Author Topic: Looking for an alternative for sigrok  (Read 1342 times)

Offline cedric!Topic starter

• Contributor
Looking for an alternative for sigrok
« on: May 28, 2023, 03:05:22 am »
Hi All,

I'm looking for an alternative for sigrok. I like sigrok for many reasons:
+Open source / multiplatform / pretty stable
+works with many logic analyses / scopes / multimeters / mixed signal devices
+Has a lot of protocol decoders
+Has both support for both analog and digital signals
+Has math channels that can use analog, digital and other math channels as input.
+Math channels can be used as digital inputs for the protocol decoders

Sigrok also has some downsides for me:
-The output of the protocol decoders cannot be used as input for the math channels.
-Math channels don't have persistent memory, so implementing a function that looks for the maximum of the last 1000 samples is very expensive, as each output point has to do the entire calculation again.
-On the wiki, the Saleae Logic Pro 16 logic analyzer is advertised as working with analog, witch is not yet the case. I did not yet report this on the devel mailing list.
-My request for write access to the wiki was ignored, both on IRC and on the devel mailing list.
-The github.com read-only mirrors are not in sync with the sigrok.org git repositories. My report about this has been ignored
-My request for adding sigrok-pico as a Work in progress / planned device has been ignored
-My request for adding a note about the sigrok bugtracker on the FAQ and the Developers pages on the wiki has been ignored.
-My question on howto deal with non-constant sample rates in sigrok has been ignored.

So overall, Sigrok a fantastic project with a lot of potential that moves in the right direction, but it looks like the project doesn't have a lot of active developers.

Therefore I'm looking for an alternative project, that is more active, and can do some / most of the things Sigrok is capable of.

Kind regards,
Cedric
[edit: typo]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 03:24:16 am by cedric! »

Offline deepfryed

• Supporter
Re: Looking for an alternative for sigrok
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 11:17:53 pm »
I'm looking for an alternative project, that is more active, and can do some / most of the things Sigrok is capable of.

I don't think there is one that comes even close. It's a big project with few developers that sporadically work on their own time and I don't think big companies have any incentive to financially support the work.

I have some issues getting my DMM working with sigrok, I've decided to spend a few weekends debugging and send them patches. Best way to contribute back.

The following users thanked this post: alm, pdenisowski, horo

Offline larsdenmark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 01:08:06 pm »
Salea is the only one that comes to mind.

It has analog measurements mentioned here:
https://support.saleae.com/user-guide/using-logic/capture-settings

The last time I used my Salea it seemed to work.

Offline raleighlittles

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 06:40:33 am »
I think Sigrok is now in feature-freeze mode as well. Their last stable release was in 2019, and they're no longer distributing downloads.

I tried to download the sigrok-cli (64-bit) for Linux earlier and the website wasn't available: https://sigrok.org/wiki/Downloads

----

An alternative to Sigrok depends ultimately on which devices you would've used Sigrok for. Like others have said, for Logic Analyzers, Salae might be a good alternative. Depending on the model of LA you have, KingstVis might be an option too.

For oscilloscopes, OpenHantek6022 might work: https://github.com/OpenHantek/OpenHantek6022

And for oscilloscopes and power supplies with a network connection, I've been liking `lxi-tools` https://github.com/lxi-tools/lxi-tools

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 08:36:43 am »
I think Sigrok is now in feature-freeze mode as well. Their last stable release was in 2019, and they're no longer distributing downloads.
Looking at git there has been very recent activity, so I don't see evidence of a feature freeze. They do write on the download page that the nightly builds are broken, and obviously they haven't done a release in a long time.

This might be indicative that the person with dev ops skills doesn't have time, but not of a lack of development.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf