Products > Test Equipment

MSOX2024A scope probe problem

<< < (4/4)

eevblogfan:
hey

just wanted to tell you

there is mini grabber ( hook )

and there''s micro grabber ( the one like tweezers )

so next time you'll know to differentiate  :-+

jmole:
semantics aside, "micrograbbers" are way more versatile than traditional scope probes, and the reduction in size seems like a total win to me.

alm:

--- Quote from: eevblogfan on May 02, 2013, 06:45:34 pm ---there is mini grabber ( hook )

and there''s micro grabber ( the one like tweezers )

--- End quote ---
Pomona uses both minigrabber(R) and micrograbber(R) to indicate different sizes of grabber and pincer type clips. Some distributors refer to the Agilent 10075A clips for 0.5 mm TQFP/SOIC devices as 'micrograbbers'. The term mini grabbers is occasionally used for cheap Chinese knock-offs of EZ-hook XKM mini-pincers. I would propose that both terms are meaningless for anything but indicating some fairly small test clip.

The EZ-hook/Tek KlipChip clips are great for not too high density SMT devices, and through hole no larger than DIP or 1/4 W resistors. Not sure if I agree that they're more versatile though. They are less stable than grabber hooks (on parts that fit both), I've had them detach much more often. The grabber hook is fairly useless on a modern circuit board, but is much better for grabbing larger diameter leads (eg. power resistors) or wires. So the manufacturer still would have to offer both.

The Agilent 0.5 mm grabbers that Dave showed in his latest Mailbag segment are even less versatile. They're fairly fragile, and only suited for the fine pitch devices they were designed for. I wouldn't use one for DIP or even SOIC, they're way too expensive for that.

Most good probes either ship with or offer as an optional accessory flying leads adapters with 0.020/0.025" sockets on the end that accept various SMT grabbers. These adapters also have the advantage of lowering the mass pulling on the connectors (see my earlier comment about detaching clips). I really liked the Tek P656x form factor, but I guess they were too fragile.

There also appears to be a mechanical problem with designing slip-on pincer-type clips. The only example I know of for normal passive probes is a Tektronix IC grabber slip-on clip that was probably designed in the eighties or early nineties for grabbing DIP leads. It was absolutely worthless, wouldn't hold on to anything with the weight of the probe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version