Author Topic: Low frequency ramps everywhere!  (Read 3069 times)

Online AnthocyaninaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
Low frequency ramps everywhere!
« on: April 19, 2021, 02:14:50 pm »
Hi! so, lately i've been looking at function generators specifications and I've noticed one thing that is pretty common: most of them specify ramps up to about 500 KHz, a few to a couple MHz at most, and I haven't found any that specifies a ramp beyond 5 MHz. I would like to understand why this is the case, is there something specially difficult about generating a ramp function? They all bundle ramps and triangles in their specifications, so i wonder if the specification is regarding the 0% and 100% ramps because of the abrupt rising or falling edges in those cases, so I wonder if the 50% ramps could go up to higher frequencies than specified? I still find it strange to see they all specify such low frequencies even compared to the square wave, and I would imagine if it is because of the rising and falling edge thing, square waves are still specified up to significantly much higher frequencies, and they also involve fast transitions, so that now makes me wonder if they just limit the frequencies at such low range because no one uses ramps beyoned a couple MHz?
I really would love to understand which is the case. I doubt the case is that it is hard to make fast ramps, i got a raspberry pi pico and a bunch of resistors and look at this triangle output! it's of course not perfect, but if for 8$ one can do something like this, how come function generators that sell for 3k USD specify rams at such low frequencies? I feel like I'm missing something big here because i really can't understand this  :o
Thank you!

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Low frequency ramps everywhere!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 03:51:46 pm »
Sure, rising and falling edges are more demanding in terms of harmonics -- but most engineers understand that, because it is the example they were taught. Ramps live in the danger zone where they look sort of sinusoidal, "requiring few harmonics," while presenting a severe temptation to assume ideal linearity, which brings the requirement for those harmonics right back, especially at the sharp up/down transition points.

Ramps are the perfect trap for young players, in other words, and if instrument manufacturers aren't careful they will take the blame: some kid will claim their experiment was ruined because of the manufacturer's bad ramps when in reality the young player should have abandoned the concept of ideal ramp stimulus long ago, even if doing so required a bit of math for a different stimulus function or an extra reference measurement channel.

The following users thanked this post: Anthocyanina

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 03:57:43 pm »
The triangle wave is a special case of a ramp waveform with equal rise and fall times.  Usually, ramps have a much slower rise in one direction and a much quicker fall in the other direction, since they are typically used to sweep a variable through a range followed by a quick re-trace.  Do you have a use case for such a ramp waveform at frequencies above 1 MHz?  The quick fall time dominates the question of the required frequency bandwidth for an asymmetric ramp.

Offline munkeyman1985

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 04:11:56 pm »
In the same area as jjoonathan's post.  Faster ramps and the quick drop for the next ramp, requires a lot more power. The power requirements often increase with speed exponential. This means a little more speed is relatively expensive.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 04:18:11 pm »
@TimFox Right, that's why you might expect a ramp spec as conservative as a square wave spec, but the desire for linearity explains why the ramp spec might be even more conservative than that.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 04:22:27 pm »
There's triangle waves, non-adjustable up/down ramps and then there are fully configurable ramp functions.  The first two seem to be available at much higher frequencies than the last, at least among the few units I have laying around or have looked at recently.

Some signal generators use the triangle wave as the basis for the sine wave output, for example the old HP 8116A.  So they provide a 50MHz sine and triangle function, although at 50MHz the triangle is pretty rounded. 

My cheapie FeelTech units provide a triangle wave function up to the sine wave limit, 60MHz, but again it doesn't look good--at 10MHz it looks perfectly presentable, though.

Siglent SDG2042X-h AWG True-ARB/DDS has configurable ramps up to 1MHz and ARB-based up/down ramps up to 20MHz.  The up/down ramps don't look great above about 5 MHz, as you might expect.  No separate triangle wave function though.

I suspect the reason that higher frequency ramp functions aren't included is that they are difficult to generate cleanly at those high frequencies and there's not any actual use for them.  The ones that do include a higher frequency triangle wave seem to either have it as part of the internal system anyway or else they've just thrown it in there (FeelTech).  So the Siglent could not match your Pico triangle wave at 2.5MHz unless you loaded in an ARB file for it.  They could just load it in their standard ARB files, but the fact that they haven't seems to indicate nobody is asking for it.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 04:26:59 pm »
The digital created ramps are somewhat tricky at the tips. The usualy modern function generators use a DAC and filter to remove aliasing. The ramps inlcude some harmonics and for the combination also the phase is tricky. The usual fitlers used for a DDS is made for sine wave performance - the roll of in amplitude is relatively sharp, but the phase is allready effected quite a bit lower than the cross over for the amplitude.
Another problem is that with generating fine frequency steps DDS like with non integer phase steps will modulate the amplitude at the peaks. The maximum level reached can vary and thus give nasty looking amplitde modulation even if the harmonics would be all OK. So a good triangle needs a few 100 samples per period, while DDS sine works OK with some 4 points for a period.
So the ramps / trangle waveform will look rather uggly allready at relatively low frequency. Even though the harminc contence is not large it is enough to be noted.

Analog genration of a ramp is easy in comparison, but in the simple form the frequency is not very stable.

The following users thanked this post: jjoonathan, Anthocyanina

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 05:08:18 pm »
Like square waves, triangle waves place considerable demands on the output amplifier above the fundamental frequency and wide output range wideband amplifiers are not trivial, which is why function generators are commonly limited to 2 MHz and lower.  20 to 40 MHz function generators are the exception and considerable can be learned by studying how there output amplifiers are designed and implemented.  I am not even sure how to implement their output amplifiers anymore due to lack of availability of PNP RF transistors.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 06:10:46 pm »
There are a lot of serious limitations for ramp generation, for example:

1) it needs much higher sample rate for DAC at least 100-200 times faster than the ramp frequency. If you want to get 10 MHz ramp, then you needs to use about 10*100 = 1 GHz DAC and expensive FPGA which allows to drive it at GHz frequency.

2) the ramp waveform has a very wide bandwidth, so the generator output antialiasing filter cut-off should be very high, as result it also requires very high speed DAC to prevent aliasing.

3) output amplifier needs to be very wide range in order to avoid ramp distortion. This is also very complicated.

1-2 GHz DAC with good linearity and interpolation is very expensive and requires very expensive high speed FPGA to control it. A good power amplifier with a good linearity and low distortions for so wide bandwidth is also very expensive.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:17:25 pm by radiolistener »

Online DL2XY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 07:13:23 pm »
How about that?

50Mhz sawtooth from SDG6052 in ARB Mode.
The residual distortion is mostly from scope interpolation.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:16:48 pm by DL2XY »

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 08:03:43 pm »
Tektronix FG 504 plugin for TM500 series  goes to 40 MHz as a sine,  but is still triangle at 20 MHz.

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 08:44:13 pm »
For old analog function generators it was common ta have the triangel wave also to relatively high frequencies. They often made a sine via triangel and nonlinear wave shaping. So they needed the good tringle anyway. In addition at the time many scope were less powerfull and thus less picky users.  :-DD

In the old days there where fast PNP ouput transistors, which are rare by now.
Many modern genrators just use fast amplifier chips and thus may compromise on the maximum amplitude. There are crazy fast OPs by now.
If really needed, one can build an amplifier also with only NPNs.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 11:32:14 pm »
How about that?

But look at the pitifully small amplitude.

My FG502 generates a 10 MHz triangle wave with a 10 volts peak-to-peak amplitude, and that is before 5 volts of offset is applied making the output range is +/-10 volts.  So even with double termination, the entire range of 5 volt logic, or negative 5 volt logic if using ECL, is covered.

My 2 MHz function generators have the same output range.

That also means that my function generators can directly drive a power MOSFET through saturation and cutoff.

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 12:14:05 am »
Some signal generators use the triangle wave as the basis for the sine wave output, for example the old HP 8116A.  So they provide a 50MHz sine and triangle function, although at 50MHz the triangle is pretty rounded. 
Hi! this is one of the things that also made me wonder about that. when i built a generator using a 555 timer, i used integrators to get different waveforms at the output. integrating the square wave gives me the triangular wave and integrating that one gives me a parabola that looks pretty much like a sine wave, and of course, that generator is really low frequency, goes up to a few kilohertz, but the idea behind it i thought still made sense in real function generators, to get a ramp just generate a pwm square and integrate that to get whatever ramp you needed, I mean, now i know it's not like that that they generate ramps.

I suspect the reason that higher frequency ramp functions aren't included is that they are difficult to generate cleanly at those high frequencies and there's not any actual use for them.  The ones that do include a higher frequency triangle wave seem to either have it as part of the internal system anyway or else they've just thrown it in there (FeelTech).  So the Siglent could not match your Pico triangle wave at 2.5MHz unless you loaded in an ARB file for it.  They could just load it in their standard ARB files, but the fact that they haven't seems to indicate nobody is asking for it.

So it makes sense the reason we don't see that many generators with high frequency ramps is a combination of it being difficult to generate and also pretty much useless to do so at higher frequencies?

Thank you!

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 12:17:57 am »
Do you have a use case for such a ramp waveform at frequencies above 1 MHz? 

I don't really need ramps at all, haven't needed to use them outside a couple of classes really. I just found this so strange that ramps were so low frequency compared to any other function the function generators offer that I was wondering why that was the case. Thank you!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 02:44:24 am »
How about that?

:-//
5 MHz 2mv to 20V p-p into HiZ in Ramp mode.
20 MHz 2mV to 20V p-p into HiZ in Arb mode.
20-50 MHz 2mV to 10V p-p into HiZ in Arb mode.
Max Offset +10V
https://siglentna.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/04/SDG6000X_DataSheet_DS0206X-E02B.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online DL2XY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 05:46:21 am »
How about that?

My FG502 generates a 10 MHz triangle wave with a 10 volts peak-to-peak amplitude, and that is before 5 volts of offset is applied making the output range is +/-10 volts.  So even with double termination, the entire range of 5 volt logic, or negative 5 volt logic if using ECL, is covered.

My 2 MHz function generators have the same output range.

That also means that my function generators can directly drive a power MOSFET through saturation and cutoff.

It due to limitation of scope input. At this frequencies its a must to use 50 \$\Omega\$ terminated inputs but 20Vpp would overload the internal  termination resistor.
Of course the AWG can do this.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 07:56:55 am »
How about that?

50Mhz sawtooth from SDG6052

SDG6052 uses DAC working at 2400 MHz

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 05:47:04 pm »
It due to limitation of scope input. At this frequencies its a must to use 50 \$\Omega\$ terminated inputs but 20Vpp would overload the internal  termination resistor.
Of course the AWG can do this.

I wonder how they designed their output amplifier then.  Of course modern instruments lack those details.  I am used to seeing modern function generators that only have half of the output range of my old ones.

I have been thinking of doing one using lots of smaller high frequency transistors in parallel, and maybe series to get the needed voltage range.  It is difficult to believe that 1+ GHz 35 volt PNP transistors used to be a stocked item.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 06:48:13 pm »
I wonder how they designed their output amplifier then. 

Something like this?

https://www.ti.com/product/THS3491
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 12:37:12 am »
I wonder how they designed their output amplifier then.

Something like this?

https://www.ti.com/product/THS3491

It cannot be with that maximum supply voltage limiting the output voltage range.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2021, 07:36:55 am »
Because of the limited voltage of fast OPs many RF outputs are limited in voltage / power.  With a +-15 V supply one may get up to some 20 V_pp into high impedance and thus 10 V_pp into a terminated output. This may still be sufficient to damage a sensitive Rf input  :-DD.

One can build an RF output amplifier with NPN transistors only - there is no absolute need for a PNP.

If one does not need operation down to DC, there is the option to use output transformers and than even those slightly higher current RF OPs are an option.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2021, 02:29:01 pm »
It cannot be with that maximum supply voltage limiting the output voltage range.

The op-amp I listed is actually used in function generators and can supply up to 28Vp-p with 32V total supply voltage.  This was used as an upgrade for the (in)famous FeelTech cheapo AWG.  TI actually has a reference design that parallels these for more power, I suppose they could be bridged as well.

The SDG6052 that was shown putting out nice 50MHz triangle waves probably uses something more expensive and exotic, but that is a $5000 unit with 500MHz bandwidth.  If I understand the spec correctly, it could put those 50MHz triangle waves out at 10Vp-p into a 50 ohm load.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2021, 07:36:12 pm »

The op-amp I listed is actually used in function generators and can supply up to 28Vp-p with 32V total supply voltage.  This was used as an upgrade for the (in)famous FeelTech cheapo AWG.  TI actually has a reference design that parallels these for more power, I suppose they could be bridged as well.

The SDG6052 that was shown putting out nice 50MHz triangle waves probably uses something more expensive and exotic, but that is a $5000 unit with 500MHz bandwidth.  If I understand the spec correctly, it could put those 50MHz triangle waves out at 10Vp-p into a 50 ohm load.

So it can.  Somehow I downloaded and then read the datasheet wrong.  And they show an application with two in parallel to provide a 50 ohm output.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 07:48:58 pm »

The SDG6052 that was shown putting out nice 50MHz triangle waves probably uses something more expensive and exotic, but that is a $5000 unit with 500MHz bandwidth.
Same HW as SDG6022X.  ;)

If I understand the spec correctly, it could put those 50MHz triangle waves out at 10Vp-p into a 50 ohm load.
No, 10V p-p to 20 MHz in Arb mode and 5V p-p from 20-50 MHz into 50 Ohm.
You need follow the subscript and check the condition where HiZ output is halved into 50 Ohm loads.

Using Wave Combine may provide for better output  drive but I haven't checked that.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf