Author Topic: Micsig Tablet Oscilloscope tBook mini TO1000  (Read 112241 times)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Micsig Tablet Oscilloscope tBook mini TO1000
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2016, 01:42:32 pm »

A few groups at my office are interested, though being a large company we obviously buy the full spec needed. For day to day problems we'd get more use from a handful of these than one Keysight DSO3034 series, and for a lower cost. Normal caveats apply, w.r.t. right tool for the job, some problems require a higher spec 'scope.
Maybe email them and say "if these had serial decode we'd buy xx of them " & see what their reply is...

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline R_G_B_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2016, 02:22:28 pm »
Another important feature that is over looked in oscilloscopes is trend plot and scope  record such as that seen in the fluke 190 series. For plotting a graph of frequency vs time pulse width vs time AC peak amplitude over time etc.  Very useful feature for findng glitches and drop outs.  I see this oscilloscope has roll mode. 
R_G_B

Offline AndyP

• Contributor
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2016, 12:08:10 am »
Apparently serial decoders are in progress when I last emailed them 2+ weeks ago, hopefully they'll turn up soon. But it's worth waiting a little while for them to get it right. They might even include some of the other suggestions here.
I think they've done a decent job on the UI, looking forward to trying new features when they arrive, hoping they don't clutter the UI too much. Probably just another "top menu" tab, along with trigger, measure etc.

Offline diegod

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2016, 09:27:56 am »
Sorry for asking this, but how would this compare to a DS1054Z for a beginner looking to buy its first oscilloscope ? It seems that the main downside of this oscilloscope is the lack of a serial analyzer, but I think I would be fine using a cheap USB logic analyzer for that.
I would mainly be using it for low level hobbyist projects and repairing electronics, for which if I understand it correctly (please correct me if I am wrong) being battery operated would make it safer for diagnosing problems with mains powered electronics and power supplies.

Offline AndyP

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2016, 03:51:53 pm »
I was in a similar position a few months ago, currently I use a DS Logic  USB logic analyzer (16 channel 100Mhz) with 16M sample buffer for serial decoding and digital work.
As a hobby user I've found the Micsig easy to use and intuitive to use, and has all the features I need, the battery power and small desk footprint I find useful. Given the limited desk space at work it's also a handy desk scope, especially since you don't need to hunt around for a power socket each time you use it.
You can see the review I wrote on the forums.
Everyone that owns one has been been positive, I prefer it over the Rigol, but I'm keen to what other people's views are.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2016, 05:20:25 pm »
Remember that the channels aren't isolated, so if you connect it to anything such as a USB port or HDMI, or use the charger (1k ohm to earth), it will not be floating.

Although it's early days personally I still much prefer a proper bench scope, but that's what I'm much more used to. I do use tablet devices extensively for other things, you can probably tell from all the typos I make. So given the choice between this and the Rigol in most cases I'd definitely still reach for the Rigol. I still like my knobs and buttons!

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2016, 07:32:44 pm »
Siglent SHS806 vs Micsig TO1102+Battery. What to buy?. I want one of them, but which one, and why? Please. :-//

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2016, 01:10:42 am »
As I said I'm not all that used to touchscreen UIs so some issues may have been my own hamfistedness.
Having said that the pinch/stretch to adjust time/voltage range is definitely something that ought to work but didn't.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2016, 01:35:59 am »
I think a touchscreen interface done well is an idea whose time has come. A new generation completely comfortable with touchscreens is ready.
A touch screen interface is easy to get used to. Lack of protocol decoders is an excellent excuse for me to postpone buying one. Hopefully the special offer will run out as well to reduce the appeal so I don't have to break my 'no more than 2 oscilloscopes' rule.  8)
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline cmpxchg

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2016, 07:52:17 pm »
Following a hint from davidefa I've added support for upgrading the memory depth (to 28M) to the config tool.

I don't own a Micsig scope yet, but I'm interested in trying to package this as a fake firmware upgrade. That would simplify the process somewhat. So if someone here owns a not fully upgraded scope and is interested in being a guinea pig (I don't think there is a chance for bricking the device), please contact me.

Offline eKretz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2016, 03:17:30 am »
Cmpxchng - any chance of you investigating similar upgrades on the MS handheld scope meters?

I was thinking the "Ver" label on the silkscreen could be a "version" label and the jumpers below might change whatever option that is being called "version."

Offline R_G_B_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2016, 09:54:01 am »
The fans noisy, they could have used better material to  reduced the noise from the fan a bit of an annoyance. Also as for software options it would be nice to see some features added as I have mentioned above.  Add power quality analysis like that seen in the fluke 125 and some protocol test functions filed bus etc. Other functions such as graphing functions found in some automotive scopes like the snap on vantage.

If these people want to make a scope that will shake up the market then these feature will certainly do that if added.

I'm guessing some people will be using this out on the field and these features would be quite useful.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:30:29 am by R_G_B_ »
R_G_B

Offline cmpxchg

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2016, 09:15:01 pm »
Cmpxchng - any chance of you investigating similar upgrades on the MS handheld scope meters?

I was thinking the "Ver" label on the silkscreen could be a "version" label and the jumpers below might change whatever option that is being called "version."

Someone in the debranded scope thread has already decrypted the firmware images for the handheld scopes, but honestly they are much less interesting to hack because they run some RTOS on a TexasInstruments DSP instead of just ordinary Linux.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2016, 01:20:04 am »
Bah! Humbug!-------a real Oscilloscope has knobs!!!

Touchscreens?,Gestures?
To quote Billy Connolly :- "That's a nice gesture!" >:(

Offline diegod

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2017, 03:13:51 pm »
So if someone here owns a not fully upgraded scope and is interested in being a guinea pig (I don't think there is a chance for bricking the device), please contact me.

Can you elaborate on this ? All the firmware update methods mentioned in the documentation are done through the tablet UI, so at the very least it requires a device able to boot. Do you have a method for updating the firmware if the device doesn't boot, say, from the bootloader ?
I have ordered a TO1074 from batronix and I'll be happy to serve as guinea pig, just need some reassurance that it *really* can't be bricked.

Offline diegod

« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2017, 03:20:43 pm »
Also, while looking for more info about this tablet I found this video:

It seems to imply that there is a beta version of the firmware 6.7.0.212 that is able to record videos to USB disks, although I have not been able to find this version on micsig's website.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2017, 06:08:49 pm »
Is there a record icon somewhere I'm not seeing? Or could that just be HDMI capture?

Offline diegod

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2017, 06:11:40 pm »
Is there a record icon somewhere I'm not seeing? Or could that just be HDMI capture?

It's in the video description actually, I couldn't see any hints of the recording UI in the video itself either:
Micsig tBook mini/TO1000 series' new feature as VideoPlay.

Now we can record the LCD display view directly to UDisk(USB Flash Memory).
I coild watch this avi.file with PowerDVD16.

Newest software version:6.7.0.212(Beta)

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2017, 07:51:26 pm »
Nice!

Offline R_G_B_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2017, 10:02:32 am »
70Mhz version of the micsig TO1074

fed with a  250Mhz sinewave.
R_G_B

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2017, 06:02:18 pm »
And what is the attenuation? Test setup?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline R_G_B_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2017, 07:02:07 pm »
Just feed the output from a hp network analyser no sweep just a fixed frequency. In this case 250Mhz
And a terminator at the scope end at 50ohms.
R_G_B

Offline cmpxchg

• Contributor
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2017, 07:32:47 pm »
Can you elaborate on this ? All the firmware update methods mentioned in the documentation are done through the tablet UI, so at the very least it requires a device able to boot. Do you have a method for updating the firmware if the device doesn't boot, say, from the bootloader ?
I have ordered a TO1074 from batronix and I'll be happy to serve as guinea pig, just need some reassurance that it *really* can't be bricked.

I wasn't thinking in terms of having a low-level firmware flash procedure available, but from what we know the firmware update in the tablet UI does - it simply extracts a shell script from the update image and runs that, there is no reboot into a bootloader, erasing or anything. So unless the shell script intentionally bricks the Linux there isn't very much scope for it to go wrong.

In any case, before trying that it would be easier to look if the FTP/Telnet access is still enabled. That's certainly simpler.

Offline diegod

« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »
Ah right, if all the updater does is run a shell script then I can see how there is very little risk. Thanks!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2017, 02:49:56 am »
All the hands-on comments seem quite positive. Instructive to refer back to an earlier thread where this type of scope got absolutely thrashed by experienced commenters:

EEVBlog disses Micsig

I'm sure there's a lesson or moral or something in there somewhere  :-+

[Disclaimer: I was dubious about not having physical buttons and switches, but having since used touch with its drag and pinch and stuff on phones and tablets, I wouldn't mind playing with the same UI on a scope. Having just bust the entire years toy budget it's not going happen just yet, though...]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf