Author Topic: MicroAmps Meter Selection  (Read 3856 times)

Offline sylvainssiriTopic starter

• Supporter
MicroAmps Meter Selection
« on: July 27, 2021, 11:41:59 pm »
Hi everyone!
I am looking into buying a multimeter for the microamps measurement of a flame ionization rod, and an ultra violet scanner that goes on burners. So far, the Fluke 116 seems like my best bet, since it is high impedance, which I believe is what I need because of the high voltage on those. I did notice three of Dave's meters have microamps too: the BM786, BM235, and 121GW. Would one of those be a better fit for my purpose? I was not able to answer the question by myself, hence why I decided to ask more knowledged people.
Do note, that I did my research on the forum before posting. The only post I could find directly related is: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/micro-amp-meter/msg661641/#msg661641       But it does not answer my question. Also note that I will be using the meter outside, summer, and winter, inside and outside, on big, and small burners. So the meter will be subject to some temperature extremes.

Thanks in advance!
Sylvain

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: MicroAmps Meter Selection
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 04:52:48 am »
If you are measuring current, it's most desirable to have as low an impedance as possible for the measuring device so as not to disturb the circuit unduly.

I have no idea of the parameters involved, so can't comment regarding suitability of any particular instrument.  One would need to know the waveshape, frequency components, type of measurement required, etc.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 06:47:46 am »
For very small currents with not to much need for accuracy one can use the 200 mV range on a meter with 10 M input impedance. It effective acts as a 20 nA current range too. So 100 pA per mV from the 10 M input resistance used as a shunt.
This may be all it takes for the low range currents if one can accept a few percent of uncertainty in the scale factor.

Offline ace1903

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 07:53:01 am »
Most European flame checkers limit resistance of instrument to 5kohm. One can check documentation of LFL1.333 LME11 ...
Don't know which controllers are used in Canada  but think that similar limit can be expected.
For my needs I made checker according schematic that is shown in datasheet for those controllers.
Capacitor and analog meter. In systems with blowers ionization current can have changing component so analog meter smoot measurement  much  better.
One is interested in "average" current. Some digital meters sample current in 3-5 samples per seconds and readings can look like lottery drawing.
I found solution with dedicated meter only for ionization measurement most practical one.
Yes scale is not directly in uA but for me if needle is in left half of the scale  means that I need to do something about the electrode or to adjust air to  get correct lambda.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 10:26:07 am »
Almost any meter will be able to do this (so long as it has uA).

Hi everyone!
I am looking into buying a multimeter for the microamps measurement of a flame ionization rod, and an ultra violet scanner that goes on burners. So far, the Fluke 116 seems like my best bet, since it is high impedance, which I believe is what I need because of the high voltage on those.

Voltage doesn't matter when you're measuring current and you want the lowest possible impedance on the current range.

(Ohms  law...)

I've measured current 21kV on a laser tube using a $13 multimeter.

Also note that I will be using the meter outside, summer, and winter, inside and outside, on big, and small burners. So the meter will be subject to some temperature extremes.

Again, that's not really a problem. Most meters will survive bigger temperature extremes than the operator.

So... pick a meter that makes you happy. Fluke 116 is good, as are the Brymens you mention.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 11:36:42 am »
For very small currents with not to much need for accuracy one can use the 200 mV range on a meter with 10 M input impedance. It effective acts as a 20 nA current range too. So 100 pA per mV from the 10 M input resistance used as a shunt.
This may be all it takes for the low range currents if one can accept a few percent of uncertainty in the scale factor.

Just make sure the meter is actually 10 megohms on the 200 millivolt, or even 2 volt, range.  Most modern autoranging multimeters are about 9 megohms on their most sensitive range but some are 3 megohms or 100 megohms.

Offline sylvainssiriTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 10:25:34 pm »
Most European flame checkers limit resistance of instrument to 5kohm. One can check documentation of LFL1.333 LME11 ...
Don't know which controllers are used in Canada  but think that similar limit can be expected.
For my needs I made checker according schematic that is shown in datasheet for those controllers.
Capacitor and analog meter. In systems with blowers ionization current can have changing component so analog meter smoot measurement  much  better.
One is interested in "average" current. Some digital meters sample current in 3-5 samples per seconds and readings can look like lottery drawing.
I found solution with dedicated meter only for ionization measurement most practical one.
Yes scale is not directly in uA but for me if needle is in left half of the scale  means that I need to do something about the electrode or to adjust air to  get correct lambda.

The LFL1 is actually one of several I want to measure in my day to day work. Fireyes, and Honeywells too.
Thing is, unless I put the meter in low-z mode, it will be around 10 M ohm impedance. But then, it will not be in reading microamps.

Ill check locally what they can have, either brand. I looked online, and so far with shipping and all, they all come close to the same price.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 01:12:21 am »
I am looking into buying a multimeter for the microamps measurement of a flame ionization rod, and an ultra violet scanner that goes on burners. So far, the Fluke 116 seems like my best bet, since it is high impedance, which I believe is what I need because of the high voltage on those. I did notice three of Dave's meters have microamps too: the BM786, BM235, and 121GW. Would one of those be a better fit for my purpose? I was not able to answer the question by myself, hence why I decided to ask more knowledged people.

The Fluke 116 current range is explicitly designated for measuring ion flame sensors, so it should be good.  It does have an impedance of 3-4kohms, but the microamp ranges of most DMMs will be pretty high, often as much as 10k.  It is also fully protected against any conceivable overload.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 06:54:59 am »
8 posts and no details what exact currents are in question.. Just speculations.

To me it looks like ANY meter that has 400-600uA range will do the work.
Just pick a brand you trust and go with it.

Fluke 116 is marketed as HVAC meter and it's 600 uA range is mentioned for flame sensor measurements.

Even small Brymen 27 (pocket one) has  also Lo-Z mode and 600uA range.

It is also fully protected against any conceivable overload.

I'm curious what might that mean: does it mean that you can put it in uA mode and try to measure 240V AC and nothing is going to happen ?

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 07:12:22 am »

I'm curious what might that mean: does it mean that you can put it in uA mode and try to measure 240V AC and nothing is going to happen ?

Probably, in some meters with only a uA range it is using same protection as the ohms range (PTC and transistor clamp), i.e. it can handle 240VAC. This protection also means the resistance is a few kOhm instead of the more common 100ohm for the range.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 08:18:02 am »

Probably, in some meters with only a uA range it is using same protection as the ohms range (PTC and transistor clamp), i.e. it can handle 240VAC. This protection also means the resistance is a few kOhm instead of the more common 100ohm for the range.
I agree, but my problem is with the word "probably".
It would be very nice to know exactly which ones are which. It would be very useful to people that work on this kind od work.

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 08:37:19 am »

It would be very nice to know exactly which ones are which. It would be very useful to people that work on this kind od work.

The Fluke 116 do not specify any fuse or special limits for uA range, only limit specified is 600VAC, i.e. this do also apply to the uA range (With Fluke it is safe to read the specifications that way).

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 09:19:43 am »

You'll end up with a bill for a replacement fuse but nothing should happen apart from that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:36:06 am by Fungus »

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 09:23:07 am »

You'll end up with a bill for a replacement fuse but nothing should happen apart from that.

There is no fuse, but a PTC.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 09:33:02 am »
There is no fuse, but a PTC.

Oh, duh! I hadn't looked at the exact model.  :palm: Post edited.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:36:25 am by Fungus »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 10:17:56 am »

The Fluke 116 do not specify any fuse or special limits for uA range, only limit specified is 600VAC, i.e. this do also apply to the uA range (With Fluke it is safe to read the specifications that way).

My experience is that EXACTLY with the likes of Fluke, it is NOT safe to read specification any other way than corporate lawyers thought when they gave final edit on the specification documents.

Anything that is explicitly stated in a document will be exactly like that, or better, with some safety margin. Anything that is NOT explicitly stated is not guaranteed or implied in any way.
They (being THE Fluke) will protect instruments beyond basic specifications  because more robust instruments  generally means less problems for the manufacturers and goodwill from users (of course, if the cost to do so is not prohibitive).
But if it is not explicitly stated, i would not RELY on it. Even if you independently characterize it for higher specs and/or protection, that is only valid for current batch and current model. New batch can have any number of changes on any part of instrument and it's characteristics in all parts not strictly specified...

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 10:43:31 am »
My experience is that EXACTLY with the likes of Fluke, it is NOT safe to read specification any other way than corporate lawyers thought when they gave final edit on the specification documents.

Flukes safety information is very clear on the 116:
Do not apply more than the rated voltage, as marked on Meter, between terminals or between any terminal and earth ground.

And both the meter and the specifications says 600V

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 12:14:12 pm »

Flukes safety information is very clear on the 116:
Do not apply more than the rated voltage, as marked on Meter, between terminals or between any terminal and earth ground.

And both the meter and the specifications says 600V

"Caution" statement identifies conditions and actions that could damage the Meter or the equipment under test.
To avoid possible electric shock or personal injury, follow these guidelines:
Use the Meter only as specified in this manual or the protection provided by the Meter might
be impaired
• Do not use the Meter or test leads if they appear damaged, or if the Meter is not operating
properly.
Always use proper terminals, switch position, and range for measurements.
• Verify the Meter's operation by measuring a known voltage. If in doubt, have the Meter
serviced.
• Do not apply more than the rated voltage, as marked on Meter, between terminals or
between any terminal and earth ground.

So reading that, I can only see that you shouldn't apply more than 600V when measuring VOLTS.
So,  if you connect 600V source  with no current limit  to the meter contrary to the proper measurement procedure in manual to a wrong setting of uA, then all bets are off..

All they guarantee is safety according to :
Complies with ANSI/ISA 82.02.01 (61010-1) 2004,
CAN/CSA-C22.2 No 61010-1-04, UL 6101B (2003) and
IEC/EN 61010-1 2nd Edition for measurement Category III,
600 V, Pollution Degree 2, EMC EN61326-1

Which mostly means it won't kill you but they don't even mention if  it gets nonfunctional...

Don't get me wrong, it might as well be that it would routinely survive 600V on uA range, it's just Fluke carefully avoided making any promises it would.. Which is suspicious because that would be great bragging point...

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 02:01:42 pm »

Yes.  There are only two terminals, no separate current circuit, and you can put up to 600 volts on those terminals in any range--including microamps, ohms, capacitance, etc--and the meter will not be damaged.  It does use the same PTC as the Lo-Z function. 

As for Fluke and specs, one interesting tidbit on the Fluke 116 is that it is CAT III/600V, but there is no CAT IV rating, not even for 300V as you might expect.  Apparently the very first version had CAT IV/300V, or at least it appeared in some documents if not on the meters. 

As for what Fluke "guarantees" in their specs, I don't think many manufacturers are going to write manuals inviting wanton abuse.  That said, it seems pretty clear that this meter was designed for HVAC techs so that they could use it normally without worrying that an errant probing accident would kill their meter--and it won't.  I haven't yet seen a Fluke meter from the modern era that wasn't fully protected in all ranges from the voltage stated on the front panel, whether by fuses or otherwise.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf