Author Topic: MSO5000 Signal Generator Output Protection?  (Read 881 times)

Offline The DoktorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
MSO5000 Signal Generator Output Protection?
« on: May 17, 2022, 02:03:18 pm »
Does anyone know if the signal generator on a Rigol MSO5000 will be damaged if the output is shorted? Any reverse power protection? I couldn't find this info in the manual.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: MSO5000 Signal Generator Output Protection?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 02:47:25 pm »
A short at the output of a signal generator, for sure will not damage a generator.  By construction, any generator should be able to generate full signal while shorted indefinetly without any damage.  In RF this is a frequent situation.  The so called 50 ohm impedance output is in fact a series 50 ohms resistor.

Not sure what you have in mind when saying reversed power.  About pushing power into the output of a signal generator, it depends how much power.  If not too much, it might survive.

For example, my Rigol DG4202 is auto-disconecting its output when voltage from outside is detected.

Offline Wrenches of Death

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 01:54:11 am »
Does anyone know if the signal generator on a Rigol MSO5000 will be damaged if the output is shorted? Any reverse power protection? I couldn't find this info in the manual.

I use the cobbled together gadget in  the attached pictures to keep DC from roasting the output attenuator of my signal generators. Inside of the heat shrink sleeve, is a 600 volt ceramic disc .1 uf capacitor connected between the center pin of the male and the center pin of the female coaxial connectors.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to use one than to have to rebuild an output attenuator.

For AC, you're on your own.

WoD

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 01:58:12 am by Wrenches of Death »

Offline epsilon888

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 10:09:38 pm »
No problem, the outputs will look into everything between a short circuit and infinite resistance when used as signal generator. Of course it will handle reflected power from it's own outputs.
BTW the MSO5000 series are all the same hardware, and very easy to "upgrade" to 350MHz / 4 channels with all options. PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 10:11:43 pm by epsilon888 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf