Author Topic: Micsig TO1104 serial decode options ?  (Read 5402 times)

Offline shakalnokturnTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Micsig TO1104 serial decode options ?
« on: April 10, 2021, 09:57:48 pm »
Well...
I've done it again gone and bought another oscilloscope, a second hand Micsig tBook mini TO1104.
I haven't used it much yet but must admit that I quite like it.

It's responsive, the UI is decent, specifications are just about what you'd expect for something in that price range, fits on the corner of the desk, on the whole it's a lot closer to a finished product than I'd have expected from a Chinese manufacturer.

Mine came with the optional battery but did not come with the serial protocols decode options enabled.
Considering none of my current DSO's have serial decode even as a disabled option, I'd be really interested in obtaining it on the Micsig.

Is there a way to get that for free anywhere?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 04:32:17 pm by shakalnokturn »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Micsig TO1104 serial decode options ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 12:27:36 am »
I suspect you are out of luck. If I read it correctly, this series does not have serial decoding

http://micsig.com/html/30.html
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 12:45:47 am »
My TO1104 has serial decoding. It is an option that can be installed. I'd contact MicSig and ask how to get serial decoding enabled.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 01:07:20 am »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 08:32:47 am »
My TO1104 has serial decoding. It is an option that can be installed. I'd contact MicSig and ask how to get serial decoding enabled.
In this case, their entire marketing department should be fired. This is quite an important feature but not mentioned anywhere on their product page. I wonder if there is a reason for that...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 08:54:35 am »
I had a TO1104, I switched to the STO1104C. Micsig does the best bang-for-buck battery scope IMO.

I contacted my local distributor and they provided a code to add serial decodes to the TO1104, it was only something like GBP40 or so.

Offline Micsig_support

• Regular Contributor
  • Manufacturer of digital oscilloscopes from China
    • Manufacturer of digital oscilloscopes from China
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 07:55:29 am »
Well...
I've done it again gone and bought another oscilloscope, a second hand Micsig tBook mini TO1104.

It's responsive, the UI is decent, specifications are just about what you'd expect for something in that price range, fits on the corner of the desk, on the whole it's a lot closer to a finished product than I'd have expected from a Chinese manufacturer.

Mine came with the optional battery but did not come with the serial protocols decode options enabled.
Considering none of my current DSO's have serial decode even as a disabled option, I'd be really interested in obtaining it on the Micsig.

We charged the bus decode for CAN, LIN ... earlier. but now it is free. pls email sales@micsig.com to ask them.  they will send you a code to upgrade. 

AND. tell them, you want free.... :-DD
JL

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, coromonadalix, 2N3055, wolfy007, shakalnokturn

Offline Wintel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 09:12:27 am »
Well...

We charged the bus decode for CAN, LIN ... earlier. but now it is free. pls email sales@micsig.com to ask them.  they will send you a code to upgrade. 

Free for all oscilloscope model or only free for TO1104 ?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 09:36:10 pm »
@Micsig_support:

Thanks for your input.
Email sent a couple of days ago, how responsive are Micsig usually?

Another question, I did a firmware update via Network just in case the serial decode would be activated that way, after all if Micsig are giving the options away now it would make sense to do it that way. (IMHO)
Since the update the scope no longer has the "standby" power saving feature in the menu, I actually found that feature useful.
Is there any way to downgrade the firmware? Or upgrade to another version that has standby?

The firmware download pages on the website are hazy to say the least.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 11:21:37 am »
Mr. Jelin Wei from Micsig replied today with a licence key for UART, LIN, SPI, CAN, I²C protocols. Pretty fast and helpful. Thanks!

No solution regarding firmware downgrade or installing specific versions though, I should know better... Do not upgrade a firmware that's working well enough to a version without detailed change notes.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 11:27:35 am »
No solution regarding firmware downgrade or installing specific versions though

Do you need to downgrade it for practical reasons, or "just in case"?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 11:56:42 am »
I actually prefered the previous version that allowed the scope to go into standby automatically, a useful feature when running on battery. 🔋

Offline I4E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 03:04:51 am »
We are authorized distributors for Micsig in the UK and Ireland.

I opened up to read the post to see if I could help but it looks like you have received help already which is great.  As you bought a second hand unit- I'm not sure if you received the manual but if I can help you with a copy please let me know.

Enjoy your "new" scope :-)

Sincerely,
Joy Torres
Instruments 4 Engineers ltd
Office: +44 (0) 161 871 7450
Micsig TO 1104 Plus
https://www.instruments4engineers.com/micsig-to1104-100mhz-tablet-oscilloscope-micsig-distributor

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 06:58:07 am »
I actually prefered the previous version that allowed the scope to go into standby automatically, a useful feature when running on battery. 🔋

Ah, yes, it seems sleep mode disappeared entirely :(. Yeah, that sucks because I run this scope from the battery.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 08:03:04 am »
We are authorized distributors for Micsig in the UK and Ireland.

I opened up to read the post to see if I could help but it looks like you have received help already which is great.  As you bought a second hand unit- I'm not sure if you received the manual but if I can help you with a copy please let me know.

There should be a PDF copy of the manual on the scope itself. You can read it directly on the scope or download it.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 10:51:30 am »
There should be a PDF copy of the manual on the scope itself. You can read it directly on the scope or download it.

I4E know that, they just made an opportunity to post an advertisement.

I'm in the UK and purchased my Micsig from Telonic.
Great service, very professional and shipped quick from stock.
No affiliation, just a happy customer.
https://www.telonic.co.uk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 01:36:18 pm »
According to Micsig there is no way to downgrade the firmware.
Firmwares can be downloaded manually.

Here for oldest versions:
http://www.micsig.com/html/list_60_3.html

Here newer versions that may also be the files used for the online updates:
http://www.micsig.com.cn/upgrade/config.xml

Here jjoonathan explains how he updates through USB by renaming downloaded files to satisfy the scope:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/micsig-to1104-(similar-to-rigol-1104z)/msg1270191/#msg1270191

Here some detail from cmpxchg on the way the .bin files are encrypted:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/micsig-tablet-oscilloscope-tbook-mini-to1000/msg1093979/#msg1093979

I have tried renaming all the firmware files downloaded but can't get my scope to accept any of them, haven't been into actually deciphering them then looking at their structure.

Anyone out here have .bin files of versions that are listed on neither of the Micsig firmware pages that they'd like to share?

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 05:24:36 pm »
I tried to hack the firmware in the past, but without much luck. The scope checks signature of the file before upgrading. It also, afaik, checks version number and refused to downgrade it. If I remember correctly, the version number is in signature. I don't know how to create a correct signature.

An alternative way would be to get a root on the scope. That would unlock all the possibilities. But I didn't manage to do it either.

Having said that, options for this oscilloscope, imho, affordable. I only activated one or two options, plus one or two they gave for free. The only thing I didn't activate are support for automotive protocols. Don't remeber how much they asked for it, but it seemed expensive for me to pay for these options as I don't really need them.

Offline kirill_ka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 08:35:29 pm »
Quote from: shakalnokturn link=topic=276222.msg356420
Anyone out here have .bin files of versions that are listed on neither of the Micsig firmware pages that they'd like to share?
What particular version (or version range) you are interested in? I have some of them archived.
It also, afaik, checks version number and refused to downgrade it.
Yep, it wouldn't downgrade unless you bump up the version number. Note that upgrade*.bin files are just shar archives to be unpacked over the filesystem. So downgrading is not absolutely safe as some of the files might be missing from the "upgrade.bin".
Having said that, if you are brave enough I can fix the version in the bin file for you.

Offline I4E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 02:23:50 am »
Hello Fungus,

Thank you for the tip. I didn't know that the manual was in pdf form on the scope. I will have to pull one out and have a look for it.    It would be interesting to see if it's the mini book or the full manual.

Warm wishes to you and everyone for a wonderful weekend!

Sincerely

Joy Torres
Instruments 4 Engineers Ltd
Office: +44 (0) 161 871 7450
www.instruments4engineers.com
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 02:46:53 am by I4E »

Offline Wintel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 11:54:09 pm »
Well...

Does the STO1104C will support segmented memory in the next firmware?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2021, 08:38:20 am »
Does the STO1104C will support segmented memory in the next firmware?

Who knows...? Not me.

There don't seem to be very frequent firmware updates for these.

I sent them a few ideas for it and they were "Oh, those are great, we sent them straight to the engineers!" but I haven't heard anything else from them.

Offline I4E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2021, 02:23:29 am »
Hi Wintel and Everyone

Currently Micsig  are not going to be adding  segmented memory  for the STO1104C or  the STO1000C/E series

However, they are going to be coming out with some new models and I am anticipating that the newer models will have it.    I'm expecting to know more soon.

Is there anything else that anyone would like to recommend that they'd like to see on the scopes or those of you that have them - any suggestions of what you'd like to see improved.  I'm happy to feed this back.

Sincerely
Miss Joy Torres
https://www.instruments4engineers.com/
Authorized Distributors:
Micsig
Rigol
Maynuo
and more
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 03:04:04 am by I4E »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2021, 04:45:02 am »
Is there anything else that anyone would like to recommend that they'd like to see on the scopes or those of you that have them - any suggestions of what you'd like to see improved.  I'm happy to feed this back.

Will they add new features or only improve existing ones?

Offline I4E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2021, 03:25:26 am »
 Hi There Fungus

They have released a new 200MHz and 300MHz Oscilloscope  STO Versions.  STO2302C 300MHz and STO2202C 200MHz version

Video below:
[https://youtu.be/8PWbTJOH6Eo][/url]

I hope that works I couldn't figure out how to put the video in.

There is also work on larger screens and additonal scopes for the Micsig Range. I'm limited to what I am allowed to say.

Joy Torres
www.instruments4engineers.com
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 02:46:45 am by I4E »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf