Author Topic: Multimeter with probe holders on the sides vs back - any advantage?  (Read 902 times)

Offline sleemanjTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
So I was looking around Aliexpress meters in the $10-20 range, and came across a couple of (new?) offerings from BSIDE (who previously have been a Mastech rebadger), probably also sold by others but I haven't actually seen any, the ADM62 (2000 cnt), ADM66 (6000 cnt) and ADMS6 ("smart", or perhaps "silly")

These all seem to have the same case design and what is most striking is the probe holders being on the sides rather than on the back as is "traditional".  Aesthetically I think this looks really dorky, like big flappy ears, but I'm wondering if there is some advantage to having them on the side rather than the back, perhaps in the way maybe electricians or something might use them?  I can't say I've actually had any reason to use a meter's probe holders for anything at all, but my meters seldom leave my bench.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Multimeter with probe holders on the sides vs back - any advantage?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 09:23:59 pm »
Rear ones are better and yes they are useful when you have nowhere to put your DMM other than to hold it.....unless you have 3 sets of hands.  :o
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
Re: Multimeter with probe holders on the sides vs back - any advantage?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 04:44:40 pm »
I have used the probe holders when working inside panels. Allows me to hold the meter in one hand with the probe in its holder on the neutral or common and probe around with the other.

For me there is no real difference in side or rear mounted holders. You might find on the odd occasion that the layout of the components in a panel favour one type or another for access, but most of the time I can cope.

Kind regards.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf