Author Topic: Which differential probe?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline HousedadTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Which differential probe?
« on: December 07, 2018, 07:18:26 pm »
I have been looking at getting the MSIG DP10013 (130/1300v) differential probe and want to make darn sure that it is sufficient for my needs, so I am asking about it here.  Cost is a issue right now, and what I do is all Hobby level, so $150 or so is the max limit. 

The highest voltages that I expect to ever see would be on Tube radio sets like a AA5 or AA6, or the output of a VFD drive (240V 3ph).

Do you think the DP10013 is sufficient for this or should I get a DP20003 (560/5600V) unit later for those uses? Anything else I will be doing is mostly lower voltage and power.

I guess I should throw in that I may work on the occasional solid state (70's-80's) stereos.

At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Paul Moir

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Which differential probe?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 09:02:05 pm »
Unless you have a specific need, I would go with the DP10013:  don't forget you're going to be loosing out on the bottom end with a 200x rather than 50x probe.  That is to say a 0.1V signal becomes a 2mV.  How well does your oscilloscope do down there?

EDIT:  Off by an order of magnitude...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:39:51 am by Paul Moir »

Offline boB

• Frequent Contributor
    • my work www
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:22:04 pm »

The lowest price I find for the Micsig probes are $142 plus shipping of course.

Works well.  I  HAVE had two of them give me an output offset that I can't fix.  Have been talking with the seller about that.

Hopefully we can get that taken care of but good probes in general especially for the price.
K7IQ

Offline HousedadTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 04:09:45 am »
Thanks for the input.  I dropped the hint (text) to my wife for Xmas for the DP10013.  She's been looking for something to give me.  We'll see if this suits her fancy for a present.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf