Author Topic: Looking for help with diagnosis/repair of an Agilent N9320B spectrum analyzer  (Read 458 times)

Offline swperkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I just got an Agilent N9320B that is in like-new shape and boots up fine to a a normal looking trace, complete with the LO feedthrough at 0 Hz. Unfortunately, there seem to be two issues:

First, there is no output from the cal connector on the front panel. It should be 50 MHz @ -10 dBm, but looking at it with both a known good spectrum analyzer and a broadband power meter, absolutely nothing is there. I've searched through the relatively sparse documentation and explored all the menus, but there does not seem to be an on/off control for the calibrator, so I'm assuming it's supposed to be on whenever the SA is powered on.

Second, and more importantly, the analyzer shows known input signals to be lower in amplitude than they really are. At lower frequencies, the errors are greater (e.g., ~18 dBm low at 100 MHz), with decreasing errors (higher amplitudes) at higher frequencies (e.g., ~8dBm low at 3 GHz). Could this be something as simple as a fractured trace or marginal connector in the input signal path, or might it be a damaged first mixer or other component in the path?

Any ideas, help, troubleshooting suggestions, schematics, etc. are very welcome!

Thanks,
Stan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf