Author Topic: Multimeter dilemma: HIOKI DT4212 or KYORITSU KEW1012  (Read 10194 times)

Offline NegativeONETopic starter

• Contributor
    • NegativeONE - personal page
Multimeter dilemma: HIOKI DT4212 or KYORITSU KEW1012
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:12:59 pm »
Hello all.

I'm going to upgrade my equipement and one of the things I'm planning to buy is a decent multimeter, right now my choice lies between HIOKI DT4212 and KYORITSU KEW1012. Maybe someone uses any of those? I would like to hear your opinions on those multimeters.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:16:07 pm by NegativeONE »
ONE never notices what has been done;
ONE can only see what remains to be done;

http://www.negativeone.pl

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Multimeter dilemma: HIOKI DT4212 or KYORITSU KEW1012
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 03:35:09 am »
I am curious why you have chosen these particular meters. I don't think many people here have had much experience with these so I expect the responses to be little or none. What prices can you buy these for?

Seeing as you are in Poland, you might want to look at some of the offerings at tme.eu. I would recommend this one if you are looking for an alternative:
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/bm257/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/#

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 05:59:56 am »
I have no hands-on experience with these meters.
In my view, Japanese meters are not really good value for money. They are well built, but rather pricey for a limited set of features. These two are no exception. Primarily low count electrician meters, their CAT ratings are rather measly, with a max of CAT III 600V rating. If I had to choose between these two for electronic work, I would go for the Kyoritsu 1012 for its higher count, Min/Max and better capacitance range.
I'm not sure what they sell for in Poland, but I would also look first at the Brymen range of multimeters for extra value.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:03:06 am by Wytnucls »

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 06:34:10 pm »
HIOKI is high end quality, they last forever and keep accuracy.

I just got their new DT4252, its so fast.

It has best contrast LCD displays and are probably the fastest in its class. Quality it even with Fluke.
They are known to be pricey however they last for many years. I have 3801-50 model that I use every day for the last 10 years.

Switch selector on this model is a bit better than Fluke and we all know that Fluke is very good..

I dont think Kyoritsy is the same quality class as Hioki, take a look at teardowns of Kyoristy and compare to Hioki.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:49:47 pm by zaoka »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 06:43:55 pm »
Yes the Hiokis might be nice, but the price for those specs and features is crazy. As Wytnucls said, there are better values to be had. I am glad you like yours but $140 for 0.3% basic accuracy?

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 06:48:41 pm »
I am curious why you have chosen these particular meters.

Quite a long story by which I came across the EEVblog last month. I chose those meters because I would try something different than most users are buying. And you know Doc, all the best stuff is made in Japan :)

What prices can you buy these for?

A little bit more than BM257. I was also considering buying this Brymen, but i was curious about opinions on Kyoritsu and Hioki this low mid-range multimeters.

I'm not sure what they sell for in Poland

You can buy almost everything but equipement it's a little  pricier than in west part of EU.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »
Well if you are willing to give the Hioki a try, we would be happy to have your review on it. It would certainly raise awareness of the brand. But..... I still think it would not be your best buy. The BM257 is a REALLY nice meter that does almost anything a hobbiest needs plus some. It is missing a couple of small things like True RMS AC+DC and it won't test LEDS. Other than that I cannot fault it in any way.

The Hioki is well built I am sure, but it is less accurate and has less functions and range.

So get the Hioki and make us happy with your review or get the Brymen and make yourself happy.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:47:15 pm by Lightages »

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:25:05 pm »
I have few days to think which to choose, Hioki should be available by the end of the month and if I'll choose this one or Kyoritsu I'll make a review and teardown. Any particular aspects of the multimeter that I should include in review ?

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:30:01 pm »
I hate to post Kiriakos site but he listed some features of a better model of Hioki.

http://www.ittsb.eu/DT4282%20review.html

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 02:42:21 am »
I have few days to think which to choose, Hioki should be available by the end of the month and if I'll choose this one or Kyoritsu I'll make a review and teardown. Any particular aspects of the multimeter that I should include in review ?

Just watch some of the reviews a Dave and some of us have made and read a few here and get a good idea on what people generally like to see. The main part of course is to see inside!

Offline popamp

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 03:15:11 am »
all the best stuff is made in Japan :)

I am curious... are these hiokis actually made in Japan? I am a bit of a japanophile myself

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 08:10:04 am »
Hioki's marketing people need to spell check their brochures ...

http://www.hioki.com/product/pdf/DT4210E2-39E.pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf