Author Topic: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES  (Read 330304 times)

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
Re: POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES
« Reply #475 on: November 16, 2014, 02:25:38 pm »
Agreed! very nice job  :-+

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #476 on: November 17, 2014, 08:04:08 am »
What a great job you did, timb  :clap:

I was surprised by how out of shape your unit was and how you've brought it back to life, and looking forward to seeing your upgrades.

I'd be curious to see whether the panel meters will inject a tiny bit of noise into the output if you build it into the chassis. 

I'm like MarkPalmer on maintaining the original look and technology as much as possible, and when I do need better metering of the power output, just drop my eload in series or use separate DMMs. 

I've kept original labels from the primary owner whenever possible [ not the seller].  The top one was from Boeing, and one of the others is either Martin Marietta, or Grumman but fell off, and one from a cal lab that has stickers on the screws not to open it  ;).  Aside from cleaning and some Dexoit, the units are working as they came OOB from eBay.

Agreed! very nice job  :-+

Thanks guys! Yeah, I worked hard on this one and I appreciate all the help from everyone here. Physically, I would have *liked* to keep this 2020B stock, but the panel meter was broken beyond repair and I haven’t been able to locate a suitable replacement edgewise meter, so I figure doing some sort of retro looking digital meter would be my best bet.

That’s why I was thinking of using the HP bubble displays, to keep it from the same era:

As for noise, I doubt it will inject any noise. I can always use an Op-Amp on the input of the panel meter chip so I don’t place any load on the output itself (though I imagine that’s already part of the chip). I can also use one of those cheap 5V supply isolators to power the chip if I do see any noise. I highly doubt that will be an issue though.

I also did consider rebuilding the old meter with a Switec X27.168 servo, which could have been cool.

The other option is using tiny individual LEDs on a board to make a custom bar graph type deal. I’d custom print markings on translucent vinyl and place it in-front of the LEDs and behind a clear piece of acrylic glass in the meter cutout.

Not sure what would look the best, though I’m going with the LEDs.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES
« Reply #477 on: November 18, 2014, 09:33:41 am »
Okay, tonight I started breadboarding the 2005A replacement reference. I'm starting out without the LM399 and just using a generic 6.2V Zener for testing.

I'm basically following the circuit as-is, just using a MAT01 to see how it functions. My resistor values are closest-match and I'm using a 2N2222A as the other transistor. I think I've got a 1N4007 where the only non-Zener (a "GI44") is.

I tried desoldering one leg of that diode from my working board and, while trying to unwrap the lead, the diode literally split in half. So I can't characterize what they had in there.

I guess spending close to 40 years in a 75c oven will make anything brittle!

Anyway, I'll have results tonight!

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #478 on: November 18, 2014, 06:36:52 pm »
Very nice! I was wondering who bought that TW6050D ;)  Glad it went to a good home. As for the display mod, that will be a very nice upgrade!   :-+

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #479 on: November 18, 2014, 07:56:31 pm »

Very nice! I was wondering who bought that TW6050D ;)  Glad it went to a good home. As for the display mod, that will be a very nice upgrade!   :-+

Were you the seller or just watching it?

Sent from my Smartphone

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #480 on: November 18, 2014, 08:49:10 pm »
Just a creepy watcher ;). Although i had thought to buy it a couple of relists before, but the seller creeped me out with the way he described the shipping to me in answer to a question on shipping cost.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #481 on: November 18, 2014, 10:11:06 pm »
Haha, what was his description?

I ended up getting it for $100 shipped. After shipping he told me it ended up costing him just over $50 to ship it, so he lost out on the deal but wasn't mad, as that's the way it goes sometimes.

Sent from my Smartphone

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #482 on: November 18, 2014, 11:02:38 pm »
Yeah, he gave me a similar story... I put a best offer of 80$ on it (and he had listed shipping as 45$), and countered 120$ saying that he had to cover shipping... I refused the counter offer and messaged him that I was under the impression that the shipping was aside from the offer/bid/BIN price. Just weird. But glad you got it... I love my 6050D ;D  (and my 6050C that I modded the display to larger 7-segment modules).

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #483 on: November 19, 2014, 12:13:29 am »
Oh post pictures of that 6050C!

Personally, I doubt shipping cost $50. I had a Fluke 382A shipped for $30 which is about double the length of the TW6060D and weighs 60lbs. I also had an HP3456A ship for $19.

Those were from professional sellers though. Maybe this was $50 if the guy took it to the UPS Store and had them pack it?

Either way, not my problem. I figure I got a good deal on this. It fits in a nice gap between my Keithley 2200-30-3 and my 2020B. (And other smaller things like my HP6235A which is GREAT for analog work since it has a tracking negative rail.)

Sent from my Smartphone

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #484 on: November 19, 2014, 11:26:45 am »
Oh post pictures of that 6050C!

I already did! ;)   But in the Projects area...  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/power-designs-6050c-display-mod/msg535294/#msg535294

Perhaps this will get it some more view loving ;)

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #485 on: November 19, 2014, 01:01:33 pm »
Sweet! I'll have a look. So, #6 arrived today in absolutely gorgeous shape. Everything works a treat and it seemed to be perfectly in cal, too. The dust inside has been undisturbed for quite some time, so I'd say it hasn't been messed with recently. What is it?

Power Designs Model 4010

Dates from about 1967 so far as I can tell. It uses the exact same reference oven as the 2005A (down to the model number) but is constructed like the 2005. The cover also was painted in a totally different shade of blue than any other PD supply I've seen.

I like the funky square resistors too.

Even the original neon lamps work... This is the best looking supply I've received to date. Just wish I could get the schematics for it.

Sent from my Tablet
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:07:30 pm by timb »

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #486 on: November 19, 2014, 01:11:13 pm »
Damnit!  I was watching that one TOO.  But I really couldn't talk myself into buying it.   |O   Damn conscience.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #487 on: November 19, 2014, 01:18:40 pm »
Any others you're watching? XD

It's really accurate, too. At full load (40V@1A) I was seeing basically no ripple and very little noise. Short term stability is on par with my 2020B; though I'm sure the 24H specs won't be. Once I clean and lube everything it should make a good supply.

Sent from my Tablet

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #488 on: November 19, 2014, 01:27:18 pm »
At the other end of the range, I was looking at this beauty:  eBay auction: #381047047785.  And then of course, there is my new favourite eBay auction: #121171745722 (although the shipping is 84$  :o )

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #489 on: November 19, 2014, 01:35:13 pm »
Yeah, I'd like one of those kV supplies as well. BTW, if you're interested in the 4010 let me know. I'm open to trades for other equipment. I'm currently looking for a DC load, PD supplies, bi-polar operational supplies and anything interesting or unique.

Sent from my Tablet

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #490 on: November 19, 2014, 01:39:24 pm »
Well, I do have this zooming in my direction: eBay auction: #201218241093  No idea what the operational status is of it yet.  And I will probably get violated in all holes by UPS when it shows up (note to self: do NOT buy anything shipped via UPS only anymore!)

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #491 on: November 20, 2014, 03:39:37 am »
Damn, that looks nice! :-+

Honestly, I’ve always had a better experience with UPS. One time I had a 19” rack mount server shipped back to me from a data center. Where I lived at the time was in this little rural area off a suburb, we had a gravel driveway that came in from the main cul-de-sac and lead to a motorized gate. We had our zip code programmed as a valid code during certain hours of the day that all the delivery people knew about. I guess this guy was a temp or new or something, but he left this big ass package outside of the gate. In the pouring rain. I know they fucking carry large plastic bags in those trucks, he didn’t even wrap it. Anyway, FedEx paid me $2500, no questions after I showed them the pictures.

Personally, I think the biggest problem is packing. I posted a picture earlier in the thread of how my 2020B arrived. In a box about 1” larger than the unit itself. A smattering of bubble wrap and packing peanuts. I always instruct the sellers to wrap the item in 5+ layers of large bubble wrap in each direction and then (for bonus protection) line all four sides of the box with that stiff styrofoam board stuff. Ideally the item should snuggly fit inside the box with just the bubble wrap; if not add more bubble wrap until snug. Packing peanuts are a waste on large heavy items as they get crushed and the item settles to the bottom anyway. This way, if the item arrives broken and it wasn’t packed to my specifications, I basically get a refund either willingly or from eBay.

In other news, day 3 of the LT1001 burn-in on my 2020B continues. According to my 3456A, the unit has *drifted +0.001% in three days. Tonight I’m going to set it to 1V to collect more precise data, now that I know it’s stable.

*I’ve got the unit set to 20.000V and did a zero calibration to +0.000005 and a range calibration to +20.0000V three days ago. It’s been connected to the ‘56A the entire time with PLI at 100, Auto Zero and Auto Filter On and 6.5 Digits displayed. I’m running it in %Error mode [100(X-Y)/Y] on the front panel and collecting raw voltage data via GPIB on every trigger.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #492 on: November 20, 2014, 06:34:39 pm »
That supply is coming to my office, so I'm not worried about the delivery per-se… it's more the brokerage fee(s) that I'm worried about. Which they don't need to tell you up front everything they could charge. Anyways, we will see.  It is stuck in customs at the moment, maybe 20mins from me. :(

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #493 on: November 24, 2014, 10:15:50 am »
So, I got the 4010 pretty much cleaned up. I'm getting good at revamping front panels on these things now! =D

I took the switch assembly out (forgot to take detailed pictures of if, doh!) and cleaned it, put DeOXIT Shield on on the contacts and Lithium Grease on the bearings and such. Pulled the 10-turn rotary pot completely apart, cleaned it and applied DeOXIT Fader lube. I also scrubbed all the knobs, re-inked some of the faded numbering, disassembled, cleaned and greased the DigiPot control knob and replaced all the lamps.

Put it all back together and it's working better than before.

I've got to say, this thing is really stable, maybe more so than the 2020B.

I can literally dial in 1uV changes...and it's stable! I actually set it to 0.000001V, came back an hour later and hasn't drifted.

This thing was made in 1967. All discrete parts connected with point to point wiring on a turret board.  Think about that for a minute. How the hell do they get that kind of stability out of it?!

Anyway, pictures!

Sent from my Smartphone

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #494 on: November 24, 2014, 12:07:05 pm »
Looking very good  :-+

Offline motocoder

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #495 on: November 24, 2014, 05:55:34 pm »
YEs, nice indeed. What is that cylinder in the photo?

BTW - still no sign of the heater wire. I am beginning to wonder if you are just jerking me around on that, and haven't sent anything. A month is a long time...

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #496 on: November 24, 2014, 08:12:22 pm »
That's the 10-turn pot.

I dropped the package in the mail whenever I sent you the last PM. Along with some stuff for a friend and she hasn't gotten hers yet either. I think USPS is slow right now or something, maybe being the start of the Christmas season? It should be in this week I'd imagine. I've also got an incoming eBay package that's been last scanned at my local hub since Thursday, so maybe it's just my post office/hub bring horrible? :(

Sent from my Smartphone

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #497 on: December 09, 2014, 12:44:37 am »
Well this thread and others had me Jones'n for a PD 2005A for some time. Finally spotted THIS ONE for $72.   

With a bit of clean up it's looking nice. Pure beauty from a bygone era.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the size - smaller than I expected.  Out of the box it was within spec and easily even better with a quick and easy calibration.

No, I don't need this kind fo precision or stability for anything but damn it is nice to have.. does that make me a Volt Nut??? :-[

My vintage power supply habit is satiated again, at least for now.

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #498 on: December 09, 2014, 03:31:33 am »
must...resist...urge...to...buy...

That sure looks nice! I've got one of their tracking supplies. New power device and it works perfect. Plus it's satisfying to look at the innards, seeing how stuff used to be built.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #499 on: March 06, 2015, 07:53:22 am »
Hi folks! Since this thread has lots of Power Designs restoration info, I thought it appropriate to ask here about the control knobs used on many of the supplies.  I just picked up a Power Designs TP340A on eBay in excellent condition, though the voltage control knobs seem to have been replaced --- black plastic instead of the typical Aluminium.

The picture below shows the control knob of a TP340A identical to what is on my unit, compared to aluminum knobs on TP343A and TP325. 

I would like to restore the knobs on my unit to the classic aluminium version.  I've seen tons of "control knob" sellers on eBay, but wanted to check here if anyone knows a source for replacement knobs of the same Power Designs design?  (The shaft of the voltage control pots is 1/4" diameter.)

Thanks for any help!  I would love to see this unit looking classy again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf