Siglent gear uses Linux based OS.

From my own experience, this may be a big plus.  However, I really don't know what the security problems are with LINUX.   The nice thing about my equipment, Windows NT, 2000, XP are so old, no one cares.   

My current scope's screen size is even smaller than the 6000 but I do like those large displays. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2024, 08:35:11 pm »
Let's assume Siglent would be willing to send out a loaner of the 7k series loaded up, to some home hobby user.   How long do they typically extend that trial time?  Do they offer time extensions?  Is it possible to get a used one that I could inspect their construction? 

I couldn't find a single review of it.   Are there programming examples available?   Videos showing the transfer speeds and such? 

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2024, 09:12:21 pm »
The registry has worked the same for ages. Entries change sometimes, but rarely does an established entry change like that.

Linux is typically more secure than Windows. Windows by far has the highest market share, which is why it's also the biggest target for hackers. https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2024, 09:25:20 pm »
Hi,

I couldn't find a single review of it.

That is not surprising.
The Scope is still fairly new on the market and the price is clearly aimed at corporate customers rather than hobbyists.
In this price range, it is more likely to be manufactured on demand and not stocked on the shelves of dealers.
Therefore, I can only recommend that you contact siglent NA directly with your questions.
In any case, I will be contacting Siglent EU about this soon, as we are still looking for an "official" scope with a bandwidth of at least 2Ghz.
With lecroy at least, such a request was always fruitful, and we were given the models on loan for about 3 weeks.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2024, 09:33:16 pm »
Let's assume Siglent would be willing to send out a loaner of the 7k series loaded up, to some home hobby user.   How long do they typically extend that trial time?  Do they offer time extensions? 
Option trial time is normally 30 free uses and not ON time related.

For our demo models we can apply for trial time licenses to be reset and receive a single license code for a global reset.

Is it possible to get a used one that I could inspect their construction? 
Unlikely however you could ask.
As yet there is not a service manual available with construction details to inspect.

Are there programming examples available?

From P736 onwards
https://siglentna.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2024/03/ProgrammingGuide_EN11F.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2024, 09:52:41 pm »

For our demo models we can apply for trial time licenses to be reset and receive a single license code for a global reset.

So 30 power ups?  30 triggers? 

30 power cycles would be fine.  Guessing within a month I would know if its a keeper.   Encoders work?  Don't give me the sob story that I turn them too fast. 

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2024, 10:09:05 pm »
30 calls.
E.g., once called, one day gone.
Called again at some point, another day gone.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2024, 10:12:46 pm »
Call? I have no idea what that means?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2024, 10:15:43 pm »

So 30 power ups?  30 triggers? 

30 power cycles would be fine.  Guessing within a month I would know if its a keeper.   Encoders work?  Don't give me the sob story that I turn them too fast.
As mentioned I've never had my hands on 7000A.
Ping member coromonadalix in Canada as he got a trial unit to assess and can give fair feedback on his findings.
 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds7000a-dsos-coming/msg5318461/#msg5318461
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2024, 10:16:35 pm »
User Call of the trial option.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2024, 10:21:48 pm »

Sorry but that's not helpful.  I have no idea what Call means in this context.   

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2024, 10:26:09 pm »

Sorry but that's not helpful.  I have no idea what Call means in this context.
Is user Activate more helpful ?

While Trial uses are still available each activation reduces the remaining trial uses until there are no further free uses available when IIRC you are prompted to install a permanent license.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2024, 10:29:28 pm »
Not really.

When does it ask?  Does it ask when I trigger?  Does it ask when I turn it on, run an FFT?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf