Products > Test Equipment

MSO5000 Bode Plot Capability: Is it Good Enough? [Many tips about a 1st scope]

(1/55) > >>

balnazzar:
Hi Folks.
I'm still being kept awake at night by my nightmarish oscilloscope purchase.

As I mentioned a while ago, I have one grand to spend, And I'm leaning toward the (in)famous MSO5074, to be hacked, because it packs so many things into a single device. Ok, it does nothing really well, but:

- I can live with the dim display.
- I can also live with the sh*tty fan or snap a noctua into it.
- Maybe I can even live with the subpar front end and the noise (just maybe)..

But I need decent Bode plots. Now, of course I've read here and there, and the general opinion is somewhat twofold.. Some say that MSO5K's Bode plot are decent and people who say otherwise are just bashers. Others say that those BP are so bad that they are tantamount to being useless.

I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who has the '5K and actually use it to perform frequency response analysis quite often.

The alternative would be the sds1104x-e with a siglent wavegen, but spending almost the same amount of money for a 7" scope without separate channel control looks unexciting at best, AND I already have the gen (the UNI-T thingy).

Yeah I know that some people managed to make the sds1104x-e work with other brands, but I have no time right now to tinker, and with uncertain results...

And the new Rigol costs as much as the MSO5K without having anything apart from 12bit and a 10" screen (in particular, no bodes...)

Thanks!

nctnico:
Have you considered getting a specific device for doing bode plots? What kind of frequency range are you after? Any amplitude & dynamic range requirements? The analog discovery is mentioned often as a tool for doing bode plots. From a comparison between various oscilloscopes made by one of the forum members, it seems Siglent's bode plot is rather slow so may not be ideal for doing a lot of bode plots in a short time.

Fungus:

--- Quote from: balnazzar on October 01, 2022, 04:06:29 pm ---Some say that MSO5K's Bode plot are decent and people who say otherwise are just bashers. Others say that those BP are so bad that they are tantamount to being useless.

--- End quote ---

The truth is probably somewhere in between.  :)

2N3055:

--- Quote from: Fungus on October 01, 2022, 07:20:50 pm ---
--- Quote from: balnazzar on October 01, 2022, 04:06:29 pm ---Some say that MSO5K's Bode plot are decent and people who say otherwise are just bashers. Others say that those BP are so bad that they are tantamount to being useless.

--- End quote ---

The truth is probably somewhere in between.  :)

--- End quote ---

Not really.
Both Siglent front end and Bode plot implementation is much better. And better, lower nose front end attributes to better dynamic range  in Bode plots.
If Bode plot is really important to you Siglent is better choice.

But MSO5000 has some good sides compared to SDS1104X-E.  It has MSO option and decoding more protocols. It might be better choice for microcontroller digital work.
But for pure analog work SDS1104X-E will outperform it.
Individual vertical knobs or single combined one are not important. They make no difference after you get used to it either way..

But let's get back to your incompletely formulated question:
Only thing clear is approximate budget.

What does "decent" Bode plot means? What are you plan to measure, dynamic range (lowest and highest signals), frequency range.... etc etc..  That will define what you need. Maybe you expect (or need) performance that no scope can do but you need to buy dedicated device that is out of your budget. Which is the point where you change expectations..

Best,

mawyatt:

--- Quote from: nctnico on October 01, 2022, 06:00:15 pm ---Have you considered getting a specific device for doing bode plots? What kind of frequency range are you after? Any amplitude & dynamic range requirements? The analog discovery is mentioned often as a tool for doing bode plots. From a comparison between various oscilloscopes made by one of the forum members, it seems Siglent's bode plot is rather slow so may not be ideal for doing a lot of bode plots in a short time.

--- End quote ---

Having considerable 1st hand experience with the Bode function in the Siglent 2000X+, can say it's quite capable indeed! A little slow, yes, but very versatile.

Siglent has put in considerable effort into this Function, as well as the excellent 2Mpt FFT, and it shows. These functions are for more serious work, not just checking the box for marketing, and not a gimmick function.

We've done various filters, closed loop analysis of complex analog functions, op-amps, and even injection locking oscillator analysis. Here's few threads.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bode-plots-useful/msg3580010/#msg3580010

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/diy-transformer-for-use-with-bode-plots/msg4182022/#msg4182022

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/capacitive-impedance-plots-with-sds2104x-plus-bode-function/msg4335745/#msg4335745

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/injection-locked-peltz-oscillator-with-bode-analysis/msg4424434/#msg4424434

Best,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version