Author Topic: Made a battery for my DS1054Z - 20hr batt life  (Read 17883 times)

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Made a battery for my DS1054Z - 20hr batt life
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 05:17:55 pm »
Did it with my old Rigol once, worked perfect using a 4S Lipo.

Which old Rigol model ?

Looking at the older DS1000/DS1000E series PSU schematic you simply cannot do that :

"https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/rigol-ds1052e-nasty-surprise!/

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:19:29 pm by markone »

Offline nuno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 05:40:41 pm »
Nice, I like it  :-+
What is the current consumption on the battery side, have you measured it?

Offline Eheran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 08:21:08 pm »
Ive got 2x 18650 LiFePO4 18650M1A 4s1p packs (so very small) and one Li-Ion 18650PD (2900mAh) 8s1p pack. The later one is used to power a 70W small LED light as well as a 24V fan - both very handy items when camping (obviously the LED is only at ~1% in a tent). So i just put them all in series and get 60V, tho the "weak link" is one of the LiFePO4 packs with only 700mAh. That still lasts more then 2h, longer then everything i need off-grid, like cranking current of a car... if i would need it any longer i would just make another 8s1p Li-Ion Pack.
Why not just directly supplying 14V to the DSO and regulate it to 12V (as I think they are using as secondary voltage) and just skip the Primary voltage?
Jeah, with a dedicated DC input... that would be the ideal way.

Offline okashiraTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 04:31:49 am »
Nice, I like it  :-+
What is the current consumption on the battery side, have you measured it?

It was around 220mA IIRC? If I fully charged the packs, they would have ~6200 mAh capacity, so it could be good to more then 24 hours :-D

Offline okashiraTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 01:16:42 am »
Hi

If you had fun shorting things ... don't short those cell packs !!

Also keep in mind that one thing the line cord provides is a case ground. Without that, you can easily have a scope chassis that has enough voltage on it to kill you.

Bob

Ha! shorting these is no biggie.
Thanks for the advice. Do you think I should connect the battery negative to ground? Or how else to mitigate this without grounding to mains?

Since my question wasn't answered, I figured I would answer it myself.
Here is some of Tek's documentation in regards to using battery powered scopes:
http://in.tek.com/dl/3AW_19134_2_MR_Letter.pdf
http://www.tek.com/dl/51W_10640_1.pdf

Cliffs are - Stick to 42V P-P measurements when using a battery powered scope. Anything higher, add a ground strap to the case.
It's pretty conservative. I think one could keep it to ~80V P-P and be okay. Anything higher, and definitely ground the scope to mains ground.
I've built a few 20 series packs at ~80V and touched the leads. You can't even feel it unless you press hard. Danger comes when you hands are sweaty/have cuts on your skin.
If anyone wants a pack made, let me know. You could be the 2nd person to have a Tesla powered oscilloscope. :-D I have a few thousand cells sitting around...

Offline Emix

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2020, 03:05:36 pm »
I've read the two threads about battery powered DS1054Z and want to make my own soon.

Li-ion batteries and cells are my specialty, coming from the DIY ebike world. A 20S (72 V nominal) battery is easily done, but would it not be possible to feed the scope with battery power thru diodes (and fuse) straight into the PSU's primary side's capacitors, bypassing the rectifier bridge?
If this is feasible I could plug the 230 V power cord in and out as I see fit for the task at hand, making the switch from stationary to portable easy while keeping the power on. No current should run backwards into the battery leads, right?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf