Author Topic: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES  (Read 330310 times)

Offline HalFoster

• Regular Contributor
Re: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES
« Reply #900 on: November 25, 2019, 12:52:24 am »
And the rest...
--- If it isn't broken... Fix it until it is ---

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Barbouri, Johnboy

Offline Johnboy

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #902 on: January 10, 2020, 06:20:10 pm »
Picked up a 2020B that needed a little bit of love.  Dirty switches, a few resistors drifted a bit, needed a good general cleanup.  Overall in good shape though and the prices was right for the LM399 referenced model.  The analog meter is not very linear, just a sanity check is all its good for.  The tracking of the dial settings is well within spec but I had to add a 3.9 ohm resistor across the 1 ohm 0-1mv pot to get it to track better.  Also added 6.9 MOhm across the 10K range selector resistor to get the 0-10v and 10-20v ranges to track better.  Checked the larger AE filter caps with my LCR meter and they appear fine.

Found a good high quality scan of the 2020B manual, includes 5020 and C500;
https://wp.geekfun.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/22/files/2015/10/Power-Designs-5020-Precision-Power-Source-Manual-Newer-Edition.pdf

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:29:34 pm by kj7e »

The following users thanked this post: exe, bitseeker

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #903 on: January 10, 2020, 06:22:28 pm »
After some fine tuning.  The greatest error is at 5v.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #904 on: January 14, 2020, 02:35:24 pm »
Did some more fine tuning, now have it where the dial settings are within 0.03% from 0 to 20v.  Also cleaned it up a bit and a fresh coat of paint.

Better than new!

Online Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #905 on: January 14, 2020, 03:21:45 pm »
That thing is a jewel.  Nice work!

Offline fastguido

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #906 on: January 14, 2020, 04:11:54 pm »
Looks like that paint is a pretty good match. Thanks for the picture of the can.

Offline alextwin007

• Contributor
  • Collector of mini test equipment
« Reply #907 on: January 14, 2020, 07:07:03 pm »
Seeing all of these cleaned up power supplies makes me want to try cleaning mine again.  There is some hardened glue from old stickers that I wasn't able to get off with isopropyl.  What doe people recommend to clean up the brushed aluminum faceplate of these?
Having a test equipment addiction is difficult when you don't have a lot of room.  The solution, only collect small adorable test equipment.

Looking for a tek 1401 / 1401A, if you have one message me

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
    • Barbouri's Electronics Projects
« Reply #908 on: January 14, 2020, 07:59:10 pm »
Seeing all of these cleaned up power supplies makes me want to try cleaning mine again.  There is some hardened glue from old stickers that I wasn't able to get off with isopropyl.  What doe people recommend to clean up the brushed aluminum faceplate of these?
I use Bestine solvent and thinner for rubber cement, which is N-Heptane. It does a very good job of removing old hardened sticker residue, but is very flammable though.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #909 on: January 14, 2020, 08:18:50 pm »

Mine had an metal department tag on the front, popped it off with an X-acto blade then used Acetone to remove the hardened glue which worked great.  But I would be careful not to rub on any of the silkscreen.  If the surface is painted, I will try to use Goo-Gone, Acetone will remote paint quickly.  Then polished the aluminum dials and faceplate with Mothers metal polish.  Also polished the meter with Novus plastic polish.

Before and after;

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:38:13 pm by kj7e »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #910 on: January 15, 2020, 03:19:29 am »
Because this is the EEVBlog;

The following users thanked this post: Melt-O-Tronic, exe

Offline mikkkejickles

• Contributor
« Reply #911 on: June 01, 2020, 02:34:22 pm »
Just pulled a 6050C from Ebay. It needs a little work as it doesn't seem like the current control works at all.

Nice unit, It's so well built and pretty, that even though it doesn't work, I'm still glad I bought it.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Barbouri

Offline Luckbad

« Reply #912 on: June 05, 2020, 05:51:08 am »
Here are 3 of my functional beauties, in service daily as we speak.

The 5015D powers my audio interface, 5020 my amplifier, and 5015T my makeshift ring light for video conferences for work. I also have a TW6050 and 6150 (both working) in the closet.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Barbouri

Offline Luckbad

« Reply #913 on: July 08, 2020, 05:02:03 am »
The "power on" lamp of my lovely Model 5020 has given up the ghost! Does anyone know where one can source these bulbs?

Offline alextwin007

• Contributor
« Reply #914 on: July 08, 2020, 05:31:03 pm »
The "power on" lamp of my lovely Model 5020 has given up the ghost! Does anyone know where one can source these bulbs?

My oven on light died a while ago so I bought a set of neons bulbs that were on sale at electronic goldmine.  They had the plastic holder and it was a direct replacement and snapped into the case, but the plastic was orange.   
Having a test equipment addiction is difficult when you don't have a lot of room.  The solution, only collect small adorable test equipment.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Luckbad

Offline Luckbad

« Reply #915 on: July 08, 2020, 06:24:52 pm »

My oven on light died a while ago so I bought a set of neons bulbs that were on sale at electronic goldmine.  They had the plastic holder and it was a direct replacement and snapped into the case, but the plastic was orange.

I have never heard of this lovely place, but my wife will hear of it when she wonders what happened to my wallet!

Are you talking about these? https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G24950

Offline alextwin007

• Contributor
« Reply #916 on: July 08, 2020, 06:29:12 pm »

I have never heard of this lovely place, but my wife will hear of it when she wonders what happened to my wallet!

Are you talking about these? https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G24950

Yeah they have some fun stuff.  Unfortunately their inventory changes a lot and they don't have the ones I got.  If you take your 5020 appart and measure the bulb inside the plastic housing, if it's the same size then it should work.  These are designed to work with mains voltage with just a resistor.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #917 on: July 19, 2020, 05:42:47 pm »
I hadn't seen this site before, either. Thanks, Alex!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #918 on: December 24, 2020, 08:40:27 am »
I was looking at the history of creation of ltz1000, ended up reading interviews with Carl Nelson https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/analog/article/21805566/an-interview-with-analog-guru-carl-nelson . Look what power supplies he used to use https://base.imgix.net/files/base/ebm/electronicdesign/image/2017/09/www_electronicdesign_com_sites_electronicdesign.com_files_Rako_Nelson_Fig1.png?auto=format&fit=max&w=1440 . I recognize one lambda lpt-7202-fm , an hp unit or something (6284A? I'm not familiar with hp/harrison power supplies), and power designs 2005 or 2020.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #919 on: December 24, 2020, 03:37:55 pm »
Brings back fond old memories from our labs ::)

Lambda and Power Designs were the only things that we had that wasn't Tektronix, HP or Fluke.

Carl Nelson, Bob Widlar and George Erdi were the top creative analog IC designers during their careers, they all produced many brilliant and useful ICs.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #920 on: December 24, 2020, 05:45:50 pm »
I recently restored an uncommon Power Designs, Inc. 6010D supply.
https://www.barbouri.com/2020/11/22/power-designs-6010d-universal-dc-source-restoration/
It has a maximum output is 60 Volts at 1.5 Amps, so I wonder why it wasn't given a 6015D model number?
It's a great little power supply, but there is very little documentation available for it though.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #921 on: December 24, 2020, 11:50:17 pm »
That's a good question. Even the original, analog-metered 6010 had the same ranges, but wasn't called 6015. :-//
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #922 on: December 26, 2020, 02:15:47 pm »
https://www.barbouri.com/2020/11/22/power-designs-6010d-universal-dc-source-restoration/

I've read the article, thanks for sharing. At it says you have some plans to upgrade the meter. I'm curious what's your plan, if I may ask? More resolution, bt-connection, dual display? :)

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #923 on: December 27, 2020, 03:49:17 am »
I've read the article, thanks for sharing. At it says you have some plans to upgrade the meter. I'm curious what's your plan, if I may ask? More resolution, bt-connection, dual display? :)

Hi exe,
The display upgrade will be based on a previous upgrade to a Power Designs, Inc. 6050C display.
https://www.barbouri.com/2018/07/07/upgrading-a-power-designs-inc-6050c-with-a-4-digit-plus-mode-display/
For the PD 6010D and some other D series units, this will provide 10 mV voltage resolution, and 1 mA current resolution upgrade on the 4 digit display.
I am currently working on the 2nd revision of the updated board, and should have all the parts in the first week of January 2021.

Image of Rev. 1.0 Board

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline Barbouri

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #924 on: January 05, 2021, 08:59:36 pm »
Blog post is now up for upgraded Power Designs D-series meter display.
https://www.barbouri.com/2021/01/05/new-display-boards-for-power-designs-d-series-power-supplies/

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, exe, bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf