Author Topic: MSO5000 Bode Plot Capability: Is it Good Enough? [Many tips about a 1st scope]  (Read 26571 times)

Offline balnazzarTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
One thing that may be of interest.

The AD2 also has the 'no zoom out' issue, exactly as the Siglents and many other scopes.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
The AD2 also has the 'no zoom out' issue, exactly as the Siglents and many other scopes.

But the Siglent has no excuse, it has many megabytes of memory...

The following users thanked this post: balnazzar

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
I got the AD2 yesterday. I'm fooling around with it, so far i like it :)

I think I just need a flat cable to connect the BNC adapter to the AD2, otherwise the connector won't last long (hoping that the cable won't add too much crosstalk..).

I put some "feet" on the end of my BNC board:

There's a lot of pins so I don't think they'll break easily but it definitely flaps in the breeze without the feet.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 07:25:59 pm by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor

But the Siglent has no excuse, it has many megabytes of memory...

True :( I don't know why they implemented it in such a way. It's clearly a software-side issue, they could address it with little or no effort.

Mine has some "feet" on the end of the BNC board.

There's a lot of pins so I don't think they'll break easily but it definitely flaps in the breeze without the feet.

Mine too (as well as the impedance analyzer). But there are lots of possible situations in which the connector can be stressed. Moving it around.. Inadvertedly pulling the probe upwards, etc.. I still think that one should attach a flat cable and leave it that way, always. Then you swap the accessories at the other end of the flat cable.

I'm finding ribbon cables of all sizes, except of course the 30-pin I need for the AD2.

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

longer cables are electrical but worse. Crosstalk and bandwidth reduction 

Best regards
egonotto

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician

This is not an issue... ::)

Offline JeremyC

• Regular Contributor

I think I just need a flat cable to connect the BNC adapter to the AD2, otherwise the connector won't last long (hoping that the cable won't add too much crosstalk..).

One thing I don't like is indeed the fragility of the stuff  :wtf:. I don't know how they could use them in university labs and not having them broken the first day by the students.

I should get the get the little Siglent today, will keep you posted.

balnazzar, FYI Probably you will be not able to compensate the Siglent probes with the "Digilent BNC" because the AD2 has relatively high input capacitance (~25pF).
You will need probes with compensation range  17pf< and >30pF. I bought "Sumnacon 2 Pack P6100 100 MHz 600V" from Amazon for $12.99, they will compensate 10 - 35pF.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:19:25 pm by JeremyC »

Offline JeremyC

• Regular Contributor

Just capture few periods in the main scope window and use "Zoom" option.

1608916-0

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

One thing I don't like is indeed the fragility of the stuff  :wtf:. I don't know how they could use them in university labs and not having them broken the first day by the students.

balnazzar, FYI Probably you will be not able to compensate the Siglent probes with the "Digilent BNC" because the AD2 has relatively high input capacitance (~25pF).
You will need probes with compensation range  17pf< and >30pF. I bought "Sumnacon 2 Pack P6100 100 MHz 600V" from Amazon for $12.99, they will compensate 10 - 35pF.
Well the probe datasheet suggests otherwise:
https://siglentna.com//wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2022/08/Probe_DataSheet-E01B.pdf
Siglent PP510
Compensation Range 10pF-35pF
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: balnazzar, JeremyC

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

Correct.
On the front panel is a button to access the Zoom feature, clearly visible unless you need vision aids.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline JeremyC

• Regular Contributor

Well the probe datasheet suggests otherwise:
https://siglentna.com//wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2022/08/Probe_DataSheet-E01B.pdf
Siglent PP510
Compensation Range 10pF-35pF

Thank you for the comment. Initially I wrote "will not", and since I never owned probes from Siglent I edited my post and added "probably".
My experience was based on PVP2350 from Rigol (BTW, I wouldn't recommend these probes), I tried also few another Chinese probes and I was never able to compensate.
I have 2 vintage probes and they are working great with the AD2.
 1. Probe Master PM2801A x1, X10
 2. STACK (made in Japan) CP-243 x100

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
The trimmer caps used for probe compensation are not particularly low tolerance, so while the probe is not guaranteed to compensate outside the specified range, it's common for them to have a larger compensation range than specified.

• Frequent Contributor

It's hardly a good thing.

• Frequent Contributor

Thanks man, you taught me something useful!
Here is what I'll buy: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B08B7P3C53/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A90CWHFC472FI&th=1

They are 10-35pF, too. Good price, 200 MHz, and with an useful BNC-minigrabber.

Only, now I'm not sure they'll get along with the (hacked) Siglent.

• Frequent Contributor

Good trick :) Thanks!
(I assume you wanted to say 'more periods'..?)

Offline JeremyC

• Regular Contributor

Good trick :) Thanks!
(I assume you wanted to say 'more periods'..?)
...yes, you're correct I meant "more periods". It happen often... I write, send and read after the fact  :palm: I'm sorry for my bad habits, I'm multitasking too much and   :popcorn:

• Frequent Contributor
Damn, only now I noticed that the AD2 had a 30% student discount, at least in the US...  : :wtf:

Does someone know if that's valid for EU too?? I can't find anything about that upon their website...  ???

Offline JeremyC

• Regular Contributor

Thanks man, you taught me something useful!
Here is what I'll buy: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B08B7P3C53/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A90CWHFC472FI&th=1

They are 10-35pF, too. Good price, 200 MHz, and with an useful BNC-minigrabber.

Only, now I'm not sure they'll get along with the (hacked) Siglent.

balnazzar, I suggest don't order another probes before you try these from Siglent, they may be OK. See replies #183 and #185.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:50:57 pm by JeremyC »

Offline JeremyC

• Regular Contributor
Damn, only now I noticed that the AD2 had a 30% student discount, at least in the US...  : :wtf:

Does someone know if that's valid for EU too?? I can't find anything about that upon their website...  ???

You should contact Digilent, they may give the refund. In worst case you may return it to Amazon and repurchase from another vendor (assuming that the discount applies to EU countries).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:53:50 pm by JeremyC »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments

I put some "feet" on the end of my BNC board:
Perhaps there is someone selling aftermarket casings to hold both boards together. Or make something out of wood or metal that does the same.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Re: MSO5000 Bode Plotting Capability: Is it Good Enough?
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2022, 12:55:02 am »
Hello,

I am biased and I like them, but in the meantime they have become very expensive. Maybe you'll get them academically.

Best regards
egonotto

Hello balnazzar,

Sorry I didn't make it clearer above.

trenz electronic sells Analog Discovery 2 - academically - but "order possible, delivery time on request" and "sale of academic articles only within Germany and Austria."

Best Regards
egonotto

« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 01:02:55 am by egonotto »

• Frequent Contributor

Correct.
On the front panel is a button to access the Zoom feature, clearly visible unless you need vision aids.

To be frank, this is still an issue, albeit mitigated (not solved) by the zoom function.

One thing is capturing whatever you want to capture with a number of periods of your choice, with the freedom of zooming out whenever you see fit to do it.
Another, different thing is that you have to remember to capture more periods than you need in that moment, and then use the zoom function to observe what you need to observe at that same moment...

To be even more frank, I'm starting to feel a bit worn off by the sarcasm.

Anyhow...
Isn't the SDS1104X-E supposed to come with a screen protector that you peel off before using the scope? Because mine came without the film, and the screen was pretty smeared.

Preliminary assessment of the scope:

- Faster than I thought. Its UI responsiveness is more or less on par with the SDS5000. The screen is small but with good contrast and brightness, waay better than Hantek's.

- A lot LOUDER than I expected. I mean it's so loud that I cannot reasonably concentrate upon my work.. I did actually read upon other threads that it was "a bit loud", but it resembles a damn vacuum cleaner...

See: https://youtu.be/A2SWDrhy9M8 (video made with an iPad pro which has a pretty good microphone array).

Either I'll return it (but there are no real alternatives) or I keep it, but I mandatorily have to put a Noctua in it. Will this kill the warranty?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 02:05:05 am by balnazzar »

• Frequent Contributor
Re: MSO5000 Bode Plotting Capability: Is it Good Enough?
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2022, 01:23:59 am »

trenz electronic sells Analog Discovery 2 - academically - but "order possible, delivery time on request" and "sale of academic articles only within Germany and Austria."

But this tells us that Digilent probably applies the edu discount worldwide.. Mh... I'll send them an e-mail. Thanks.

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

Digilent lists four Italian distributors.
DISTRELEC, ITALIA SRL. www.distrelec.it.
FARNELL ITALY it.farnell.com.
MIRIFICA S.R.L. www.mirifica.it
and
RS COMPONENTS S.P.A. - TUTTI I DIRITTI SONO it.rs-online.com/web/.
Maybe it helps to ask there.

Best Regards
egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

Digilent lists four Italian distributors.
DISTRELEC, ITALIA SRL. www.distrelec.it.
FARNELL ITALY it.farnell.com.
MIRIFICA S.R.L. www.mirifica.it
and
RS COMPONENTS S.P.A. - TUTTI I DIRITTI SONO it.rs-online.com/web/.
Maybe it helps to ask there.

Best Regards
egonotto

As soon as I learned about the edu discount, I checked their (local distributors) listings. They don't mention discounted version. But it won't hurt to send them a few emails. Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf