Author Topic: Micsig Tablet Oscilloscope tBook mini TO1104 review (100Mhz 4 channel 'scope)  (Read 74824 times)

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
Here we come to the fundamental problem: there is simply not enough Micsig resources to implement all these features. Especially considering the price of the unit.

I think, only with the help of community it is possible to deliver such a rich functionality you mentioned (although, some features are fairly easy to implement). So, I offered my help to Micsig to implement a better remote control not requiring Windows and NI-VISA (I'm on Linux, but even on Windows I'd hesitate installing such a big package), but they politely rejected. Too bad :(.

I agree. It's a pity that low-cost scope manufacturers don't open up their designs - there is no secret sauce there, ASICs or whatnot. I would like to see Hantek doing that, for example, as their hardware is fairly decent for the price but the firmware is a joke (I have their AWG and USB logic analyzer).

There was the effort to reverse engineer DS1054Z and write the open source firmware (there is a thread on that on the forum), but I think DS1054Z is too limited with its CPU. Something like tBook with modern SoC or the new Zynq based scopes are better candidates.

Another application that comes to my mind is python+numpy+scipy scripting capability. Similar to LeCroy's XDEV option. I could capture 28 Mpoints of data and then run my own python to process the data, generate a custom measurement or a custom math trace. It doesn't have to be real time (i.e. in the FPGA), just it shouldn't take ages (that's why it's nice to have a quad-core ARM with some RAM).

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Another application that comes to my mind is python+numpy+scipy scripting capability.

That's exactly my final goal! I'll try some luck with python-vxi11 or something as soon as I get some free time :(.

Offline Micsig_support

• Regular Contributor
  • Manufacturer of digital oscilloscopes from China
    • Manufacturer of digital oscilloscopes from China
I tried some port sniffing but TO1000 doesn't seem to support LXI (plain text over telnet) which makes it extremely hard to control the TO1000 over the network. To me it is useless if I need NI VISA. Why the hell are manufacturs still using VXI? Even Siglent switched to LXI on most of their test equipment  :-//

Hi, NI VISA is not necessary for Micsig tbook mini TO1000 PC software, you can connect it by Wi-Fi/LAN.
JL

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I tried some port sniffing but TO1000 doesn't seem to support LXI (plain text over telnet) which makes it extremely hard to control the TO1000 over the network. To me it is useless if I need NI VISA. Why the hell are manufacturs still using VXI? Even Siglent switched to LXI on most of their test equipment  :-//

Hi, NI VISA is not necessary for Micsig tbook mini TO1000 PC software, you can connect it by Wi-Fi/LAN.
But how do I send commands to it (like *IDN? ) ?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline paul_ius

• Contributor
I have just received TO1074 from Batronix. I haven't had the time to test it properly, but the first impressions are very good. There are some translation mistakes here and there that I think could easily be solved by including a native English speaker in the translation process, but it's not something major. I'm just wondering if that beta software with decoding thing is still on? If so, how do I proceed to get it?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 08:49:51 am by paul_ius »

Offline pmcouto

• Supporter
The wait is over!

New software version with serial decoders is now available from Micsig.  :-+
Upgrade can be performed directly from the scope – it downloads the software and installs it automatically.

Now, let’s see how much Micsig will charge for this new options.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I just upgraded which was pretty painless using a network connection. I have not tested protocol decoding yet but the definitive list of protocols seems to be:
UART, LIN, CAN, SPI, I2C, Arinc 429 and 1553B (the latter two are avionics protocols)

One of the things that seems to be fixed is the sensitivity of the buttons on the side of the screen (run/stop, single seq, etc). On my unit they work fine now  :-+.

I played a bit with UART decoding but unfortunately it seems it only decodes what is on screen. As soon as a character is scrolled partly outside the screen it changes into a ? mark  :-- Also no event list so all in all the decoding still needs work.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:19:49 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline paul_ius

• Contributor
oh man, I was hoping to jump on the beta testers' train or that the feature was going to be included by default in the official update.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
oh man, I was hoping to jump on the beta testers' train or that the feature was going to be included by default in the official update.

Well, I have serial decoding options enabled (at least it shows the menu), but I haven't activated my serial decoding key yet. So, it might work for everyone. Fingers crossed!

BTW, guys, it looks like the latest firmware solved my issue with the scope switching on on power loss. I'm yet to fully test this, but it looks like it wakes up when supply is on (shows stupid battery animation) or off (just shows micsig logo), but then it switches off again (or is it a deep sleep or something?).

Offline paul_ius

• Contributor
Well, I have serial decoding options enabled (at least it shows the menu), but I haven't activated my serial decoding key yet. So, it might work for everyone. Fingers crossed!
I have the menu as well and it lets me to activate it, but when I try to read the data I can't see the decoder line anywhere.

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
I have the menu as well and it lets me to activate it, but when I try to read the data I can't see the decoder line anywhere.
That's how it works if the option is not enabled.

The following users thanked this post: paul_ius

Offline paul_ius

• Contributor
I wrote an email to sales@micsig.com asking about the decoding feature and the guy answered that for TO1074 it can be purchased for 37.99USD and that I can buy it through batronix. Not sure about the pricing for other models.

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
I played a bit with UART decoding but unfortunately it seems it only decodes what is on screen.
You can lower sample rate to the point where bits are not visible in the waveform, but decoding still works.
For example, try UART @115200 and 20 kSa/s sample rate.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I played a bit with UART decoding but unfortunately it seems it only decodes what is on screen.
You can lower sample rate to the point where bits are not visible in the waveform, but decoding still works.
For example, try UART @115200 and 20 kSa/s sample rate.
I already tested that myself so I really don't understand why decoded data dissapears from the screen. On one hand it seems the decoding happens inside the FPGA but on the other hand it only decodes what is on screen.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
Darn, I just heard from micsig sales that the tBook mini TO1104M (28Mpt model) that I bought a few months ago won't support decodes. Decodes are only supported on the tBook mini TO1104 :(

Amusingly, the updated .bin file is named "TO1104M Firmware Program, Version Info 7...227" but it dies with "Version of upgrade package was wrong!" so sales is probably right.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Darn, I just heard from micsig sales that the tBook mini TO1104M (28Mpt model) that I bought a few months ago won't support decodes. Decodes are only supported on the tBook mini TO1104 :(

Amusingly, the updated .bin file is named "TO1104M Firmware Program, Version Info 7...227" but it dies with "Version of upgrade package was wrong!" so sales is probably right.

Sorry if I missed it, are M and non-M models different inside (never seen M-models in tear downs)? Ask sales if you can upgrade your unit (may some soldering required  :)). Or, may be you can arrange an exchange...

Concerning firmware. I believe all models use the same file (I checked this with MD5). The firmware file is rejected if it's not newer than the version installed. BTW, here is what written in the firmware header: "TO1104,TO1074,TO1074M,TO1104M"

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
Concerning firmware. I believe all models use the same file (I checked this with MD5). The firmware file is rejected if it's not newer than the version installed. BTW, here is what written in the firmware header: "TO1104,TO1074,TO1074M,TO1104M"
As I understood, firmware is different between 2CH and 4CH models. Also 5, 6, 7 in fw version seems to be related to hw revisions. Recent hw revision is 7 and all 4 channel models (M and non M) use the same firmware.

Update: I might be wrong that all current models have the same hw version... The fact is that firmware is chosen based on "hw version", not the model name.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:57:03 pm by kirill_ka »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments

I think you already have version 227. The latest version is (IIRC) 273. I assume the M version has no network connection? With a network connection the update process is easy.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
Micsig is offering promotional free serial decode package 1 (UART, i2c, SPI, CAN, LIN) to buyers of TO1104.  Without the promotion, price for the package is $36.99 (USD).

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Micsig is offering promotional free serial decode package 1 (UART, i2c, SPI, CAN, LIN) to buyers of TO1104.  Without the promotion, price for the package is $36.99 (USD).

Finally I don't regret paying extra for TO1104 :).

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor

Sorry if I missed it, are M and non-M models different inside (never seen M-models in tear downs)? Ask sales if you can upgrade your unit (may some soldering required  :)). Or, may be you can arrange an exchange...

Would you happen to have a copy of the .bin? I can't find 273 on the downloads page and the network upgrade assures me that "Current version is latest!" even though I have 6.11.0.192 installed so both 227, the version on the downloads page, and 273, the version reported by nctnico, should be newer.

If that doesn't work, I'll definitely go poking around. Thanks for the info on the header -- there's enough version confusion from Micsig's direction that it's worth investigating, and thanks to Mike's wonderful teardown video I have an excellent point of comparison :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:30:07 pm by jjoonathan »

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
Would you happen to have a copy of the .bin? I can't find 273 on the downloads page and the network upgrade assures me that "Current version is latest!" even though I have 6.11.0.192 installed so both 227, the version on the downloads page, and 273, the version reported by nctnico, should be newer.
Take a look at xml, it contains direct links to current firmware files.
 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/micsig-tablet-oscilloscope-tbook-mini-to1000/msg1093979/#msg1093979

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
Thanks for the link, krill_ka! The secret was to ignore "upgrade_TO1104M.bin", download "upgrade_TO1104.bin" on a flash drive using the URL from the .xml (there is no TO1104.bin on the official downloads page), rename it to "upgrade_TO1104M.bin", and run it  ::)

Code: [Select]
--------- Gory Details --------
Model: TO1104M
Version: 6.11.0.192
Auto upgrade: "Current version is latest!"

http://www.micsig.com.cn/upgrade/config.xml
* = had <model>TO1104M</model> tag
! = 404 Not Found
!upgrade_TO1104_V5.bin: 5.0.125     
 upgrade_TO1072.bin:    6.1.273     
*upgrade_TO1074.bin:    6.1.273     
 upgrade_TO1102.bin:    601.1.273     
*upgrade_TO1104.bin:    601.1.273     
 upgrade_TO1102M.bin:   701.1.273     
*upgrade_TO1104M.bin:   701.1.273     

Effects of placing on flash drive and selecting UDisk Upgrade:
upgrade_TO1072.bin:  (short pause) "There is no upgrade package!"
upgrade_TO1074.bin:  (short pause) "There is no upgrade package!"
upgrade_TO1102.bin:  (short pause) "There is no upgrade package!"
upgrade_TO1104.bin:  (short pause) "There is no upgrade package!"
upgrade_TO1102M.bin: (short pause) "There is no upgrade package!"
upgrade_TO1104M.bin: (long pause) "Version of upgrade package was wrong!"

Effects of renaming to "upgrade_TO1104M.bin" and placing on flash drive:
upgrade_TO1072.bin:  Didn't Try
upgrade_TO1074.bin:  Didn't Try
upgrade_TO1102.bin:  Didn't Try
upgrade_TO1104.bin:  ******** WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! ***********
upgrade_TO1102M.bin: (long pause) "Version of upgrade package was wrong!"
upgrade_TO1104M.bin: N/A

Post-upgrade:
Model: TO1104M
Version: 6.11.1.273

After the upgrade it automatically listed WLAN, UART, LIN, SPI, CAN, I2C, and 1553B in the license list and showed the S1 and S2 traces, but activating them does not draw a decode trace, even after several different attempts to capture SPI, RS232, and I2C. Further investigation is necessary.

EDIT: if we ignore M and non-M, the versions make more sense (shocking, I know). I have revision 6 hardware while others have revision 7. Does anyone have working decodes on a device with HW version 6? Does anyone have a TO1104 with HW version 6?

EDIT 2: SPI and UART data triggers work, even though the decode traces don't show!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:27:36 am by jjoonathan »

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
After the upgrade it automatically listed WLAN, UART, LIN, SPI, CAN, I2C, and 1553B in the license list and showed the S1 and S2 traces, but activating them does not draw a decode trace, even after several different attempts to capture SPI, RS232, and I2C. Further investigation is necessary.
Do you see all the protocols as ACTIVE when you enter the passcode?  If you get any error message, then you need to verify if you entered the passcode correctly.  If the protocols are not active, you can trigger but do not get the decoded information on screen.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
I never entered a license code, I just upgraded the FW and they appeared, presumably because I have a 1104. Picture of the license screen: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5s9Hkz8IBj88eKBn2

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf