Author Topic: MSO2024B Oscilloscope problems  (Read 3754 times)

Offline tan_ycTopic starter

MSO2024B Oscilloscope problems
« on: February 09, 2015, 07:24:31 am »
I newly bought a Tektronix MSO2024B oscilloscope. Upon power up, I tested the probes with the "Probe Comp" signal. According to the User Manual, the (squarewave) signal should be 5V and 1kHz. However, the recorded frequency value on the screen is 986.xxxHz instead of 1kHz.  :-BROKE The error rate is more than 1%.  |O   Is this normal? Any problems with this scope?

I got a TDS1001B and the "Probe Comp" gives 1.00000kHz on the screen.

Kindly advise.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
Re: MSO2024B Oscilloscope problems
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:33:28 am »
I newly bought a Tektronix MSO2024B oscilloscope. Upon power up, I tested the probes with the "Probe Comp" signal. According to the User Manual, the (squarewave) signal should be 5V and 1kHz. However, the recorded frequency value on the screen is 986.xxxHz instead of 1kHz.  :-BROKE The error rate is more than 1%.  |O   Is this normal? Any problems with this scope?

Yes, it is normal. It is not exactly 1 kHz. It is only meant to adjust the probe compensation.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 07:37:54 am »
They vary all over the place, old scopes had adjustment to set them dead on 1 KHz.
New DSO's are generelly within a few 100ths of a Hz.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:04:50 pm »

I got a TDS1001B and the "Probe Comp" gives 1.00000kHz on the screen.

Kindly advise.

It is NOT intended to be a frequency reference or a voltage reference.  It is only designed to be used for compensating the probes - thus is only a basic square wave.  What you are seeing is perfectly normal and acceptable.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:07:11 pm »
Just checked my MDO2024B; it's around 1.05KHz, so 0.5% out. It's normal. So long as the square wave has clean, sharp edges you're fine. It's only meant to compensate the probes.

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:57:48 pm »
Just checked my MDO2024B; it's around 1.05KHz, so 0.5% out. It's normal. So long as the square wave has clean, sharp edges you're fine. It's only meant to compensate the probes.

I think it is 5% out.

Offline tan_ycTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 02:10:18 am »
I have tried on other scopes and they produce 1kHz square wave signals for this compensation signal. This is the only scope that I get a signal which is quite far from 1kHz. Even Agilent and Lecroy scopes give a signal with error rate about or less than 0.1%.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 03:45:02 am »
I have tried on other scopes and they produce 1kHz square wave signals for this compensation signal. This is the only scope that I get a signal which is quite far from 1kHz. Even Agilent and Lecroy scopes give a signal with error rate about or less than 0.1%.

According to the spec for this scope, the compensation signal amplitude is spec'd to +/-10% for amplitude, and +/-25% for frequency. So, there is absolute nothing wrong with the scope, or this signal.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 04:03:49 am »

Maybe the Tek's frequency counter is just more accurate and the other scopes are lying. Did you ever think of that? :P

Seriously, it's meant to produce a square wave with clean edges. It could be 500Hz or 5KHz, it doesn't matter. It's there to compensate your probes only. That's it.

Sent from my Smartphone
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Lunasix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 02:12:02 pm »
Dont 'worry ! I confirm : on my MSO2024, I have 934Hz (same result with a frequency counter).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf