Author Topic: Looking for user/programming manual for Anritsu MF91A Wavelength Meter  (Read 10044 times)

Offline _Wim_Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for user/programming manual for Anritsu MF91A Wavelength Meter
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 07:10:56 pm »
I have installed the free version of IDA for this project, but unfortunately it does not support the Z80. The paid version is too expensive for my very limited use (this little project). The file from IDA looks a bit more readably, but still, I would not have realized that these were GPIB commands.

I am looking specifically for a command that returns an array with all the measured light intensities for the scanned spectrum. This unit scans the attached light source from 600nm to 1000nm, with a resolution of 0.1nm. I would like to display the completely scanned spectrum, and not only the reported peak value. This unit is quite old (1985), but when I connected a HeNe laser source, it still exactly reports 632.8nm, I was quite impressed by that.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 07:45:46 pm »
I am looking specifically for a command that returns an array with all the measured light intensities for the scanned spectrum. This unit scans the attached light source from 600nm to 1000nm, with a resolution of 0.1nm. I would like to display the completely scanned spectrum, and not only the reported peak value. This unit is quite old (1985), but when I connected a HeNe laser source, it still exactly reports 632.8nm, I was quite impressed by that.

I already understood what you want from a previous post, but do you even think that there is such a command?
Maybe the commands that have an unknown action (F0, F1 and F2) or the R0 one (I can't remember an R1 but I will have to check again) need an additional parameter, like the wavelength? (Hmm, F for frequency...) Maybe it is not possible to return the whole scanned spectrum automatically but if you can set the wavelength and then get the intensity it could solve your problem. I have to look at the firmware again to see if it accepts/expects parameters.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 07:53:49 pm »
Yes, I do not know if there is such a command. Reading out the intensity for a specific wavelength would off course also be a good solution. I have already tried to add a wavelenth to the unknown intructions, and also tried to complete alpabet from A0 to Z1 to check if a get a different responce.

But so far no other returns exept for R0, but I do not understand what this feedback is... I have also checked other manuals from Anritsu to check if they have comparable commands, but so far found nothing comparable.

I am already very gratefull for the commands I have, this allows me to perform some long term logging for the sensor I am working on.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 08:32:43 pm »
After the second R0 it looks like you get 4 different power measurements:

Now the question of course is, what are they? the 4 strongest points after the 851.5 -01.02? The fact that you have to send R0 or R1 twice makes me think that they expect another parameter, did you try to send R0 or R1 followed by a wavelength either on the same line or on a second line?
<<x20>> is just a space, not sure why it shows in hex here.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 08:54:40 pm »
After the second R0 it looks like you get 4 different power measurements:

Now the question of course is, what are they? the 4 strongest points after the 851.5 -01.02? The fact that you have to send R0 or R1 twice makes me think that they expect another parameter, did you try to send R0 or R1 followed by a wavelength either on the same line or on a second line?
<<x20>> is just a space, not sure why it shows in hex here.

Just played around a bit more. It seems that "sending it twice" is related to timing. If I use SEND and afterwards READ, I only need to send R0/R1 once. But if I use the SEND&READ function of my software, I need to send R0/R1 twice.

I have added a wavelength directly to the R0 command (seperated by a space), and on a new line (seperated by , or ;). I have tried many other combinations also, but always get the same feedback.

If do not think the feedback on R0 are 4 power measurements, becasue the light source I used is monochromatic, so no other wavelenth should have a measureable intensity (at least not when seperated by 0.1nm)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 09:05:48 pm »

If do not think the feedback on R0 are 4 power measurements, becasue the light source I used is monochromatic, so no other wavelenth should have a measureable intensity (at least not when seperated by 0.1nm)

Ok, I have to take that back a little. The feedback is related to power, but I do not think is are different wavelengths. Below is the feedback I get by reducing the level of the laser each time with 1 db.

So 3 of the 4 fields nicely drop with one dB (power of the peak dropped from -4dBm to -10dBm in these 6 steps)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2016, 07:21:49 pm »
I have found an Anritsu manual that has simular commands:

https://dl.cdn-anritsu.com/en-us/test-measurement/files/Manuals/Programming-Manual/10370-10286.pdf

I have tried to supply parameters using  for example "F0 800_NM" and "F0 800" (same for F1 and F2), but I get no different reply so far.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2016, 07:28:24 pm »
That confirms that Anritsu uses these letter-figure combination of GPIB commands, but that is something we already found. Since the manual you found is for a signal generator I have not much hope that there are similar commands apart from IDN.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2016, 07:34:12 pm »
Most Anritsue GPIB command (probably of more modern units) look more "standard" as used by HP and R&S. This manual uses also the letter/figure combination.I agree the commands will not be simular, but there is a good change F0 to F2 will also modify parameters.

I was also looking for the way they make longer commands, which separators are used, and how they are triggered.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2016, 08:05:41 pm »
Thanks again! So this is indeed also in my unit what F0, F1 and F2 mean...

So now only R0 and R1 can bring the needed information  ::)

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2016, 08:32:17 pm »
So now only R0 and R1 can bring the needed information  ::)

I had another look at the R command:

So if you send R0 it stores a 1 in location 6400H, if it is not a 0 it stores a 1 there.

This changes the output type, if there is a 1 @ 6400H it outputs the 4 numbers:

if there is a 0 it outputs the normal format. So... sorry but it's not going to do what you want.

The following users thanked this post: _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2016, 08:49:01 pm »
I was already afraid so...

Many thanks for your help, it was very much appreciated! I would never have gotten this far alone.

I have attached a summury of the commands discoverd if anyone would need them later on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf