Author Topic: Micsig Current Probe CP2100A/B Tests and Comparing  (Read 34981 times)

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Micsig Current Probe CP2100A/B Tests and Comparing
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2020, 01:46:02 am »
Down to 45 units already

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2020, 02:19:43 am »
I got one, declined card, paid with paypal, then it said it didn't go through, then finally it said the order is processing so I can't submit it.
Hope for the best!

I have a new Stripe credit card option, a couple of cards have failed since I started it, no idea why, that's a Stripe thing.
There are no pending orders, so yours must be in there.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2020, 04:09:33 am »
38 left.   :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline kahuna0k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2020, 04:17:51 am »
Got one, paid with Sripe and the transaction went through without problems (Mastercard). By the way I paid with Stripe because I suppose that the fees are better than PayPal, is that true? What payment method should we choose to maximize your profit?

The following users thanked this post: djadeski

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2020, 04:42:01 am »
Got one, paid with Sripe and the transaction went through without problems (Mastercard). By the way I paid with Stripe because I suppose that the fees are better than PayPal, is that true? What payment method should we choose to maximize your profit?

PayPal is 2.4%, stripe is 3.2%. I just offer both for convenience.

Offline Serpent10i

« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2020, 04:49:45 am »
The stripe USD to AUD conversion was more favorable for me. 535.38 AUD turned into 400 USD to for paypal and but only 385 USD with stripe(and Visa). I didn't know their fees were higher :(
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:00:09 am by Serpent10i »

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2020, 05:22:05 am »
The stripe USD to AUD conversion was more favorable for me. 535.38 AUD turned into 400 USD to for paypal and but only 385 USD with stripe(and Visa). I didn't know their fees were higher :(

Stripe apparently uses the forex spot price.. PayPal wants a foreign transaction fee

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2020, 05:28:08 am »

International paypal?

https://www.ebayfeescalculator.com/au-paypal-calculator/

has it at 3.6

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2020, 05:53:37 am »

Wow, that's significant.
I buy in USD but sell in AUD for various reasons so either have to keep adjusting my prices as the exchange rate changes, or win/lose as it fluctuates. So that US$365 price in AUD equivalent is just what xe.com told me today.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2020, 06:00:10 am »
International paypal?
has it at 3.6

I just checked and it is 3.65%
I must be confusing it with something else.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2020, 06:02:11 am »
International paypal?
has it at 3.6

I just checked and it is 3.65%
I must be confusing it with something else.

Ah, 2.6% for Australia

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2020, 06:04:43 am »
I'm glad I went with the convenience option (PayPal One-Touch) then if you got an extra few bucks out of it.  I considered using Stripe as I thought it might have lower fees.

(Edit because I can't speel)

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2020, 06:21:22 am »
Are the sensors accessible to read off the part number? I don't think this probe use a hall effect sensor, hall sensors don't have the bandwidth.

They most likely use a TMR sensor made by Multi Dimension, something like this: https://www.aecsensors.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Magnetic-Tunnelling-Magnetoresistive-(TMR)-Linear-Sensors/pdfs/TMR2503-Datasheet-EN-V1.0.pdf

I am unsure why they use two sensors. My best guess would be that the outputs are summed to improve SNR or to reduce the impact of stray magnetic field.

Looks like the design is a basic analog front end with a microcontroller for the user interface and auto zeroing, pretty similar to the current probe I am designing based on a higher bandwidth AMR sensor.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Elasia

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2020, 06:52:13 am »
Are the sensors accessible to read off the part number? I don't think this probe use a hall effect sensor, hall sensors don't have the bandwidth.

I think I'd have to crack it open somehow, seems glued in place.
Two 4 pin SIP packages, one marked 8877, the other one not marked, possibly mounted backwards.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:56:24 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2020, 07:45:53 am »
The sensors

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Elasia, Martin72

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2020, 10:53:03 am »
Thanks for opening one up and taking the photos Dave, I'll be telling work to buy one but 99% chance they sit on it until you're sold out.

Any chance that you can check the gain that the AD8421 is running at? Should be as simple as measuring the resistance between pins 2 and 3 of the IC. I assume that the relay will change gains (hence the two trimpots) but should be easy enough to tell what the default gain is - it'll be the startup gain if the relay doesn't click on power-up, or the other one if it does.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2020, 10:57:30 am »
20 sold so far.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2020, 11:52:38 am »

They most likely use a TMR sensor made by Multi Dimension, something like this: https://www.aecsensors.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Magnetic-Tunnelling-Magnetoresistive-(TMR)-Linear-Sensors/pdfs/TMR2503-Datasheet-EN-V1.0.pdf

I am unsure why they use two sensors. My best guess would be that the outputs are summed to improve SNR or to reduce the impact of stray magnetic field.

Looks like the design is a basic analog front end with a microcontroller for the user interface and auto zeroing, pretty similar to the current probe I am designing based on a higher bandwidth AMR sensor.

wow i had no idea tmr sensors are now mass produced, thats wild... i'll have to remember this nugget now..

Offline Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2020, 07:53:06 pm »
Full album here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eevblog/albums/72157715635511053

Uses an AD8421 inamp on the front end with dual hall effect sensors and relay switching.

Micsig CP2100B Current Probe Teardown by Dave Jones, on Flickr

Still I can´t believe they´re so cheap to buy - Even when this clamp would costs three times more, the value for money would still be great.
Wow, just wow.

I wonder what the differences between the 800khz and 2Mhz versions are...and where.

Edit:

Quote from: EEVblog
Not sure if I'll bother to carry the CP2100A model?

Why not, it got the same incredible quality and with appx 200 buck it would be more affordable.
Looking for other brands, you won´t find 800khz bw under 1000 bucks and more.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:58:26 pm by Martin72 »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2020, 09:57:52 pm »
I got one, declined card, paid with paypal, then it said it didn't go through, then finally it said the order is processing so I can't submit it.
Hope for the best!

I have a new Stripe credit card option, a couple of cards have failed since I started it, no idea why, that's a Stripe thing.
There are no pending orders, so yours must be in there.

:-+

Stripe failed me, but PayPal worked a treat. Thanks Dave!

I'm excited to get my hands on something that approaches thousands of dollars of value for so much less.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2020, 10:00:17 pm »
18 left.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2020, 03:51:55 am »

Still I can´t believe they´re so cheap to buy - Even when this clamp would costs three times more, the value for money would still be great.
Wow, just wow.

I wonder what the differences between the 800khz and 2Mhz versions are...and where.

Edit:

Why not, it got the same incredible quality and with appx 200 buck it would be more affordable.

So get that A model and take some pictures :P

Really though i'd 99% bet on it being just some chippies OR.. more than likely it is this.. they are binning them.  Why? Dave already said it himself.. they couldnt keep up with producing 2.5MHz rated versions... almost certainly means they were rebranding them as the lessor A model via binning.  So you are really just paying for better quality parts

Also of interest there is a little known X version that was suppose to be rated for only up to 300 kHz

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2020, 06:57:39 am »

Wow, just wow.

Edit:

So get that A model and take some pictures :P

Really though i'd 99% bet on it being just some chippies OR.. more than likely it is this.. they are binning them.  Why? Dave already said it himself.. they couldnt keep up with producing 2.5MHz rated versions... almost certainly means they were rebranding them as the lessor A model via binning.  So you are really just paying for better quality parts

Also of interest there is a little known X version that was suppose to be rated for only up to 300 kHz

I doubt they are binning them, this is a pretty commodity thing.

The only non-jellybean part in there is the TMR sensor, and those are a relatively mature part ( I ordered some samples off amazon for a few dollars a few months ago). If there was variance on the TMR sensor it would be pretty simple to bin them before assembly.

This device is a good deal for what is on the market right now, but the production costs are pretty low. I would not be surprised if the most expensive parts of the whole thing was the nice plastic case and the custom mechanical components. The big change is this is the first design on the market using a higher bandwidth magnetic sensor as opposed to a low bandwidth hall effect sensor used on the cheap probes, or the hybrid hall effect + current transformer used on the super expensive current probes.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2020, 02:19:39 pm »
Has anybody ever looked at the Instrance ICP5000 current probes?

They supposedly can do DC or AC to 20A with bandwidth of 25 or 50MHz.  They also make a "matching" differential probe IIP1000.

You can find them on AliExpress or Ebay - e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32827427938.html
Or here is the manufacturer product page http://www.instrance.com.cn/en/ProductView.asp?ID=63

I don't generally have a need to measure beyond 2MHz right now, or if I do I have some RF current probes.

Offline Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2020, 08:02:05 pm »
Oh, interesting....
Never saw it before, looks like a tek/hioki clone.
Noisefloor 1mVrms=10mArms, accuracy 3%.
Hm-hm...Interesting.

I would not be surprised if the most expensive parts of the whole thing was the nice plastic case and the custom mechanical components.

If Micsig could pull out the technical design and real good building quality at such a low price, these "alternatives" are much more overpriced:

Rigol RP1002C for 1886€

Testec TT-CC990 for 1178€

R&S RT-ZC02 for 898€

Siglent CP4070A for 842€

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf