Author Topic: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES  (Read 330234 times)

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
Re: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES
« Reply #525 on: June 30, 2015, 02:48:43 am »
Hi folks! Since this thread has lots of Power Designs restoration info, I thought it appropriate to ask here about the control knobs used on many of the supplies.  I just picked up a Power Designs TP340A on eBay in excellent condition, though the voltage control knobs seem to have been replaced --- black plastic instead of the typical Aluminium.

The picture below shows the control knob of a TP340A identical to what is on my unit, compared to aluminum knobs on TP343A and TP325. 

I would like to restore the knobs on my unit to the classic aluminium version.  I've seen tons of "control knob" sellers on eBay, but wanted to check here if anyone knows a source for replacement knobs of the same Power Designs design?  (The shaft of the voltage control pots is 1/4" diameter.)

Thanks for any help!  I would love to see this unit looking classy again!

I have a TP340A that also has black plastic knobs, as have a few others I've seen on ebay. As I recall, I also saw a scan of some old promotional materials for this model that had the plastic knobs. I think they are factory original, though perhaps not all TP340As shipped that way. The identifiable datecodes on  components in mine are circa 1996, which is quite late in the life of the company/brand. Perhaps it was a cost-cutting measure.

If so, it was like moving deck-chairs on the titanic. I think of how other stuff was manufactured in the mid-90s and compare it to this. The Keithley 2000 DMM I have, which I think was designed earlier in the decade, has two machine-poplulated PCBs with a ribbon cable between them. This thing has three hand-soldered PCBs and a serious wiring harness. That sort of hand-building might have been viable with the precision supplies, but this seems like more of a commodity. They may have been able to command a premium from individuals, but that would have been a small part of the market.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #526 on: June 30, 2015, 08:31:26 pm »
Check both fuses (there should be a fuse on the /inside/ of the case, right after the transformer on the secondary side). If there is a high draw (bad current limiting, higher than normal voltage, etc) this internal fuse can blow. I got two units (different models however) with this fault.  I am uncertain if the 2005 has this internal fuse.

Thanks. I've checked both fuses. The internal fuse on the PCB was open, but replacing it didn't make an obvious difference. I need to give this unit a closer look, but I've been spending most of my repair energy on a TP340A that I'm trying to get back into spec.

Offline JoeB83

• Regular Contributor
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #527 on: July 07, 2015, 10:02:59 am »
Hi all, I just acquired a PD 3650- 0-36V, 0-5A. Weighs about 35-40 lbs. I tried searching this thread for this particular model, but didn't find much.

This thing is a beast. So far, I love it, but I've only been using it for a couple weeks.

I'm curious, does anyone have a manual or just some general info on the PD 3650?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #528 on: July 07, 2015, 10:12:52 am »
Hi all, I just acquired a PD 3650- 0-36V, 0-5A. Weighs about 35-40 lbs. I tried searching this thread for this particular model, but didn't find much.

This thing is a beast. So far, I love it, but I've only been using it for a couple weeks.

I'm curious, does anyone have a manual or just some general info on the PD 3650?
You'll find it in K04BB's Manuals Directory: 06 Misc Test Equipment/Power Designs page (.pdf's available for the operator manual, schematic, and service manual).  :)

Offline JoeB83

• Regular Contributor
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #529 on: July 07, 2015, 07:52:35 pm »
You'll find it in K04BB's Manuals Directory: 06 Misc Test Equipment/Power Designs page (.pdf's available for the operator manual, schematic, and service manual).  :)

Thanks, I always seem to forget about that site!
I didn't realize it was so old-schematics are dated 1965! It's more stable than any other power supply of mine, I'm impressed.

Offline Capt. Apparatus

« Reply #530 on: September 05, 2015, 03:46:11 am »
Just picked up a nice little Power Designs 4005 (a single not a twin) off eBay for like $14. The voltage while dead on won't go under 1v which I'm not sure was normal operation or a calibration issue. The pilot lamp is also burnt out, does anyone know the general specifications for the neon lamps used by Power Designs? Also I can't seem to find the service info anywhere not even on KO4BB's site so I really don't want to start playing with the trimpots just yet. ;)

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #531 on: September 05, 2015, 05:08:07 am »
Just picked up a nice little Power Designs 4005 (a single not a twin) off eBay for like $14. The voltage while dead on won't go under 1v which I'm not sure was normal operation or a calibration issue. The pilot lamp is also burnt out, does anyone know the general specifications for the neon lamps used by Power Designs? Also I can't seem to find the service info anywhere not even on KO4BB's site so I really don't want to start playing with the trimpots just yet. ;)

I doubt not going under 1v is normal.

The supply is probably pretty similar to the sources in a TW4005 of similar vintage. I've been hoarding every Power Designs PDF I come across, and unfortunately, I don't have a manual for the 4005 or the TW4005.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #532 on: September 05, 2015, 05:55:14 am »
FYI guys, I've got PD2005 parts available if anyone needs them. A working reference board, pots, the switch array, transformer, freshly repainted cover, chassis, meter parts. Pretty much anything you'd need to fix a 2005. Send me a PM if you need anything! I've also got a 4010 Precision unit for sale in the Buy/Sell/Trade area that I've restored. (Very rare model. I've seen two on eBay in the last year, and that's one of them!)

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #533 on: September 05, 2015, 11:42:00 am »

I have used these successfully.

Offline vindoline

• Supporter
« Reply #534 on: September 05, 2015, 01:32:50 pm »
FYI guys, I've got PD2005 parts available if anyone needs them. A working reference board, pots, the switch array, transformer, freshly repainted cover, chassis, meter parts. Pretty much anything you'd need to fix a 2005. Send me a PM if you need anything!

What's missing from the 2005 to prevent you from restoring the one you have?

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #535 on: September 05, 2015, 05:57:43 pm »
Hi

I have a TP340 and everything works (all ranges will go to the max volts and amps).  Except the bottom meter.  On volts it works on amps it does not.  I can use a multimeter to monitor the amps if needed but I wonder if this would be an easy fix or maybe not worth the effort?

thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #536 on: September 05, 2015, 08:13:40 pm »

FYI guys, I've got PD2005 parts available if anyone needs them. A working reference board, pots, the switch array, transformer, freshly repainted cover, chassis, meter parts. Pretty much anything you'd need to fix a 2005. Send me a PM if you need anything!

What's missing from the 2005 to prevent you from restoring the one you have?

The meter, oven and rectifier board. I've got the parts to build a replacement rectifier board, but I'd need a base/socket assembly for the oven (this one is completely crumbled). The unit is completely in pieces too, which is the main reason I thought I'd keep it for parts.

I've also got a 2005A that's in immaculate shape, aside from a missing oven assembly/reference board.

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline MaxFrister

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #537 on: September 06, 2015, 02:52:15 pm »
Of course it is worth fixing!  This is a great power supply.

I may be very simple.  I bought a 340 that had probably been bumped on face and breaking the lowest V/A switch.  I opened it up to replace it and found all of the switch pieces parts although some of the plastic was broken.  With a little tiny cable tie, I put the switch back together and it all works now.

Max

Hi

I have a TP340 and everything works (all ranges will go to the max volts and amps).  Except the bottom meter.  On volts it works on amps it does not.  I can use a multimeter to monitor the amps if needed but I wonder if this would be an easy fix or maybe not worth the effort?

thanks

Offline Capt. Apparatus

« Reply #538 on: September 07, 2015, 02:40:59 am »
I doubt not going under 1v is normal.

The supply is probably pretty similar to the sources in a TW4005 of similar vintage. I've been hoarding every Power Designs PDF I come across, and unfortunately, I don't have a manual for the 4005 or the TW4005.

By going through the manuals from a few similar models and using a little common sense I've been able to mostly suss out what the three trim pots do. Meter seems to track dead on now still out of spec on the low end though as far as minimum values go. minimums should be 0v and 25ma, however mine settle at 1 volt and 23ma. I'm sure more than a couple of components drifted off spec but for now I'll leave it as is until I can muster the energy to go through the whole unit.

I have used these successfully.

Thanks for the heads up on the lamps, I've got a few extra neons from a tektronix refurb I did a few years back kicking around here somewhere. Can't remember if they're 60 or 90 volts though, I'll probably give them a try though. I also hope the what I assume is a lamp holder isn't too much of a pain in the behind to open up.

Offline uoficowboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #539 on: September 13, 2015, 04:21:28 pm »
For anybody interested in a PD precision supply - there's a 5020 on Ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252087857361 (I have no connection to this auction, BTW)

5020s are pretty rare. I'm quite a fan of mine.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #540 on: September 13, 2015, 07:21:27 pm »
For anybody interested in a PD precision supply - there's a 5020 on Ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252087857361 (I have no connection to this auction, BTW)

I am the high bidder

I assume this model does not have an oven - since there is no oven light

I will probably ask the seller to turn it on and tell me what happens.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #541 on: September 13, 2015, 08:18:04 pm »
Manual says no oven. Doesnt specify the v-ref.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #542 on: September 13, 2015, 09:56:57 pm »
I thought the v-ref in the non-oven models was an LM399 with different tolerances. Ah, here's the thread about it:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/pd-2020b-question/

And schematics (it's U3):

http://exodus.poly.edu/~kurt/manuals/manuals/Other/POWER%20DESIGNS%202020B,%205020,%20C500%20Instruction.pdf
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #543 on: September 13, 2015, 10:26:03 pm »

Any suggested max bids?  I am currently at $177 but I have missed several over the last year so I am thinking of going to $233.  I am in love with these power supplies.

Anyone want to sell theirs?

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #544 on: September 13, 2015, 11:35:33 pm »

Any suggested max bids?  I am currently at $177 but I have missed several over the last year so I am thinking of going to $233.  I am in love with these power supplies.

Ahh, so you are the one! I was the original bidder. I already have a few PD precision supplies of different vintages & specs, including another 5020. The 5020s seem pretty rare, so I thought I'd bid. I'd already decided not to get into a bidding war on it though. 

You are already past what I'd be willing to spend. If you like the look and the precision, you could probably get a lower-specced supply for closer to $100. I got both of my 2005a's for ~$60 shipped. Neither of them were working, but one just needed a new fuse and power cord. The other probably doesn't need much either, but I haven't spent the time to finish troubleshooting it yet.

If you like the precision and the volt/current range, you should be able to pick up an HP6114 on an auction or best-offer. The 6114 doesn't have the nice brushed aluminum aesthetic, but I still find the industrial design pleasing and evocative.

I'll also say that from a human-factors perspective, the dials on the PD precision supplies have a shortcoming, in that the meaning of the inner vs outer knob isn't consistent -- of the two digits handled by the right-hand controls knob sets the least significant digit, while the knob sets the most-significant digit of the two digits handled by the left-hand controls. Yes, there is a logic, but the fact that there are alternative mental models puts an added cognitive burden on the user, which can lead to mistakes. I think the HP 6114's dial controls have less ambiguity.

A few things I've noticed about the 5020 in that listing:
  • The top-case isn't as perforated as my 5020, 4010 and 2005a.
  • The current and vernier settings knobs are unusual. First, they match, which is odd because most of the 5020 4020 and 4010 supplies I've seen have a 10-turn counting knob for the vernier. Second, they don't look like the knobs used on most PD supplies. They might be replacements, but I've seen similar knobs on one triple output supply. It might be that they are factory original, some of their other later supplies also have different knobs (Bitseeker and I both have TP340a supplies with similar black resin knobs.
  • The markings on the precision dials are a plastic appliqué, not the engraved and painted markings seen on most PD precision supplies. My PD5020 is a hybrid. It has engraved markings on the right-hand controls, and plastic applique on the left.
  • The meter needle is black, rather than the high-visibility color pink used on most of my PD supplies, including others with that same style of meter. My TP340a, from the mid-1990s, has that same style meter too, but also has black needles on the meters, along with newer, less awesome knobs. It's still a nice, solid supply though.

As for the Vref, definitely not one of their custom ovenized references. Probably an LM399
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:58:35 am by eas »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES
« Reply #545 on: September 14, 2015, 01:09:45 am »

I've got a restored 2020B I could sell you for $250, shipped. It uses an LM399 ovenized vref.

I replaced all the power and signal transistors with modern versions (the power transistors were changed from MS1700's to 2N3773's with 1996 date codes since the originals were unobtainable anymore; signal transistors were replaced with current production versions of the original part number).

Replaced both op-amps with modern versions (the original voltage regulation op-amp was an OP-05 which I changed to a more stable and precise LT1001; the current regulation op-amp was an LM358, which I replaced with a current production version of).

Replaced every electrolyte on the unit and put in a brand new (old stock) meter. I also repainted the case and cleaned, lubed and applied DeoxIT to the switches.

It should last another 30 years now.

It's ultra, ultra stable. You can dial in 1uV changes and it'll stay there.

Edit: Added part numbers.

Sent from my Tablet
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:28:46 am by timb »

Offline The Doktor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #546 on: September 14, 2015, 01:47:25 am »
I just received a 4010 restored by timb. It's exactly what he said it was, in case you're considering his offer.

Ed

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #547 on: September 14, 2015, 01:55:10 am »

I just received a 4010 restored by timb. It's exactly what he said it was, in case you're considering his offer.

Ed

I hope you're happy with the unit! It's a very nice little box. :)

Sent from my Smartphone

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #548 on: September 14, 2015, 01:58:19 am »

Ed

Yes I did.  I missed the 4010 and was pissed  :)

Offline uoficowboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #549 on: September 14, 2015, 02:10:48 am »

Ahh, so you are the one! I was the original bidder. I already have a few PD precision supplies of different vintages & specs, including another 5020. The 5020s seem pretty rare, so I thought I'd bid. I'd already decided not to get into a bidding war on it though. 

You are already past what I'd be willing to spend. If you like the look and the precision, you could probably get a lower-specced supply for closer to $100. I got both of my 2005a's for ~$60 shipped. Neither of them were working, but one just needed a new fuse and power cord. The other probably doesn't need much either, but I haven't spent the time to finish troubleshooting it yet.

If you like the precision and the volt/current range, you should be able to pick up an HP6114 on an auction or best-offer. The 6114 doesn't have the nice brushed aluminum aesthetic, but I still find the industrial design pleasing and evocative.

I'll also say that from a human-factors perspective, the dials on the PD precision supplies have a shortcoming, in that the meaning of the inner vs outer knob isn't consistent -- of the two digits handled by the right-hand controls knob sets the least significant digit, while the knob sets the most-significant digit of the two digits handled by the left-hand controls. Yes, there is a logic, but the fact that there are alternative mental models puts an added cognitive burden on the user, which can lead to mistakes. I think the HP 6114's dial controls have less ambiguity.

A few things I've noticed about the 5020 in that listing:
  • The top-case isn't as perforated as my 5020, 4010 and 2005a.
  • The current and vernier settings knobs are unusual. First, they match, which is odd because most of the 5020 4020 and 4010 supplies I've seen have a 10-turn counting knob for the vernier. Second, they don't look like the knobs used on most PD supplies. They might be replacements, but I've seen similar knobs on one triple output supply. It might be that they are factory original, some of their other later supplies also have different knobs (Bitseeker and I both have TP340a supplies with similar black resin knobs.
  • The markings on the precision dials are a plastic appliqué, not the engraved and painted markings seen on most PD precision supplies. My PD5020 is a hybrid. It has engraved markings on the right-hand controls, and plastic applique on the left.
  • The meter needle is black, rather than the high-visibility color pink used on most of my PD supplies, including others with that same style of meter. My TP340a, from the mid-1990s, has that same style meter too, but also has black needles on the meters, along with newer, less awesome knobs. It's still a nice, solid supply though.

As for the Vref, definitely not one of their custom ovenized references. Probably an LM399
I noticed that it's different from my 5020 as well - the things that stood out were the different meter and the lack of a counting dial on the mv knob.

As for if it has an oven - no. I believe it uses a very similar circuit to that of the 2020.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf