Author Topic: Measuring small capacitance with KS34465A & TH2830  (Read 12008 times)

Offline rf-messkopf

• Regular Contributor
  • Mario H.
    • Homepage
Re: Measuring small capacitance with KS34465A & TH2830
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2021, 08:15:58 pm »
If you insert the capacitor into the fixture and watch the measurement, are the last two digits bouncing around?  Does the instrument have an averaging mode?  A measurement of a 1 pF capacitor at 1 kHz is near the limit of what a modern instrument can do.

You'll notice in the image of my Hioki's measurement of a 5 pF capacitor that just to the right of the measured quantities, there are two values labeled Vac and Iac.  These are the actual voltage applied to the DUT and the current through the DUT.  The value of Iac shown there (with 1 volt applied) is 31.85 nA (for a 1 pF capacitor this current would be about 7 nA).  That current must measured to calculate the capacitance.  As one can imagine, that small current is nearly buried in the front end noise of the instrument, and it's the difficulty of measuring it that leads to bouncing digits in the display.  Those bouncing digits are just a measurement of the instrument front end noise.

The fourth digit is definitely bouncing, the third digit varies around 5 to 7, so I'd say I get two and a half significant decimals out of this measurement.

The instrument was set to slow mode (1.5 readings per second). I guess the ADC will run faster, and it will do some averaging in that mode. But you can also set the meter up to do a user selectable number of averages.

The resolution of the Iac display of the HM8118 is limited to 1 nA, but I guess it will use more digits internally. As you can see from the picture posted above, the DUT voltage and current at 1 kHz are displayed as 1.105 V and 9 nA with the 1.2 pF cap.

Offline The Electrician

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2021, 09:36:31 pm »
If you insert the capacitor into the fixture and watch the measurement, are the last two digits bouncing around?  Does the instrument have an averaging mode?  A measurement of a 1 pF capacitor at 1 kHz is near the limit of what a modern instrument can do.

You'll notice in the image of my Hioki's measurement of a 5 pF capacitor that just to the right of the measured quantities, there are two values labeled Vac and Iac.  These are the actual voltage applied to the DUT and the current through the DUT.  The value of Iac shown there (with 1 volt applied) is 31.85 nA (for a 1 pF capacitor this current would be about 7 nA).  That current must measured to calculate the capacitance.  As one can imagine, that small current is nearly buried in the front end noise of the instrument, and it's the difficulty of measuring it that leads to bouncing digits in the display.  Those bouncing digits are just a measurement of the instrument front end noise.

The fourth digit is definitely bouncing, the third digit varies around 5 to 7, so I'd say I get two and a half significant decimals out of this measurement.

The instrument was set to slow mode (1.5 readings per second). I guess the ADC will run faster, and it will do some averaging in that mode. But you can also set the meter up to do a user selectable number of averages.

The resolution of the Iac display of the HM8118 is limited to 1 nA, but I guess it will use more digits internally. As you can see from the picture posted above, the DUT voltage and current at 1 kHz are displayed as 1.105 V and 9 nA with the 1.2 pF cap.

How many good digits are you getting at higher frequencies?

Offline rf-messkopf

• Regular Contributor
  • Mario H.
    • Homepage
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2021, 10:08:13 pm »
How many good digits are you getting at higher frequencies?

Just tried it at 100 kHz. I had switched off the meter in the meantime and it has only been warming up for 10 minutes or so. A couple of minutes after inserting the cap all four decimals are stable, with the last digit fluctuating by +/- 1 or 2. When I breathe on the test fixture the capacity jumps up by more than 0.04 pF and then slowly drifts down again. This measurement needs a controlled environment.  :)

DUT voltage and current are 167.7 mV and 139 nA.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline mawyattTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2021, 11:10:48 pm »
I wonder if the reason the sellers of clones of these fixtures claim 120 MHz performance is because they know that Keysight sells a lot of impedance measuring instruments like this: https://www.keysight.com/us/en/product/E4990A/impedance-analyzer-20-hz-10-20-30-50-120-mhz.html

and claiming 120 MHz performance seems like the thing to do!!  :)

Tonghui is claiming 120MHz!!

http://www.tonghui.com.cn/en/product_144.html

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2021, 09:05:21 am »
Great to see internal photos of a few other variants to see how much little they differ.  It is weird that Tonghui sell 3 different models, but there are slight mechanical differences that are possibly needed in certain use cases.

Only one of the end brackets is swaged in Kean's picture (the one on the right; why only one?); the other uses machine screws and nuts.  Etc.

It is interesting to note that the same mix of swaged and normal nuts exist on the R&S/Hameg one posted by rf-messkopf.  I was thinking it must be something to do with assembly process if they have both styles of brackets at hand.  And yes, it is because the newer (A/B) versions use welded studs on that side, so nuts are necessary.

It could be interesting to hook it up to a VNA and how it performs at higher frequencies.  I'll never actually use it above 5MHz so I don't think I'll bother.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 10:21:14 am by Kean »

Offline rf-messkopf

• Regular Contributor
  • Mario H.
    • Homepage
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2021, 07:18:26 pm »

I tried that real quick with a VNA, just for the fun of it. :)

There are various options to hook up the test fixture to a VNA: grounding one end of the fixture and connecting the other end to the center conductor of a port (one-port shunt), or in series between two ports, or in a shunt configuration between two ports.

I opted for the one-port shunt configuration since it is the easiest to set up and it is best for impedances around 50 Ohms. So the right connector of the fixture was connected to a BNC short, and left one to the VNA port. Then full one-port OSM calibration was done in the fixture. As a match standard I used a 47 Ohms 0805 resistor. I did not go to the effort to tell the analyzer to correct for the discrepancy between 47 Ohms and 50 Ohms (open, short and match were assumed all assumed to be ideal), so that displayed values will be off by a few percent (impedances will read about about 6 percent low).

I tested the same 1.2 pF 0805 C0G cap as yesterday (capacitor-1p2.png). I got reasonable results although the whole matter is a bit touchy. You can see that the S_22 magnitude is above 0 dB at some frequencies. This is clearly a repeatability issue of the setup (slightly more losses when the cal standards were connected than during the measurement). On the other hand, we are at 0.005 dB/div here. I get a capacitance reading of about 1.2 pF up to 120 MHz. The LCR bridge measured about 1.3pF, but keep in mind that there is a systematic error involved (a quick calculation shows that this is roughly the expected discrepancy).

Next I tried a 1 nF 0805 X7R cap (capacitor-1n.png). This is less touchy than the 1.2 pF one, but again, the capacitance is reading systematically too low.

Finally I connected a TDK MPZ2012S102AT000 ferrite bead, intended for supply voltage filtering, in a 0805 package and with 1 kOhms impedance at 100 MHz (ferrite-bead.png). The impedance is just as expected, and it is nice and lossy.

As a sanity check I re-connected the 47 Ohms resistor used for calibration (load.png).

Depending on the DUT impedance a different connection of the test fixture might be better, and one could improve on calibration. But I would say they are not lying about the 120 MHz frequency range of that fixture when used and calibrated properly.

Edit: I repeated the calibration several times when I took these measurements. As you can see, the cal it a bit off in the measurement of the 1 nF cap since S_22 is almost at +0.2 dB at some frequencies. You really have to be careful about the calibration.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 07:26:14 pm by rf-messkopf »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, mawyatt

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
    • webx.dk private hobby and diy stuff
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2021, 05:31:43 pm »
about cheap kelvin leads from ebay:

https://youtu.be/Ffd583jwjpM

look what I got today :-)
the total cost was about 11$
so as always, you get what you pay for, the kelvin clips works fine, nice and sharp and stable.
Radioamateur OZ2CPU, Senior EE at Prevas
EMC RF SMPS SI PCB LAYOUT and all that stuff.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2021, 06:02:55 pm »
about cheap kelvin leads from ebay:

https://youtu.be/Ffd583jwjpM

look what I got today :-)
the total cost was about 11$
so as always, you get what you pay for, the kelvin clips works fine, nice and sharp and stable.

I have these, or something similar. They work OK and give good readings on DMMs compared to the OEM Tonghui ones (TH26011CS) that come with the LCR Meter. The OEMs ones use a type Kelvin clip I haven't been able to find, they are really quite nice. Also built some Kelvin probes with the smaller clips you find on eBay, they also work OK and give good results with DMMs..

Even the cheap SMD Kelvin tweezers work OK, but the OEM Tonghui TH26009B are much easier to use and get a stable, accurate, repeatable reading.

Measuring small capacitance is difficult with usual Kelvin probes, the tweezers are better since the connection terminals and cabling are somewhat fixed, of course the best is the special SMD fixtures where everything is fixed except the moveable plunger.

Best,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 06:08:58 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: oz2cpu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2021, 01:30:05 am »
Just received the SMA fixture from eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174970844194

Ordered on 25th and received 28th!!!

This fixtures wasn't packed well and not anywhere near as well made as the Tonghui Fixtures, so doubt this is from the supplier for Tonghui if there is one. The lid doesn't fit properly and the inside is ground down so it will fit, the interior wiring is OK except they didn't heat the heat shrink tubing!! The lever arm was very loose and wobbly, so much for QC :P

Anyway, after some minor fixing work the fixture was mounted, it does fit the TH2830 nicely. Did a fixture calibration of Open and Short and checked some SMD components in 0603, 0805, and 1206 sizes. Have some 0.1% low TC SMD resistors which we measured, and a few SMD NPO/COG capacitors. Removed the fixture and reinstalled it then did another Open/Short cal and got good agreement with the previous measurements. Results were good and showed good repeatability, the fixture seems stable enough for our intended use.

Anyway, I'll do more tests and compare to DMM later, but for now this seems like a good addition to the TH2830, and certainly easier than using the Kelvin Tweezers. It's about $110, so ~$100 less than the OEM Tonghui.

Best,

~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Kean, 2N3055

Offline The Electrician

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2021, 04:32:16 am »
A few days ago I checked the link I posted earlier: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312&_nkw=smd+test+fixture&_sacat=181939

There were 37 posts with that fixture for sale.  Interestingly, every one (I checked them all) said that the item location was in Chino, California.  I suspect they are all the same person with an Asian supplier, perhaps a knockoff supplier.  I ordered one yesterday, and it's supposed to be next Tuesday.  I'll compare it to the one I bought from Meiruike.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2021, 01:12:03 pm »
That's the link I used to find the fixtures, yes there were a bunch of similar sites. Must say that the measurement repeatability has been good after a proper calibration. To get a really good "Open" calibration you need to space the plunger exactly the same space between ends as length of the SMD you are measuring for small capacitance values, for larger capacitance values this spacing isn't as critical. Obviously this is correcting for the fringe end capacitance from the plunger, and thus the distance between ends is important.

Just did another quick check after a 30 minute warm up and then calibration, good agreement in measurements from last night. So this fixture is a keeper  ::)

Best
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Kean, 2N3055

Offline rf-messkopf

• Regular Contributor
  • Mario H.
    • Homepage
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2021, 02:06:43 pm »

The Tonghui fixture which stood as a model for that one actually seems to be a knock-off of a HP 16034E test fixture:

https://microprecision.com/de/calibration/keysight-16034e-test-fixture/.

Keysight still sells them, for 1592 Euros plus tax:

https://www.datatec.de/keysight-16034e-zubehoer-lcr-meter.

They claim a useful frequency range up to 40 MHz.  :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2021, 05:10:36 pm »

The Tonghui fixture which stood as a model for that one actually seems to be a knock-off of a HP 16034E test fixture:

https://microprecision.com/de/calibration/keysight-16034e-test-fixture/.

Keysight still sells them, for 1592 Euros plus tax:

https://www.datatec.de/keysight-16034e-zubehoer-lcr-meter.

They claim a useful frequency range up to 40 MHz.  :)

Certainly looks similar. Maybe Tonghui copied this from HP/AG/KS or maybe they are an OEM supplier?

Anyway, happy with the cheap eBay copy version, it's performance is OK so far. No serious complaints except the poor QC and poor lid fitting, also the shipment wasn't packed well.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2021, 03:32:44 pm »
batteryfly got 10% off this november
just worth mention, the rebate code is easy to find on their webpage
just orderen my unit :-) and the smd fixture

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2021, 07:13:07 pm »
Bonjour just seeing this long thread now.

The OP should kindly inform us his goal, and specs he seeks eg 0.3 +/- 0.01 pF or 1000 pf +/- 1 pF etc.

It seems the OP is confusing the accuracy and resolution of the various meters.

We have a lot of experience in this problem, as the transformer P-S capacitance is critical in some applications.

The setting of test freq and stability of the lead/test fixture cfg is critical at small C

Values we spec are 0.3 pF, 3 pF and 10 pF.

We have used:

TEK 130 LC meter  (1960s, valves/tubes, analog, very wide lead comp range)
HP 4232A RLC meter (analog, down  to 1 pF FS)
HP 4275A LCR bridge (select F to 10 MHz)
HP 4195A 500 MHz network/spectrum analyzer. (100 kHz-500 MHz)

The latter has an  Impedance adapter test set and many SMD and thru hole adapters. All use APC-5 connectors

Sorry but we have never used Chinese equipment and canot recommend  "SMD tweezers" for these small C.

Just the ramblings of an old retired EE

Bon Chance,

Jon

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2021, 09:01:21 pm »
Bonjour just seeing this long thread now.

The OP should kindly inform us his goal, and specs he seeks eg 0.3 +/- 0.01 pF or 1000 pf +/- 1 pF etc.

It seems the OP is confusing the accuracy and resolution of the various meters.

Being the OP if you bothered to read the original post you would find that the goal was to help bin components and ratios of components, and we understand accuracy and resolution quite well thank you, do you ;)

We got caught up with the component worldwide shortage and had to redesign multiple times to accommodate available components on a major ongoing project (this is not a hobby project or a refurb effort, but a very complex advanced effort leading towards a full custom chip development), and thus had to resort to "matching" components :(

We have a lot of experience in this problem, as the transformer P-S capacitance is critical in some applications.

The setting of test freq and stability of the lead/test fixture cfg is critical at small C

Values we spec are 0.3 pF, 3 pF and 10 pF.

Agree fixtures are critical for stable and repeatable small C measurements as mentioned in the various posts above.

Sorry but we have never used Chinese equipment and canot recommend  "SMD tweezers" for these small C.

The use of the "tweezers" and "Chinese" equipment was also stated clearly in the original posts. As stated "out of curiosity" which in this context means "give it a try with what you have available" was to see how well the Keysight 34465A and newly acquired DMM6500 agreed with the TH2830 on capacitance measurements since these instruments used entirely different measurement techniques, which is the "curiosity" aspect of the statement.

Do agree that measuring small capacitances with the 2 wire tweezers is difficult at best and better left to those that know what they are doing. However the 4 wire tweezers from Tonghui work quite well indeed and have the forearms shielded up to the tips so hand capacitance is minimized. They are supplied with a calibration fixture which allows a proper short and open for a given SMD device size, easily achieving below 100ff repeatability, but not as good as the proper solid SMD fixture as mentioned above.

So I would not discount all "Chinese" equipment and all SMD "tweezers" unless you have actually taken the time to study and had some "hands on" before forming an opinion, some are quite good indeed, challenging the "A" tiers :-+

BTW was retired, now consulting ???

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2021, 03:50:57 pm »
a lot of people recommend batterfly as the place to go, for the TH2830
I did place my other, 6th nov, and they took the money right away 6th nov,
but then, all i hear is item is not stocked, and no confirmed delivery time..
and that only came when i asked for it,
so i am getting a bit nervous, it is quite a lot of money,
where i come from it is not normal or legal to take the money, before pack and shipment.
do I need : patience and just be happy ?
or do I need to take actions with my bank ?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2021, 07:25:27 pm »
a lot of people recommend batterfly as the place to go, for the TH2830
I did place my other, 6th nov, and they took the money right away 6th nov,
but then, all i hear is item is not stocked, and no confirmed delivery time..
and that only came when i asked for it,
so i am getting a bit nervous, it is quite a lot of money,
where i come from it is not normal or legal to take the money, before pack and shipment.
do I need : patience and just be happy ?
or do I need to take actions with my bank ?

I never had problems with them. I'm not glad to hear that. Thank you for sharing. I would contact them and ask them for refund if they cannot at least confirm deliver date. Maybe that will wake them up. I don't mind long delivery if that was agreed from the start. This, I would not be happy...

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2021, 07:30:20 pm »
i allready asked them...
I dont mind waiting, sometimes stuff just have long delivery times.
but it is not cool to pull the money from the customer from day 1
that is what makes me a bit.. you know..
UPDATE : it is here.. i am happy again
just learned about the avarage feature, very usefull to use the last 1-2 digits, now they got stable
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 09:14:01 pm by oz2cpu »

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2021, 07:37:36 pm »
now i play with my TH2830
i realize its DC ohm range is just amazing specially when combined with avarage.
And then looking into a few experiments just to get familiar with its features,
NOW the funny thing : DCR is NOT performed at DC !! nope, it is pulsed
so you get different results when you measure resistance on very inductive things

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2021, 10:16:44 pm »
Some other meters also measure resistance with a pulsed (more like 50% on/off), when in offset compensated mode. This is kind of the only way to suppress thermal EMF at the DUT.

Resistance with highly inductive parts can be tricky - in this case one should turn of auto-scale and offset compensation. It can still fail in rare cases.

The following users thanked this post: oz2cpu

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2021, 10:45:10 pm »
i tried all possible settings, in DCR it just will not measure DC,
I understand the smart move by using pulsed, forward and reverse, and perform delta,
but the timing is just done critical, this means some resistors, wirewound, will read quite a lot off,
while others measure spot on.

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2022, 05:55:49 pm »
i am so sad, my brand new Tonghui TH2830 LRC meter is not working

https://youtu.be/dMFn2-613Q4

please tell me how to reset this ?

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2022, 07:21:28 pm »
This could be soemthing like a totally off calibration factor. There is a thrird compensation point for "load" - this could be a kind of scale factor calibration, that may be accidentially used.
It would definitely be a good idea to have a look at the manual, if this may need to done with a suitable test unit.

Normally there should be some warning when changing to calibration factor, with possibly a calibrated setting and a user defined setting, but this should ideally clearly show on the screen.

A point one could check would be to have a look at the test waveform. So have somerhing like the 1 K resistor and than use a scope to see if the voltage at one side of the resistor makes sense, especiall if the waveform is a reasonable qualtity sine and not distorted.

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2022, 07:59:04 pm »
manual do not explain what "load" is
and the load feature is off, this means as far as i guess, it dont compensate for anything like that

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf