Author Topic: My first multimeter,but which one ?  (Read 28073 times)

Offline Wolfram.ChromeTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
  • https://goo.gl/h2GXKY
My first multimeter,but which one ?
« on: January 03, 2016, 07:42:23 am »
As soon i will buy my first multimeter for general purpose in electronics.
I will build power supply,radio bugs,dosimeters,amplifiers etc.
I need an multimeter with deep precision ,something capable to measure mV's,mA's,µA's etc.
I'm really undecided over this DMM's here :
Fluke 87V
HIOKI DT 4256
Brymen 86x.
For example i really like fluke 87 v ,but i think this one will be very capricious,because i will be unable to calibrate it by my self,where i live is impossible to go in some kind of this center-service and do the calibration and others kind of stuff like this.
Fluke is a very great DMM,but it doesn't have metal thread inserts inside the plastic components where screws are inserted for the most part.
Seems like a stupid design oversight to me from a benchmark DMM and of Fluke quality.?
*********************************************************************************
Hioki 4256 is a very nice multimeter ,very well done with build quality ,but the precision  for this range of price make me a little bit sad about this DMM,also because i don't like when something like this is complicated to mantain like fluke 87v too.
*********************************************************************************
Brymen 86x seems to be an great candidate for my pocket :D ,but also here im not sure,because i still don't know if is possible to mantain,calibrate it by my self,i dont know if this multimeter is really good like the others 2 (hioki/fluke) because i never heard something before about this brand.
Please help me to choose some DMM also if it will be of another brand.
Thanks to all.
 :-DMM
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:12:40 am by Wolfram.Chrome »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: My first multimeter,but which one ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:20:42 am »
If this is your first DMM, I can only assume you don't have calibration equipment. What makes you think you can calibrate any meter properly? Pick a meter that you like and don't worry about the calibration issue. You can't do it anyway.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:52:18 am »
If this is your first DMM, I can only assume you don't have calibration equipment. What makes you think you can calibrate any meter properly? Pick a meter that you like and don't worry about the calibration issue. You can't do it anyway.
LOL Lightages, I'd heard of this before I knew anything about DMM's and I know shite all.
http://www.voltagestandard.com/DMMCheck_Plus.html
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 09:08:03 am »
The DMM Check is a great tool, for doing a what? A check, a sanity check, of the function of your meter. It will not it any way help you do a calibration of any of the meters he listed. They need voltages in DC and AC, resistor values, current sources in AC and DC, capacitors, etc, all in values specific to the different models.

For example, the Brymen BM869s needs 48 specific values at accuracy ten times the accuracy of the ranges being calibrated.

The following users thanked this post: gameru

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 09:19:01 am »
LOL Lightages, I'd heard of this before I knew anything about DMM's and I know shite all.
http://www.voltagestandard.com/DMMCheck_Plus.html

The DMMcheck is as it's name describes, a "check" for your DMM. It should not be used to "calibrate" your meter.
To properly explain why requires knowledge of metrology.
By far the best way the average person can keep track of the accuracy and hence "calibration" of their meter is to get two meters and regularly check them against each other periodically.
If you have to actually adjust your meter to make it "calibrated", then you've likely got a crap quality meter that is likely not worthy of being "calibrated" to begin with. i.e. it's a meter that drifts, and that's a bad thing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:20:55 am by EEVblog »

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 09:23:44 am »
Wolfram.Chrome
The quicker you forget about calibrating your DMM, the better it will be ;) Trust me.
Proper calibration of even 4.5 digit meter like F87V to it's accuracies would need few thousands of $$$ in calibration sources and deep understanding of calibration procedures and requirements.

Fluke is nice meter, but not that capable on low mV/uA ranges. If you want max resolution go with Brymen, if you like robust and high safety design - Fluke.
I have 87V, and it's often my meter to go if need just a quick check.

For more precision work (if you even will even need anything more than 4.5 digits actually), you can jump in second-hand market for some used but checked 34401A or Keithley 2000. With some patience, you can get good working ones for 200-250$.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 09:55:47 am »
Wolfram.Chrome
The quicker you forget about calibrating your DMM, the better it will be ;) Trust me.
Proper calibration of even 4.5 digit meter like F87V to it's accuracies would need few thousands of $$$ in calibration sources and deep understanding of calibration procedures and requirements.

Fluke is nice meter, but not that capable on low mV/uA ranges. If you want max resolution go with Brymen, if you like robust and high safety design - Fluke.
I have 87V, and it's often my meter to go if need just a quick check.

For more precision work (if you even will even need anything more than 4.5 digits actually), you can jump in second-hand market for some used but checked 34401A or Keithley 2000. With some patience, you can get good working ones for 200-250$.

Thanks you my dear friend from Ukraine :)
I will think about brymen ,because actually i need an MULTIMETER,so after it in the future i will get some more serious voltmeter,ampermeter like kenthley.
:)
Thanks you again,but i still have an question.
If an simple owner of he's DMM can't bring back the calibration,this mean that after 2 or maybe also 3 years he must to trash the DMM which he's own or choose to spend a lot of $$$ for official calibration service ?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 10:11:35 am »
If an simple owner of he's DMM can't bring back the calibration,this mean that after 2 or maybe also 3 years he must to trash the DMM which he's own or choose to spend a lot of $$$ for official calibration service ?

You worry too much. It's very unlikely they will drift, they're designed not to. Most people will never see any drift at all of a good multimeter.

You normally only need calibration if you make devices that need a legal certification or something.

The following users thanked this post: Hobby73

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 10:12:50 am »
Why would you think so? While long-term accuracy of DMM (as well as any other measurement device) is degrading, rate of this effect usually is so small, that you would hardly find any difference even 5 years after. Of course if you abuse meter, it could affect accuracy more, but given usual usage for DIY electronics engineer, specially low-voltage/low-power stuff you can ignore long-term effects.

Fluke I have is already 8 years old, and still spot on at anything I throw at it. Never calibrated it.
It's often opposite direction, as meters from respectable vendors, like Fluke, HP/Agilent/K, Brymen are calibrated better than their listed specs are, giving you enough headroom for possible drift and long-term accuracy for many years. Also after couple first years internal references and resistors in meters become more stable (as initial stress from manufacturing/soldering get relaxed) and more stable than fresh instrument. It's not rare to have people buying 20-year old bench DMM from ebay and having it perform better than brand-new instrument of same grade/spec.

So no, you don't need usually calibration at all unless something goes wrong and your meter need repair (in which case you will need another meters, proper signal sources anyway to even test it).

Don't read and apply stuff from countless volt-nut threads about hi-end meters, which are often discussed here and elsewhere. Hand-held DMMs and bench precision DMMs are different beasts, with different specs and requirements. Insane people there usually hunting after 0.0001% accuracy levels and such  :bullshit: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:20:21 am by TiN »
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 10:42:05 am »
Why would you think so? While long-term accuracy of DMM (as well as any other measurement device) is degrading, rate of this effect usually is so small, that you would hardly find any difference even 5 years after. Of course if you abuse meter, it could affect accuracy more, but given usual usage for DIY electronics engineer, specially low-voltage/low-power stuff you can ignore long-term effects.

Fluke I have is already 8 years old, and still spot on at anything I throw at it. Never calibrated it.
It's often opposite direction, as meters from respectable vendors, like Fluke, HP/Agilent/K, Brymen are calibrated better than their listed specs are, giving you enough headroom for possible drift and long-term accuracy for many years. Also after couple first years internal references and resistors in meters become more stable (as initial stress from manufacturing/soldering get relaxed) and more stable than fresh instrument. It's not rare to have people buying 20-year old bench DMM from ebay and having it perform better than brand-new instrument of same grade/spec.

So no, you don't need usually calibration at all unless something goes wrong and your meter need repair (in which case you will need another meters, proper signal sources anyway to even test it).

Don't read and apply stuff from countless volt-nut threads about hi-end meters, which are often discussed here and elsewhere. Hand-held DMMs and bench precision DMMs are different beasts, with different specs and requirements. Insane people there usually hunting after 0.0001% accuracy levels and such  :bullshit: :popcorn:

Thanks you too to share your awesome knowledge :)
By now im more relaxed and also more happy ,so at this point i will get brymen 869s then fluke 87V for better definition and accuracy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:27:24 am by Wolfram.Chrome »

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 11:26:03 am »
We have multiple 87's at work (all generations) and we never ever had one fail calibration. So calibration is not an issue unless you really want to do your best to blow up the meter.

I would recommend the Fluke 87V. Their great, except for the default AC amps range. They keep their value, you can get spare parts if needed, and they're reliable.
Trying is the first step towards failure

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 11:36:26 am »
We have multiple 87's at work (all generations) and we never ever had one fail calibration. So calibration is not an issue unless you really want to do your best to blow up the meter.

I would recommend the Fluke 87V. Their great, except for the default AC amps range. They keep their value, you can get spare parts if needed, and they're reliable.

Man i haven't enough money for all the things i want  :'(
I need an DMM,soldering station,flux,sal amoniac,tin,i need other kind of tips for the iron,i need an scope i need Smart Tweezers ST5S,ESR meter too for transistors.
I can't handle all this stuff in one time ,so i must to be very carefull how im spending my money.
I must to buy the best at lower price as possible,it's hard but i must to done this,because no other alternative here :(
After you said about the fluke 87V im again indecided over brymen and fluke ,i like that model of fluke 87V,but as TiN said before brymen is the way if you want micro measurement and hi-res.

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 12:25:38 pm »
Hi Wolfram.Chrome,

Most of the time, the precision has too meanings. :)

One is the accuracy of the absolute value what DMM shows on the LCD.
Major brand DMM including Fluke, Hioki, Bryman which you have listed are calibration and adjusted way beyond what the spec defines on the datasheet before they are sold.
Only calibration is required in the aftermarket if you would like to know the value have not drifted for long term usage like years.
The most of the reason corporate users calibrate the test equipment is to have proof (to customers) that their measurement is in good condition.
I really do not feel regular users would need to calibrate the handheld DMM with the brands you listed for personal usage.
Most of the people do not calibrating Fluke 87V who is using for personal projects.
Because it is not so important for many people to prove that your DMM have not drifted. Since, it costs extra calibration fee, when those big brands are known to be stable.

Another one is resolution of the value what DMM shows on the LCD.
This is more important for personal electronic project.
This is mostly has high correlation with the spec of counts on the DMM too.
The 50000 counts DMM could show lower digits than 6000 one’s for measuring mV's,mA's,µA's etc. (87v could go up to 20,000 counts)

I have a feeling that you were mainly concerned about the second meaning.
Better resolution will provide you the good measurement on mV's,mA's,µA's.
Even you have paid for the calibrating fee every year; you cannot change or improve resolution of your DMM.

Also, when buying DMM, other aspects such as the speed of autorange and continuity test are also important.

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 12:32:12 pm »
Hi Wolfram.Chrome,

Most of the time, the precision has too meanings. :)

One is the accuracy of the absolute value what DMM shows on the LCD.
Major brand DMM including Fluke, Hioki, Bryman which you have listed are calibration and adjusted way beyond what the spec defines on the datasheet before they are sold.
Only calibration is required in the aftermarket if you would like to know the value have not drifted for long term usage like years.
The most of the reason corporate users calibrate the test equipment is to have proof (to customers) that their measurement is in good condition.
I really do not feel regular users would need to calibrate the handheld DMM with the brands you listed for personal usage.
Most of the people do not calibrating Fluke 87V who is using for personal projects.
Because it is not so important for many people to prove that your DMM have not drifted. Since, it costs extra calibration fee, when those big brands are known to be stable.

Another one is resolution of the value what DMM shows on the LCD.
This is more important for personal electronic project.
This is mostly has high correlation with the spec of counts on the DMM too.
The 50000 counts DMM could show lower digits than 6000 one’s for measuring mV's,mA's,µA's etc. (87v could go up to 20,000 counts)

I have a feeling that you were mainly concerned about the second meaning.
Better resolution will provide you the good measurement on mV's,mA's,µA's.
Even you have paid for the calibrating fee every year; you cannot change or improve resolution of your DMM.

Also, when buying DMM, other aspects such as the speed of autorange and continuity test are also important.

Thanks you ,im learning again good stuff :)

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 01:46:16 pm »
I regret to say I kind of have all three of these. :)
(This is one of the bad influences after I joined reading eevblog forum, it is like disease keep make you feel to buy more DMMs. Please do not laugh) :)

Fluke 87V
HIOKI DT 4256
Sanwa PC7000 (I think inside is Brymen 86x)

This is my short impression.
The Fluke 87V is not cheap but the most rugged DMM among three and feel confident.
Could go up to 20,000 counts in hi-res mode, so I could measure down to 0.01ohm.

The HIOKI DT4256 is also not cheap but it the fastest to autorange and settle the value when measuring.
It is 6000 counts so it could only measure to 0.1ohm.

Sanwa PC7000 has 50,000 counts as a default feature so always able to measure down to 0.01ohm.
But is is the slowest until the value on LCD settles when measuring devices.

All three have extremely fast continuity testing speed. (not all is good like this)

I tend to pick HIOKI first on measuring because the measurement settles in quickest time.
It is good when you are in short temper. :)

But when I need more resolution, I choose 87V.

If I have to pick only one DMM when I was young among this three for my personal usage and have budget constraints, probably I will pick Brymen.
Because it has the most value for money.
And I would buy more expensive DMM when I get better earnings. :)

The Fluke was always something I wanted to have when I did not have money. :)
My first DMM was around 65 USD when I was in high school after saving money for long time. :)
Before I buy my own DMM, I always had to borrow the analog multi meter from my father.
It is my old good memories.

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 02:06:48 pm »
(This is one of the bad influences after I joined reading eevblog forum, it is like disease keep make you feel to buy more DMMs. Please do not laugh) :)

Fluke 87V
HIOKI DT 4256

The Fluke 87V is not cheap but the most rugged DMM among three and feel confident.
Could go up to 20,000 counts in hi-res mode, so I could measure down to 0.01ohm.

The HIOKI DT4256 is also not cheap but it the fastest to autorange and settle the value when measuring.

Sanwa PC7000 has 50,000 counts as a default feature so always able to measure down to 0.01ohm.

All three have extremely fast continuity testing speed. (not all is good like this)

I tend to pick HIOKI first on measuring because the measurement settles in quickest time.

If I have to pick only one DMM when I was young among this three for my personal usage and have budget constraints, probably I will pick Brymen.

My first DMM was around 65 USD when I was in high school after saving money for long time. :)
Before I buy my own DMM, I always had to borrow the analog multi meter from my father.

Hey man you are awesome :)
I like your mind and your stories ,did you have an youtube channel ?
i wish to check it out :)

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 04:33:39 pm »

Fluke 87V
HIOKI DT 4256

The Sanwa does not appear to be a BM86x meter. It shares similar features and is Brymen made, but internally it is night and day different.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 05:33:15 pm »
/*The Sanwa does not appear to be a BM86x meter. It shares similar features and is Brymen made, but internally it is night and day different.*/

So the sanwa is made by Brymen ?
Or is bryman really made by sanwa ???
im confused.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 07:44:21 pm »
/*The Sanwa does not appear to be a BM86x meter. It shares similar features and is Brymen made, but internally it is night and day different.*/

im confused.
Like I said the Sanwa is made y Brymen but appears to be an older or cheaper make. Definitely not the same quality as the BM869S
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 11:52:16 pm »
Review of it showing the internals and talks about the Brymen.   And he runs a KV test on the inputs.  :-+

Offline Napalm2002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 04:03:50 am »
Anyone buying brymen in the USA?  any good place to get them? Kinda intriguing

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 12:59:23 pm »

I would like to rephrase above.

It is slower than the DT4256 or 87v but better than most of others, such as, 5ky have done a superb video on many $50 DMMs.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-$50-multimeter-shootout-15-dmms-compared/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:03:18 pm by fanOfeeDIY »

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 01:01:41 pm »
I like your mind and your stories ,did you have an youtube channel ?
i wish to check it out :)

Nope, I have no video uploaded so far. :)

I might if I change my mind and have enough spare time, but thanks.

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 01:05:58 pm »

I know Franky's have a great store selling Byrmen to US and others.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/franky's-sales-thread/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:32:17 pm by fanOfeeDIY »

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 01:10:44 pm »
I am very curious about EEVblog DM1 and DM2 (which is only in the excel file) at the Wytnucls’ chart. :)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 03:25:24 pm »
The Brymen bm869 will be the next handheld DMM in my collection.  It just does everything well.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:33:55 pm by kj7e »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 06:08:43 pm »

I bought mine from here.  No problems.  Fast shipment, well packed.

http://www.tme.eu/en/details/bm869/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/bm869s/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 07:01:59 pm »
I am very curious about EEVblog DM1 and DM2 (which is only in the excel file) at the Wytnucls’ chart. :)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/
As yet not released.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 06:52:43 am »

im confused.
Like I said the Sanwa is made y Brymen but appears to be an older or cheaper make. Definitely not the same quality as the BM869S

Oki so now is clear to me ,brymen made sanwa and not viceversa.
At this point i simply must to decide which one ,fluke 87v or brymen 869s .... 8)

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 07:56:43 am »

im confused.

Oki so now is clear to me ,brymen made sanwa and not viceversa.
At this point i simply must to decide which one ,fluke 87v or brymen 869s .... 8)

May I clarify a bit? :)

The Sanwa PC7000 is probably ODM model of Brymen 867, since it has the same spec.
By watching the mjlorton's video referred by joeqsmith, PC7000 uses Brymen’s IC.
The quality of internal of PC7000 is pretty good.

But as PedroDaGr8 mentioned the PC7000 and the Brymen 867 do not have completely identical internals.
The Brymen is Taiwanese company and the Sanwa is Japanese company, and not the same company.

Making me feel like I should own both PC7000 and the Brymen. :)

Also, Sanwa has very long history of making multi meters.
Many of the analog multi meters were made by Sanwa and it was famous.
This is the link to the corporate history. The multi meter is called "Tester" in Japan.
http://overseas.sanwa-meter.co.jp/info/history.php
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:08:30 am by fanOfeeDIY »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 11:44:24 am »
In that video PC7000 he shows that it uses MOVs for the primary clamp.     In this older link for the 510, according to the OP they were using GDTs.  I could not tell from the pictures.  Wonder why the switch. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/sanwa-pc-510a-dmm-mini-review-teardown-pics/

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 12:01:51 pm »
May I clarify a bit? :)

The Sanwa PC7000 is probably ODM model of Brymen 867, since it has the same spec.
By watching the mjlorton's video referred by joeqsmith, PC7000 uses Brymen’s IC.
The quality of internal of PC7000 is pretty good.

But as PedroDaGr8 mentioned the PC7000 and the Brymen 867 do not have completely identical internals.
The Brymen is Taiwanese company and the Sanwa is Japanese company, and not the same company.

Making me feel like I should own both PC7000 and the Brymen. :)

Also, Sanwa has very long history of making multi meters.
Many of the analog multi meters were made by Sanwa and it was famous.
This is the link to the corporate history. The multi meter is called "Tester" in Japan.
http://overseas.sanwa-meter.co.jp/info/history.php
Thanks you very much ,i need info's wise and like like your :)

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 07:21:45 pm »
I'm not sure if all will agree with me here but this is my normal suggestion when people start diving into tools in general.  Start of slow, cheap and used when possible.  The only exception is if you just love tools for the same of tools or if you happen to find a killer deal.  With patients on ebay you can get some killer deals on both Fluke and non-Fluke multi-meters. 

First, you should probably be realistic about how much accuracy and resolution you need.  While I love my Fluke 187 and my 87-5 this has more to do with being a tool monger than really needing both.  The 87-5 is actually not that great a meter for me (relatively speaking) because the extra safety and durability are lost on my bench focused applications.  I picked up a Greenlee DM-200A (Brymen based similar to the 257 meter) for just a few bucks.  It's actually the meter I use the most because I like the smaller size and don't mind beating it around.

I would strongly suggest looking for an Amprobe AM-270 or AM-130 if they exist in your market.  Those are Brymen 85x based meters and can be had new off Amazon for $120 these days.  I've found like new off ebay for about $50.  That's a meter that is almost as good as the Fluke 87-5, especially if the last bit of rugged build isn't important.  I also have a Greenlee DM-820A.  It's related to the Brymen 869 that everyone loves.  It's a good meter but I don't like it as well as the Fluke 87-5 even though on paper it should be as good and better in many ways. 

Anyway, if you are patient and if your market is like the US market you should be able to find a nice meter in the $100-150 used range that should serve you very well.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 09:29:54 pm »
I would strongly suggest looking for an Amprobe AM-270 or AM-130 if they exist in your market.  Those are Brymen 85x based meters and can be had new off Amazon for $120 these days.  I've found like new off ebay for about $50.  That's a meter that is almost as good as the Fluke 87-5, especially if the last bit of rugged build isn't important.  I also have a Greenlee DM-820A.  It's related to the Brymen 869 that everyone loves.  It's a good meter but I don't like it as well as the Fluke 87-5 even though on paper it should be as good and better in many ways. 

Sorry to be pedantic, but I need to correct this. The AM-270 is a derivative of the BM815. The AM-130 is a derivative of something else that I don't know. They are not derivatives of the BM85X series.

Offline naragon1

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »
Sorry to be pedantic, but I need to correct this. The AM-270 is a derivative of the BM815. The AM-130 is a derivative of something else that I don't know. They are not derivatives of the BM85X series.

Lightages, would you happen to know which Greenlee models correspond to which Brymen models. Is there a page or a link somewhere?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 10:58:53 pm »
Sorry, but I can't refer to any specific list of comparisons. Many have been cross referenced here on the forums. I suppose I can do a quick list. Give me a day  :)

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 11:30:11 pm »
You worry too much. It's very unlikely they will drift, they're designed not to. Most people will never see any drift at all of a good multimeter.

Yes. I have a CIE 8002 I purchased for $40 in 1993. Never been calibrated, but still seems to perform within spec, at least as far as I can tell comparing it to my 87V and 34401A. Of course, it is only a 2000 count meter, but then again, I have done a lot of electronics hobby work with it over the years and can't recall ever wishing for more.

You normally only need calibration if you make devices that need a legal certification or something.

It seems a lot of people on this forum are really volt-nuts. Which is fine, I get it -- though I'm more of a time-nut myself. But from a practical perspective for hobby electronics work, you can get by with some pretty garbagy stuff.

For most users, more important than accuracy/cal is easy of use, battery life, size and contrast of display, how nicely the continuity works, etc.

And, of course, if you're measuring high voltage, low impedance sources, SAFETY.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:45:36 am by djacobow »

Offline kleblanc

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 12:43:22 am »
I agree with djacobow about go to meters. I use my Fluke 101 and 107 Chinese models more than my personal Fluke 289, 87V, 28, 375 clamp, Flir CM85 Clamp and an IBM/Fluke 8060AA (bought it because...).  The main reason being for my uses the 101/107 are good enough most the time and relatively inexpensive compared to the TRMS/Low Pass filter meters. If I really need accuracy I use my 34401a that I picked up used for $300.

Any more accuracy than that, I could just use our work meters (Calibration lab).

I guess the take away is

A good/cost effective go to meter that will cover 90% of your uses. Then a bench meter to cover the remaining uses. It's always helpful to have that second,third meter when needed.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 03:03:22 am »

Are you sure about that?  They appear to be almost identical on the outside and in specs. 

Am-270
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Amprobe-AM-270-Industrial-Multimeter-with-Bar-Graph-Display-/361410139868?hash=item5425b916dc%3Ag%3ALCkAAOSwA4dWITHr&nma=true&si=cMjxQ3AgXfOjQrnpoFDR2MkWNI8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

AM-130
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amprobe-AM-130-TRMS-Tester-True-RMS-Digital-Multimeter-PC-Connection-Temp-/191756048225?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item2ca58d1761%3Ag%3AUzYAAOSwBahVeJ3z&nma=true&si=cMjxQ3AgXfOjQrnpoFDR2MkWNI8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Even the Amprobe brochure makes it sound like one is just a rebadge of the other.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:08:26 am by Robomeds »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 03:20:52 am »
Yes I am sure. The AM-120,130 and 140 are not current models and I do not know what Brymen they originated from. They might have been only available from Amprobe with those features. The AM-270 is a BM815 in a different housing.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 03:46:46 am »
Yes I am sure. The AM-120,130 and 140 are not current models and I do not know what Brymen they originated from. They might have been only available from Amprobe with those features. The AM-270 is a BM815 in a different housing.

I know they aren't current but if you look at both the interior construction (I think there are some old threads about this).  If you look at this data sheet it's clear they all but copied the AM-130 specs for the 270 and they even said Am-130 at one point when they should have said the newer meter.  I can believe it's an updated PCB but I have trouble seeing it as much more than that.  If you look at my AM-120 teardown you can see it's related to the same family of meters (but not the same as the 270 or 130)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/amprobe-%28bryman%29-am130-teardown/

This isn't like say the AM-570 family which is clearly not related to the 270 inside or out.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 03:05:25 pm »
So here im ,the judment moment is coming out !!!
I haven't too much money so i will go with hioki 4256 ,because i think it will be an good multimeter for an hobbist radio beginner like me.
In the future if i will be need i will buy something more serious ,maybe an second hand keithley....
However i don't really like fluke 87V, because i know about he's problems so it's not very good for an expensive meter like that to have this kind of problems........Read also my comment under this video ,im Gregan.Dark :

Guys im a little bit worried about this buy,so wish me the best about the hioki 4256...  :-DMM
Thanks to all.
I'm not sure if faded displays are unique to Fluke 87s.  Do keep in mind that Flukes with faded displays are often 20 years old.  In general 87s are very dependable.  But given the price and I presume your intent to use this on the bench, the extra durability of the 87 over much of the competition is likely not added value.  I guess this is my way of saying, go for it if someone else is paying.

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2016, 06:39:05 pm »
I'm not sure if faded displays are unique to Fluke 87s.  Do keep in mind that Flukes with faded displays are often 20 years old.  In general 87s are very dependable.  But given the price and I presume your intent to use this on the bench, the extra durability of the 87 over much of the competition is likely not added value.  I guess this is my way of saying, go for it if someone else is paying.

Fluke 87V has numerous problems not just 1 or 2.
Actually i haven't too much cash ,so i can't afford for my self something of very expensive in range of 300 euros and more.
In any case if in the future i will have some spare cash i will buy for my self hioki 4281-82 ,because i really like he's basic precision and the set of functions included in it.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2016, 07:03:18 pm »
Why would you buy the Hioki 4256 when for less money you can get the Brymen BM867? It beats the Hioki in so many specifications and costs even less at $150. Even the BM869 is only $10 more at around $210 from tme.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 07:29:32 pm »

Fluke 87V has numerous problems not just 1 or 2.
Actually i haven't too much cash ,so i can't afford for my self something of very expensive in range of 300 euros and more.
In any case if in the future i will have some spare cash i will buy for my self hioki 4281-82 ,because i really like he's basic precision and the set of functions included in it.

Which problems are you thinking of.  It's a great meter but also a very expensive meter.  While I don't like my Greenlee DM820a better, it's hard to argue the Brymen based meters like my Greenlee isn't a better value.  In the US the 820a can be had off eBay in near new condition for just over $100. 

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2016, 09:26:39 pm »
Actually the BM257S is probably a better meter than the Hioki 4256. It can be purchased from iloveelectronics here for $135 shipped, or from tme for $110 plus shipping. Then there is the BM827 which is better than the Hioki and costs $122 plus shipping from tme. To me it makes absolutely no sense to spend that much on the Hioki.

Offline Deckert

• Regular Contributor
    • TechBench
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2016, 09:40:17 pm »
Why would you buy the Hioki 4256 when for less money you can get the Brymen BM867? It beats the Hioki in so many specifications and costs even less at $150.

Totally agree here. The Brymen BM867 is my "base standard" in terms of an accurate meter in my lab. I took it for re-cal at a cal-lab in Johannesburg after owning it for two years. The guy at the cal-lab told me they check the Brymen meters before calibrating them, since they drift so little. He said they only re-cal if they see the meter is out of spec, which happens rarely. They do the same with the Flukes.

With the money you save, you can even add the smaller BM257 (or the upcoming EEVblog Brymen meters) as a second meter for field use later on.

Also, the Hioki 4256 doesn't have a uA range and only measures down to 1 nF. What's up with that?

--deckert

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 10:36:29 pm »

Maybe they've improved them now.

(But it will take 20 years to find out the truth...  :popcorn: )

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2016, 07:03:33 pm »
So here im :)
After some moments of deep thinking i've decide to wait ,get more money and go with fluke 87v or hioki 4282  :-DMM
Thanks to all for your help.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2016, 01:15:02 am »
Only noticed this thread now, that you’ve already made up your mind. Still thought I’ll throw in my 2 cents…

I have more meters than I can count and at least half of them are bench meters.

The best handheld meter that I have is a Metrix MX54 that is more than 20 years old. It has 50000 counts and its measurement ranges and accuracies are about as good as it gets for a handheld meter (especially back then). It never has been calibrated, but still is within spec (and yes, I do have the calibration sources and calibrated precision meters to verify that). So this confirms what others have said already – a quality meter needs not be calibrated for private use, where you don’t have to comply with ISO9000 standards and the like.

While I personally don’t have any need for a new handheld meter – as I rarely use them nowadays anyway, because bench meters are so much more practical for a lab – if I were to buy a new handheld, it would certainly be the HIOKI DT4282 – for the same reasons I chose the MX54 some 25 years ago…

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2016, 03:16:41 am »
Only noticed this thread now, that you’ve already made up your mind. Still thought I’ll throw in my 2 cents…

I have more meters than I can count and at least half of them are bench meters.

The best handheld meter that I have is a Metrix MX54 that is more than 20 years old. It has 50000 counts and its measurement ranges and accuracies are about as good as it gets for a handheld meter (especially back then). It never has been calibrated, but still is within spec (and yes, I do have the calibration sources and calibrated precision meters to verify that). So this confirms what others have said already – a quality meter needs not be calibrated for private use, where you don’t have to comply with ISO9000 standards and the like.

While I personally don’t have any need for a new handheld meter – as I rarely use them nowadays anyway, because bench meters are so much more practical for a lab – if I were to buy a new handheld, it would certainly be the HIOKI DT4282 – for the same reasons I chose the MX54 some 25 years ago…

I have one of these BK Precision 5390's.  They are a Matrix based meter and very nice.  I did a tear down a while back.  They are one of those, 'if you can find one' sort of meters.

Here is one on eBay for $70.  Good price but a bit beat up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281890965270?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Not mine.  No connection to seller. 

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 09:54:54 am »
Today my beauty is here with me and of course im so excited !!!!
 :-DMM :-DMM :-DMM :-DMM :-DMM :-DMM :-DMM

:scared:
Can't describe my happiness  O0
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:57:17 am by Wolfram.Chrome »

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 11:29:09 am »
[...]
Good catch at very reasonable price (as far as Europe is concerned)!
Your 87V will be a faithful and reliable companion for many years, I'm sure.

Have fun!
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 11:38:37 am »
Good catch at very reasonable price (as far as Europe is concerned)!
Your 87V will be a faithful and reliable companion for many years, I'm sure.

Have fun!

Thank you very much!
i really can't describe the happiness inside my soul,i've desired this multimeter for too long time (science 2014) and finally i have realize my little dream  :-DMM

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2016, 03:58:32 pm »

Great! I could feel your joy even from your post. :)

And you seem to have good test leads too.
Is it Fluke TL175?

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2016, 06:39:42 pm »
Great! I could feel your joy even from your post. :)
And you seem to have good test leads too.
Is it Fluke TL175?

Yes they are the tl175 probes!
them was already out of the box 8)

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2016, 07:15:28 pm »

I've had one of my 87's since 1992, I did eventually have to replace the zebra strips but for the most part it's been a good meter and remained in cal. Although the 87 was expensive to purchase new, Fluke do maintain parts for these meters and so the long term cost of ownership is good.

I do like the leads they supplied with your meter.

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2016, 11:48:03 pm »

I've had one of my 87's since 1992.
I do like the leads they supplied with your meter.
Im born in 1992/1october so wooow your fluke is +/- old like me  ^-^
and yes ,it was a surprise for me too with 175tl leads already out-of-the-box.
 8)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:51:28 pm by Wolfram.Chrome »

Offline Hobby73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2016, 04:18:56 am »

Thanks for making this good point, I was wondering about this myself. 

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2016, 12:12:11 am »
Guys, the Joke of destiny Defeat me.
I can't stay anymore in electronics ,so im leaving it step by step.
I just want to finish my metcal project and after i will STOP EVERYTHING !!!
If you are interested in my meter (NOT YET USED IN WORKS),if you are willing to buy it ,just check out :
http://tinyurl.com/houoohl
Enjoy and stay cool ,because life is beauty !!!

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2016, 12:46:49 am »
I am sorry to read that you are exiting the hobby. I hope you are well.

The following users thanked this post: Wolfram.Chrome

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf