Author Topic: Lower peak of wave form much thicker than the upper one in Rigol DS1104Z Plus  (Read 1230 times)

Offline 7AudioBBTopic starter

• Contributor
Can someone tell me why the bottom part of this square wave much thicker than the top? I'm using the built in 1kHz square wave source with a probe set to 10x. The wave is captured with the 'Auto' button. In YouTube other people don't seem to have this issue with the same type of oscilloscope when 'Auto' is pressed.  For some reason at a lower position all waves have a thicker line at the bottom. If I move the position to 0Volts, it looks normal. Why is this happening? Is it normal, or my (new) Oscilloscope has a problem? Please see the screenshot below:

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
If I move the position to 0Volts, it looks normal. Why is this happening? Is it normal, or my (new) Oscilloscope has a problem?

Not normal.  Try a self calibration, then test again.  If that doesn't fix it, return the oscilloscope and ask for a replacement or for a refund.

To run the self calibration, unplug all the probes from the front panel of the oscilloscope, leave the oscilloscope running like that for half an our (to get to thermal equilibrium), then press Utility -> Down arrow -> Self-Cal -> Start in order to start the self calibration.  Let it finish the procedure, it will take about 10-15 minutes or so, don't interact with the oscilloscope during self-calibration.

After it finishes (it will write a calibration complete message at the end), turn the oscilloscope off (from the power button), and on again.  Plug the probes, and check the square wave signal again.

The following users thanked this post: 7AudioBB

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
Is this also the case on other channels?

For some reason at a lower position all waves have a thicker line at the bottom. If I move the position to 0Volts, it looks normal.
You mean when you move the 0V position to the vertical center of the graticule? Because 0V is where the yellow arrow (on the left) is.

To be on the safe side, you could also reset the settings (I don't have a Rigol, I'm just guessing).

Function Inspection
1. Press Storage -> Default to restore the oscilloscope to its default configuration.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 10:07:54 am by Aldo22 »

Online Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
this happened before to another person. try getting a replacement. that's defective behaviour.

here's a link to the other person's thread

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/my-rigol-ds1054z-has-noise-and-beam-thickness-dependency-of-the-vertical-offset/

Offline Njk

• Regular Contributor

• Contributor
Okay, I've got some news. Thanks for all your comments!

I reset everything to default, then did the calibration and the restart, but the issue was still there and the same. With all probes in all channels and with the same probe in all channels too. Then I kept checking the menu and it turns out that when my Acquisition setting is set to 'Normal' I have that thick bottom part. But when I set it to 'High Res', it becomes nice and thin all around, regardless of position. Could this be due to the sample rate? Does this mean my scope is working fine? (Wondering what you set your Acquisition to in your oscilloscope?) Please see images below with 'Normal' vs 'High Res' mode:

• Contributor
I've just noticed that when I reduce Memory Depth to 120K in normal mode, the lines become equal as well. (see image).

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Then I kept checking the menu and it turns out that when my Acquisition setting is set to 'Normal' I have that thick bottom part. But when I set it to 'High Res', it becomes nice and thin all around, regardless of position. Could this be due to the sample rate? Does this mean my scope is working fine?

If you were trying to repair it, those observations would be helpful in tracking down what is actually wrong with it.  However, it does not change the fact that your new oscilloscope is broken.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
IIRC this is normal on the calibration signal.

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor

• Contributor
IIRC this is normal on the calibration signal.

It happens to any signal from a function generator as well. Also when the probe is not connected and just moving the vertical position, the line gets much thicker close to the bottom of the grid.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Okay, I've got some news. Thanks for all your comments!

I reset everything to default, then did the calibration and the restart, but the issue was still there and the same. With all probes in all channels and with the same probe in all channels too. Then I kept checking the menu and it turns out that when my Acquisition setting is set to 'Normal' I have that thick bottom part. But when I set it to 'High Res', it becomes nice and thin all around, regardless of position. Could this be due to the sample rate? Does this mean my scope is working fine? (Wondering what you set your Acquisition to in your oscilloscope?) Please see images below with 'Normal' vs 'High Res' mode:

It's a defective oscilloscope, you should return it to the seller.

• Contributor
Thanks everyone, I've started a return. I'm not sure I'm gonna get the same type again or even the same brand due to this disappointment. What I also didn't like is the very poor quality rotary encoders. You can't feel them click and they easily jump more than needed or skip one turn. You need to press them in hard as well to select items. Display resolution could be better too.

In case you can recommend a better quality one (with 4 channels and FFT ), please comment here. I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 05:14:53 pm by 7AudioBB »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Thanks everyone, I've started a return. I'm not sure I'm gonna get the same type again or even the same brand due to this disappointment. What I also didn't like is the very poor quality rotary encoders. You can't feel them click and they easily jump more than needed or skip one turn. You need to press them in hard as well to select items. Display resolution could be better too.

In case you can recommend a better quality one (with 4 channels and FFT ), please comment here. I'd appreciate it.

l

Take a look at Siglent SDS800

Offline dobsonr741

• Frequent Contributor
Wow, I would not expect it from Rigol. Are these sellers authorized distributors of Rigol, or perhaps EBay or alike, where factory reject might show up?

• Contributor
Wow, I would not expect it from Rigol. Are these sellers authorized distributors of Rigol, or perhaps EBay or alike, where factory reject might show up?

I bought it from Amazon as brand new. It arrived in the Rigol packaging. It wasn't even in an Amazon box like it supposed to and like others received it in YouTube videos. Not sure what happened but after all I'm not a big fan of Rigol 'quality'.

Offline dobsonr741

• Frequent Contributor
Amazon is just a fulfillment center for anyone want to sell. What does Rigol warranty status say, about your serial number, I’m curious: https://eu.rigol.com/eu/services/services/warranty-period

• Contributor
Amazon is just a fulfillment center for anyone want to sell. What does Rigol warranty status say, about your serial number, I’m curious: https://eu.rigol.com/eu/services/services/warranty-period

When I submit the serial number, I get a pop-up message saying: "Please enter a correct serial number".  :-\

Offline Njk

• Regular Contributor
I bought mine on ali. After two years in service, it suddenly refused to boot. I asked the seller about what to do. He gave me a contact to the local Rigol FAE. I'd e-mailed to the FAE and it was agreed that I'll send the broken scope for free repair. It took a considerable time for them to fix it because they'd to order the replacement part from China but finally I'd received the working scope back. Perhaps it'll make sense for you to find and contact the Rigol reps in your region.

• Contributor
I bought mine on ali. After two years in service, it suddenly refused to boot. I asked the seller about what to do. He gave me a contact to the local Rigol FAE. I'd e-mailed to the FAE and it was agreed that I'll send the broken scope for free repair. It took a considerable time for them to fix it because they'd to order the replacement part from China but finally I'd received the working scope back. Perhaps it'll make sense for you to find and contact the Rigol reps in your region.

I see. I've returned mine already. Probably gonna go for a Siglent next.

Online Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara

I see. I've returned mine already. Probably gonna go for a Siglent next.

the new siglent 800x HD series looks like it will become the new ~400$ standard. have you looked at those? they have a 12bit vertical resolution. rigol also released 12 bit scopes in that price range, and they seem to work fine, but they are just horribly ugly

• Contributor

the new siglent 800x HD series looks like it will become the new ~400$ standard. have you looked at those? they have a 12bit vertical resolution. rigol also released 12 bit scopes in that price range, and they seem to work fine, but they are just horribly ugly

Yes, these seem to be great, especially the SDS824X HD. Although as they are new, they don't have many reviews yet to see how they perform over some time of regular usage.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor

Yes, these seem to be great, especially the SDS824X HD. Although as they are new, they don't have many reviews yet to see how they perform over some time of regular usage.

What do you mean?

There is 20 times more material about details how it performs than Rigols that have been out for more than a year..

Performa01 wrote a veritable 100+ pages book about it:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/msg5293741/#msg5293741

You don't see bug reports because there is pretty much no bugs to mention .

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Yes, these seem to be great, especially the SDS824X HD.

And, like the DS1054Z, they are easily "upgraded" by the user, via unlock codes generated by a Python script. So you could buy the 804 or 814 model and upgrade it to 200 MHz bandwidth and 100 MPts memory later.

Each model does come with four probes which are only specified at the respective scope's bandwidth, but you may not need all four probes to be 200 MHz. (Even if you do, with the relatively large price step from the 814 to 824 you would be better off buying additional probes separately. And you could buy niver probes than the Siglents, which are ok but don't handle that well.)

• Contributor
Alright, thanks for the info. Didn't know they've been reviewed so much, also that you can just 'hack' them.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf