Author Topic: More WaveAce224 issues!  (Read 37578 times)

Offline RRobot

• Regular Contributor
Re: More WaveAce224 issues!
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2012, 05:25:13 pm »
Yeah if its 'agilentused' on ebay they are legit. I've bought from them before. Shipping can be slow since the stuff comes from the Agilent factory in Malaysia. The Certiprime stuff has a normal Agilent warranty (3 years? , maybe depends on the product).

The rest you are on your own, but I believe they fully test everything before sending it out and they have a 7 day (see item description) return policy.

I believe they actually are part of Agilent, and believe it or not those prices are heavily discounted.

Not much there for a couple thousand euro though.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2012, 03:04:18 am »
IMO unless you REALLY want the protocol based trigger in there it's better to use your usual choice of USB LA's. I generally only use the MSO bit as part of signal timing and integrity analysis. MSO were never meant to replace LA's.

And remember you can always use a separate MCU to provide the protocol trigger by pulling a pin when the right packet is received.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:06:26 am by Hypernova »

Offline madwormTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2012, 01:12:15 pm »
I'm not primarily after the mixed-signal stuff. If it is in there, it is a nice bonus. I already have a simple logic analyzer with bus decoding.

I want a good all-purpose DSO without ANY buyers remorse half a year later. The HMO2024 seems to be a good choice. The Agilent 2000X is too limited, the 3000X too expensive.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2012, 06:14:45 am »
I see that the Lecroy CEO has offered you a refund.
What's to become of the scope?
Sledgehammer rage video?  ;D

Dave.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2012, 10:59:32 am »
Well...

As far as I'm concerned, the refund works both ways. As long as I haven't heard from them otherwise, I expect to hand it back to them. It's been a while since I've sent them my reply to their refund offer. Maybe they need some more time to process that...  or they have an overzealous spam filter.

It's still in mint condition. It's even got the protective foil on the LCD screen. Only one ground cable has had it - probably material fatigue in the alligator clip.

As the issues with it are clearly due to its 'magnificent' firmware, I feel somewhat reluctant to punish the hardware by cutting it in half.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2012, 11:23:34 am »
If they want it back I suggest you tell them that they will have to come and get it, and apologise in person!
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2012, 11:53:55 am »
If they want it back I suggest you tell them that they will have to come and get it, and apologise in person!

Indeed!
If the CEO emailed you, then he(she?) can come and get it personally!

Dave.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2012, 12:09:43 pm »
It would feel awkward to make such a request ;D

A timely exchange of money vs. hardware is sufficient - in a foggy night in the middle of an empty bridge, only bats and a couple of owls as witnesses.

Of course I could also pay them a visit at 'electronica 2012' and dump the thing at their booth in public. But I doubt I would get my money back that way.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2012, 10:45:59 am »
The story concludes!

Thanks to 'Hilary Lustig' - who obviously has the talent to press the right buttons at LeCroy - I can see the light at the end of the WaveAce-tunnel.

They indeed want the scope back, so no destructive review 8). A pick-up will be scheduled shortly.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2012, 12:11:11 pm »
Are you going with the Hameg, Rigol or Agilent as a replacement?

I just looked at the waveace224 specs...they really are met by the DSOX2024, which is about $2700 USD list price vs $2600 USD list price for the 224.

Well, the Agilent has some bettter specs: larger screen, more memory, higher wfps, built in fg.

I should probably have ordered the DSOX2024 instead of the MSOX3024, but one time in my life I wanted not to buy the very bottom end of something or a long outdated model.  I used the TDS210 for about 12 years so I feel I have tried the bottom.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2012, 04:11:37 pm »
Well, if this were for a business I'd get the 4CH Agilent version. The option to upgrade the bandwidth to 500MHz might come in handy later.

For personal use I can't justify the expenses of any of the Agilent ones with similar specs. The 2000X series is cheaper, but also much more limited. I can get more bang for the buck elsewhere. 50000 waveforms/s is nice, but not everything.

Currently I'm happy to get the extra money into my bank account and will probably go for the Hameg HMO2024 at some point. Upgrading to mixed signal is affordable and I can do that later. It's a German company, so I don't expect to have any issues with unreachable support. I could pester them in person if I really had to. ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:00:48 pm by madworm »

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2012, 04:54:14 pm »
At least the MSO upgrade on the hamegs don't cost a bomb ...
I really like that about Hameg, but then again, i'm still unbiased  :P

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2012, 04:59:47 pm »
Hmmm, the Hameg HMO2024 looks very nice, but it is priced actually higher than the DSOX2024 ($2700 vs $3300 USD).  I guess if you are going to fully option it out then it might come in cheaper in the end.

I think if the DSOX3000 series did not exist it would make the DSOX2000 series look a lot better.  People don't like knowing their scope has been limited.  I know it would bug me quite a bit to have bought a 70mhz X2004 and know that it is just a few software bits keeping it from being 200mhz.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2012, 05:07:23 pm »
The Hameg is cheaper when fully loaded.

The 2000X would be much more attractive to me, if stuff like bus decoding were available. But to me it looks like it has been cut down artificially - and quite a bit too much IMO. And the options are waaay too costly for me.

In one of Dave's videos it was shown that the 2000 series shares the button layout with the 3000 series. As a result of this pressing an 'unused' button causes stuff like "This option is not available... blah blah blah", which is enough reason for me NOT to buy it.

Offline KTP

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2012, 05:15:26 pm »
Yes, I think they made a mistake by including these buttons and things in the x2000 series and not enabling them.

It would kind of be like buying a Porsche with a software limited 100HP.  You know the good stuff is under the hood, but Porsche wants $20,000 to turn on the additional 200 or whatever HP.  Agravating.

I am hoping that eventually some of the options on the x3000 (and x2000) are offered cheaper.  Maybe in a year or two after they have recooped some development costs they can offer a combo package to current owners to fully option out their scopes for something less than insanity $.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2012, 06:52:07 pm »
The 2000X would be much more attractive to me, if stuff like bus decoding were available. But to me it looks like it has been cut down artificially - and quite a bit too much IMO.

Shush. Don't say this to loud. Last time I mentioned that I hate Agilent selling the stuff piecemeal I was accused of being a freeloader and wanting everything for free. While all I want was less hassle to order one in my job.

(We have a separate organization responsible for licenses. Everything containing the word "license" needs to be run through them in addition, requiring additional paperwork, and approval. As if I am really keen on wasting my time to run a fucking DMM or ARB extension license through these idiots, who barely know what I am talking about and ... ah well, fuck it.)
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2012, 07:24:57 pm »
Ah, procurement departments... you've just got to hate them.

It would really be nice to have folk who actually know (or should know) how to deal with strange customs forms and all that bureaucrat lingo and just say to them: "Make it so!" But from my personal experience I can say that I could get things done without them much quicker, well except customs 'formalities'.

Writing in-house order forms for stuff worth a couple of hundred bucks, waiting for bean-counter approval, "are you sure you really need THIS part?", yadda yadda yadda... "we'll add your parts to the next (bi-monthly) combined order to distributor XZY"... consolidating shipping costs!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2012, 01:53:43 pm »
IT IS DONE!

The hardware was shipped to LeCroy Switzerland and a few bits and bytes have been transfered to my bank account. 8)

I've attached 2 photographs of the location near Geneva. Thanks to Google streetview. At first glance one could come to the conclusion that they also sell microwave ovens there, but I guess they're just scopes with extra-large screens.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:55:28 pm by madworm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf