Author Topic: Looking for a "SeamSeamless Data Logging" / "Continues recording" osciloscope  (Read 563 times)

Offline MikeLemon1Topic starter

I'm been searching quite alot on jujle for continues recording osciloscope to be able to measure signal length's of say over the standard 10M over long period of times say monitoing of a signal and logging it for minute's houres or days unnlike the seconds or milliseconds the onscope memory to USB stick usually only able to capture and I tought such scope would utilize the speed of USB 3.0 if that's such a thing?

Else how do you do the usual "High resolution" signal capturing over time and logging with the oscilloscope?

(I'm aware of salea and other logic analyzers but I want to use the "universal tool the osciloscope" that can measure anything robustly for signal logging rather then hack an electrical adapter for the analyzer for high voltage cases etc...)

(Expensive enterprise special case test equipment scope solutions are also intereting and welcome on this thread)

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
i would say a scope is not the ideal tool,  i do use saleae tools to monitor voltages and data lines, and longer periods by usb Ni-DAQ interfaces, i scan 12 channels over 24 hours
but it give tons of data, i mean tons,  it has a tendency to be heavy on the computer ressources, you need a good pc / laptop for that

A scope memory will overfill and not provide you with what you need, it may stream lot more data than needed, and many scope softwares are not designed for the very long run you need  unless you save on csv files  ....  or save as a graph  ??   or build your own  with python  etc ....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
The Data Logger feature in SDS11/1204X-E might suit your needs.
Start reading P202 of the manual.
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/SDS1000X_E_SDS1000X_U_UserManual_EN.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline OneGeekGuy

• Contributor
I was using Lecroy oscilloscopes with Pass/Fail or Mask in order to automate the capture of signals, I was able to log thousands of captures and storage them in the Osci HDD or Externally, also possible to save the waveforms. Would be interesting to see how often it can capture due to possible buffers and so on.... I did not check, but might be an idea.

Any other oscilloscope with these kinds of functions might work, for sure you will need to think about how to automate or which criteria to use.

I know it is not a "cheap" solution at least on these "high end" oscilloscopes but as said, as an idea.

Regards.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
I was using Lecroy oscilloscopes with Pass/Fail or Mask in order to automate the capture of signals, I was able to log thousands of captures and storage them in the Osci HDD or Externally, also possible to save the waveforms. Would be interesting to see how often it can capture due to possible buffers and so on.... I did not check, but might be an idea.

Any other oscilloscope with these kinds of functions might work, for sure you will need to think about how to automate or which criteria to use.

I know it is not a "cheap" solution at least on these "high end" oscilloscopes but as said, as an idea.
LeCroy is not the only brand that offers a good Pass/Fail feature.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
I'm been searching quite alot on jujle for continues recording osciloscope to be able to measure signal length's of say over the standard 10M over long period of times say monitoing of a signal and logging it for minute's houres or days unnlike the seconds or milliseconds the onscope memory to USB stick usually only able to capture and I tought such scope would utilize the speed of USB 3.0 if that's such a thing?

Else how do you do the usual "High resolution" signal capturing over time and logging with the oscilloscope?

(I'm aware of salea and other logic analyzers but I want to use the "universal tool the osciloscope" that can measure anything robustly for signal logging rather then hack an electrical adapter for the analyzer for high voltage cases etc...)

(Expensive enterprise special case test equipment scope solutions are also intereting and welcome on this thread)

What kind of signal? Frequencies, voltages, current?
With what resolution and accuracy?

Do you want a stream capture?
At what sample rate?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
A DMM (connected over a network) with a high enough sampling rate can also be an option. This will give a much higher accuracy compared to an oscilloscope. But it all depends on what the OP is after.

IOW: What is the exact problem that needs to be solved?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online tautech

• Super Contributor

LeCroy is not the only brand that offers a good Pass/Fail feature.  ;)
Eg, with a $500 DSO:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/msg5480482/#msg5480482
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
You are describing a "digitiser" not a scope. The primary/distinguishing feature of a scope is triggering.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
There are lots of potential options, but what are your requirements?  The big potential benefit of a scope for something like this is sample rate, but for most long recording applications, a high sample rate isn't really required.  There are digitizers, there are standalone long term recording units (like Hioki's Hicorder series), and there are scopes where you can just tell it to sample very infrequently (and 10M record length is pretty short by modern standards.)  Usually the slower sampling devices will give you higher resolution conversion, but a modern 12 bit scope can do a reasonable job too.

Online electr_peter

• Supporter
Some scopes have "recorder" function built-in, like Yokogawa DL950 ScopeCorder. General purpose scope is not well suited for long-term recording.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf