Poll

Handheld Multimeter (OEM) Brand Ranking - Which ones do you prefer in Terms of Accuracy, Build Quality etc.

Fluke
29 (37.7%)
Chauvin Arnoux (Metrix)
4 (5.2%)
Gossen Metrawatt
7 (9.1%)
Keysight (Agilent)
13 (16.9%)
Brymen
13 (16.9%)
APPA
0 (0%)
C.E.M.
2 (2.6%)
Mastech
1 (1.3%)
Hioki
6 (7.8%)
EEVblog 121GW ;-)
1 (1.3%)
other Rebranding (see my comment) etc.
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: October 18, 2019, 06:24:37 am

Author Topic: Multimeters with (Color) Graphic Display - Summary & Comparison  (Read 20682 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Multimeters with (Color) Graphic Display - Summary & Comparison
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2022, 12:30:20 pm »
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills and forced to describe why the literal entire world has moved to color LCDs, along with every other category of test measurement equipment out there

Ummm.. nobody's saying the screen isn't nice. What they're saying is that there's disadvantages, too.

So many of them that the screen isn't worth it - we can read the number on an LCD just fine, thanks.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2022, 12:31:37 pm »
Chances are the scope meter picture is not a real photo, but more like some photo-shop edit. The B&W LCD looks like photographed with a flash light. Under this conditions - the color LCD would be hardly readable.  Similar in sun light, color LCD may need shade or very high power backlight.

Color LCD is nice for indoor use and mains powered, but not that great for a portable instrument running from non rechargable batteries. For DMMs color LCD is more like an exception and will likely stay that way.

Online HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2022, 12:32:39 pm »
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills and forced to describe why the literal entire world has moved to color LCDs, along with every other category of test measurement equipment out there

It looks like you are not understanding the tradeoffs with color displays.
Many times when using a DMM you need to read one value, nothing else. The meter must also work every time it is pulled out of the bag.
With the old fashioned 7 segment LCD I only need a pack of batteries for backup and it will do it reliable.
With a graphic LCD I need charger, a 1 hour break and a mains outlet to get the meter working (If I do not charge it every night).

As I wrote above: I like my graphic meters, but they have serious drawbacks.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2022, 12:46:18 pm »

Well the numbers on the right screen are smaller than on the F87, and also it is photoshop of screengrab from software . In real life it doesn't look like that. It looks much worse than F87. So yeah, it's worse, despite all the graphics and color. That is what you're incapable to understand apparently. 

Take a look at comparison of MTX3293 and BM869S..Secondary display numbers on BM869S are larger than primary on MTX3293. Guess which one has better visibility (as in capability to read values off the screen) ?

Also I now understand. You would like to replace multimeters with meter functionality from scopemeters. And a big screen from scopemeter. In a box that you need hold with two hands. And all for the price of simple meter...  Good plan. Not gonna happen.

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2022, 01:43:32 pm »
Let me try another approach.  Here is a screenshot of the forum as of a couple minutes ago.  In red, I show the 17 threads which concern something with a color display.  In black, there are 5 threads about devices which don't (and two of those are about the same device).  Threads which aren't about one specific device aren't counted.

The test measurement industry seems to think they're useful somewhere....

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2022, 02:11:08 pm »
Let me try another approach.  Here is a screenshot of the forum as of a couple minutes ago.  In red, I show the 17 threads which concern something with a color display.  In black, there are 5 threads about devices which don't (and two of those are about the same device).  Threads which aren't about one specific device aren't counted.

The test measurement industry seems to think they're useful somewhere....

And how many are handheld multimeters of those??

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2022, 02:38:34 pm »
Almost none, which is exactly the point.  DMM market is stuck with UIs and display tech from the 70s.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2022, 02:59:59 pm »
Almost none, which is exactly the point.  DMM market is stuck with UIs and display tech from the 70s.

It's what people want, obviously.  :-//

Don't believe me? Start a forum poll.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2022, 03:01:49 pm »

Scopes are not multimeters. Signal generators are not multimeters. Active loads are not multimeters.
Benchtop multimeters are not handheld. They are not battery powered and use as much as 20-30 W (or more) to run.
They are meant to be used at arms length, at room temperatures...
By operators that have time and skill to operate complicated menus..

And you're completely missed the point. Point is there are not many GRAPHICAL multimeters (even B/W screen ones) at all.
And that is not because nobody is "modern enough" to make them. 10-15 years ago there was a moment when there was quite few graphical multimeters at one time.
And they all stopped being made, because there was NO DEMAND for it. There is no real market. They were big, bulky, heavy, had rechargeable batteries that lasted only short time. They were powerful, smart devices and nobody wanted them in handheld format. Then benchtop meters started getting those graphical screens, and that was well liked. You could do all kinds of advanced stuff: histograms, data tables, plots the whole nine yards..
And that is what you buy to work at desk. If you need to carry it around, you get handhelds. In a format that is, well, handheld.

And it is not stuck with U/I and tech from 70ies. It is ONLY low power, high reliability, large temp range display technology in combination perfect for handheld meters.

And it measures values that are expressed numerically. So it shows numbers.
What do you need, some Teletubbies display that will show flowers for good voltage and little poop icon when battery is dead?

You're confused. Manufacturers of the world will manufacture ANYTHING.. Any crap, as long as there are those that will buy it. Fact that nobody makes it IS the writing on the wall...

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2022, 03:12:59 pm »
nothing better than a good (optionally backlit) black and white lcd.
- highest contrast possible
- sunlight readable
- readable in twilight/ dark ( backlit)
- no pixel flickering / refresh
- sharp font ( no dithering )
- small characters are not restricted to pixel size. the character is a vector etched during manufacturing of the display

now, if you are going to go graphic :
give me trend plot and waveform view so i can look for net disturbances. i don't need a scope but i would like to see at least 100ks/s waveform view so i can look at dimmers and potential interference on powerlines. something i do not like doing with an oscilloscope...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2022, 05:36:32 pm »
There's also things like this:

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2022, 06:09:06 pm »
I have the CA Metrix 3293 and the Peaktech.
The Metrix is a superb DMM, great feature set, very accurate, IP67 and great display. The only things I don't like about it is the top, end location of the lead sockets and it is battery hungry, so recharging is frequent if it's on the bench all day. The Peaktech is superb value for money, great feature set, very useable and well made, and, good battery life.
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2022, 06:48:41 pm »
nothing better than a good (optionally backlit) black and white lcd.
- highest contrast possible
- sunlight readable
- readable in twilight/ dark ( backlit)
- no pixel flickering / refresh
- sharp font ( no dithering )
- small characters are not restricted to pixel size. the character is a vector etched during manufacturing of the display

give me trend plot and waveform view so i can look for net disturbances. i don't need a scope but i would like to see at least 100ks/s waveform view so i can look at dimmers and potential interference on powerlines. something i do not like doing with an oscilloscope...

And after not even Metrix 3293 does that, I succumbed and just bought Micsig scope. And carry that if I really need to see waveforms somewhere outside lab. And for people that need to look at power network, they eventually buy handheld power analyzers and industrial scopemeters and such...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2022, 07:50:10 pm »

Something like this?

https://www.owon.com.hk/products_owon_hds200_series_digital_oscilloscope

It seems to me like the person complaining "they don't exist!!" really has quite a few to choose from.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2022, 09:48:25 pm »
"Mobile phone body"?!?

I don't think I've seen a mobile phone that big, outside of Dom Joly's Trigger Happy TV!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2022, 11:58:28 pm »
"Mobile phone body"?!?

I don't think I've seen a mobile phone that big, outside of Dom Joly's Trigger Happy TV!

Haven't you seen the leaked pics of the iPhone14?

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2022, 04:44:10 am »
I was unaware of these graphical developments in the handheld DMM's. Some of them look nice. I'm too the point I should really take the batteries out of my good DMM, I just use a benchmeter, and haven't had much need for more than 1 meter at a time.

But yeah, it's like going from B/W TV to color. Some day I'd love to get a scope-meter, with the price of an rtx3080, I'd be way smarter to get a SM or better Oscope, that will last me for years.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2022, 06:47:56 am »
"Mobile phone body"?!?

Haven't you seen the leaked pics of the iPhone14?

:-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2022, 09:16:09 am »
But yeah, it's like going from B/W TV to color.

Again: Nobody's denying they're pretty but I know a guy who has that OWON and the battery constantly needs charging and whenever I need to use it I have to spend a minute pressing buttons to scroll through the ranges and find the right one. I guess you'd learn the menu structure but the battery is a pain in the ass.

With an LCD meter I just pick it up and use it, it's way faster and gives me the same numbers, so... where's the problem?

I really don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2022, 12:30:22 pm »
Does anyone make DMM's w/ it's own Li battery, like a cellphone, and that charges over a cable ? I don't normally have spare batteries, so for me it would be better. For some people I'm sure they'd still want batteries they could buy at a any corner store tho.

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2022, 12:42:58 pm »
Most of the color units posted in this thread have built-in rechargeable cells.

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2022, 12:43:31 pm »
Does anyone make DMM's w/ it's own Li battery, like a cellphone, and that charges over a cable ? I don't normally have spare batteries, so for me it would be better.

If only somebody would make AA/AAA/PP3 batteries that can be recharged...

In your rush to snark I think you missed the "charges over a cable" part of the question.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2022, 12:48:19 pm »
Does anyone make DMM's w/ it's own Li battery, like a cellphone, and that charges over a cable ? I don't normally have spare batteries, so for me it would be better.

The best answer is to own many multimeters. One of them is bound to work. :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2022, 01:07:41 pm »
I think you missed the "charges over a cable" part of the question.

Or... maybe we can stay away from the idea that all battery power devices are constantly running out.

You know, like all those old LCD multimeters that go for years and years between battery changes. In real life you'll probably change the battery less often in one of those than you'll be will in any kind of rechargeable multimeter.

(and if you think AA batteries are inconvenient to find, wait until you need a new custom-size LiPO for your cable-chargeable multimeter after it's a few years old and no longer holds a charge)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2022, 02:08:55 pm »
The best answer is to own many multimeters. One of them is bound to work. :)

Thank you for providing me with a plausible excuse...    ;)
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf