Author Topic: Marconi 2042 RF Signal Generator teardown  (Read 1685 times)

Offline DK3BHTopic starter

Marconi 2042 RF Signal Generator teardown
« on: January 30, 2023, 08:02:25 pm »
Hello fellow Voltnuts,

I just stumbled upon an interesting bit of kit you also might be interested in to take a look inside.
I found it at a local used equipment seller: A Marconi 2042 Signal Generator with 10 kHz to 5,4 GHz Frequency range :)
The unit was in terrible condition. It was a bit dirty on the outside and serval screws were totally worn.
When I arrived at my flat, I realised when you moved the device around (which is kinda tricky since it weights around 20 KG), metallic clunking from the inside was audible.

Not a good start but the guy sold it to me for a good price and I remembered Daves teardown of a Marconi 2023 RF generator which drew my attention to RF magic back in the day ;)
And no worries, I took the pictures from the running unit after I removed the sound making extra inside :D

What made me happy are the operating hours. And we are talking about 1993 vintage by the looks of it.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster

Re: Marconi 2042 RF Signal Generator teardown
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 08:20:22 pm »
After removing the top cover I saw why that thing is that heavy:
The entire unit consists of two shielding trays, made out of machined aluminium, a linear power supply and a mechanical attenuator.
After removing the shielding plate a huge board of DIL IC madness was revealed.
The thing seems to be operated by a Intel 80186 processor. I was not expecting this amount of THT components tbh :)

The PLL section seems to consist of a gate array logic IC and a few components inside the shielding can in the lower left corner.

The main applications is stored inside good old classic EPROMs :)

In the middle the two Burr Brown DACs for the two independent modulators can be seen.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 08:22:06 pm by DK3BH »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 08:30:25 pm »
Unfortunately I found nothing loose, so I needed to remove the entire tray.
There are various small coax connectors all around and since the can is really heavy, its really easy to damage them.

After removal, a large linear power supply and the second RF tray can be seen.
The power supply features a large toroidal transformer with massive capacitors and bridge rectifiers mounted to the side of the chassis.
It all feels a bit over engineered and not really refined as some of the R&S and Advantest devices I torn apart so far.

The attenuator has its actuator coils totally exposed. But at least we can have a good look at them :)

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 08:36:58 pm »
At least I finally found the clunking noise: Its was coming from INSIDE the RF tray  |O
That tray has the logic board on one side, and the RF parts on the other side.
So, despite that nice looking "Caution, BeO components" sticker, I needed to take a look inside.

After a awful lot of phillips screws, the RF goodness was finally visible.
Also a surprising amount of THT components here (for a 5,4 GHz generator at least), but on the RF parts, you can only see SMD parts and distributed filter magic all around :)

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 08:47:28 pm »
And yeah, I also found some things you don't want to find inside your signal generator:
A few loose screws and an awful scratch across some of the interdigital distributed filters :palm:
So somebody definitely had a hack on that poor thing.

I removed the screws and reseated them were they belong (somewhere within the harmonic filter area).
The scratch didn't disconnect stuff within the filter area, but a few traces on the perimeter of the PCB were cut. I bridged them and hope for the best.
I keep you guys updated if I need to disassemble the poor thingy further or if there are any life signs (despite the display ;) )

Cheers,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf