Author Topic: Mastech MS5308 LCR meter with ESR measurement - on discount at the moment  (Read 152586 times)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Big it is , but the sheer size of it gives you a wide grin on your face everytime someone sees your LCR meter .

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
MS5308 large....NAH....My Wayne Kerr LCR meter is large, see attachments of similar units  ;D

These WK units are HUGE and gobble desk space. I am ashamed to say I have one in my lab right now, sitting on its tail up against a cabinet....its just too large and unwieldy to deploy on my desk tops. A wast I know, but in comparison, the MS5308 is positively compact  ;D Size is relative  ;)

Aurora
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:32:10 am by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
MS5308 large....NAH....My Wayne Kerr LCR meter is large, see attachments of similar units  ;D

These WK units are HUGE and gobble desk space. I am ashamed to say I have one in my lab right now, sitting on its tail up against a cabinet....its just too large and unwieldy to deploy on my desk tops. A wast I know, but in comparison, the MS5308 is positively compact  ;D Size is relative  ;)

Aurora

YES .  ;D

Offline LaurenceW

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Time, Jim, but not as we know it
Well, I think I might have got an insight as to where the SIZE of this MASTECH MS5308 came from, and the "odd" choice of battery compartment mouldings.

Probably the most expensive development cost for products of this type was the case tooling, which can run into thousands of dollars. So, if you can share tooling costs across products, so much the better.

Check out the Mastech MS7212.

http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/CalibratorMS7212f.htm

It is a "Process Calibrator" which is basically a multimeter, but has the ability to OUTPUT certain reference voltages, currents and suchlike. Guess what? It's in (very nearly) the same case.  Now, this device NEEDS two sets of batteries, so that it can both output a reference current and measure stuff, too, which the inputs and outputs are isolated, I dare say.

Also, this device has many more buttons, in keeping with its many more functions. That's fine, but that gave the designer of the 5308 with its fewer buttons a problem. How to position said buttons? The answer was to make them HUGE. On any PC keyboard, a large "enter" key sounds sensible - on the MS5308 it is a key that you may be hard pushed to ever, um, push.

Dave S. I hadn't really thought about "LCR Meter Envy" I shall try that, the next time me and a few friends are comparing capacitors...
If you don't measure, you don't get.

Offline zoltm

• Contributor
Curious if anyone heard anything about this latest device in the 100Khz handheld LCR scene?

This beast has color LCD and  touchscreen capability.

Offline muvideo

• Frequent Contributor
Curious if anyone heard anything about this latest device in the 100Khz handheld LCR scene?

This beast has color LCD and  touchscreen capability.

Given the name the touchscreen is a must :)

Do you know also the selling price?

Fabio.
Fabio Eboli.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline zoltm

• Contributor
I was told it's trending down the range of 250-300USD very quickly as it's to compete with other bunch of 100kHz handheld LCR meter.

in China it does cost only 350USD.

Offline zoltm

• Contributor
To share a number of the internal shoots.

It does NOT look like the typical 100KHz solution that based on the Cyrustek chipset. It looks like a FPGA based solution.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:03:55 pm by zoltm »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
To share a number of the internal shoots.

It looks like it's NOT a 100KHz solution that based on the Cyrustek chipset. It looks like a FPGA based solution.

Has the build quality of a non-china meter ... that is just awesome, it's the applent right ? The Tonghui(i think) kinds of reminds me of the UNI-T case design, the only weak point is the micro usb connector which can ingest dust, they should have used a soft rubber cover over the jack anyways

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
zoltm, that's not the Applent (ridiculous name) or Mastech in those pictures.  It's a Tonghui.

EDIT: Never mind, I was only looking at the top two pictures.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
I also downloaded the IET Labs DE5000 manual as that unit uses the same chipset so is basically the same but with a different front panel  ;) IET rewrote the manual to improve it. I attach the chipset data sheet. The IET DE5000 manual is available here:

http://www.ietlabs.com/de5000-lcr-meter.html

Kind Regards

Aurora

I just ordered a Mastech here
http://www.ebay.de/itm/MS5308-Portable-Handheld-LCR-Meter-RS232-100Khz-fit-FLUKE-dual-display-UK-ship-/220926501998

But the de5000 manual url on the ietlabs.com site is broken (at least for me)

Could someone upload it here or contact me ?

Edit: Oopz i tried the software url.
The manual url works here : http://www.ietlabs.com/pdf/Manuals/DE_5000_im.pdf

TIA

/Bingo

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:53:39 pm by bingo600 »

Offline The Electrician

• Frequent Contributor
A couple of deficiencies exhibited by the low cost LCR meters as I see it are the lack of adjustable drive level and too few measurement frequencies.  The older meter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Precision-885-Synthesized-In-Circuit-LCR-ESR-Meter-/190680646307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6573c2a3

has 3 different drive levels; one sufficiently low to avoid turning on semiconductor junctions.  This is the 10 kHz max version and sells new for around US$500.

There is a 100 kHz max version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Precision-886-Synthesized-In-Circuit-LCR-ESR-meter-/190681758749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6584bc1d

that goes for about US$700+.

Most of the 100 kHz capable meters seem to be up there in price.  I notice that a Chinese meter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCZ1062-1062-LCZ-Meter-LCR-Tester-LED-Display-Digital-Bridge-1V-200KHZ-/320914942343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab8056987

has shown up on eBay.  It's not hand held, but it's much more capable than the typical hand held with 100 kHz capability.  It has a 40 Hz to 200 kHz measurement range comprising 30 frequencies in that range, with 10 mV to 1 V drive level range and .1% basic accuracy.  It has the traditional 4 terminal interface and the image shows kelvin clips in use.

It costs US$594.99 with free shipping to the U.S.; this is not much more than a 100 kHz capable hand held unit.  This would be an astounding bargain if the performance is at all good.

It's not as capable as the very expensive instruments (Agilent, Wayne-Kerr, etc.) some of us have access to at work, but only US$600?  Wow!

edit:

Here's another one I just saw:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200KHZ-DIGITAL-BENCHTOP-LCR-RCL-LCZ-METER-TESTER-ESR-DC-BIAS-AXIAL-FIXTURE-/261020859321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cc60e3bb9

It's not as pretty, but appears to have similar capability and sells for about US$470, shipping not included.  Notice that it has provision to apply up to 35 volt bias.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:38:24 pm by The Electrician »

Offline Circuitous

• Supporter
    • Corgi-Tronics
Here's another one I just saw:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200KHZ-DIGITAL-BENCHTOP-LCR-RCL-LCZ-METER-TESTER-ESR-DC-BIAS-AXIAL-FIXTURE-/261020859321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cc60e3bb9

It's not as pretty, but appears to have similar capability and sells for about US$470, shipping not included.  Notice that it has provision to apply up to 35 volt bias.
Interesting.  I tried to find more info about this one but not a lot of luck.  I found a lot of references to Zentech, but no info.  It looks a lot like a Chroma unit.
http://www.chromaate.com/product/1061A_1062A_1075_Precision_LCR_Meter.htm

Anyone have opinions on the ebay unit?  Or, info about Zentech and Chroma?

Offline zoltm

• Contributor
Well talking about low cost an being able to measure at 100KHz range, today I found one from Taiwan called Lutron Electronic LCR-9184. My source offer me this at US$120. This is the lowest cost 100Khz handheld I have ever seen.

www.pedak.nl/Lutron/pdf/LCR-9184.pdf

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
They don't provide proper kelvin leads right ?
(The MS5308 and this one uses the same chipset as expected)

Everything is optional LOL

Offline nickolaszet

Hi..I read the topic but nobody say if ESR measure of MS5308 working in circuit (can you measure the cap from PCB or you must take it out first?.).And if you can , then measure and the capacity together with ESR in circuit.??

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
Not that I can afford it, but this one seems to be quite nice (I like bench units more than handhelds): http://www.tequipment.net/HiokiIM3523.html

Offline lister

Re: Mastech MS5308 LCR meter with ESR measurement - on discount at the moment
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2012, 11:35:57 pm »
Can anyone verify the accuracy of the Tonghui TH2822 meter? The vendor claims ESR is good to: 0.0001 ohm
I don't believe this number...
The new Agilent meter is good to: 0.001 ohm

I purchased the MS5308 recently and I'm not happy with it. I don't care about the size. I can only read ESR to 0.01 ohm though. I can get this quality with many other $100 ESR only meters. I should have read the MS5308 specs closer. I only need ESR and don't care about the other functions since I already have them on other meters.

Is anyone using this meter with low ESR caps or low IR battery cells/contacts? I have a lot of variance when measuring in the lower end of the scale <0.03 ohm. Most of my caps are <0.02 ohm, and my batteries are 0.002 to 0.003 ohm

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:40:31 pm by lister »

Offline jarvis

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2012, 02:31:37 am »
You could set function to Rs mode then it is 0.001ohm resolution

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2012, 03:31:55 am »
Can anyone verify the accuracy of the Tonghui TH2822 meter? The vendor claims ESR is good to: 0.0001 ohm

I purchased the MS5308 recently and I'm not happy with it. I don't care about the size. I can only read ESR to 0.01 ohm though. I can get this quality with many other $100 ESR only meters. I should have read the MS5308 specs closer. I only need ESR and don't care about the other functions since I already have them on other meters.

In my opinion, if you're working with low ESR caps for speed controllers, or want to try measuring low IR battery cells/contacts, the MS5308 meter is not suitable. I will likely return it.

Please don't jump to conclusions!

Offline lister

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2012, 05:35:28 am »

In my opinion, if you're working with low ESR caps for speed controllers, or want to try measuring low IR battery cells/contacts, the MS5308 meter is not suitable. I will likely return it.

Please don't jump to conclusions!

Well, that's why I was asking for confirmation, but I agree I should have phrased my question in a less accusatory tone. I was/am skeptical that the Tongui is more accurate than the new Agilent though, and was hoping someone that is familiar with both meters might be able to comment.

Offline lister

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2012, 05:47:09 am »
You could set function to Rs mode then it is 0.001ohm resolution

Thanks, that does give an extra digit. I just received the meter and only tested the Cs function since this was all I needed. It's an inconvenience to hop between functions when testing, but I can live with it.
The numbers I get from the two functions are close but the rounding rules are not followed. for example: Rs=0.047 shows ESR= 0.04
Both are taken at the same frequency, 100kHz
Is the ESR measurement equivalent to the Rs measurement but missing a digit to save screen space? I'm confused why they would truncate the reading...and the numbers have some variance

Offline lister

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2012, 11:56:17 pm »
Is anyone using this meter with low ESR caps or low IR battery cells/contacts? I have a lot of variance when measuring in the lower end of the scale <0.03 ohm. Most of my caps are <0.02 ohm, and my batteries are 0.002 to 0.003 ohm

I modified my post to be less opinionated, and provide more detail. Does anyone have any opinions about improving measurement at the scales I mentioned? I'll try a calibration this evening to to see if it helps. Attempting all options before returning...

Is ESR equivalent to Rs on the 5308 (except less a digit of precision)? I'm used to R from a multimeter, but R on the 5308 is impedance driven and seems to be the same as ESR.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf